So, I never got around to finishing Fallout 4...

So, I never got around to finishing Fallout 4, but was it ever explained why the Institute was mass producing hundreds of flesh-eating, human-hating orc monsters and unleash them onto the Commonwealth?
Because with all the people they've killed and towns they've wiped out, the super mutants were a way bigger problem than the Synths ever were.

Attached: supermutant.png (771x1080, 1.4M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-r-gZrK64Qo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the reason is Todd is a dumb-dumb and it jsut workds

Attached: f4 there is no why.png (1174x1878, 294K)

it's just a trainwreck

Attached: institute.png (1622x549, 226K)

because beth needed an excuse to put the iconic enemy in their game,
the same with the cult of atom, despite them only being a small cult all the way across the country.

Much like the Brotherhood, Bethesda needed any sort of bullshit excuse to force them into the game.

And to clarify, by I mean there fucking isn't one. They just did it and its never explained.

Because you're gay.

Because The Institutes motives were never clear or fully explained. Bethesda just wanted to have a cool scientist faction and probably just added that detail as a little bit of background lore without thinking of the implications.

Seriously I think Fallout 4 might have the dumbest writing I've ever seen in a videogame. It's like the writers never had a meeting and just threw a bunch of random ideas at a wall. Not taking into account how they'd actually fit in the game.

I believe it was unintentional and the Super mutants escaped from the lab.

I didn't play FO4. Is this real or vastly exaggerated?

Because it's Fallout so it has to have Super Mutants just like it has to have BoS because they're Iconic™

It's spot on

>can use perk to raise SPECIAL
It's not bad when New Vegas does it, I guess.

its as real as it gets, the the fact base building and base securing makes no difference is beyond retarded, you can have as many guns and walls as the game allows you to build and you still need to help them, and when you get there you can watch the turrets mopping the floor with the attackers faster than you can orient yourself

It's real.

Settlements will really ask you to deal with a group of raiders on the other end of the map.

The dialogue system is really dumbed down.

There is no option to talk things over between the factions.

Settlements will be attacked by raiders no matter how high the defense or how many rocket turrets you have set up AND if you don't Fast travel there within a time limit there is a chance that the attack on your settlement may be successful - no matter how many rocket turrets or robots you have for defense.

The story really is that stupid at times.

The only thing on the list that didn't bother me so much was the fact that the protag could use power armor without training, I figured that with a military background (if you play male) he might've had some training.

no they dumped them in the surface, one of the computer logs says as such.

In NV you can get a few SPECIAL attributes via implants or by sacrificing a Perk slot to get a single point in SPECIAL, but in 4 there are no skills nor perks. Your special will be 10-10-10-10-10-10-10 in no time and the "skills" are just "rifles/melee/explosives/small arms do 20-40-60-80-100% more damage"

while they shouldnt be there i really like the look of them

fallout 4 super mutants look really nice

How is it possible that the game has relatively postive rating ffs? With script this lazy/stupid?

it rode on the massive hype train and the visuals looked neat
also power armor actually looked and felt like a walking tank, if there's something they did right it was that

Ghouls who have been in the fridge wihtout food or water for 200 years, only one "city" in the whole commonwealth after 200 years in which nobody has bothered to clean up the rubble or trash for 200 years, BoS, Deathclaws, Super Mutants and Church of Atom all in the commonwealth makes the normies feel like Fallout.

>Seriously I think Fallout 4 might have the dumbest writing I've ever seen in a videogame. It's like the writers never had a meeting and just threw a bunch of random ideas at a wall. Not taking into account how they'd actually fit in the game.
You're more right than you think. They don't really have a dedicated writing team, stuff like terminal and audio logs you find in dungeons and other locations are written by whoever designed it. It's why you get pre-war accounts of Jet and other inconsistencies all ovdr the place, they don't have a dedicated lore master who makes sure everything stays consistent with everything else.

aside from the lore, it's actually a decent game. add modding capability and you can turn that decent into something you like better. and guess zoomers don't really care about lore that much.

todd howard can lick my taint

Attached: fo4 supermutant original.png (752x2448, 2.29M)

shit all these have reaction image potential

theres litterally a super mutant scientist and a super mutant companion

From idea to execution the Super Mutants in FO4 look like shit.

Attached: Fallout 1 Lou.png (803x414, 518K)

>in no time
I wish, it takes forever.

you honestly think that looks good? you tarded or something

how does one raise SPECIAL in FO4? If there are no perks, what is there to replace them? Don't tell me FO4 has no perks

These prerenders are better than anything Bethesda could ever hope to shit out.

Attached: Harry.jpg (640x480, 61K)

>Supermutant
>looks like a fucking Orc
Seriously? I don't recall supermutants in past games looking like Orcs.

Yes, but in previous Fallouts the Brotherhood was portrayed as a massive military force. So they mattered.

What orc looks like that? Not Warhammer, Elder Scrolls, Warcraft or Lord of the Rings.

So which Orc is it?

Admittedly it has the best gunplay of the 3D Fallouts. But that wasn't enough to keep me interested. Still haven't beaten it or play any of the DLC, even though I got the season pass.

most "perks" have 5 levels to them and they're "you do 20-40-60-80-100% more damage with weapontype x"
A lot of the perks are for crafting and dismantling items (science, repair etc), some just give you stupid shit like a green line that leads you to your next quest objective if you're too retarded to follow the quest pointer
Also most of these perks have level requirements so you'll come to a point where you cant put a point to something you want, making you save that point for a later level, getting something mundane you dont want or need or just slap em onto your SPECIALs

>Brotherhood
To be fair they are spread around the country in somewhat different factions
what is dumb is that they decided to bring the washington chapter of all people instead of someone new from those places

also there are no skills or skillpoints, it's just 60% more rifle damage with rifleman 3 or science tier 3 lets you hack tier 3 computers. It's really sad.

It's pretty obvious that they're the descendants of the scientists/government officials that went underground before the bombs fell.

if that was the case, then why dont they already have people that have never been radiated?

The Enclave are already the descendants of the US Government

The Institute is the Think Tank from Old World Blues, only without any of the depth.

I have a fun story about the Far Harbor DLC, but don't want to siderail the thread since FO4 isn't a MMO.

Shit, I thought I was in a different thread, I am legit retarded.

Eh reminds me of portraits i've seen in stuff like Arcanum and Icewind Dale but turns out they're really just half orcs instead.

You can't just announce that you have a funny story that you're not going to tell, user.

they are descendents of uni students, wich explains the intelligence but no further thinking

While we’re talking about the shitty writing can someone explain why the everlasting fuck anyone stays in the “commonwealth”? The only fucking difference between Boston and literally any-fucking-where else is there’s a pretty good chance you’ll be replaced by a robot duplicate and nobody will be able to tell unless said duplicate is killed and cut open. I mean think about it what did diamond city have that Megaton didn’t? Sure if you want you could say they have no alternative but numerous characters in fo4 prove that leaving or entering the commonwealth is possible hell according to Macready good neighbour has fucking caravans go all the way to Washington apparently
Why does the commonwealth even fucking exist???

too late, storytime now

And that's what doesn't make sense about the story. Instead of making synths they could simply reproduce. They even released super mutants in the commonwealth for shits and giggles. No motive.
You get what I mean.

So, I never got around to finishing Fallout 1, but was it ever explained why the Master was mass producing hundreds of flesh-eating, human-hating orc monsters and unleash them onto the Wasteland?
Because with all the people they've killed and towns they've wiped out, the super mutants were a way bigger problem than the Enclave ever was.

On a serious note, there aren't that many supermutants in the Commonwealth, both canonically and in the game itself. The Institute created them for the same reason the Master did but with a different strain which made them all super-aggressive. Apparently they were as easy to make as the ones in Fallout 3 which were hardcoded to bring humans to a central point to create more supermutants. Ironically this hardcoded approach renders telepathic control unnecessary.
All in all it's just speculation, just like many things in Fallout 2 were explained in a handbook that came out after release and was deemed canon by the powers that be.
Bethesda/Todd just never bothered elaborating on it because 90% of their customers didn't even care about such things in the first place.

Story Time fuck knuckles

Because another settlement needs your help.

Attached: Preston_garvey_icon.png (736x998, 1.5M)

The Master was creating the Unity, a way to both upgrade humanity to survive the wasteland and remove all differences between them to end conflict. He fully believed that once all humanity was Super Mutants or dead, his master race would live in perpetual peace and rebuild a new civilization.

The dead stare all NPCs have in Fallout 4 really makes the models look ten times worse than they already are.

Reminder to finish the Nuka World DLC before rescuing Preston if you want the perks.

The Institute is creating synthetic people which are completely immune against the hazards of the Wasteland and can be remotely controlled as slave laborers. The Institute is also researching technology that lets you copy and insert a whole consciousness into those synthetic people.
Those synthetic may not be able to reproduce by themselves (yet) but you can make an infinite amount of copies given the chemical ingredients.

Fine.

>get tired of all the Commonwealth junk and decide to hit up one of the DLC areas
>go for Far Harbor instead of Nuka-World since I had the quest to save the Asian girl from Nick
>progress through the story, meet the Synth in charge, DiMA (Nick's "brother")
>find out he has all these contingencies in place to deal with the town and the lunatics in the sub in case he had to 'pick a side' but forcefully made himself forget because human emotions despite robot
>see the cultists in the sub are fucking insane
>use his plan and hand the key to the sub's nuke to Father Crazypants and he blows himself and all the cultists up
>tell DiMA about it, including how it I just followed his plan, and he gives me a passive aggressive spiel about how it was wrong but he blames himself
Cont

>So, I never got around to finishing Fallout 4, but was it ever explained why the Institute was mass producing hundreds of flesh-eating, human-hating orc monsters and unleash them onto the Commonwealth?

The actual in-game explanation is fucking retarded, but sure:
-The Institute was developing their own brand of FEV with the ultimate intention of using it to cultivate synthetic organs.... Even though that isn't what FEV does. Technically.
-On the way 'to that path' they turned a bunch of people into Super Mutants and instead of killing them they tagged them and released them into the wild. I literally have no idea why they did this.
-Once they had perfected the cultivation of synthetic organs they used them to make Synths ?because regular robots weren't good enough?
-Finally, when they had completed the production of Synths they began kidnapping people and replacing them with Synth copies (the originals were then turned into Super Mutants and released back into The CommonWealth). ?because even though they had Synth Crows they weren't good enough?

If you want to know 'why' you're going to be disappointed. I'm coming down from a 184 hour playthrough of Fallout 4 (I liked the building) and not once does any faction treat you with even a small amount of respect, dignity, nor is there ever any moment where you can just sit down with someone and have them explain in detail why they're doing anything.

It's 100% completely true and is in no way an exaggeration.

>fallout 4 super mutants look really nice

I agree actually.
I really like the look of the SM despite them only having -one- model and I love the look of their armor.
I'm beyond fucking dissapointed you can't play as a Super Mutant and/or a Ghoul in Fallout 76. Bethesda releases a 'not' Fallout mmo with no fucking playable races.

Attached: latest[1].png (648x1080, 610K)

Holy shit

Isn't the reason that everyone was dead in Vault 111 was lack of maintenance due to a staff revolt and it was sheer dumb luck that your pod was the last one to fail, probably cause the institute messed with it when they took Shaun. Technically the institute only killed your spouse and by messing with your pod when they stole him, they saved your life.

I hate how this faggot speaks like the shi or any "science" group in fallout is any good. Ever since 2 I've been dreading more autism like that because they're the worst kind of faction for a setting, a near flawless universal solvent.
Let me explain: Imagine you're playing super mario, suddenly a you're told about a super duper great faction with no flaws and infinite kindness that comes around and just killed all of bowsers army. Then you play trough the game. No enemies at all, sure you get your enviromental hazards like pits and those little spinny fires but you don't get anything actually iconic of super mario.

That's how fallout and what these stupid universal solution factions are. It's just as shitty as having a ghoul sit in a fridge for 200 years because XD so cool EPIC!1!

Oh and his argument is retarded too, it's not like the institute or even the majority of the wastes has any connection to these disgusting fucking "factions"

because the master neede pure unirradiated humans to make first gens SM, otherwise you lose all semblance of intelligence.
obviously the master didn't want them to be cannibalistic monsters, you can't bring about the next stage in evolution without people to evolve
also the Enclave uses a lot of people to unearth the mariposa base after the masters defeat which caused even more second gen SM

it's weird how little the synth crows come up
there's some monitors in the 'tute viewing things from bird height and that old minuteman lady mentions them once and that's it right?

The Brotherhood is the only logical faction.

>find out the town mayor is a Synth he put in charge so he could manipulate her if need be, so I decide to use his plan for the town and shut the windmill down
>the fog and the creatures in it swallow the town
>walk in and pick off some stragglers myself, looting all these chowderhead fucks
>once again inform DiMA of my actions
>again he blames himself, as if feeling remorse for his actions makes him human or something
>at this point I've finished all the quests I care about here so I use the information I learned about DiMA to turn Kasumi against him
>get her to leave and return to her parents in the Commonwealth
>head back there myself to get my reward from her parents
>afterwards I visit Maxwell and inform him of the Synth refuge
>he sends me and a large group to wipe it out
>storm the facility and gun down everyone in sight
>the only thing left on this island are the fog monsters and various respawning enemies
Long live the Brotherhood.

That pic just shows how bullshit Fallout lore and stories have always been

it wasn't a revolt, Kelogg killed them all
as for why only you survived it was so they could use your DNA or someting since you were the parent of the kid they took

>synth crows
im sorry what? you mean to tell me i now have a reason to shoot them?

The Master needing unirradiated humans (more like not exposed to the FEV) was just a caveat reason why SM needed people who still lived in vaults, it served no other purpose than targetting people you're bound to protect. It serves no other logical consistency, people in the Wasteland aren't significally more irradiated than people from vaults, the only difference is the FEV being transmitted by air. And if the reason is the FEV but SM are only created through the FEV, how come you need someone not being modified by the FEV?

>sides with the brotherhood
>kills two towns full of innocents
yeah that checks out

thanks for sharing user
never played the DLCs, is there actually a windmill that blows fog away? That would be perfect.

yep

Attached: synth birds.png (1060x1156, 1.14M)

I ended up killing DiMA in my first run too. I was (and still am) convinced he was a bad guy because the moment you meet him -literally the moment- the first thing he tries to do is gaslight you into thinking you're a Synth.
DiMA is a manipulator through and through: he tries to wax poetic about the morality of what he's doing, about his own humanity, and constantly tries to dredge up sympathy from others while continuing to do awful things.

>how come you need someone not being modified by the FEV?
because the strain in the air has undergone mutation? you wouldn't use dirty and expired medicine when doing treatment would you?

nah man, read the terminals in the area just before the fucked up generator, says something about the security staff wanting to leave and the scientist/maintenance staff wanting to stay (or something along those lines) one side revolts, massacres the other side and leaves, kellog arrives later kills your spouse and takes your kid. I reckon it was them "cycling" your sector of the cryopods that meant you didn't suffocate in your pod and die like the rest of the occupants

>innocents
>Far Harbor is run by a secret Synth being manipulated by DiMA because he can't let one faction get the upper hand on the other
>The Children of the Atom in the sub are fucking nuts like all CotA characters are
>all the characters in DiMA's "sanctuary" are accessories to his insane mindset
To be fair pretty much every faction in FO4 is terrible, but siding with the Brotherhood allowed me to do something extra.

You can literally see people in the other pods struggling and dying when kellog shoots your wife dude.

>kill everyone based on the actions of their leader that they knew nothing about
user...

That's not menacing whatsoever, or ugly. What the fuck, why? They're supposed to be somewhat threatening.

well shit time to go full chinese on them
also can you loot them at all? i can't remember.

nope

>the first thing he tries to do is gaslight you into thinking you're a Synth.
That's the whole point of the DLC though. His view is that it doesn't matter whether you are a synth or not as long as you're capable of thinking like a normal person. In the end you still don't know if Kasumi is a human or not as well.

DiMA had the key to the sub's nuke storage hidden away.
He also orchestrated that the windmill that's like 200yds east of this sanctuary is powering the devices that protect the town of Far Harbor from the fog monsters and only he knew how to bypass the system to shut it down.
All this because he wanted both groups to stay sorta neutral but mostly so they would focus on each other and not delve too much into his 2001: Space Odyssey mindset.

>In the end you still don't know if Kasumi is a human or not as well.
until you kill her

i'm going to chalk this up to bethesda fucking up, i always believed that everyone was killed by choking on cryofluid/lack of oxygen as they weren't maintained properly, purely from the few backstory terminals in 111. Plus running the alternate start mod has meant i haven't seen the beginning in about 18+ months

I thought the radiation thing was ret-conned? Or at the very least an in-setting misconception?
It wasn't the radiation, it was the fact that all organic life in the wasteland is saturated and infected by a naturalized form of FEV that's both airborne and waterborne. The 'natural' FEV causes numerous radical mutations and more subtle adaptations allowing the plants, animals, and people to survive the wastelands (as it was intentionally designed to).
So then the issue is these random people out in the wastes (and all other organisms) are already infected with FEV, so if you infect them FURTHER with more concentrated strands or what have you- you get fucked up Super Mutants and Centaurs or whatever.

It's actually worse

Based af.
The only reedeming parts of FO4 were mowing down the Railroad and the synths with the Brotherhood.

To me, the most retarded, pretentious, unacceptable part of FO4 was the mere existence of the Railroad. "Hey, we live in a dangerous, irradiated wasteland where people can barely scrape by and are in constant danger. Let's dedicate our life to saving these androids, it should definitely be our priority!"

The most fun I had in F4 was making tidy and autistic supply lines following the former roads linking every settlement together.

Attached: oh shit will you show me.jpg (300x356, 18K)

I mean yeah, most of the evidence shows that she's not a synth but none of them directly confirms it.
>No synth component on her when died
Some other synths don't have that too

Fuck Strong and everything about his.
>storm the tower and get Strong as a companion
>he's incredibly stupid
>apparently was fed some bull about humans will make him stronger
>decide to have him tag along as a meat shield
>continue picking locks to safes and breaking and entering buildings
>'Strong dislikes that'
Excuse you? You come from a race that wants to eliminate and eat any human they come across yet lock picking somehow invalidates your moral compass. Was so glad when I eventually found Cait.

I honestly couldn't find any reason to even attempt role playing so I just went the safest route possible that left everyone alive and liking me outside the Institute. Also whoever chose Boston as a locale was an idiot. Bethesda needs to realize there's more locations to the United States than the 13 colonies. We could've been fighting mutated alligators and man eating fish in Baton Rouge by now if they got their heads out of their collective asses.

I'm guessing that the Brotherhood is the canonical winner in Fallout 4 since Bethesda loves sucking their dicks all the time. How long until they conquer the NCR?

reminder that when Bethesda took over the GOG versions of Fallout 1 and 2 from Black Isle they removed the ebook of the Fallout Bible from the extras customers receive.
Really makes you think...

They're just PETA for robots.

I also remember finishing the main Nuka-World questline and moved on to establishing Operator and Disciple outposts in the Commonwealth.
>Preston tells me I'm a horrible person for giving land away to these raiders
>but since I lead the Minutemen he has to respect my decision
Is there any redeemable quality in Preston? Hell, the other characters with him are trash except for Sturges who is at least a decent character.

The worst part about the Railroad is that the bleeding heart at Bethesda who wrote them so obviously wants you to think they're the good guys, but you only have to think critically for a few seconds to realize how nonsensical their goals are.

>They're just PETA for robots.
>goes through lengths to "save" robots by killing people and later mind wiping the robots, effectively "killing" them
checks out
>except for Sturges who is at least a decent character.
>the best characters are synths
maybe the institute is onto something

Hi

Attached: Emil_Pagliarulo.png (512x512, 524K)

nuff said

>yfw he's no longer in charge of writing after Fallout 4

>mfw

Attached: 1563784214736.gif (207x207, 1.37M)

There is no exaggeration at all. This is exactly the plot if you side with the Railroad. You can instead choose the Brotherhood, the Institute, or the Minutemen to win, but they're all retarded.

You aren't missing anything. Far Harbor is the only one even almost worth playing and its still pretty shit with the same shitty fart-sniffing "muh humanity" synth bullshit.

This so fucking much, but it gets worse:

In the Nuka-World expansion you go to the Nuka-World theme park and it's revealed they have a Zoo/Safari Zone, but the Zoo is completely infested with an Alligator Deathclaw variant called Gatorclaws (instead of something clever like Gatorjaws). These Gatorclaws are the product of a Ghoul Geneticist and the Zoo's CLONING MACHINE located in the basement. The Ghoul was originally using the cloning machine to keep himself fed (replicating the flesh of animals for sustenance indefinitely), but when the three raider gangs moved in he became frightened and started doing experiments in an attempt to clone some sort of guard-creature.

As soon as he had finished making one it immediately killed him and the machine was just left on to make more and more Gatorclaws.
You get a quest to clear out the Gatorclaws and stop the machine, but from there you have two options: you can turn off the machine or turn it back on and instead it will clone Gazelles.

-You cannot do anything else with this machine. This machine which is not only a near 'infinite' source of animals, but can be used to genetically modify and cobble together new animals. Nothing.
-No other faction is interested in this AMAZING machine: the Institute doesn't care, the Brotherhood doesn't care, nobody cares about this literal Noah's Ark device. It makes animals. IT MAKES ANIMALS.

Attached: nuka-world-gatorclaw[1].jpg (2560x1440, 753K)

Another thing is how the entire 'twist' of babby Shaun being an old man relies on the player being a mouthbreathing troglodyte and just assuming the Sole Survivor was unfrozen again immediately after seeing Shaun get taken.

It's been a while since I've played the game but don't you kill the mercenary guy who took Shaun and killed your wife, and isn't he the exact same age as he was in the vault?

No, he's a bit older, but that doesn't make the writing any less retarded

Is gaining 20% damage per level with (weapon type) really that much worse than gaining __% more damage per skill point in (weapon type)
Is getting the ability to hack/pick an additional tier per perk really that much worse than the same goddamn checkpoint at 25/50 etc
Literally the same thing, only better clarified, with no useless points

fallout 4 was a burning dumpster fire, the only real thing it improved upon was the shooting mechanics. almost everything else was a stepdown

Attached: fallout4story.png (1580x776, 129K)

>be Bethesda
>create daedroth model in Oblivion
>use it for 13 fucking years

>there's an empty fully equipped vault literally 100 yards away
I feel really stupid that despite all my criticisms of FO4 I somehow missed this

Attached: 1539520604802.png (625x773, 143K)

Technically bethesda is still using Morrowind's engine.

So what was the institute's plan if the player character stepped out of the vault and got killed by a raider right away?

Attached: curious halfling.png (415x407, 338K)

>no option to bury your wife/husband
>have to just leave them in the fridge to get eaten by radroaches

Those are literally the exact same thing

make a synth of him?

>So what was the institute's plan if the player character stepped out of the vault and got killed by a raider right away?

'You' (Lets me honest, you're either Nate or Nora, you can't roleplay in this game) were never a part of the Institute's plan.
Father lets you in and puts you in charge on a whim. The rest of the Institute goes with it because they're NPCS.

>what Obsidian and the players find interesting
What the challenges of the wastes filtered through the ghosts of pre-war america do to effect new human civilizations and their growth
>what bethesda find interesting
lol everything is destroyed

I'm not saying that either crowd 100% dismiss the other side, but it's a case of where the priorities are. Bethesda care about nothing besides acting as if the bombs literally fell last week, as well as trying to offer more and more windows into pre-bomb America.

For real?

youtube.com/watch?v=-r-gZrK64Qo
>Railroad

Attached: 1554027429609.png (219x400, 55K)

Hmm... gotta be.

Attached: 1464368516098.png (277x321, 216K)

>>what Obsidian and the players find interesting
When a large majority of your current fanbase started with F3, I'd say a lot of players believe Fallouts world looks like that of a recent destroyed civilization, and not the slow recovery as depicted in 2 and NV.

And with the writers you have morons like Chris Avellone who thinks the world needs to be reset with more nukes because its becoming too developed (see Lonesome Road). For me personally, its this distinction that makes Fallout unique. It's not just some by the book post apocalyptic setting; its post, post apocalyptic. The struggle for basic survival is over. Its now a struggle between the people who have emerged victorious, whatever their ideology may be.

didn't the OWB teleporter only bring you to the starter room?

>basic survival is over. Its now a struggle between the people who have emerged victorious, whatever their ideology may be.
I somewhat agree but you still need to have a large under-class that really is struggling to survive.
It can't just be all casinos.
Basically Fallout needs to be like India.

I'm pretty sure every Fallout game had the ability to raise special with perks, but the difference is that perks were far more valuable back then, and special points much more sparse. In the others you had to minmax hard to get anywhere close to 10s across the board, whereas in 4 it's doable in the first 20 or so levels and practically difficult to avoid towards the endgame

>that 90s cgi
i really like the way it looks for some unexplained reason

On the topic of Nuka World, I just felt the whole DLC was a complete waste of potential. Walt Disney, Disney World and Coke-Cola are some of the most important culture features in American history, yet they're all forced to take a backseat to all the Raider bullshit.

I don't want to compare Fallout 4 to New Vegas, but I'm just saying that if it was Robert House's head who had trapped in the basement of Nuka World, he would of already convinced the raiders to work in his gift stores and turned the whole park into a tourist trap to fund his space program.

Attached: wdwbadge.jpg (363x400, 48K)

I agree.
It somehow looks quite gritty without a lot of overblown lighting.
The shadows are strong, the metal has a good texture, the eyeballs always look shiny.
It looks really good to this day.

>Soda themed raiders
>with soda themed taunts
>"Time to pop your cap off!"
stop, i don't want to imagine the wasted potential

they're very recognizable and marketable
don't ever make anything new, just recycle old things because brand recognition is more important than anything
classic corporate cockroach mentality, take last year and add 5%

I recently tried this game again after having bought the GOTY version on a sale a long time ago. Am I making a big mistake by going for melee weapons? I remember doing a melee build when I tried FO4 after launch which was kind of a slog up until you got some must-have perks like blitz, at which point you became a teleporting god that nothin' personnel'd people from 100 yards away. I'm only level 11 now and haven't played for very long but melee already feels super sluggish - the controls, movement and especially melee attacks in Fallout 4 feel incredibly sluggish so I just want to know before I spent too much time on this character: are melee runs more or less doomed to be played in VATS and should I just make a new character and focus on guns?
Also, how much fun is settlement building? I went with 1 int to maximize the idiot savant perk so I can't really build shit, it's hard to tell if I'm missing out or if I should just spam furniture everywhere for some easy xp.

Attached: fallout-4-melee-weapon[1].jpg (770x433, 31K)

>every franchise i liked as a kid is now trash

The Railroad was actually written by an ex-Black Isle and Obsidian dev, Eric Baudoin. He also wrote some of the better quests, Silver Shroud, Human Error and the USS Constitution. He should never be allowed to write anything but quests again, though.

>ex-Obsidian employee wrote some of the only quests in the game with real ambiguous choices and THE only quest in the game with SPECIAL checks

Unless you abuse drugs and Blitz, melee is shit. Enjoy having raiders with switchbladea blocking attacks from your super sledge while you're in power armor.

Melee weapons are ass. Fists are where it's at. Tons of satisfying kill animations, faster. My favorite playthrough was modding a bunch of legendary movement speed gear and going full Kenshiro.

>only quests i genuinely remember from fo4 are silver shroud and uss constitution
hmm.

>The Raiders fully embrace the childishness of the whole gimmick
>Groups of them shout “Nuka-Raiders!!” Like they’re straight from the power rangers or something
> Nuka Raiders saying things like “fuzz off”
>That nuka cola obsessed chick is treated like one of the three wisemen because of her extensive knowledge of Nuka cola which the raiders fully worship like it’s a real religion
Wow...I’ve never thought about it too hard but Nuka world had so much potential to be this amazing world of its own like the sirra Madre was instead it almost feels like fucking mockery when I played through it

It's pretty dumb. They could introduced a new enemy with different influence on the human race but they stuck with the OLD GOOD mentality instead

Wouldn't fist weapons have the same problem? The melee swing animation is fucking awfully slow and clunky outside of vats, it feels like you're playing a drunk person trying to swing an unbalanced object that shifts its weight mid-swing. Compared to NV it feels like just a light attack is a heavy attack where you get locked into an animation and it just feels fucking awful. Do fist weapons have faster and better swing speeds and animations, like how good fists were in Oblivion?
I don't want to spend the rest of the game in VATS so if abusing blitz is the only way to go I guess I'll reroll.

>Basically Fallout needs to be like India.
Good analogy. I'll have to remember that.

Avellone is anything but a moron, at least if the industry-standard of writing is anything to go by. I think he just suffers from trying to be clever all the time, when a great writer knows that discretion is the better part of valour.

You can with a mod but they either drop crow meat you can use for cooking or a synth part

Warhammer actually

Moving around in the Wasteland would be dangerous.
Even a mass Exodus would be easy pickings for raiders.

They should have saved the Nuka Cola factory for Fallout: Atlanta

I red my SS as being a bit mental.
She'll shocked vet and all that.

Warhammer orcs look like this. Face is completely different.

Attached: 1313341515205.jpg (651x627, 122K)

>Avellone is anything but a moron
You don't get to write a game where society is advancing beyond immediate survival, and then help write a a series of articles explaining to die hard fans just how advance society is, only to turn around and declare it all "too advance" without being some kind of idiot.

He helped create all that. He went out of his way to expand on parts of it. He was prepared to create more of it in Van Buren. Something pissed him off and it's reflected in his new opinions of Fallout.

Attached: 1558935447908.png (635x525, 75K)

>the one thing that makes Avellone think twice about the Legion is misogny.
>not mass murder and slavery
oof

Attached: 1491710509078.png (424x444, 217K)

It's a pretty painful choice in vegas given you get half as many perks leveling, wont level as high, and other perks are pretty strong. But you knew that already.

Play New Vegas instead.

Attached: FNV_box_art_(USA).jpg (1330x1650, 1.83M)

He wrote the original Legion in Van Buren where they were already raiders and slavers, so complaining about that would be hypocritical.

But to say he's a moron is to put him on the level of Emil Pagliafuckface. Just sounds to me like he's lost the hunger to prove himself, hence his arbitrary attitude. I'm not expecting Dying Light 2 to address the same themes very well, for the reason you've highlighted, but I don't think it's fair to call him a moron.

The legion represent the survival of the fittest mentality, and ugly and brutal ideal sure but far from an unreasonable one in a world like Fallout and if one of the writers thinks it’s wrong to have a faction exist because of its muh soggy knees then it’s no wonder FO4 is pants on head retarded
>the pain and hatred all past and present fallout writers must feel knowing they’re world has been reduced to jingling BOS, super mutant and blue jumpsuit themed keys in front of the audience

Good. The Fallout Bible is pretty shitty but ironically excuses nearly every lore decision Bethesda has ever made.

i will keep posting my boomer list and that's that

Attached: Fallout.png (860x1219, 1.61M)

This fucker right here worked at LGS when they made thief 2 , he was a level designer and made "life of the party" an exceptional level loved by everyone that played the game.Whoever gave him the role of lead writer was a moron , he should do nothing but design levels

Attached: 1560745982546.jpg (777x759, 271K)

ironically fallout 4 is one of the only games that has managed to fool my brain into thinking i was looking at a real person. something about piper's smile did it

He wrote the Dark Brotherhood for Oblivion, and although it was good, he wasn't deserving of the position of chief writer for it.

I've already played NV for years

Seems like a classic case of someone who works well with outside constraints but shits the bed when they get complete creative freedom and control

want to know something..

..... .

fallout 76 is a much better game

This 100%. Applying modern progressiveness onto Fallout is retarded.

Of the actual Fallouts, I'd say 1 has the weakest setting and story. Tactics is unironically better.

Mutants haven't been properly justified since 2, and even in 2 there, they only mostly had a reason not to be special encounters/in limited number.

ITT

Attached: Babies.jpg (1910x1000, 279K)

Thank god this fag didn’t get his way

>dude just promote the guy into 100s of millions of dollars of responsibility. What could go wrong?

Are you retarded? Super mutants have always been orc stand-ins. They were introduced in Fallout 1 as a compliment to the Brotherhood of Steel. The BoS being a successor to the Guardians of the Old Order in Wasteland, a faction shoe-horned into the game to fulfill the power-armored space marine trope.

>was it ever explained why the Institute was
Yes, literally everything that they were doing was explained by: They're fucking retarded.

In Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 they looked nowhere close to looking like Orcs.

>> 471535842
The FEV Experiments were used to research the radiation resistance of biological specimens, it was the main previous study before gen 3 synths. Dr. Clayton subsequently asks MC to take samples of super mutant primes (stable mutation) for his research. It's not explicit, but the game suggests that these experiments served to genetically improve plants, feed and secretly search for a cure to Shaun's disease, apparently Virgil doesn't knew that and considered the research pointless and unethical on late years, before fled.

Fallout 4 has been poorly written and I suspect it is not entirely the writer's fault, but don't expect Zoomers to understand the nuances of the story even of a game like this. The American audience hates reading.

Attached: Clayton_Holdren.png (1421x1015, 1.07M)

desu. wasteland 2 did the synth plot a lot better. Even though, in wasteland 2 they were just humans butchered and stuck with mechanical parts, only a few would be a fully mechanical being with their brain transported into the metal husk