Dungeon Crawlers and similar games thread

What's the most recent bullshit moment/fight you've come across?
Favourite class/character?
What are you playing?
What are you looking forward to?
What would you recommend others play?

Attached: furfur.jpg (650x366, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J_a1WtKPwEI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Real time dungeon crawlers are not fun
Change my mind

Attached: 1562998838309.png (752x720, 1023K)

Picked up StarCrawlers after the last thread of this type. It looks nice and there are fun gimmicks and story. I especislly like how skill points and equipment can spawn new options during events (disarm a trap, identify useful minerals, tell when someone is lying). But goodness, this combat system is useless. Every encounter plays the exact same way. It's a shame, because some of the class design is neat but the enemies dont do anything more complex than sometimes spawning allies. Otherwise it's just a slugfest. Did anyone have the same experience?

Spoken more eloquently than I could put it
I wanted to like starcrawlers but there didnt feel like the enemies really were enemies and instead were punching bags who spawn more punching bags

>What's the most recent bullshit moment/fight you've come across?

Blot in Etrian Odyssey Nexus. He's x5 times harder than the final boss for fucks sake.

Attached: 1562105901408.png (260x370, 70K)

I recently got back to playing Dungeon Travelers 2. I've cleared a pretty good chunk of the post-game now, but I'm still not quite ready to challenge any of the ridiculous super-bosses. I also need to level up some of my reserve members a bit in order to both get some more party build options, and to open some annoying class-specific doors.

I have at least been shredding through the "standard" post-game bosses, thanks largely to my joker's ridiculous offensive power.

I can't, the entire genre is utter shit.

>entire genre is shit
t. Zoomer

currently playing EO3, just reached floor 14. I'm starting to slightly regret picking cool robots instead of the actually useful shoguns for my first run.
the best way to deal with his low hp bullshit is to either buff up and burst him down or to panic him when he charges up. Also I believe he only does the big aoe every 3rd turn once critical.

Attached: 1549557633763.png (1300x1300, 746K)

She’s not even that hard. You just have to keep defending until she debut herself enough time and then it’s usual unga business,although I guess most will panic or scared of non-existent enrage timer.

Currently in post game on very last dungeon. With all the grinding spot and 666 pact it’s super easy,more than main game even.

Anyway,when I started this I thought it was just another crawler with generic animu pantsu girl #234 ,boy did things went south fast after 3 chapters. This has become one of the most memorable crawler along with might&magic xeen series. Anyone who likes tile-based crawler should give m&m legacy a try. Contrary to review scores I had a blast with it.

>trusting review scores on a game that takes over 8 hours to complete
user, no fool would do that
"Game journalists" play games for two hours at the very max before writing their reviews. After all they need to pump them out asap so they can be the first review site to have theirs up and get more clicks in comparison

I mean steam review scores. Last I saw m&m legacy overall score was “mixed”. I can see why though,since grimrock has set a modern standard of crawlers as real time combat with heavy puzzle while legacy is the exact opposite being turn-based with heavy focus on combat and exploration. Btw I dislike grimrock . Gave it 2 hours,uninstalled and never look back.

Steam reviews are different then. I havent tried m&m, ill give it a look over
I dont know how people liked grimrock
It felt more like a puzzle game than a dungeon crawler to me.
I dont play the genre to have to look for a single pixel in a room and click it to progress
I dont play the genre to spend my entire time putting items on pressure plates
It wasnt fun, maybe vaporum would be a better 1st person dungeon crawler but I only played it for like 30 minutes so I cant give a true opinion on it
I played grimlock for twice as long as you did and tried to get to see if it gets better but it didnt seem to.

>reviewers are pumping out reviews for games before they get a proper sense of them.
hey that’s food for thought, but on the other hand, should a game take more than 2 hours to get good?

When a game is 80 hours, playing the tutorial and thinking you have a good grasp of it is laughable

Yea, I was let down by the combat too. not a whole lot to really explore in the missions either

grimrock 2.............................

Grimrock is a puzzle game first and a dungeon crawler second
Its not fun

>What are you playing?
SMT1 on Android emulator.
It's nice.

dungeon crawlers are half puzzle games to begin with

And grimrock is mostly puzzle game
Your party never feels important, and instead just a method to carry around the little stick you need to put in a switch or a rock you need to put on a pressure plate.
Every ranged option feels absolutely shit, throwing anything does 0 damage, you need most rocks for puzzles so slings are pointless, magic is an absolute chore to use
Not to mention weird design decisions like needing a torch for the first half of the game until you get a light spell when torches do nothing interesting mechanically other than producing light, which becomes essentially punishing the player for taking too much time playing the game instead of promoting problem solving. Essentially a hunger mechanic.

Just found out that Experience is releasing yet another DRPG exclusively for the Vita. I wonder how they're not dead already. Maybe it didn't cost that much to make, considering they rehash a fucking lot of assets. Anyway, it's Japan only for now, and probably for ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=J_a1WtKPwEI

I can already recognize most of the sounds and music from Stranger of Sword City in the first 5 minutes of the video, lmao.

Attached: Aoki-Tsubasa-no-Shubarie-jaquette.jpg (393x500, 75K)

There’s a real problem if your game has 2 hour tutorial with nothing to hook players in between. Lots of other games manage to win me over without forcing me to endure your bullshit.

You cant write a review when playing the hook alone, even if it was good

Says who ? Labyrinth of refrain doesn’t really have puzzles unless you count moving 5-6 tiles to press switch to open doors as one. Puzzles are just retard elements introduced by games like grimrock to artificially increase play time and make the game seem more deep than it actually is.

They've been using the same assets since Generation Xth (or maybe even Wizardry Xth), their games have negative budgets. I think that game will pop up on Steam evdntually though.

Stranger of sword city was great if a bit too grindy and later bosses being absolute chore to fight. Having to spend first 10 turns debuffing before you can land a hit just suck out all the fun when you realize every late game boss fight play out the same.

Still I finish it. Now looking to play operation abyss but it seems pretty meh compared to stranger.

I would enjoy Experience RPGs more if the official translations weren't fansub-tier.

Funny, I really enjoyed operation abyss but couldnt really get into stranger of sword city
I felt like magic users were absolutely useless at the beginning, and "wait until they get good much later in the game" is pretty meh design

Sure I can “this game is great it’s only been 2 hours but I’m hooked already I can’t wait to see more” , “ this game sucks wtf it’s 2 hours already and I’m still learning how to fight a rat by pressing two buttons I’m sorry but this shit ain’t gonna fly”

Exposition and learning the ropes isnt going to be exactly the most interesting part of a game

Nor should it be the most boring part of the game.

Slowly crawling through PQ2. My party is hopelessly underleveled, except Joker, because I want to use them all and level up evenly.

>Fortify Coven for 20-40 turns because fuck the player being engaged in the encounter at all.
>Finally debuffs herself enough to take regular amounts of damage.
>Now you're at least able to go on the offensive and get them flashing red.
>She just whips out an AOE attack that kills more than half the party in response, even through fortify and other def bonuses.
>Then she just spams two party wiping AOE attacks constantly after that.
No.

Attached: 1545534881973.png (743x715, 475K)

I've played everything
Just waiting for Galleria and Mary Skelter 2 now

Attached: lain.jpg (922x691, 269K)

Grimrock 1 was far better than 2.

>tfw fucked up and didn't do apprentice notes so I couldn't get the last superboss
>didn't want to spend days grinding for items or starting over from the beginning
fuck guys I didn't know

>actually useful
>shoguns
Pick one.

MMX is a good game. It just has virtually no content when compared to MMVII

I was trying PQ2 and it unfortunately has the same problem as the first game where normal is way too easy and hard is fucking retarded. The first boss is also a bizarre difficulty spike.
>Every turn it tries to inflict someone with sleep, hits one row for severe damage, and hits an attack that can OHKO everyone but Ryuji on hard or everyone buy Ryuji and the MC on normal
>If you destroy the parts of the boss allowing the row attack or severe damage attack the boss then replaces it with a different attack that deals even more damage and he can use that twice in a single turn
How much does this game want me to grind? No EO boss was this retarded compared to the normal enemies around it.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Comic Girls - 10 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_14.33_[2018.06.13_16.30.22].jpg (589x698, 75K)

>ywn be crushed to death by mommys milkers

I've been playing pic related for 60 hours and I'm fighting Ouroboros now. Two questions:

- Is this close to the end of the game? Because there's still sub-quests I haven't been able to finish yet, along with the Womb of Grief.

- Should I keep recruiting and fusing demons, or just level up the ones I like? What about demon sources? I've only used one since I started because the game constantly tells me that I won't be able to get them again, but it feels like a waste to just keep them in the inventory.

>pic related
>no pic

Attached: cat water.png (720x728, 554K)

Shit, sorry Mr. Feline.

Attached: índice.jpg (235x215, 15K)

Just restart dude.

Use a formaldehyde on one of the bosses that drops the best in slot weapons and smash his face in with that

I really enjoyed Labyrinth of Refrain but I get bored of DRPGs with barely any story like EO.
Recommend me DRPGs similar to Labyrinth of Refrain

Playing Rance 6 at the moment. Could do more with actual dungeons and a lot less pointless side missions. Honestly having fun with it though. Every girl is worth raping. Don't even @ me resetera because I don't care.

>I dont play the genre to have to look for a single pixel in a room and click it to progress
You must be thinking of adventure games, dungeon crawles always have big visible buttons.
>I dont play the genre to spend my entire time putting items on pressure plates
Buttons, pressures plates and pits were commonplacce in Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder, which the Grimrock games are based on.

There aren't any, just wait for Galleria

I wanted to like Labyrinth because how great smug, haughty girls are but the dungeon crawling was offensively bad.

Attached: 7.jpg (1200x675, 288K)

I didn't hear about the sequel yet, thanks.

That one teleporting puzzle was nice and the post game dungeon was really good in my opinion
Really enjoyed the wall breaking mechanic as well

Sengoku and Rance quest never ever. Seriously what the fuck is MG doing? Did they forget to release them or something?

>no switch version
Why

It'll probably come to switch and pc when it comes to other regions, like refrain did
Just be patient

Not sure what you mean. In gameplay? Story? Just with a story focus on top of the dungeons?
If you want a similar world, go play The Witch and The Hundred Knight. Everything except the gameplay (which is just okay) is amazing. The sequel far less so, but it was alright I guess. I don't hate it?

Demon Gaze 1 and 2, maybe? Though admittedly the story is so generic, it somehow a goes so far that it's a very fun ride. The game itself is very fun though, and it features a lot content and an enjoyable cast. 2 has less party customisation, but improved gameplay.
Also, I personally adore the music.

Mary Skelter? Just a great game with it's fair share of issues. Looks like a generic harem story, but it is not and the characters are legitimately well done. Biggest flaws are the final boss being irredeemable trash and the villain being so incredibly obvious it's actually insulting how they try to hide his reveal, though the latter is subverted a little by a myriad of other neat reveals that come with the events.
May want to wait till Mary Skelter 2 though, as it comes with packaged with a revamped 1.
Dungeon a cute.

>torches do nothing interesting mechanically other than producing light
You can use them as weapons too.

>Not sure what you mean. In gameplay? Story? Just with a story focus on top of the dungeons?
DRPGs with a decent story
>go play The Witch and The Hundred Knight
I gave up on that after it kept crashing

Why do you need MG to release them in order to play the game?
I played them long ago and I'm pretty sure they got a translation if you don't understand that much Japanese.

Grimrock has many points where a button would be on a random wall in a hallway that you would miss if youre not walking sideways

I have no issues with pressure plates in and of itself, but when every puzzle boils down to
Throwing things at Teleporters to get the object to land on pressure plate
And pressing buttons to reveal areas
Its not very complex or mind bending and feels more like a time waster

And using a torch as a weapon is pretty shit
They do no damage, and you end up giving them to the back row so your front row can actually hit the enemies

Guys?

That's like asking why would you want an official translation/localization over a Russian bootleg. Sure, you can play it. But are you going to get the definitive experience? No. I played the Fan Sengoku. It was playable, but it was also a buggy mess. I don't believe quest ever received a fan translation as far as I am aware.

what did he mean by this?

Attached: 1537638548001.jpg (1802x955, 469K)

That's like the halfway point of the game.
You should always be fusing demons over simply leveling up the recruited ones. But in SJ in particular I can't stress how important it is to use every demon you have until you get their source.
Because through mitama fusion you can inject ANY skill to ANY demon, even those they don't normally inherit. So building an absolutely broken demon becomes trivial, since you don't need to plan long ass multi stage fusion chains.

poison

I wouldn't know if the translations are bad, I played the real version, but I never heard that there was issues.
But shitty translations from real editors, I do hear about it often.

He's talking about his testicles, user.

>DRPGs with a decent story
Demon Gaze is the very definition of decent. It's just interesting enough.
Mary Skelter is good, with a few glaring flaws.
Dungeon Travelers 2 is good.
Persona Q1/Q2 are both great games, might be too much filler for you though. I don't know.
Strange Journey is great, though you may find it a little too EO-like in the way the story is presented.
Moero Chronicle is great so far. A little too Moe for me, but the characters are legitimately fun personalities. I despise all the regular enemy designs though.

>I gave up on that after it kept crashing
The Revival Edition is basically free of those bugs and is very much worth it.

>fascinating male tail

This .
>not killing bosses in three turns at this point in the game

Attached: 1512955971230.jpg (411x336, 64K)

>got Demon Gaze 2 because I actually loved the first one
>inferior art style and gameplay design
Not even Mary Skelter or that witch /u/ game was enough to scratch that itch.

Attached: 1563826824377.jpg (792x792, 135K)

>now you have actual characters instead of generic units!
>btw they are basically the same shit as the classes from the previous games so in practice we're just limiting your options

Attached: 020_021.jpg (783x887, 238K)

The party is far less customisable, but I wouldn't say the gameplay is worse. I grew to like the new system myself.
What is your problem with it outside of limiting player choice?

Also,
Fran > New chicks.
THE DARK SOL > The Ergo.
Cross GAZER > Everything.

>The Revival Edition is basically free of those bugs and is very much worth it.
I barely want anything on the ps4. And i wouldn't want to pay for a broken game twice out of principle.

Strange journey was too much bullshit so I dropped it at the boss of sector E and don’t want to go back

I don't care that this post is 6 hours long. How would anyone have Yggdroids or Shogun available in their first run? Unless you used a save from somewhere else, and if that's the case it's fine.

you unlock one of them after the 3rd stratum, and when I did I took my gladiator out and replaced it with a droid.

What are some cool DRPGs I can easily emulate?

Are there any good dungeon crawlers on android?