youtube.com/watch?v=raqLH-raNvw
youtube.com/watch?v=oGlhgVz5r6E
youtube.com/watch?v=TAIJich73NY
youtube.com/watch?v=IIwjZDUbNJc
steamcommunity.com/games/362890/announcements/detail/1613893608676653038
youtube.com/watch?v=54bpxhCEwDQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes.

Yes but go to speedrun.com/hl1/resources and download the Goldsource batch, many features are broken in the current steam version.

Skip it and go straight to hl2. The movement is floaty, ladders are death traps, and you bounce off everything.

Shooting also feels like shit and half the game involves fighting the most generic marines who take way too many shots to kill unless you use 1 specific gun.

It's one of my favorite games, and I absolutely hate hl2.

Still better than most games out now.

Just watch the game and determine it for yourself OP

It's only 20 minutes youtube.com/watch?v=VtI5HM7GVGY

I tried playing it again recently and I couldn't get into it. The default models are extremely blocky, as are the environments. The game itself is EXTREMELY linear, there's menial exploration for switches et cetera, but the entire game is ON A RAIL by nature. You could enjoy it, even be impressed if you put yourself in 1998 mode, but don't go in blindly expecting a gotyay experience.

>he fell for the sandbox meme

>shitting on the goldsrc engine
gtfo

Now? No.
A decade ago? Absolutely.

If youre playing for nostalgia then sure. Its pretty awesome on a huge monitor 144hz.

>The default models are extremely blocky, as are the environments.

You can find high res texture packs as well as model packs that add in the PS2 models

Not really, it just feels like the game is a series of back-to-back cartoon episodes strung together. Once one is over, you never go back to it for exposition. It feels scripted and robotic.

It's worth playing.
youtube.com/watch?v=RVu3qlU22qc
Been thinking about it, a lot, lately. A real masterpiece of vidya.

It is really good. HL2 is shit though.

the whole series is cinematic corridor shooter trash. play unreal and build engine games

I liked it. I dont love it and some enemies are a pain to fight, but I still liked it. Dont bother with the Source port though, its pretty underwhelming.

headcrabs
headcrab zombie
barnacle
hound eye
vortigaunt
alien grunt
assassin
army man
gonarch
bullsquid
and that's not even factoring in race X

as apposed to
combine with pistol
combine with shotgun
combine with rifle
antlion
big antlion
head crab
head crab with HIV
zombie
fast zombie
poison zombie
barnacles

wow such a great variety of enemy's to face

not all nonlinear games are sandboxes

ie Doom I&II, or the different paths in Deus EX

Forgetting the;
Striders
gunships
Spinny knife blade mini helicopter thing

HL2 is at least worth a spin for the canal chapter. HL1 has nothing of the sort.

That's disingenuous. There aren't a lot of pieces of fiction that you play as the harbinger of the end of the world, let alone cleaning it all up with meaty gunplay and a wondrous atmosphere.
youtube.com/watch?v=raqLH-raNvw

If you had the balls to play it or really wanted to know, you'd have stumbled upon the hundreds of articles and sites stating it's importance in videogame history and how it aged better than it's sequel.

But you have no intention of doing so for you are an ADD riddled zoomer that just wants to orbit classic games like old CRPGs, HL1, Deus Ex and etc without actually playing them so that you get Yea Forums tokens. Shame that it is, for they are great games that once you get accustomed to offer things that even modern games can't provide and still surprise through techinal and plot mechanics.

Remain a faggot forever.

It's great! It's an older game so it hinges on you figuring your way out with bad directions in a couple of spots, but you'll make it

Bunny hopping was a mistake

I genuinely consider Water Hazard to be an outstanding achievement in videogaming history, and I jyst as genuinely consider HL1 to be a shallow hodgepodge of action tropes taking place among color-liggter cement and wooden boxes. Blast Pit is alright, I guess. Has some exploration, scale, minimum scripting, starves you on ammo and leaves you to your own devices a bit. Pretty cool. Xen is too much of anti-Mesa instead of being something coherent.

Well, let's just say, among HL1's Blast Pit and Water Hazard is HL2 I know full well where my preferences lie.

>color-lighted
>between HL1's Blast Pit and HL2's Water Hazard

>that fucking leap out of the room when the cascade starts

if you unironically use terms like boomer and havent even played half life then you shouldnt even be playing vidya OP

>and I jyst as genuinely consider HL1 to be a shallow hodgepodge of action tropes
But you'd be objectively wrong on that front. Until HL1, there was no piece of fiction ever that put you in the shoes of the man who brings the world to ruin. There was no piece of fiction that let you take on the shady government that wants to cover everything up. There still isn't an entity in video games as enigmatic as the G-Man. Gaunter O'Dimm from TW3, and the devil from RDR come close, but have nothing on the idiosyncrasies of Mike Shapiro's performance as the G-Man, or Marc Laidlaw's stellar writing.
tl;dr Half-Life is great and you're being a fag.

Attached: 1377733120092.gif (250x188, 502K)

Laidlaw's main game was Prospero and he was brought onto HL1 only after Prospero folded something like maybe a year or year in a half before HL1's release when all the major plot points were already decided upon.

Also what you say is fairly Philip Dick-ish. I haven't read Valis trilogy, but Albemuth - as well as its recent surprisingly accurate movie version, is more or less a match. You could also check out first two "Ring" books, the second one, "Spiral", in particular, is a must read.

Also, fucking Metroid 2.

Also, motherfucking DreamWeb.

Also, Loom.

Also, Riven.

Also, in HL1 you are not all that much of a Harbiner of Doom, not systematically so. In the beginning of the game, it's basically "oops" on your part (you were set up by the Powers That Be, effectively developers), tgen you engage in menial tasks and defend yourself. It's rather a classical case of dindunuffin.

Also, Blood Omen 1.

>go straight to hl2. The movement is floaty, ladders are death traps, and you bounce off everything.

none of those are good things lol
stick to HL1, gldsrc actually has good movement

It's good but it's aged a lot worse than HL2.

Play Black Mesa if you want a more modern version. It's not a 1:1 remake, but it's pretty damn close. Though you may want to wait until the final Xen chapter is released, which won't be much longer hopefully.

youtube.com/watch?v=oGlhgVz5r6E

youtube.com/watch?v=TAIJich73NY

>leaving out the Episode enemies
Hunters were the most fun fight in any HL game, even if Ep 2 wasn't amazing.

also the actual helicopters, and in Ep1/Ep2 stalkers, zombines, and hunters

>HL1
headcrabs
zombies
barnacles
bullsquids
houndeyes
vortigaunts
alien grunts
assassins
HECU soldiers (shotgun, smg, pistol)
turrets
gonarch
tentacles
ichtyosaurs

>HL2
headcrabs
fast headcrabs
poison headcrabs
zombies
fast zombies
poison zombies
zombines
combine civil protection (pistols, smgs)
combine overwatch (smgs, assault rifles, shotguns)
combine elite (assault rifles with secondary fire)
combine snipers
combine turrets
striders
gunships
hunters
scanners that drop mines
manhacks
stalkers
rollermines
antlions
antlion workers
antlion guardians
antlion ancient (or whatever the fuck is that green things name)
barnacles

really makes you think

>lack (of sound design) soullessesa

stop asking the internet to tell you what to think about things. go get the original goldsrc version (hl source is broken as hell) and just play the game and form you own opinion, that is if you can go 10 minutes without running to the internet to post memes on vietnamese soup making boards.

reminder to keep an eye on Project Borealis

youtube.com/watch?v=IIwjZDUbNJc

You're incredibly naive or stupid if you think this is going to be finished ever.
Don't you remember fucking Black Mesa?

>Laidlaw's main game was Prospero and he was brought onto HL1 only after Prospero folded something like maybe a year or year in a half before HL1's release when all the major plot points were already decided upon.
Intradasting, but I'm not sure of its relevance.
>Examples
I don't recall Metroid II Samus being the reason things are going to shit.
>it's basically "oops" on your part (you were set up by the Powers That Be, effectively developers), tgen you engage in menial tasks and defend yourself. It's rather a classical case of dindunuffin.
Of course Gordon's not the baddie. But he's no janitor. He's a theoretical physicist. He had part in the experiment outside of manual labor.
>It's good but it's aged a lot worse than HL2.
Fucking how?

Black Mesa is almost finished.

steamcommunity.com/games/362890/announcements/detail/1613893608676653038

>Don't you remember fucking Black Mesa?
The thing that came out? PB isn't limited by the brush based bullshit of Source, at that.

>Fucking how?
The gameplay hasn't really aged but GoldSrc is just a much more dated engine.
Some people will be put off by the potato graphics and lack of physics if they aren't used to playing games from that era.

Yeah, after 15 fucking years in development it's "almost finished" (which probably means another half year delay just like the last 6 times)

That's true. But it's also true that UE4 isn't limited in the way Source is.

How is Source limited development-wise?

The bulk of the game was released as a free mod 7 years ago.

Also like the other user said, Project Borealis is using Unreal 4 instead of Source, which should help a lot. It will probably still be 2 or 3 years at least, but that's expected, and unless Valve steps in it's going to be free so you can't really complain.

Attached: HAMMER.jpg (429x396, 35K)

Brushes are a fucking blight on video game engines.

Ancient dev tools and long compile times make the entire process slow.

Attached: Hammer_splash.png (489x182, 69K)

here's the full update video

youtube.com/watch?v=54bpxhCEwDQ

This

It remains a classic that any 'hardcore gamer' should experience eventually, but honestly at this point just play Black Mesa, the remake, if you have any doubts.

It's easily the best one, HL2 is kind of boring. But I would suggest to wait for Black Mesa full release too. It's pretty good too.

what an idiotic post

there is a reason the TF2 team has trouble with updates, source is literally spaghetti code

Yes it's an excellent game. The opening sequence drags on too long but once the game gets going it's pure ludo all of the time.

Why won't they port all their games to source 2 like they did with dota 2 then?
What's even going on with source 2? I remember like 6 years ago they announced source 2 and said it will be free for all developers as long as they publish their game through steam or something, and I have literally never seen a source 2 game save dota 2 and robot repair

Is Black Mesa the best way to play? What are the pros and cons?

Attached: 1539404260248.jpg (690x588, 117K)

It's true though. You're an idiotic post.

Haven't seen that in a while

Attached: 1552245846995.jpg (635x634, 80K)

Black Mesa is great but I still recommend playing the original first.

It's really violent and the sound is great.

hl1 is superior to hl2

2 aged like shit, 1 holds up way better

DUUUUUHHHHHHHHH DURRRRRRRRR I KANT PULAY GAEM IF IT NOT SAND BOX!!!!!!!!! DOOOOOOYYYYYYYY

Play HL1 then OpFor the HL2 and the Eps
After that play Black Mesa and Install MMod for HL2 as you wait for Operation Black Mesa.