What’s the best way to go about this series? I was gifted the third one...

What’s the best way to go about this series? I was gifted the third one, but is enjoying it dependent on the other games? Are the books recommended prior as well?

Attached: F9FD8AF8-2BDF-4543-88F1-0D71AF6A5F12.jpg (323x433, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ep65rr-9qjQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you start with the first one just like with any other series. how is that even a question

I'd say the Witcher 1 didn't age well but it wasn't even good when it came out.

The first one is kind of a slog, but its good if you're cool with tedious gameplay elements in exchange for a good story.

it's better than 2

having started the first one not terribly long ago myself, i would recommend watching some sort of filler video about the books even if they're not canon because sweet fuck shit's a bit all over the place
as to which video, i ain't got a fucking clue

Realize that there's many more high investment "RPG" games on the market with higher quality stories and payoff.

Do not play 1, nor 2. They aren't "bad" per se, but they aren't worth your time nor add very much to 3.

Just play 3 alone and you're golden, really. The books aren't requires and it doesn't leave you completely clueless about what's happening.

I'd say it's not necessary to read the books at all.
The Witcher books are kind of like Robert E Howard's Conan The Barbarian stories, only set in medieval europe instead of 10,000 BC.

>Witcher travels to a new village
>Gets retardedly drunk in a bar and fights some people
>Hears local rumors
>There's a wizard or a monster fucking things up for everybody
>Witcher agrees to save the town but for an extortionary price
>Witcher goes to kill the wizard or monster in a dungeon or castle.
>There are naked women chained up all over the place.
>Kill the monster
>Have sex with the naked chained up women
>Leave and go to the next town

I love a good story, so, in preparation for Witcher 3, I went and played 1 and 2. Neither game aged well, the combat takes some getting used to. However the story, writing, and characters are all really interesting and engaging.

Having spent like 60 hours total getting to witcher 3, it made the game so much more meaningful. If you have the patience for it I absolutely recommend it - but it's definitely not for everyone.

Reading or watching a summary on the first 2 games is enough to grasp 3 and go with the flow. After you beat the game you can binge some wiki pages if you're missing depth and then the DLC is really good as well.

a very, very polished turd, I'll give the Witcher 3 that much.

Reminds me of this youtube.com/watch?v=ep65rr-9qjQ

When I was young, I used to love RPGs for the sense of progression you get when you go from killing small monsters to killing huge monsters

Now any time I look at games like this, all I can see is the skinner box, and there's no sense of satisfaction in progressing.

Yeah Korgoth was basically a parody of Conan stories with a little bit of D+D added.

The books are recommended if you want to play the "blood and wine" dlc because a character appears there that was never in the series and Geralt knows him really well so they skip the character "bonding" between those two.

Besides the books are great so you should read them if you are interested in the lore.

The books provide some nice backstory to characters and explain the setting and general plot of what happens before the first game pretty nicely

The Witcher 1 is honestly very hard to get into but the storytelling elements are pretty nice, there are some easter eggs in 3 from 1 if that's something that interests you

The Witcher 2 is more similar to 3 but the combat system is still hot ass, the story is pretty cool and there's diverging paths pretty early on so there's replayability

You could always start with the Witcher 3 and you won't really lose any important or crucial information but if you want the whole package I'd go 1 -> 2 -> 3-> Books

>I'd say the Witcher 1 didn't age well
kinda this, it still has a great atmosphere but animations and controls are below average these days
>it wasn't even good when it came out
somehow TW1 is still better than TW2 to this day

>>Witcher travels to a new village
>>Gets retardedly drunk in a bar and fights some people
>>Hears local rumors
>>There's a wizard or a monster fucking things up for everybody
>>Witcher agrees to save the town but for an extortionary price
>>Witcher goes to kill the wizard or monster in a dungeon or castle.
>>There are naked women chained up all over the place.
>>Kill the monster
>>Have sex with the naked chained up women
>>Leave and go to the next town

That's not it.

>Witcher goes to new town
>Has a drink and broods in the tavern
>Some locals try cause trouble
>Be beats them without breaking a sweat
>Hears a rumour about something weird going on
>Investigates, some kind of mystery pops up
>Rich people involved hire Witcher to kill a monster
>Witcher kills monster or uncovers secret about it
>Goes back to claim money
>Mystery is resolved
>Punchline is delivered

I remember when the Witcher 2 was considered one of the best RPGs ever and you'd constantly see screenshots of it showcasing how far video game graphics have come, much like crysis.

Now it's almost universally uncared about, what happened?

Do people not actually like these games and it's only safe to say it after a new one comes out?
You see the same thing happen with the Zelda series.

Tried getting into the books, and they feel like they were written by a 13 year old. That's the one lame thing about translations. So what do I do.

One of my problems with this series is how separate every thing feels from the next. Even going from The Last Wish to Sword of Truth is not consistent feeling. Witcher 2 has a very enclosed story separate from Witcher 3. Ciri is not part of the games until 3. The Wild Hunt is introduced in Witcher 1 though, so maybe it is worth getting into. If it is too old, Witcher 2 will introduce you to the game world and desu has better combat than 3.

Keep in mind they pretty much did the same thing as mass effect 2 and people were comparing it to Skyrim at the time.
>"What that baby game? There's titties is MY game."

Remember when CDPR said witcher 2 was supposed to be like dark souls?

Attached: 1586754367.jpg (600x525, 59K)

This.

OP, Witcher 1 has combat issues so you need to take note of that before diving in but the story is really good. It starts of slow but picks up at act 3-4.

Witcher 2 is Witcher 3 but with a bit shittier graphics and combat mechanics but miles better from Witcher 1. The story is top notch and it will make you wanna play more and more.

Witcher 3 is the ultimate game. Good combat (for some reason still not as good as I would like it to be), amazing story and atmosphere and godlike graphics. It will also feel 2x better since you played the previous two games.

TLDR: If you hate W1 play at least W2 before W3 but you can still go blind in W3 and you will enjoy it.

play 3, fall in love

then play the rest

its great game dudeq

i don't want to read thread because of spoilers but the return to crookback bog quest was great

>but is enjoying it dependent on the other games?
If you're an absolute pleb faggot, you'll enjoy it regardless, but otherwise you have to be already invested to tolerate this piece of shit for the amount of time it asks of you.

yeah what a ridiculous statement
W2 is way better than dark souls

The books can be safely skipped until you finish all the games.
Play them in order from 1, 2 to 3.
Import your saves forward.
Side with order only in game 1 for a good save going into 2.

I'm pretty sure dark souls ran at thirty fps, that's three times as much as witcher 2

They are all garbage. The books, the games, the unreleased TV show: garbage. This series being popular may be the primary cause of brexit since nobody wants copies of the books flooding their country.