Minetest

Anyone else play Minetest? I installed a bunch of mods and actually enjoy the game quite a bit.
Honestly, the 31k block depth alone makes the game better than minecraft imo.

Attached: 1024px-Minetest-logo.svg.png (1024x1024, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

minetest.net/customize/
youtu.be/IajaRMMTnko
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I wanted to make a full industrial/automation mod suite for this but I couldn't figure out the SDK

Why doesn't msoft port block limit to minecraft?

Why the fuck do you need block depth?

For cool looking/more exciting caves and longer mining sessions. I like huge worlds, and this allows for huge caves without needing to dimension hop. This also allows for more variety. I've seen mods where the style of cave changes based on your depth, so the underground from 500-2500 blocks is different than the underground at 2500-5000 blocks and etc. Mining is indeed in the name of both Minecraft and Minetest.

What's the sky limit?

Why would you not want it? The fact that minecraft's map is so thin really puts a limit on things.

>31k block depth
I thought it was infinite

Minetest is a good game but it lacks in some areas.

same thing, 31,000 blocks up. I use a floating island mod to fill the space
might as well be with that many blocks

Though it's more barebones than minecraft, it has some of the soul that minecraft lost

Attached: 1U2Tjcs.jpg (1920x1080, 427K)

Just looked this up. What exactly is Minetest? Is it just a Minecraft mod aggregator?

It's a free open source minecraft-style engine
It's been around for ages as an actually optimized c++ alternative to MC but nobody's ever really done anything with it as far as I'm aware

Wait, so it's just straight up Minecraft except with some more features depending on what mods you install for it?

Never heard of this before, but I'm going to give it a shot tonight. Are there any good mods I should install for a first time playthrough or should I go vanilla?

Does it play close enough to Minecraft? Meaning, same/similar enemies, same/similar atmosphere/sounds/music, etc? Tempted to play it but if it's empty and just an infinite ore-collecting thing then I'd pass

it is closer to the earlier beta versions of minecraft than the current minecraft versions. the mobs and combat suck ass. the focus is more on mining and building.

essentially a community-focused mc clone built in c++ and better optimized. it has a built in game, but its quite barebones. the point is for the community to make the game(s) while the devs work on the engine, and possible adding more to the "main" game. any features that you may want are probably already mods that you can download
essentially. really the only issue with the game is the graphics and polish.

It's got a lot less as far as features and polish. It's more an engine than anything, but it comes with a simple minecraft cloned "game" to demonstrate the engine.

Here's a list of recommended mods and games by the creators themselves: minetest.net/customize/
Just look through them and see if they're anything you want.
I would suggest the Voxelgarden or Mineclone2 games to start with.
As for mods, i suggest mesecons for redstone, immersive sounds, mobs redo, sprint, and moreores. Really its up to you though.

>31k block depth
How does the game run? Cubic chunks?

>not reccing the trains mod

Attached: title.png (1280x800, 918K)

>31k block depth
if they make it highly developed underground I would buy it for $100

caverealms lite sorta does that

Attached: CRL_01.png (800x600, 114K)

also the mod "underch" adds 62 underground biomes

Attached: VF7jFMY.png (1299x741, 886K)

>Minetest
Just hearing about this, what's the combat like? Are creepers in the game?

>minecraft alpha but you can build higher
seems like a fast way to get a virus.

Attached: costanza.jpg (250x250, 10K)

the combat is pretty average, i guess. Its the simple point and click style (until someone makes a mod to make the combat better), the game is more focused on exploration and building. there is a creeper mod.

>open source software
>virus
idiot

>linux version
>c++
>31k depth
I'm sold, downloading it tomorrow.
I fucking hope you can change control scheme though.

open source has more viruses because anyone can edit the code- its like wikipedia but for code

Attached: bait tahu.jpg (580x498, 33K)

If literally nobody is maintaining the project maybe

just no

The thing is literally open source, it would be very strange if you couldn't change the control scheme

Well hell, maybe people didn't bother.

>yet ANOTHER minecraft clone that'll be forgotten

server when?

Holy shit is this still alive?
I remember playing this years ago, I think it was still in super early alpha, is development still ongoing?

>Minetest

Never heard of this. I just looked it up and seems to be open source? Do they update base game often?

You are aware that "vandalism" on wikipedia gets pretty much instantly reverted, right?

yep, typical Yea Forums talking shit about stuff they don't know

Attached: [PuyaSubs!] Hinako Note - 01 [720p][50809DAA] (00:05:58.192) 0001.png (1280x720, 940K)

somewhat often, once a month or so, but it is all support, the base game is really just for mods to add content. but hey, no features you don't want like hunger

Game is comfy but ruined because moving your character around feels terrible

yeah developments is still happening but it is still in alpha. the mods add a lot of features though

TWAAAAIN
TWAAAAAAAAAIN
TWAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIN

A mod adds the nether and allows you to dig down far enough to get to it

>minetest
never heard about until now, looks really cool.
What mods should I get for first playing, or should I just raw dog it for a bit to get a hang of it all?

Attached: 1519619459717.gif (320x180, 1.18M)

4testcraft when? i wonder what would happen

i wonder if they'll get anything like mcedit or if you might be able to import/export structures, that would be interesting to me

Not interested in it until it has either an equal to Thaumcraft or an equal to the Touhou mod.

The base gane is very barebones, so inwoul definitely suggest mods. It might be good to get a hang of how the game plays, though.
A list of reccomended games and mods is here: minetest.net/customize/

Why do people want to live in cave systems? Terraria I get because the surface is fucking pointless but why Minecraft? At most just double the depth of MC would be best, why 31 fucking K?

>why 31 fucking K?
They just made the world a cube. It's roughly 64x64x64 km

Why not? Its always nice to have options

(You) me when someone hosts a server

I just wish the movement didn't feel like shit.
For example try walking diagonally relative to the grid while jumping and notice how it shifts your character to the side slightly.

Tell me more about this Touhou mod

There's a couple— DanmakuCore (which is newer, but has less features since it's just a core mod made to be added upon) and the Japanese one, which is okder and abandoned but really neat.
youtu.be/IajaRMMTnko
The only video showing off the items is a furfag, though

I don't get it.What's the appeal of this mod?

Lots of fun bullets and items. The appeal is the idea that it could be expanded upon to allow for things like crafting your own bullet patterns and special items to use in combat with other players or bosses.

It opens up the possibility for extreme cave biomes. It will never be fully utlized in practice. Enjoy your standard caves but slightly more open and with different flavor decoration randomly spread around. We will NEVER EVER get dwarf fortress-tier uninvited guests and clowns roaming around, or massive caverns that spread throughout the world.

How easy is this game to modify in terms of terrain generation? I'd like to make hydraulic erosion-based terrain engine that runs when you first load up a world, which of course includes cave generation too. All on top of a stratified world, i.e. multiple rock layers at varying angles that resist erosion to varying degrees.
To make this interesting gameplay-wise, I'd have it such that the deeper you go the stronger a pickaxe you need, and the hotter things get, and you'd find lava tubes and such to make things interesting. Maybe lizard people.
I'd get a minecraft programmer art texture pack of course.

holy shit

I know cubic chunks, but how does it go down so far? Is there a render distance that prevents you from looking 31k blocks all the way down? How does that work exactly?

Is the upwards bounds extended up into the sky, or just downwards? I am guessing the latter since a render distance looks better in a cave than above ground.

Literally do the same thing to the third dimension as the first two.

this game is garbage what the fuck. what is wrong with you people

Hello person who is definitely not a Minetest dev.
I sure am excited to see another souless Minecraft Alpha clone that looks like complete shit, has no future and only one distinguishing gimmick.

more like lowtest

ARE YOU NOT INTO TRAINS!?

>implying 2019 Minecraft has a soul anyhow
The only reason non-retards still play the game is for the modding environment and/or nostalgia. The former of which is more optimised than Minecraft itself, and the latter of which can be quite easily replicated with textures and mods that imitate Minecraft itself. Putting Minecraft up on some unreachable pedestal is something done only by those with no affinity for critical thought.

>tfw you will never be able to get away with it

I played Minetest on PC as it comes with Debian, and it's also available on mobile on F-Droid. I was already playing a rock solid Minecraft clone called Survivalcraft, so I wasn't as hot on Minetest's barebones base. Still, it's a good thing that there is an Open Source variant of this type of game, and I am glad to see this thread.

pretty much all proprietary (web) software depends on open source so you'd have the same problem