PSA: If your Joycons are drifting, just get Nintendo to repair them

PSA: If your Joycons are drifting, just get Nintendo to repair them.

en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46903

Attached: nintendo_switch_joy_con_06.1490199675.jpg (1200x800, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NdeIPfHlQuM
reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/b9gdak/i_disassembled_a_joycon_stick_to_shed_some_light/
youtu.be/lF4HQyic-qM
twinfinite.net/2019/04/ps4-controller-analog-stick-drift-how-fix/
reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/6nxk1x/is_controller_drift_fixable_right_analog_stick/
reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/7xwywt/ps4_controller_drifts_off_on_its_own/
ifixit.com/Answers/View/176783/My left analog stick moves down alone what should I do
boards.fireden.net/_/search/filename/1446488138738/
youtu.be/rUTuOOZlX9w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It actually works, they add a piece of conductive foam that alleviates the issue.

soap?

Mine also don't charge properly anymore and one button just straight out doesn't work anymore, even though I never dropped them or pushed the buttons too rough. Joy Cons are just trash, I've never had these problems with any other controller.

They charge you more for the repair than buying a new one would cost

Is it only the left Joycons for you too?

Damn how much? I'm assuming you pay for shipping too right?

About $30 per joycon

What the hell is joycon drifting?

Not the same guy, but my left joycon is also fucked.

Didn't charge me anything and i live in R*ssia, but i had problems with joy cons being different colour, they just sent me different pair (i guess older joy cons were darker colour cause of different material compared to my newer joy cons, my friend bought a switch which is probably a new revision and black casing on switch itself was also of different material and was a bit gray, what the fuck)
The biggest reason to hate the switch is the quality of the console itself. I also already scratched my screen cause of inserting it into dock all the time, should have bought protectvie screen before.

This doesn't seem very viable as an option if that is legitimately the price.

newest hot snoy meme

Stick loses it's sense of center and automatically drifts towards a direction. Happens in other analog sticks too but the Switch's joycons has it happen super early.

Both are drifting and both have charging issues but the left ones ZR button just doesn't work anymore. So yeah the left one is absolutely fucked meanwhile the right one is "just" moderately fucked.

What if my Dualshock 4 has left analog stick drift. Will Nintendo repair that too?

>have switch for two years
>no problems
>start seeing stories about drifting
>mine start drifting
Is Nintendo pulling an Apple and sabotaging their current equipment to get us to buy the new Switch?

Have you ever opened it up?

Exactly the problem, not surprised a lawsuit is being filed

Just buy some electrical contact cleaner lmao

Same thing as joypad/stick drifting, causes issues with the controller registering input properly which can lead to your character moving in a certain direction on their own even if you don't do anything. This problem is somewhat infamous in 360 controllers

>muh console wars
Kill yourself you autistic bootlicking corporate drone, the JoyCons being trash has been a problem since release.
Nope, I don't think I have the tools to anyway. I might though, guess I have nothing to lose anyway because as they are now my JoyCons are unusable.

Fuck off falseflag

I'm glad I bought my switch off the black market than give my money to those scammers at jewtendo.

>nothing for months
>one article 5 days ago
>since then nonstop drifting issues
Sure.

I don't know what it looks like in there with that "hd rumble" shit. I wonder if that device is somehow the cause of the problems. Is hd rumble just another name for that "haptic feedback" shit they put in modern phones now?

I have 2 pair of joy cons and didn't have drift yet, tho as i said my joy cons were of differeent colours.

A non-issue that resetera is trying to meme into reality with a class action lawsuit that won’t go anywhere.

Some people have legitimately beat up analog sticks that are drifting. Happens on all platforms with all analog sticks. The issue is somehow magnified on the Switch joycons because the joycons have other issues. One is the Bluetooth problem which was mitigated by the conductive foam placed inside the left joycon during a recall after launch. It did not affect the right joycon and they changed something related it Bluetooth sync in software as well as fixed it in future joycons. It can still happen if there is Bluetooth interference or a weak signal. The other issue is Nintendo centers their analogs according to the position they are in when powered on instead of recalibrating at rest (you can manually recalibrate in settings).

Anyways, idiots who treat their controllers like shit and having an actual drift problem have scared others who experience the centering and Bluetooth problem into thinking their controllers are bad sometimes right out of the box.

Joycon stick drift has been an issue for ages, just because an article went viral does not at all mean this issue popped up overnight, people are simply discussing it more recently as a result of it being highlighted by the media again.

There's hundreds of threads on R*ddit from years ago each of which have hundreds of upboats complaining about the drifting issue. Again, kill yourselr you willfully blind bootlicker.
HD rumble is an excuse to sell these garbage controllers for $40 each.
>Works on my machine

Why do you browse reddit if you hate it so much? This place is much more cancerous.

There's proof of joycon drifting everywhere, it's a prominent and highly reported problem that many switch owners experience within a year of owning the system. But let's be real here, you don't actually own a switch and are merely falseflagging.

Thread theme
youtu.be/NdeIPfHlQuM

>Works on my machine
It does and i had my first pair of joycons since forever but i suspect mine to have drift as some point as well, russian nintendo said that "it's okay" to have drift lmao

the same innovation that has set nintendo apart from the other companies is unfortunately its downfall. from the beginning these faggots have brought out gimmick after gimmick only for it to just fail or die with that generation never to be used again. anyway, im assuming that nintendo is so scared of intellectual theft that they prob don't have testers for this shit that they bring out and quality assurance just goes out the window.

it's not the contacts being dirty, it's the cheap, shitty product they use literally destroying itself with rotations of the joystick. It's the same EXACT problem they had with the N64 stick, they used the cheapest chinese garbage plastic they could source, and are now surprised when it turns to dust and stops functioning after a year or two.

I don't browse it you moron, but you can literally just google "JoyCons drifting" and Google will throw hundreds of Reddit threads into your face.

You are the moron, assface nigger.
>i-i don't browse it!!

>lmao just ship your controllers away for 3 weeks its literally NOT A ISSUE XD

>but then you'd have no controllers..? JAJAJA JUST BUY MORE JOYCONS THEN YOU POORNIGGER

t. maggot-brained OP

>all from 5 days ago or after
Wow epic! Totally not a paid slander campaign.

Fuck off falseflag

reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/b9gdak/i_disassembled_a_joycon_stick_to_shed_some_light/
Neck yourself drone

Don't be retarded, the problem is physical and appears because of a design flaw. It has been there since the beginning, you just hadn't noticed or it hadn't happened yet.

N64 Loose Joystick 2: Electric Boogaloo

Attached: N64_stick_drift.jpg (300x271, 11K)

Wrong, loose joystick was an user problem, mine still work perfectly, joycon drift is a design oversight.

Hell it's not just the stick that fucks up. I've had dpad and abxy inputs delayed or outright ignored.

No they aren't. Because I'm not some dumbass white man who uses joycons. Really nigga bought the dongle that lets you use any controller. PS4 or Xbox controller support for the switch.

Why the fuck would you use those baby small white man hand controllers?

>just spend more

I haven't had a problem with my joycons since late 2017 apart from the poor reception from non-clear vision between the controller and the Switch. I'm amazed at how prevelent this problem is.
However, I am genuinely curious about what people here even consider a good controller for Switch anyway?

Attached: lank peng.png (289x218, 160K)

I've tried the pro controller, it's probably the best option you really have. If the joycons continue having issues it'll be the only one.
Mine never had issues either but I consider myself pretty lucky with controllers. I have my original DS4 and it lasts 6 hours on a full charge, never once had the rubber tear on it, and those things are notorious for shitting the bed.

What's the solution? Is there a guide to replace parts to basically never have the problem again?

WRONG, it can be fixed by opening them up and cleaning it, stop spreading bullshit.

I just use a pro controller so I've never had this issue.

Not always

In theory you can open up the joycon, replace the entire stick with either an OEM or a rigged one and it'll have better contacts.
Not 100% of the time. In fact, I'd say under 25% of the time cleaning it is apt enough as a permanent fix. It's usually the actual contact plastics getting worn down.

How do you find the dpad on the pro?
Reading up on it has me worried but only really needed for platformers, as the face buttons of the joycon are great for puyotetris.

Have fixed 2 of them, both were fixed by cleaning, by opening the joysticks you can see very small dust causing interference.

They fixed the d-pad in a later revision. It's still a weak pivot but it's nowhere as bad as the launch pro controllers

I've opened up 2 of my own and both of them were totally annihilated and the connectors were so degraded because of the cheap plastics that the stick was unusable and had to be replaced entirely.

Neat, cheers for the heads up.

Yeah I'll need proof of that claim.

I'll need proof of yours then.

So how do we fix this? What is the material made of? Why did they use that soft shit? Can it be soldered possibly?

Huh? There's proof all over the internet, it gets fixed by cleaning it, you are making a different claim, prove it.

>there's proof all over the internet
should be easy to post then, right?

I'm surprised no one has made replacements with a completely different design, it shouldn't be hard.

youtu.be/lF4HQyic-qM
>Wario related game
Makes perfect sense

Repair them with what? They're gonna put the same shitty piece right back in there.

This retard broke the joystick, but as you can see it is not "completely annihilated", it can be put back and work perfectly, when you opened them, IF you opened them or even own one, you must have fucked them up, like that retard.

I know it's crazy. A huge missed opportunity. Somebody could have made bank by now if they designed a more durable stick to put into the joycon.

Well I hope someone with the means to do it, does it, it really needs a fix.

That's just how controllers work in general. All controllers suffer similar issue as it's ultimately a cost-to-benefit tradeoff. Using something that doesn't get worn down would usually mean some kind of other eventual defect instead of simply being worn off, in addition to a likely increase in price.

It actually is that hard. Name me a cheaper and more readily available material that can replace the contacts that can withstand repeated abuse.

worksonmymachine.jpg

I've sent them my Joycons in for repair before but I didn't fill out this form those times. They wanted me to send in my console the last time I did.
If I fill out this form will they just take my damn vibrators and fix them? I don't want to lose one of my MH machines for any length of time.

notforlong.png

Adamantium

If you care about the Dpad then don't buy a Pro controller.
Either get a 8Bitdo controller, one of those adapters that let you connect non-standard bluetooth controllers to the Switch or get a Hori pad.

>If you care about the Dpad then don't buy a Pro controller
>recommends 8bitdo instead
What did user mean by this?

Guys, every so often my switch will stop charging from the dock, and I have to either let the battery drain or reset it. How do I reset it? What if it’s already dead?

>Drifting

Attached: 847b6d7224dbaafbe2589ef840d98099.jpg (1920x1160, 337K)

>use dock mode 90% of the time with procon
>decide to go to handheld mode for some vns
>left stick start drifting
Why is the joycon so shit? I didnt even use it that often

what happened to nintendium

Iwata died.

If if my control does random inputs by it's itself I never dropped it just randomly fucked up one day.

Is the drift caused solely by use? i mostly use a pro controller, but id like to know if i need to get a extra set in case. do the newer colors have the same issue?

>If if my control does random inputs by it's itself I never dropped it just randomly fucked up one day
What?

>Is the drift caused solely by use?
No
>do the newer colors have the same issue?
Yes

If I turn it on it randomly goes home, up , down, left , right.

well that fucking blows, i would have just gone out and bought the new neon colors if they fixed it.

Any chance Nintendo will fix the drifting issue for new joycons?
I still haven't got a Switch yet.

the updated base model drops in august right? highly doubt it. Is this going to be a Red ring for ninty and tank the profits for the switch?

My only controller with drifting is this piece of shit

Attached: hori.jpg (500x466, 16K)

strange, havent had the issue on mine and i use it almost exclusively

I used it as aditional controller for when friends were over, but it stopped working properly after about a year. Just bought a real pro pad instead

>Non-issue
This is the only system I've ever owned to have such a wide range of issues within a span of a few weeks and drifting is one of them.
False flag. Ignore everything this user says.

Disregard that faggot.
All joycons have broken joysticks by design
The reason is that inside the joystick there is a metal part that moves on graphite pads to sense stick movement. As metal is harder than graphite it WILL wear out the pads eventually and there is nothing you can do to stop it
When the pads wear out enough, the system detects stick movement when there is none, aka stick drift
The only solution is to replace the stick every time this happens

>american subhumans and their lack of warranty

I got mine replaced for free, even thw shipping\return was free.

Attached: 1501197863351.png (900x506, 464K)

That's not what falseflagging is, samefag

They charge you for repairs? For their broken piece of shit controller? Fuck me.

Attached: evilest.gif (500x362, 391K)

>Dude just pay us to fix our problem lol

They sell replacement sticks. If you expect a controller to last forever you're retarded.

That being said joycons are built like trash. Have no idea why they thought this would be a good idea. Oh wait they're Nintendo and you faggots gobble their cocks. They could sell shit to you mongs.

>samefag

Attached: Screenshot_20190723-071345.png (1080x1920, 264K)

Americans have to pay the repair themselves because they live in a third world country. Here in Europe Nintendo repairs everything for free. I sent my pro controller to them because one button wasn't working properly and they gave me a new one for free

Thank christ I only play this fucking thing docked with a pro controller
>Charging to fix their problem

>Here in Europe Nintendo repairs everything for free
Not true, nintendo uk tried to charge me for it.

Nintendo has always had shitty analog sticks. How can you sue a company for being bad at something?

If you bought them within the year they fix it for free as part of their automatic warranty plan,

>Nintendo has always had shitty analog sticks
The fuck? No they didn't. It's just the joycon build quality is trash.

Idk about the UK but here in the Netherlands there's a law where electronic products always have a 2 year warranty. I thought it was an EU law

n64 and switch are the only nintendo consoles with controllers that are fundamentally broken though.

Only the joycons included with the console, if you buy extra joycons separately they only have a 90 day warranty period.

1 year warranty here. My joycons started drifting after the warranty already expired.

how come we haven't redesigned a entire new component for the sticks to function without killing themselves

You know that shit that happened to first wave PS4 controllers that made most of them have extremely easy to tear analog stick rubbers? Well most first wave joycons have extremely easy to malfunction analog stick calibration. Only difference here is unlike with Sony fans, Nintendo fans actually recognize there's a problem (to the point that they'd even sue Nintendo over it to get it fixed for free) rather than deny that their company of choice made a mistake on something.

And if you bought those within that timeframe they'd already be the redesigned ones that don't even have a drifting issue. Everybody that has this issue either adopted the system early or got a unit that was part of the launch batch.

>And if you bought those within that timeframe they'd already be the redesigned ones that don't even have a drifting issue.
You got any proof of a resdesign? Because I've read people have issues with newer joycons

Have they fixed it in new iterations of joycons?

>p-p-please believe me... i need your approval!
i accept your admission of defeat

Attached: 1549930803241.jpg (380x600, 106K)

i'm lucky to have bought the screwdrivers needed to open these things when i got one of those custom shells, i can just replace the joystick if it goes funny. still complete garbage though, they shouldn't have such an obvious fail condition.

The plastic material that causes drifting in a manufactured 2018 joycon got a slight update compared to a launch manufactured one. Not an actual redesign but Nintendo definitely seemed to recognize the problem and tried to fix it. Also as I said before, if a separate purchase or refurb it could still be from the launch batch that was just sitting in stock up until somebody bought it and got the issue more recently.. this happens way more often than you'd think since it's not something with an expiration date labeled on it and staff don't necessarily rotate older units up front.

As far as I can tell the new iteration has the same thumbstick
It takes a while for the damage to occur so people saying its better just haven't got to the point at which it occurs

I thought the drifting was caused by damage to the graphite plate and the dust generated by that?

JUST SPRAY CONTACT CLEANER OR ELECTRONIC LUBE UNDER THE FLAP YOU BRAINDEAD MORONS IT COSTS LIKE 5 BUCKS

Absolute bullshit, I got a yellow pair of joycons around 6 months ago and they already drift

*plate material sorry

Phoneposting autocorrected plate to plastic, most people won't notice it but from testing it doesn't seem to cause as much buildup to occur like the older stuff did.

>or got a unit that was part of the launch batch

Until you can provide any evidence at all for your claims I still call bullshit

>wanted to play some super mario party
>remembered that i have to use my joycon and that shit is the DRIFT KING

>it's not posted on reddit by a gold user with lots of thumbs up with the checkmark verification how can I believe this one internet stranger compared to this other internet stranger?

I got my Switch on launch day. Have not experienced this at all.

Sounds to me like people that can't take proper care of their hardware.

dont listen to this guy
that makes mustard gas

Not him but I never experienced drift on the N64 and I played the Mario party games alot.

It's what happens when your system doesn't have configurable deadzones for analog sticks.

so you have no source at all, got it.

As opposed to the other random posters that didn't provide any evidence at all?

Attached: 1554972376424.jpg (329x429, 65K)

>an issue exists
>you claim its fixed
>user asks for proof before making a purchase of a potentially faulty product
>WTF why do I need evidence to substantiate my claim go back to r/nintendo kid
(you)

Attached: 1561973599218.jpg (785x731, 112K)

I mean, Sony might.

Attached: 1446488138738.jpg (1000x1000, 147K)

Just shake the controller upside down and dab a q-tip around the inner side of the joystick shell while spinning the stick around slowly. It's dust buildup that fucks up the calibration so just do that a few times, maybe blast some compressed air there too, and it'll clear up fine.

>b-b-but sony

Oh no. It's you again. Are you still in that delusion that only Nintendo owners have stick drift problems? well this time I'll post some light reading material for (you)

twinfinite.net/2019/04/ps4-controller-analog-stick-drift-how-fix/
reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/6nxk1x/is_controller_drift_fixable_right_analog_stick/
ifixit.com/Answers/View/176783/My left analog stick moves down alone what should I do

Happy reading.

Yeah

How often do you have to do this and also how do you do it so the dust actually comes out and doesn't just get pushed to the side but staying inside so it just resettles back without opening up the screws?

Its a rare issue with ps4 controllers and common with joycons
Let me know when Sony is taken to court lmao

boards.fireden.net/_/search/filename/1446488138738/

Obsessed

>8 results over 3 years
>obsessed

Attached: 1540411867591.jpg (2000x1900, 569K)

>3 years
>never moved on from consolewar shitposting
Yep, upset + zoomer.

Have you not been on Yea Forums for 3 years?
What have you been doing here in that time?
I just want this shitty product to be fixed by the time SMT comes out

Explained right here that it's the graphite plate youtu.be/rUTuOOZlX9w

Did that with both joycons, they still haven't arrived...

what's the matter goy? you obviously were not using your videogame controller in a controlled environment

Attached: 1385854051677.png (560x407, 11K)

Nintendo should provide warranty extensions to all delivered cases, really. If you're gonna send a faulty product, at least fix it for free for longer. Or, well, change the product in warranty fix so that it doesn't have the design flaw anymore.

Duh

N64 joystick definitely was a design problem, regular use will eventually scrape away the gears/bowl due to friction. It can be prevented though by applying lithium grease to a mint condition controller. Also, the damaged parts are replaceable.

>markets portability, the definition of uncontrollability and unpredictability
>oh but play in a controlled setting

get outta here rabbi