Can we stop acting like retro games are better than indie games? Technology improves and the bar raises...

Can we stop acting like retro games are better than indie games? Technology improves and the bar raises, indie games overall have better graphics, sound, physics, hitboxes, AI, controls, and level design than retro games.

Attached: lol.jpg (500x648, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TjcOJmoJwpk
youtube.com/watch?v=nxB2K9l6S6E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>the bar raises
no you brainlet it goes up and down in varying cycles.

What did Bernini think when he was making those god-tier sculptures, impressing his dad?

Can we stop thinking that Mario 64 is the best 3D platformer?
Its not even the best 3D Mario

>retro games are better than indie games
Your definition of indie is probably different than mine. True indie games are pretty great because it's a product of passion. Most indie games are garbage because they are "ideas" that get bloated with money from investors that want to push social agenda.

Regardless, if given the choice between playing Bomberman64 or Celeste, I would rather play B64. That's just an example. Retro games are often timeless because of how they were made. Indie games are flavor of the month trash because of how they were made.

retro games = original ideas
indie games = soulless ripoffs with political agendas and/or kickstarter cash grabs attached

Attached: 1542944669909.png (243x234, 120K)

Most indie games are garbage simply because there is little barrier to entry so there is tens of thousands of them with dozens flooding Steam every day. Even just playing the top 5% of indie games is several hundred games

Necessity is the mother of innovation. Retro games are good because of how they were forced to creatively subvert hardware limitations of the time.
Indie games have almost complete freedom and this ironically inhibits creativity and makes for games that are either rudimentary and forgettable or completely derivative of retro games.

Attached: 1559808707294.gif (320x294, 1.7M)

Of course not every indie dev will fully utilize the tools and technology at their disposal (especially considering there is literally thousands of them) but to suggest that not a single one will is completely moronic.

>retro games are better than indie games?
You're kinda fucked.
Retro gaming mostly cares about the best retro games. So normal indie games are being compared to GOAT retro games.
But putting that aside, tech != better. My grandma has old stuff from before my parents were born and it still works very well. Now shit has planned obsolescence and it can take a computer to know what's wrong with a modern car.

Planned obsolence is for appliances, what the fuck does that have anything to do with computational advancements you fucking brainlet?

People just say the dumbest fucking things.

Very few indie games are actually better than the games they ripoff, and the ones that get the most praise are the ones that eye catching artstyles, its very much style over substance.

Reminder that vast majority of people who hate on indie games can count the number of indie games they have played or completed on one hand. If you haven't experienced some of the more niche passion projects that the genre has to offer than you can't speak of their quality.

Here is a good starting point once you have played all these games:
N++
Return of the Obra Dinn
Velocity 2X
Trackmania Turbo
Trials Fusion
Factorio
Into the Breach
Hyperlight Drifter
Dead Cells
Shovel Knight
Spelunky
Hotline Miami 1+2
Thumper
Super Meat Boy
The Binding of Isaac
The End is Nigh
Terraria
FTL
Geometry Wars
Nex Machina
Resogun
Dead Nation
Stardew Valley
Darkest Dungeon
Bastion
Ori and the Blind Forest
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Cuphead
Assault Android Cactus
Super Stardust HD
OlliOlli 1+2
Sine Mora
Rogue Legacy
Runner 2
Dyad
Hollow Knight
This is the Police
Furi
Don't Starve
Katana Zero
Door Kickers: Action Squad
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

>OP claimed technology improves and the bar raises
>Appliances are tech
>Tech improved but the bar lowered
I put it in retard points just for you, user.

I'm not playing these shit games. Nice pasta though.

Appliance BUILD QUALITY is not the same thing as advancement or innovation with computing technology you fucking mouthbreathing mong

>No cave story
>Super meat boy
>Binding of Isaac

Attached: 1541798926615.png (550x550, 50K)

>clearly increasing art quality going back up until the punchline

what point is this image trying to make

>door kickers action squad
literal 2d wankfest with terrible pixel art that's just blobs on blobs.

all of those games are shit.

Thanks for the list user.

Name one(1) game made with passion.

95% of the time indieshit is just inferior rip-offs of retro games

I've unironically never once played a good indie game. In fact, on the subject:
>get recommended deadbolt by Yea Forums
>it's pixelshit that would've been barebones by newgrounds standards

>4th panel
youtu.be/TjcOJmoJwpk

>no freeware
>indie

Attached: 1561693257219-v.jpg (549x473, 151K)

then stop playing shit indie games

>Can we stop acting like Indie games are better than AAA games? Technology improves and the bar raises, AAA games overall have better graphics, sound, physics, hitboxes, AI, controls, and level design than Indie games.

literally who

Recettear was pretty good (outside the dungeons)
Not him, but Rance games

t. indie dev

>No DUSK
>No Brigador
>No Xenonauts
Kill yourself.

Silent Hill 1. The FMVs were made almost entirely by one guy and still look amazing.

>compares animation to realistic studies
What a stupid image

Allow me to fix your comic
>I'm the best
>Will I ever be as good as the old masters?
>Will I ever be as good as the old masters?
>GRUG

Hollow Knight

inafter someone made a throwaway "lol they all suck" comment

Honestly it the renaissance guy should lead to a great sculptor saying 'I'm the best"

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy and other such jank-kino games like Pathologic.

You don't have to go all the way back to cave paintings: the Ancient Greeks thought they had perfected art.

What are some video games with this aesthetic?

Attached: _95243010_cavedavidstanley[1].jpg (660x371, 74K)

Cuphead is the exact games I was thinking of when I typed style over substance.

Dwarf fortress

You're mostly right.
Though I can't think of an indie game that does Zelda better than Zelda. CrossCode almost gets there but is too bogged down in RPG filler bullshit.

Cuphead is both style AND substance though. The controls and hitboxes are tight and the boss design and mechanics are great as well. It's just one of those really rare games you can only get through pure passion and near autistic levels of attention to detail, it's like a game that really shouldn't exist but thankfully it does.

I can smell the greasy flab of Sunshine fag emanating from your post

I prefer the end is nigh to super meat boy

No fucking indie game is better than Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VI, Fire Emblem 4, Chrono Trigger, etc.

That's where you're wrong nostalgiatard boomer

>Bernini
Based

Attached: gohomegamergirl.jpg (979x1306, 783K)

Please list a game better than each of those in it's genre.

Real side scrolling platformers and survival horror games aren't even made anymore, it's way too much work for lazy ass indie developers.

While all artists should look to those in their craft who 'mastered' their work for influence and inspiration, no artist will think consciously 'am I as good at the old masters?' if he is an artist of any worth while he is in the process of creating. Not to mention the top two panels don't even make sense. Some guy drawing bugs bunny isn't going to be thinking 'am I as good as the old masters who are hanging in the vatican?' lmao of course you aren't, you're drawing cartoons. Just f-tier comic all around.

>implying animation doesn't require more artistry than dusty old renaissance paintings prized only by fart huffers
Golden age cartoons > a still life bowl of fruit

DUSK is bad

Most of the retro games that people still love today like what mentioned are still loved because they're great. It's not a NEW BAD, OLD GOOD thing because there were a lot of shitty games back in the day. A lot of indie games are shit but there are some that I've really enjoyed like Minecraft and Cuphead. Looking at all games, yeah indies are probably a bit better than retro games but both groups have spawned great games that are more or less equal

This is the actual reason, there are tons of dogshit retro games that were just as quickly forgotten. Same thing happens today, although Steam makes it a bit easier to see.

>FE 4
Based as fuck

You could argue Isaac but Super Meat Boy is legitimately good

Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge, Cave Story, Iconoclasts

I don't really play turn-based JRPGs and find them to be very overrated but PoE, Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2, Cross Code, Darkest Dungeon, Dead Cells, XCOM2, Underrail, Shadowrun are somewhat similar and are all great games.

You sure you're not mistaking Dusk for Duskers?

End is Nigh was elevated by having the voice of based Rich Evans.

Attached: Screen_Shot_2018-12-03_at_11.30.17_AM[1].jpg (800x450, 45K)

Is this bait? I can't tell anymore

Banner Saga?

>Xcom 2
>artificial difficulty simulator

opinion disregarded.

Sorry but no. Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night are still the peak of the Metroidvania genre and none of the clones we get these days comes anywhere near them.
And the old CRPGs like Arcanum, Fallout, Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape:Torment are still miles better than the ones we are getting lately.

Just like your mom

Those are some of the best games af all time. Not a single indie game belongs in a top 100.

Attached: dick the birthday boy.jpg (156x163, 3K)

>Dick the Birthday Boy

Attached: 1414894048706.gif (300x169, 558K)

That's your opinion but it sounds like you are heavily influenced by nostalgia and the feelings you had at the time when playing the games. When not accounting for how good they were *for their time* and just comparing their overall quality, I wouldn't really say those games are any better than their indie game variants.

My top games of all time has changed constantly over the past 10-15 years as I play new games and realized many of the games I loved at the time haven't held up very well.

Retro games had 50+ people working on them and classically trained composers for music. Indie games have 2 pasty trannies working in a bay area garage

I'm not influenced by nostalgia at all as i played those two games for the first time not even five years ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=nxB2K9l6S6E

he wanted to do justice to God

Michelangelo is better, obsessing over realism is stupid

The kid in the shirt is Rich Evans

And the person in the bear suit is Julia Roberts before she became a celebrity

Galaxy is the best 3D Mario

Pretty sure everyone knows this by now.

Attached: Rich_Evans.jpg (310x242, 12K)

>Galaxy movement system
The only reason Odyssey isn't the best Mario is because it's using the Galaxy movement system. Awful.

good game design doesn't age, every time period has great games and technology cannot make up for stupid game designers with no passion

>comparing tens of thousands of years of art history to 50 years of video game history

Anyway a lot of people probably would say that there hasn't been an artist as good as someone like say Michelangelo since he died
Art is the kind of thing that seems to thrive more under certain conditions as well it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with human capabilities evolving over time
It seems pretty obvious that most indie devs do not have the level of skill that devs in the past did they just have more advanced easier to use tools but all this really means is that there are more shit games than ever before
Saying the bar has been raised is completely wrong it's really the exact opposite

Attached: 1552845398163.png (645x729, 80K)

But better technology allows developers to better realize their vision

Sotn is still great but it's not even the best castlevania, way too easy and a fuckton of games surpassed it

Videogames getting worse not because technology is getting better, retard, but because video game audience becomes bigger

Different guy here.

I'm not gonna comment on metroidvanias, but as far as RPGs go, time is kinda irrelevant; a good story is a good story, regardless of the other aspects of the game.

Most RPGs now are turboshit, and part of that is because a lot of themes are deemed unprofitable by companies due to the social climate.

It's also because the industry is much more mainstream than it used to be; you aren't just getting the fanatics who are truly dedicated to making a great game, you're also getting shitters who figure it's a good enough move as a career.

But there's generally no clear rule of thumb with games; sometimes the old game will be better, and sometimes the new, because there are so many fucking variables at play, and the majority of them are subjective.

Mainstream games are getting worse, but you just have to know where to look.

while this is true, better technology also means higher budgets needed, which means retarded jew investors get to pitch in retarded ideas and ruin the game for everyone involved, but when they somehow manage to stick to their vision i agree we do get some amazing stuff that would not have been possible before.

JRPGs never had good story lol. There is very few games with decent stories or writing and old school JRPGs are not them.

>Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
developed by an industry veteran with a $5 million budget, this hardly qualifies as an indie.

Vagrant Story, Suikoden II and FFTactics have better stories than anything coming out today.

Obviously, i'm just saying that OP is a retard who implies that people saying that games got worse because of technological progress.

Oh, so it is bait.

I've yet to play a run and gun as excellent as Metal Slug 3. I played Blazing Chrome recently and, while extremely good, and the closest thing to an actual Contra game we'll get any time soon, it still pales in comparison to even Hard Corps, the game it draws inspiration from.

isn't bastion trash and crypt of the necrodancer sjw trash?
geometry wars is indie? I played that in high school

Geometry Wars 3 is great, Bastion is good, and I'm not sure how CotN is SJW at all?

There are some absolutely outstanding indie games, there are a lot of absolutely trash indie games. The sheer amount being produced these days is both good and bad.
I do genuinely believe 95% of the good games we're getting these days come from at least semi-indie studios/devs though. Just because there's lots of trash doesn't ruin the treasures.

Attached: 1525195889032.png (411x371, 137K)

Someone else with the IQ of that fag from the /vr/ thread who said that DUSK was simultaneously pandering to casuals by making all enemies melee or projectile-based and also too hard because the projectiles did to much damage?

Am I fucking old because I haven't heard of half of these games?

AAAAMARAAAA EEEEEEE EEEE ENTEPLENIIII ETENEEEEEE , IM A CHE A NA PEO A OOOOOOOOOOO EN EL OTRO EN EL PICHE EEEEEEEEE , SOMA A ENDERLEZI A SOMAA ANDA EEEEEEE EEE ENDERLEZIII , EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEENDERLEZIIII

>No Cave Story
>No La-Mulana
>No Kerbal Space Program
bruh

>Sine Mora
>Indie
Grasshopper Inc. is not indie

Attached: 1555040257917.jpg (1081x669, 63K)

>wojak

I instantly don't care. Kill yourself.

>Trials Fusion
RedLynx has 110 employees and is an Ubisoft subsidiary. Pretty far from being "indie".

bottom left is best

says you

Kero Blaster

Elders and old masters should /always/ be revered as the standard for greatness. Society determines who is great not the artists themselves.

I was about to name Cave Story, but I guess you beat me to it.

Well it's trying to say animation and painting a still image are the same thing. Well I guess they are, but animation has different priorities compared to a still image. Regardless, the comic is retarded.

>thinks technology = better artistic skill
Leonardo Da Vinci didn't have photoshop layers, but his aesthetics and technique tear modern day artists to shreds.
Cave men didn't have fancy canvases and paints, but their art was aesthetically superior to anything you could produce on a cave wall with smears of berry juice.

Has anyone tried to take cave painting to higher technical skill while using only materials and tools a cave man would've only been able to use? That'd be neat.

It's obvious the creator of this comic will never be as good as the old masters.

>the beginning of art was shit so looking to any time before the present as a higher standard is stupid because cultural decline can never happen

Attached: 1561260616029.png (648x630, 461K)