Yea Forums tells me that Planescape: Torment is a "visual novel"

>Yea Forums tells me that Planescape: Torment is a "visual novel"
>Play it
>It's an open-world RPG with quests, hubs, day/night cycle, towns, stats, party members, tons of items, spells, abilities like stealth and pick-pocketing, etc, and tons of scenarios that can be approached with multiple ways. Actually, it's completely optional to do much talking, in fact you won't get as much dialogue options depending on how you level your character

So, you guys don't actually play any games, do you?

Attached: Planescape-Torment-Header-02.jpg (1920x1080, 632K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HCpk7HIryK0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The combat is shit so you might as well go big brained to unlock a bunch of dialogue options and talk your way out of as many fights as you can.

Will we ever get another game set in the Planescape universe, Yea Forums?

D&D?

Just go full unga bunga strength, get the best weapon and solo the game, fuck companions

Why is the combat shit? What makes it worse than other old ass crpgs?

It's not as fun as other similar games like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale.
Main character also basically carries every fight - your companions aren't nearly as powerful.

I'm too much of a zoomer for it, but I've never said anything bad about it on Yea Forums.

>Companions don't do muc-

Attached: Githzerai-Dak-kon_rendering-(1999)_WOTC_Black_Isle_studios_D&D_-_Planescape_Torment.jpg (640x480, 28K)

same, i just can't get into crpgs

Its a cope from zoomers who cant into it

>It's an open-world RPG with quests, hubs, day/night cycle, towns, stats, party members, tons of items, spells, abilities like stealth and pick-pocketing, etc, and tons of scenarios that can be approached with multiple ways

Attached: 1558488244799.jpg (648x620, 96K)

planescape torment is just a westaboo version of ffxv. it has the same braindead casualized combat where you literally can't die, same fetch quests, and same pathetic magic system.
it really speaks volumes about both genres that planescape torment is praised as the greatest wrpg ever while ffxv is considered one of the most disappointing jrpgs ever.

Attached: consider.png (600x451, 205K)

ENDURE

h

They really don't, especially if your MC is anything resembling a fighter build.

cRPGs are söy repellent of the highest degree.

>>Yea Forums tells me
Whatever follows, you have only yourself to blame.

wrpgs are sjw movies with reddit """"humor.""""

Except WRPGs have next to zero cutscenes and always give control to the player. Meanwhile, JRPGs, like Persona 5, have over forty hours of cutscenes along with SJW propaganda in them.

Attached: 1551810711207.jpg (738x302, 106K)

Oooh this is edgy

Cope harder, youngling. PS:T offers more freedom than whatever you like, so it's improper to call it a film.

>99% of the enemies are generic slow moving melee guys (brain rats, that one mage in the castle thing after the desert town and a small number of the bosses are the only non-melee physical guys I can remember)
>spells are almost all just damagers, very few useful effect spells
>most spells take years to cast, and then deal a piddly amount of damage in comparison to generic melee
>no ranged attacks besides spells, which suck as aforementioned
The combat is irredeemable garbage. I just stealthed by everything because the alternatives are spending minutes on unga bunga flesh wall enemies, dumping the dialogue stats in a dialogue game which is retarded or I would have to set the difficulty down like a god damn pleb, none of which are acceptable options.

Is there any way to make Mage's good? Went INT/CHA and I feel memed with the way the spell system works.

Yea Forums never made it out of the duster temple

>visual novel

Why is Yea Forums's vocabulary so stunted? Literally anything with an emphasis on story is a "visual novel" according to you dribblers.

Attached: 1538336105816.jpg (297x547, 30K)

>Main character also basically carries every fight - your companions aren't nearly as powerful.
did you get mortes teeth

>>Yea Forums tells me that Planescape: Torment is a "visual novel"
It is. It's a sub-par AD&D2e experience except the joke is that there's at least 500k words and it's the length of a novel.
>It's an open-world RPG with quests, hubs, day/night cycle, towns, stats, party members, tons of items, spells, abilities like stealth and pick-pocketing, etc, and tons of scenarios that can be approached with multiple ways.
You're grossly overstating things. All of these systems are barebones compared to even Baldur's Gate, let alone actual good games. Most of the content isn't fun to engage in on a game level, and it's biggest actual game mechanic was straight up copped by Fallout 1 except done better.
>Actually, it's completely optional to do much talking, in fact you won't get as much dialogue options depending on how you level your character
Yeah, that sounds like an intelligent thing to do. Let's play the visual novel in a way that cuts out MORE content than it gives you. Real genius there pal. Hey, did you know Resident Evil, it's actually COMPLETELY optional to use the gun and you can just knife and run everything? WOW What a whole new game experience?

Pffft. This thread is shit, Planescape is shit, and OP is a fag.

I've seen people on this board say that point and click adventure games are not videogames. it's a wild place

>The combat is shit

I seriously feel like that's just something everyone's been conditioned to say in PST discussions these days, maybe because the dialogue is so strong so they say it as a counterbalance.

The combat is completely fine, it's not significantly worse than BG2 and it's much better than BG1, and no-one complains about 1's combat.

No, it's deprecated.

embarrassing post desu

Because no one here has actually played it. PST is probably the game people pretend to have played the most. Even Felicia Day did it

(You)
*farts*

Why does no one ever mention the 10/10 OST for this game?
youtube.com/watch?v=HCpk7HIryK0

The gameplay is pretty basic, user.

the reddit-tier story doesn't make up for how horrible the gameplay is.

>the game people pretend to have played the most.

Attached: DeusExCover.png (600x745, 623K)

>HURR ANYWAN THAT HATE IT DIDN'T PLAY IT!
How intellectual you must be to take up an argument where everyone who could possibly bring up legitimate arguments against your shitty game MUST be a hater.

>reddit-tier story
What does this even mean?

Attached: when cityslickers enther the thread.gif (500x288, 3.58M)

Only uhtil you leave Sigil though, then come the rails.

>The combat is completely fine, it's not significantly worse than BG2 and it's much better than BG1, and no-one complains about 1's combat.
Have you played any of these games? PST has no interesting enemies besides RATS, which are unfortunately only encountered briefly in only one part of the entire game. The combat is a complete slog and it never improves, unlike BG1 which goes from a missing simulator to giving you a massive array of useful spells to make use of and deal with encounters uniquely. PST has the lousiest selection of enemies and spells of any RPG, they may look pretty but lack any actual gameplay substance.

Fighter is way worse, just wait until you get Cloudkill.

it's 2019 and retards on videogame forums still think gameplay = raw combat

nah, deus ex is pretty approachable compared to pst

true, but idc. Planescape > BG

It still has more depth than Skyrim

It means 'I don't like it'.

This, but Fallout 1/2 > both.

>Most of the content isn't fun to engage in on a game level, and it's (*its) biggest actual game mechanic was straight up copped by Fallout 1 except done better.
And what, exactly, is that?

it means that the story displays high amounts of redditness.

okay, i dont agree but that's a respectable and based opinion.

>maybe because the dialogue is so strong so they say it as a counterbalance.
It's not, and that's the biggest problem with Planescape Torment. The entire core and crux of the story is wrapped around a singular question, "What can change the nature of a man". The problem with this is the question is so rhetorical as to be nonsense. There are dozens and dozens upon dozens of correct answers to this question, and the game even makes a mockery of it by showcasing to you 22 different responses which are all valid, including "love" and even "nothing".

If you're asking a question in an attempt to be deep, but the answer to that question is literally everything, then you have formed a bad question. Full stop. Once you get over the pretentious feeling of how deep a nonsensical but emotive-sounding question is, you realize the entire experience deflates.

Based autist

Conversation options change depending on your level of intelligence.

That's it. That's the joke. That's PST's biggest contribution to video games.

Arcanum > Fallout

step 1: cast locust swarm (or whatever its called)
step 2: cast something with a long animation

okay this is based.

It's not. Don't listen to these faggots. If you can do Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc combat then it's perfectly fine. I never knew the combat was "shit" until the Internet told me so. Avoid these type of games in general if you hate RTwP, though.

Facts

It's called "hyperbole". People aren't being literal when they call it a VN. The idea is that the writing is the only worthwhile part of the game.

The thing is, the question is there to help you realize your autism is incurable. That's kinda meta and deep.

if you're playing a wrpg in the first place, you already know your autism is incurable.

Play shadow tower 1 and the jap only sequel abyss with the fan translation. Both not literally planescape but evoke similar feelings. Just weird alien locations and enemies and some kinda harsh gameplay systems.

>If you're asking a question in an attempt to be deep, but the answer to that question is literally everything
That's wrong though, there's a definitive answer to that question which the games reinforces throughout the game. If you missed it despite the writers beating the player over their heads over it I don't know what to tell you.

The best literature doesn't give answers, it gives questions; it supposes that your answers are the only ones that will matter to you.

I don't agree, but I respect your opinion

>if you can tolerate shit combat it somehow becomes fine

What INT/WIS score is this?

And what pretell is that answer that I missed and what makes it more or less correct than anything else?

Absolutely retarded. Literature and Media that only ask questions is just J.J. Abrams.

imagine making this image ironically when you look like that.

>PS:T takes itself seriousl-

Attached: QKKJZ10.jpg (640x480, 55K)

Your opinion is based solely around RPG codex's hivemind. I'd guess your INT score hovers around 5.

>So, you guys don't actually play any games, do you?
You're just figuring this out now

>So, you guys don't actually play any games, do you?
You're just figuring this out now?

Everytime this image is used it's for the most dishonest shit. Since the dawn of time

Blatant samefag.

You're just figuring this out now?

>He's never got a girl flustered with his physical contact

What a beta lol

Deus Ex is really easy to get into though.

Nope, I bothered to check out the game. In any case, Excrucian Shards do not get your silly Wizards and Goblins stats.

Don’t believe anything on Yea Forums

probably the most easy to get into RPG Yea Forums recommends

Attached: 2013-04-10_00001.jpg (1680x1050, 118K)

Just remember: stick with the prod.

Just remember that your choices mean jack shit and you choose the ending by pressing one of three buttons in the final dungeon.

That would be New Vegas.

Attached: Top 100 RPGs - v.png (1200x1590, 211K)

Jesus, all those shitty JRPGs over real classics

Admit it: you simply hate the combat because it's easy compared to its contemporaries and doesn't require the same turbo autism that you need for Baldur's Gate. My only real complaint about the combat is that fighters are OP and higher level spells get annoying Final Fantasy like cut scenes. Overall, the combat is fine but nothing to get worked up over.

Why are these lists always so terrible?
Seriously, New Vegas at number 1.

Which is completely fine. You get different datalinks depending on how you treated characters throughout the game, so your choices do have some influence on the last part of the game. What would be shitty is if they literally just put a bunch of buttons side by side and had you press one, and then all of the different button presses basically gave you the same ending, but fortunately no one ever made a game that fucking retarded.

New Vegas was the first real RPG for a lot of people and it's a lot more accessible than most 90s/early 00s RPGs. It's also a good game in its own right, even though I wouldn't say it's the best Fallout let alone the best RPG. It's not surprising that it's number one.

its obvious he didnt play it because he didnt mention anything that specifically exists in the game, because he doesnt know whats in the game.

>gothic II at number 4

Damn, almost like it was some kind of joke or something

Attached: 1613.gif (320x240, 10K)

But your choices influence what happens during missions which is what matters and is generally what people mean when they talk about choices, shit that affects the way the player progresses, not the players power to change which slides show up in the ending powerpoint.

Wizards of The Coast decided to market to minorities and people who revolve around their gender identities, instead of, you know, people who enjoy good writing and world building.

New Vegas was fallout 3, except made by obsidian, so it was ok for everyone to like it despite being the exact same shit, but they still wanted to be fallout fans since they heard so much about 1 and 2. so new vegas it is, their new favorite elderscrolls oblivion expansion.

>Valkriya Chronicles at 18
what the hell? Was this the year it got its steam port or something?

its a list made by Yea Forums, you can bump something up the ranks by being extra autistic.

I think people tend to forget really just how awful everything about the main plot of 3 is after you leave the vault. Just by having a not pants on headed retarded one makes New Vegas vastly superior

Bethesda just took surface level elements of 1 and 2's plot and stapled them together in the most nonsensical way possible.

Attached: Fallout 3 Story.png (912x670, 85K)

the gameplay is so mindnumbingly easy you can faceroll through the entire game you retard
people have been calling planescape torment a vn for years
imagine playing planescape torment for the first time in 2019, kill yourself you faggot

>persona 5 the movie
>20 hours long
I'm surprised he didn't title it "FULL SHOW" and upload episode by episode, each episode being an hour long. Probably get more views that way

>Yea Forums says it's a VN
>back half of the game is filled with shitty dungeon crawls
What the fuck went wrong with Curst? I thought it was unfinished territory from then on, but the Fortress of Regrets was fine.

Attached: 1560626120142.jpg (550x550, 26K)

>Yea Forums is one person shitposting