Why aren't we seeing indie devs using the low poly aesthetic? The early 3D nostalgia wave should be starting around now

Why aren't we seeing indie devs using the low poly aesthetic? The early 3D nostalgia wave should be starting around now.

Low poly thread.

Attached: legends.png (743x507, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P5n5TFvd_a8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There's Nightshift

youtube.com/watch?v=P5n5TFvd_a8

Some of them are using low poly.

Some people eventually grew out of their 'lol 2d' phase, hopefully the same happens with low poly at one point

Attached: Ballistic NG.jpg (1920x1080, 613K)

There have been a few developers using it and people here always cry about how it's soulless basedboy nostalgia-pandering indie shit.

it's easier to make sprites than it is models, no matter how simple

It's really hard to do well. Pixel and 2D is way easier.

Attached: 1533236805269.png (1920x1200, 724K)

if there is no "retro filter" in the gamemaker or unity engine trial application, then don't count on it.

>It's really hard to do well.
That's an understatement. Think of Virtua Fighter 2. That game was made with literal military grade hardware, even today it's not feasible for indies.

Attached: 7A79P2E.gif (494x273, 1.8M)

Yo! Noid 2 simulated it extremely well. Then we never heard from those devs again.

It requires a lot of knowledge/talent to pull off the right art style for low poly. A ton of ps1/n64 games don't even look all that great and people tend to post the same ones (Megaman Legends, Dr. Slump) in these threads.

maybe in the future, but low poly requires more effort than sprites

Attached: tiesel.gif (124x125, 9K)

the design have to be genuinely good to not look like shit, it's much easier to hide from the fact that the fundamental design is shit by adding on tons of details and thus low poly is not possible.

There needs to be a good game to start it. Some have tried but they've been mini games at best, terrible flops at worst.

>those mouths drawn at an angle to make it look like they have depth from the perspective of the camera in the cutscene
that's the good stuff

why should devs follow an aesthetic?

Attached: 1519933948771.jpg (365x500, 64K)

Low poly is the true vidya aesthetic, pretty much every other type of vidya visuals is used in other media, even pixel art. Only low poly is an exclusively vidya style, fun, game-y, and engaging.

Attached: 8IDweI1.png (1120x840, 134K)

it's very hard to do well. harder than 2d pixel art in fact

It’s a tremendous amount of effort, which I didn’t appreciate until a recent playthrough I did of legends 1. It’s the mark of a lot of love put into the game

Attached: fkjvq7v.gif (600x448, 1.63M)

Good way to put it. Low poly makes me think of 90s Sega arcade games, pure gameplay and a positive mood.

I don't. For me, low-ploy is very unnerving. maybe perhaps is how much I used to play Resident Evil back in the day but I think it can be used easily to create an oppressive atmosphere.

Attached: vagrant guildenstern.gif (260x190, 2.94M)

Attached: Vagrant story sing.gif (300x220, 2.88M)

Attached: vagrant story ashley.gif (320x240, 1.07M)

Attached: vagrant ending.gif (300x200, 1.81M)

Very basic models in Unity is probably the closest you're going to get from indies unless they're putting in extra effort to mimic early low poly.
It's actually harder to try and make low poly that looks good instead of just forcing the issue with smooth tools and making something "simple"
For example Legends has a fuckton of sprite work as textures for all the facial expressions. Nobody is willing to do shit like that in the current era because they don't have too.
If there is a retraux low poly 3d nostalgia wave you're getting the 3d equivalent of indie pixelshit instead of SNK love and care.

>here's your low poly bro

Attached: 1563845068625.jpg (1200x1200, 108K)

This is the brainlet tier low effort shit you see posted everywhere but you can still build on this aesthetic to make it look good.

Attached: waycaster lowpoly 3d indie game.jpg (1920x1080, 303K)