Why were older operating systems so much comfier for gaming?

why were older operating systems so much comfier for gaming?

youtube.com/watch?v=miZHa7ZC6Z0

Attached: win95-1-1.png (640x400, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6suWwnjGKgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tajDxBaPBBM
youtube.com/watch?v=pSGfuxjjyxI
youtu.be/m2e4W8-Paqk
youtube.com/watch?v=-hjmCIVquok
youtube.com/watch?v=nIoQAEBImv8
youtube.com/watch?v=Zx8wsb_1eYU
youtube.com/watch?v=m2e4W8-Paqk
youtube.com/watch?v=RcgahfzMlmw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

kys yourself zoomer

because launchers are cancer

OLD

Is there a way to modify modern games to play on older OS's?

youtube.com/watch?v=6suWwnjGKgQ
>the best windows boot sound was used for an OS that most people used in offices likely without speakers

Not so sure, I remember having to manually set up IRQ channels for sound card and it sucked

Windows 98 was peak comfy. Thats when I played games like the sims and roller coaster tycoon

youtube.com/watch?v=tajDxBaPBBM

youtube.com/watch?v=pSGfuxjjyxI

Attached: 1544225467942.png (253x266, 43K)

because you:
didn't need launchers and used cd cracks simply for the convenience of not having to put the stupid disc in every time you wanted to play games
old os also didn't run 900 services for a bunch of worthless tasks.
gpu drivers weren't a fucking gig and boated with trash (well maybe except old amd drivers that used a bunch of shitty net framework dependencies)
but:
sound blaster drivers were bloated and shitty
new gpus were out every 6 months
windows got so mucked up you reformatted twice, sometimes more per year, for that "fresh os" feeling

Kids these days don't know the comfy of that windows CTF game or the horrors of outrunning the abominable snowman in skifree

Because IBM PC was a new platform and it was full of experimental games.

Because less bullshit, more control over what's happening and so on.

Also
>were
I still use everything from 6.22 to XP in VMs.

Not nearly as much as you make it out to be. You remembered your Sound Blaster settings like now you faggots remember your mobile phone numbers, or twatter URLs, or fagcord URLs or whatever.

I play without launchers of any kind.

No, a lot of the times they use resources/commands that aren't present in older versions.

Everything was comfier in the 90’s

>game requires a windows 95 emulator to run at all

Attached: download (21).jpg (313x161, 12K)

Doesn't matter much. Start a "command prompt" and post results of the following:
sc query aelupsvc
sc query DiagTrack
sc query dmwappushservice

Every 16 bit Windows game ever. I wish there was a DOSBox-like emulator for Windows 3.x.

You can run 3.11 under DOSbox. Or you can setup 6.22 in VirtualBox and then install 3.11 in there like a man.

yep

Attached: noj6w3e6xz111.jpg (640x640, 118K)

I do, but I would actually like a more simple option that could be used to sell those versions on GOG.com.

>playing late 90s/early 00s games have less input lag on 98 over any modern OS
i hate playing older fps games while knowing this

>sell those versions on GOG.com
For what purpose?

>tfw we can't just be stuck in the 90s culturally, demographically, spiritually and innocently forever

Attached: 1533808179714.png (311x446, 89K)

are you talking about crt vs lcd lag or something else?

Is there any way for me to play this now?
I wanna remember the good times.

where did i mention anything about a monitor? input lag in a game can come from a literal endless amount of sources in different variable amounts

>why were older operating systems so much comfier for gaming?
Because you were younger.

how do you know a game will have less lag if you play it on 98 vs a modern os then?

>blue sky, fluffy cloud, near-space aesthetic is pretty much dead
Just kill me, Pete. The human soul peaked in the 90s, then rotted in the most horrific way.

Attached: windows_xp_bliss-wide.jpg (1920x1200, 1008K)

Not him but one possible cause is different HAL.

i figured you may have just misread but now you've confirmed that you are absolutely retarded

don't reply to me again or seek further discourse

They weren't, xp/7 were the gaming OS sweet spot.
Pre-9 DirectX was motherfucking awful, the 90s sucked with multiple different graphics apis that worked with different gpus or 15fps softwre modes.
this however is 100% legit and fuck launchers fuck steam fuck galaxy fuck bethesda uplay origin epic whatever the fuck else there is, i don't use any of them anyway because I PIRATE EVERYTHING

that is where we go when we die

why did so much stuff in the 90s use these pink and blue colors? or just a really colorful look overall. its a weird trend that is specific to like a few years in the early 90s

Attached: ad18f41af23ce50ca37794562a9dc892.jpg (465x627, 45K)

I am of are snuggld

Attached: untitledComfort.jpg (1280x800, 122K)

>past pc gaming
>games ported to pc were shittier ports.
>today's pc gaming
>consoles are the shittier ports

i do not miss the past at all.

rememeder the windows 95 boot sound was composed on a mac

fun fact: it's a real photo

Think before that, before porting was a commonplace practice.

No, I'm going to reply to you again. I want a clear answer because I am curious. Why would playing a game in Windows 98 have less input lag than playing that same game in Windows 10? Does Windows 10 inherently have more lag or something? You're treating me like an idiot but you aren't articulating your complaint clearly.

DOS, Win 3.1 - XP = soul
Win 7 = some soul
Win 8 - 10 = soulless

Attached: setupke3.png (640x480, 29K)

I remember some shenanigans after win xp where they changed their audio pipeline which made recording instruments and such have shit latency, think its been mostly worked around now in win 10 though. I still have my recording pc in basement set up, but never use it (with win xp)

youtu.be/m2e4W8-Paqk

differences in input lag coming from different HAL's would be imperceptible

>grayons
fake soul, zoomer bullshit to the xtreme
>default shell
>not litestep or talisman
maximum poser
>ps4
vomit
>pirated gog version of morrowind, not disc
it just keeps getting worse holy fuck

you forgot
>utorrent
literal spyware

Attached: e05.jpg (1920x1200, 127K)

youtube.com/watch?v=-hjmCIVquok

You might be correct, I haven't dug into this particular part of ingenious MS programming ever. DX has pretty much always been shit with people having to keep distros of "good" DXs from several "epochs" (like v5 and v8 I think). But that's about it.

>grayons
I can only imagine you're 14 if you think it's zoomer
>Using tacky rainmeter lever desktop spam
Enjoy your useless crap tacked on desktop lmao
>ps4
I'll enjoy Bloodborne thnxbai
>not pirating games
Sorry, lemme just go spend pocket change on a physical copy of morrowind? lolwtf
samefag

lol i didn't see that, holy shit
could give him the benefit of the doubt and assume its a version from 2006 or something but probably not
imo a true xp experience needs azureus but that's just what i used
you're nothing but a poser lol, i bet you grew up with vista
>le wojack face isn't zoomer
poser
>litestep isn't faster than xp's default shell
peak zoomer, i bet you don't even use winamp
>bloodborne
at least pick a more recent game for your stupid zoomer console lol, maybe get a dreamcast folder yeah?
>not already having a boxed copy of morrowind
this isn't helping your case you 13 year old wannabe

also lol
>chrome
you watching pewdiepie while you post kiddo?

>says wojack because he uses know your meme
Please try harder
>needing xp to go faster
Ahahahahahahahaha
>Assblasted he hasn't played Bloodborne
Does rainmeter have some useless tack for how raw your asshole is from not enjoying BB?
>Implying anyone would keep boxed morrowind
I bet you bought the lunchbox edition of Fo3 lmao
>Who the fuck is pewdiepie
I think you're projecting fatty ^_^

lol you are so fucking mad i made fun of your poser xp setup you trash child

Yeah the difference between us is I use XP because I bought $50 laptop, you use it because you're literally picrelated lmfao

Attached: IOnlyUseDicklessXP.jpg (530x402, 43K)

SAGGY

I don't use xp lol, i just used it when it was current because i'm not a 14 year old poser.
Enjoy your shit laptop with zero protection against 10+ years of bugs and exploits, maybe install linux on it yeah?
>that filename
Fucking lol how mad are you? Try not to punch your screen, you might not be able to afford another $50!

Virus: The Game anyone?

Women, old people and children love the bright pretty colours.

>Retarded nostalgia faggot loser can't even defend his own claims
>Spergs out the moment het gets exposed
Pathetic, really. There is a reason why people like you would rather live in the past than face reality.

Windows was never good until XP

>Current
>litestep
Make your mind up faggot. The fact you tried to have a pissing contest with me over XP, outed yourself over rainymeter tier tack and said zoomer and poser innumerable times kinda' shows which of us is assblasted lmfao

youtube.com/watch?v=nIoQAEBImv8

Nigger, you're using utorrent and chrome, you literally don't have a leg to stand on
>litestep
>not concurrent with xp
once again you show your whole ass, stay mad kiddo, litestep's older than you

Less bloat, more reliable, more predictable.
Modern windows is an unmaintainable disaster - consisting of framework upon library upon compatibility layer upon runtime - careening towards an inevitable violent death thanks to the gross mismanagement of development at microsoft.
Which is why they're ignoring it and focusing on azure and cloud shit.

Oh shit I remember this.

This is what that place looks like in 2017

Attached: Bliss_hill_July_2017.jpg (3264x2448, 2.75M)

Different world, really. NT-based OSes were more stable but 9x were much faster and much more lightweight. Before 2k (or maybe even NT itself, haven't worked much with it) something like 80 MB was perfectly fine for a system partition. One of the contributing factors was the huge drivers archive.

What did they mean by this?

Attached: 3DMovieMaker.jpg (1280x720, 55K)

>Other users have speculated that the image was not of a real location, that the sky came from a separate image and was spliced together with the hill. O'Rear is adamant that, other than Microsoft's minor alterations to the digitized version, he did nothing to it in a darkroom, contrasting it with Adams' Monolith:
>I didn't "create" this. I just happened to be there at the right moment and documented it. If you are Ansel Adams and you take a particular picture of Half Dome and want the light a certain way, you manipulate the light. He was famous for going into the darkroom and burning and dodging. Well, this is none of that.[12]

>Says zoomer and poser one too many times
Nah it's you faggot xD I bet you made this post too lmao. Feel free to keep acting like there's some reason to change any of what I'm doing but you know you're just a bitter 35 yr old who wants to act like he has the know on some obsolete shit. You're literally arguing with me over some crap I picked up for the sake of it, I bet you use linux lmfao. Stay assblasted about my xp if you're that bored dude!

Whoopsie I meant

>trying this hard
>so mad you can't even quote the right post
you're right about one thing, you really are fucking boring lol, i mean, you seem to think you're cool for buying a shit laptop and throwing an obsolete OS from before you were born on it

That used to give me nightmares
Also probably why I don't trust jews

>Implying I installed XP
God damn you are fucking dense lol, this is a good example of how you keep outing yourself dude. You really want this to be the fight you're looking for but you just keep making yourself out to be this assblasted manlet who has soemthing to prove about xp. You really did make didn't you though lmao

Attached: FaggotsArentPosers.png (500x281, 167K)

Oh also
>quote
Hahahahaha, ah man.. you might be going on 40 but you're still new huh?

>if i continue double posting, no one will think i'm mad!
face it kid, you lost
i wasn't going to bring this up so you could save face, but
>untitledcomfy.jpg
hahahahaha, you really expected us to like you, didn't you?
and yeah, its called quoting a post, maybe learn the culture before posting, tourist

damn Braitewaites

Yeah, Starforce and Securom were so fucking comfy, user. Yeah. Gamespy was soooo comfy. Yep. Keys keys keys. Yep yep yep. SO comfy.

Attached: 1496844025880.png (195x189, 94K)

Mplayer was comfy asf

>double posting
Also saying 'us'.. oh man the only newfag here is you. Won't you atleast admit you're a faggot who uses kys. Why don't you keep throwing in poser and zoomer dude that shit was funny atleast.

>still posting
>i'm not mad, i'm actually laughing

Attached: 1512764748014.jpg (1024x747, 298K)

>Can't clear my name cause he's right

Attached: Lmfao.gif (500x250, 999K)

>What did he mean by this?

Attached: Capture.jpg (388x123, 10K)

clear my name of what, kiddo?
it's really fucking funny that me calling you a poser led to you googling it and posting every .gif you can find about it, really autistic shit there my dude

YOUR SOUNDCARD WORKS PERFECTLY

Shitforce was at the end of the era and mostly on ruskie games. Also denuvo is sure not better in any way, shape or form.
I'll take keys over gabenscam or any other alternative, thanks.
Anything else?

>Plus!
fucking nostalgia'd

>actually bothering to do this
makes you as bad as him, although i suppose his reply will be worth it

Denuvo isn't good but at least it hasn't killed anyone's computer like starforce.

Well done lass, what about >Posted one gif and one png
I don't see you saying it anymore though lmao. What was autistic was you being assblasted over my xp :/

ok now what

Attached: temp.jpg (640x300, 50K)

Denuvo is better because Starforce literally hurt your PC.

Also, as someone who was there then, I'll absolutely take Steam over the bullshit of PC gaming back then. Conversely, video games themselves were better then.

Attached: lesscompression.png (1920x1040, 96K)

Lol I knew you'd respond to him thinking he's me, maybe look at the post numbers next time. Somehow I don't think either of us are responsible for that post that you're getting so bent out of shape about, but you can keep going. Its not really necessary to call you a poser now that you're crying samefag all the time.

Yeah, it hasn't ground any SSDs into the ground either. In other under-user's-rock news, the sky is actually yellow.

soul

soulless

you nigs love to reminisce about how comfy and aesthetically pleasing everything was back then but conveniently forget how fucking SLOW everything was, I wouldn't go back to dial-up if you held a gun to my head

>IRQ exception comfy
>comfy blue screen
>comfy pipes "calibrating" for 5 minutes before you can play the game
>comfy game corrupting video memory and fucking up anything outside the game window
>comfy game that opens 10 subwindows for menu management all over your screen
The only thing comfy about it was booting in DOS mode to actually play vidya.

Well man it's a shame that you got assblasted about my xp, don't download your games and got bullied out of using poser & zoomer lmao. Have a good one tubby oh and kys fucking lol

Now you need to search for a newer kind of spyware MS injected into your OS because I stopped updating when those got backported.

Enjoy (very slowly) running modern programs your poser laptop that you wasted $50 on, i'll enjoy my 15tb of pirated videogames on my windows 7 desktop like everyone else here. Not sure where you got those other ideas from, zoomer, but if i were you i'd take my own advice on the suicide. You're still a poser, for what it's worth, and probably a foul friendless nerd too if you're into buying ancient laptops for Yea Forums cred.

>Downloading 20+ part .rar files from the Brazilian equivalent of Geocities at sub 1kb speeds

Good times

Because Windows back then was a more bare bones operating system with very little in the way of pre-bundled malware.
Its easy to get that feeling on a modern GNU/Linux distribution by building an all AMD system, and using a low requirements no-nonsense desktop like XFCE.

>I-I know I'll start saying it a-again and he won't think am scured!
You're a fucking tosspot lol, oh I should feel bad about pirating Morrowind but you have a stockpile yeah? Lmfao I'm done, you're just too embarrassing, also have fun never having Bloodborne in that 15tb pft
>Yea Forums cred
>us
Fuck off newfag

>Also, as someone who was there then, I'll absolutely take Steam over the bullshit of PC gaming back then.
As someone who was there then, I see nothing worse in entering keys printed on a piece of paper or words from a manual over not owning fucking anything whatsoever. Also no boxes with cloth maps and shit.

>a low requirements no-nonsense desktop
I know it's only a WM but take a look at Awesome.

I thought you were done posting? still mad huh.
No one said you should feel bad about pirating morrowind, it's part of me mocking you for being a zoomer, since yknow, you should probably still have your cd of it if you're so into playing older games. There's zero point for you to be using xp, the gog version of morrowind works fine on every modern version of windows. As does the sims 2, so you can live out your fantasy of having a job, a gf and friends on an operating system that isn't horribly outdated.
>bloodborne
please, find another game
and once again, take your own advice, maybe throw your laptop in the trash where it belongs and spend a week offline to calm down
>tosspot
lol go to bed brexit faggot, did you really stay up late to get mad at me?

Run a virtual machine and install windows xp there.

>Still implying I intentionally wanted xp
Are you that fucking retarded hahaha.
>Still assblasted about not having BB
Yeah makes sense
>took this long to work out britbong
A testament to your ever slowing mind lmao

uh-huh
I haven't updated my OS since installing Win 7 Ultimate SP1 though
so I am not worried

>SP1
Good thing I remembered that "aelupsvc" is the name of the file, not the service. Now do
sc query aelookupsvc
You don't need to post the results. Just know that whenever you launch or delete an EXE file your very fucking user mode API dials home to tell something (I'm guessing the EXE's name&path, size, probably MD5, logged in user etc.).

It is awesome, but less conventional interfaces always seem to be a bit too much of a culture shock for Windows users who have never been exposed to anything else. So I usually recommend for them to try out XFCE.

Good thing cracking that stuff out was easy as fuck.

True. I started with earlier versions of MS DOS so when I chose my first real Linux-based OS to be Arch it was easy.

>securom
goddamn fuck that shit

>asking Yea Forums this
it's as old as a Gen Z first year

Attached: Zed.jpg (813x545, 110K)

So what you're saying is that you're so fucking poor you can't afford a laptop from the current decade? fucking lol. Also if you weren't trying to hide your garbage heritage, how come you write prices in dollars rather than brexitbux?
Maybe try selling your ps4 if you're so hard up for money, i mean, bloodborne is 5 years old now, try something new.
You went into this thread to brag and got dragged instead, now you're saying you didn't even want xp, fucking hell get a life you obese island monkey.

Bubble wrap?

EVERYTHING WAS GOOD WHEN YOU WERE A KID BECAUSE BEING A KID WAS AWESOME

BILLS SUCK

WORK SUCKS

RESPONSIBILITY SUCKS

WE GET IT

a jab at how sensitive the generation is, every thing must be bubble wrapped to prevent emotional damage

98SE was cool.

I bought a laptop with xp to play the games I did when I was a teenager lol. I said that because I saw how assblasted you were and realised you might need things explained in burgerbux my bad. You just want me to sell my ps4 so you're not assblasted about having 15tb of games but no BB! Dude you're the faggout who says poser, kys and zoomer if anything I dragged myself through this but at every step you did my job by outing yourself as a total spacker lmao!
>us
>Yea Forums cred

The sexual tension between you two is unbearable, just fuck and get it over with.

no kys zoomber poser

yeah a real edited photo

Go shine some shoes for pennies you victorian street urchin.
stay mad honeybun, and maybe get your story straight next time, did you want xp or not?

To think they still mod a crusty animating program from 24 years ago.

Windows 95 was bullshit.

>instead of this we got some weak bloops for startup and shut down

You know I will atleast thank you for putting the burger down and wiping some of your tit cheese off to make your assblasted posts but you are truly retarded, try to get this one around you fat little balding head that while you implied I deliberately installed xp for (hahahafuckingha) 'Yea Forums cred' I simply bought it as is. I have more hair on one centimetre of my ass cheek than you have on both your chins

You are so unbelievably mad that it's gone beyond funny and become just plain sad.
Here's the facts:
You posted a screenshot of your xp desktop expecting people to compliment you
No one did
You got very, very upset
And now all you can do is project your physical insecurities onto a 6ft4 golden god while desperately trying to come up with excuses for your abhorrently retarded posts and terrible attitude, this is, however, completely understandable for someone as inbred as yourself.
Just a little reminder that you don't need windows xp to play morrowind or the sims 2, or any games, actually. I suggest you scurry off back to pretending to have a life in the sims 2 before you humiliate yourself further.
Also, i'm not american, try harder cutiepie.

B-but I got you so fucking assblasted that you went on a zoomer-poser attempted killing spree and proceeded to embarrass yourself as hard as you could in the pursuit of Yea Forums cred but all that happened was 'us' said you're a retard.. Also I wouldn't expect you to know but Spacecolony and Cossacks are easiest ran on xp lol. The only upset person was you at my initial post and oh no I was just point out that your a 5ft nothing chode of a human being trying to figure out some reason, that there must be some solace, for having the crust from your neckbeard snow down as your chipolata fingers pound the keyboard "NO You are of poser"

shouldn't this be on for me to get kiked?

Attached: temp.jpg (424x97, 14K)

Take a chill pill you inbred cockney pickpocket.
Space colony and cossacks both have windows 7 optimized gog versions, by the way.

youtube.com/watch?v=Zx8wsb_1eYU

Delete the file (%SystemRoot%\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-a..ence-infrastructure_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_3337092d63596104\aelupsvc.dll) and then try to delete an EXE.

>Everybody forgot Windows Vista

Vista was the ME of NT.

You probably still think I installed xp myself rather than 7 but this was the cheapest option to play the most games without doing anything unnecessary sausage fingers. Stay assblasted over my first post you multi-chinned hairless subhuman

XFCE is bloated crapware, use JWM or IceWM with a skin like Trisquel's default instead.

so you ARE too poor to own a proper computer? fucking lol
i bet people throw sauce packets at you from cars while you're collecting trash from the street you platonic ideal of a virgin cuck

but why tho

Nah I just didn't to be some literal landwhale with 15tb of games and no Bloodborne lmfao. I bet when you manage to actually get your width out the door, despondent from having no Yea Forums cred, you damn near slip on the grease from your cankles :3

Ask your Lord and Master %Current_Microsoft_CEO%.

would he be upset I'm infinitely resetting the trial to not pay for a license?

Attached: 1561485964959.jpg (540x540, 31K)

You've been writing to yourself for nearly 3 hours now. I think you need to seek immediate help, you have a serious mental health condition.

As long as his company is regularly getting screenshots of your current winsta/desktop to sell to third parties he's fine.

you just spent from 11pm to 2am getting madder and madder that i made fun of your dumb fucking xp setup, maybe get a job honey

this is the first time I'm hearing of non-updated w7 doing this shit
you got a source, lad?

fuck off faggot cuck, i've got 30 mins more at work and this kid is an entertaining distraction

>Implying you weren't the one getting assblasted in the first place
You're a literal lolcow getting rinsed like fuck please carry on haha, oh and I hope you still think some 13 yr old is milking you like fuck because that would be even better!

DOS, 3.1, and XP are soul
the default windows 7 is soul
and windows 10 is the most grey and clunky piece of shit i have ever seen, and microsoft's sticking to it

>non-updated
>SP1
Wew.

>source
I got anons posting screencaps of their desktops that they never made but found OTI. That's as much as you're getting without actually finding one yourself (if their security is lax enough still) or sifting through megatons of shit with wireshark or somesuch. But isn't a "stopped" service controlling what you do and sending data of what you do make you suspicious? Oh, wait, you're complacent because "you're not some kind of terrorist or something", you have nothing to hide, after all.

its pretty obvious that i'm talking to an unemployed adult virgin who is incredibly insecure about his receding hairline and weight issues but also completely incapable of doing anything about his situation, so he immerses himself in the games of his childhood in an attempt to recapture a feeling that isn't just pure, unadulterated self loathing
i mean, otherwise you wouldn't be arguing with a bored office drone at 2 in the fucking morning

Both of your "characters" have the exact same writing style you buffoon.

>Windows 95 and 98 let you have animated wallpapers by default
>now you have to install russian spyware shit to do it in modern versions of windows or buy the app from the Windows Store
>changing the start-up and shutdown pictures in Win95/98 was as simple as opening a file in MSPaint and editing it.
>everyone had custom sounds on their system back in the day
>now you cant even change the start-up sound without installing russian spyware to bypass it

I miss it guys. It was its way to say 'goodbye'

hey faggot i'm bored of you i'm going to focus on this virgin now
tell me about me, why do i wear the mask?

Windows XP was based, still use it on my pre-2010 gaming machine

youtube.com/watch?v=m2e4W8-Paqk
youtube.com/watch?v=RcgahfzMlmw

Attached: 1515625124027.png (599x388, 248K)

Yeah you right, 2am I'm not working so I must be unemployed lmfao, this is exactly what I mean, you have said so much shit I could have pulled you up on that doesn't make any fucking sense. I take your thanks I went so easy on you but you've clearly been milked for all you worth as (you) are begging me to stop. Oh and by your logic your a cockney street urchin who shines shoes and cleans the streets. I really adore your attempts fat ass but nothing was as funny as the classic getting vexed at my xp setup and not having a physical copy of morrowind you literal sperg. I hope you enjoy nursing that hairline while you work in a shitty little office to afford 15tb of Bloodborneless games lmao, hey atleast you more or less get to do the same thing you do in your free time right? Sitting that fat ass infront of a fucking computer screen, jesus...

Windows ME sure as hell wasn't soul.

Attached: Windows_9X_BSOD.png (640x400, 2K)

>so much comfier for gaming?
you do remember that when a game froze the entire computer did and you had to manually reboot? i forget if it was XP or 7 but once the "XYZ has encountered a program and must close" shit became available it was so much more forgiving when shit games crashed

They also slowed USB polling rate iirc

Run Fallout (the first one) on bare 7, fiddle with some shit (either options menu or alt-tab/super) and we'll see you after you have to hard reset your PC.

USB polling rate was 125hz as standard on XP, I used to use a small piece of software to clock it to 1000hz (now usually included in mouse software). Before XP mouse & keyboard were not USB native and used PS/2 connectors.

Win 98SE came with native USB support.

It absolutely did not, you can't even plug a USB stick into a 98SE computer without drivers installed. Native USB mouse and keyboard (and all things USB) did not turn up until XP.

The future is now.

Attached: 1385641331132.jpg (1600x1200, 1.06M)

The bridge is painfully obviously misaligned (turned by about 8 degrees) compared to the rest of the hull.

I used USB way before installing xp. Yes you needed drivers, but installing those were routine in those days. Iirc my intellimouse was my first USB device.

PC games back then were actually made for the PC, and not just console ports.

>Yes you needed drivers
Thus not native support. There was a third-party driver eventually released (NUSB, Maximus-Decim Native USB Driver) but invariably you could not use USB hardware without drivers in 98SE. XP was the first MS OS which had uPnP and generic USB drivers included out of the box.