How can you make a turn based rpg that's actually challenging and not just grindy?

How can you make a turn based rpg that's actually challenging and not just grindy?

Attached: 20190722_164154.jpg (184x182, 21K)

Attached: NiggerSmell.gif (315x174, 1.39M)

make every fight seems like solving an enigma

Srpg

play FFT and find out

simple force the player to make tactical decisions that have meaningful consequences. Harder to do if you don't have a battle grid of some sort but still possible.
Also properly balance combat so you aren't fighting tons of trash mobs all the time. Just make grinding optional for the players who really enjoy it.
>not just grindy?
Theoretically you can remove the XP/leveling mechanic but generally most players are fine with just playing along without grinding even when progression is present.

Attached: velius.png (512x480, 43K)

>FFT
>Challenging
>When it literally drowns you in 100% accuracy, evasion ignoring, status effecting, high-damage, 0 cost special move using uniques

Why do i always have to go to pol to get webs of hot babes?

How would you go about it with out making battles tedious ?

>add positional and tactical elements so the arena is part of the fight
>add mechanics beyond "hit the boss until it dies" such as dealing with adds, moving out of the area of enemy attacks, or using different attacks to build up combos on an enemy
Basically make an action RPG, but have it play like a turn based one.

not too much, though. Puzzles are for puzzle games. Combat should have an "action-reaction" dynamic. In a good turn-based game, you should go into a battle with a plan, but then you should be forced to make decisions on the fly as not everything will go as planned.
That's how turn-based combat winds up different from a puzzle.

nice filename
back to /pol/ you go

You don't have those characters in the early chapters.

How can you make a rpg that's actually challenging and not just grindy?

>Muh /pol/
Cmon user, nigger disgust is universal.

Ditch IGOUGO TB combat.It is horrible and beyond repair..

Go with a six second turn where you issue orders to your team and the game determines the outcome.

play Advance Wars on normal or Advance Wars 2 on hard

Why does that look like a puckered nigger anus?

You get aggrias almost immediately after 0 hard fights and can proceed to use her to stomp the game.

Stop playing japanese garbage.
Check out Open Xcom, Jagged Alliance 2, TtoEE and DivOS 1&2.
You also have several great real time with pause games like 7'62 High Calibre, CoC or Supreme Commander.

based
cringe

I like turn based combat
I'm sorry I'm a weeb I like story in my games I like anime I like big dumb swords belts zippers over designed characters and all that

No random encounters. You can see them on the map and you have to think about how to dodge the encounter, else you have only yourself to blame

But there can still be randomness in a "puzzle-battle" that can add the bit of action you're talking about

Maybe in your incel world

Heal after every battle, abilities tied yo story progress instead of leveling. That way you always know what the player is capable of and even trash mobs can be life or death puzzle battles.

I should probably actually play that at some point

You mean Europe? Yes we hate niggers

Yeah, even niggers hate other niggers. Just look at Africa.

Attached: 1561143713944.png (800x840, 117K)

SMT

Underrail
Best RPG mechanics to come out in a long LONG time.

imagine those DSLs on your dick

Imagine those wrapping around your cock

>shit colored lipstick

Why?! Even as a brown person, what the fuck?

This sounds like a nice

this. Associating with darkies in Germany is a sign of the lower class.

I like how they all have bad posture.

Cute, babbys first SRPG

Attached: 1431725351370.jpg (684x474, 82K)

I agree it's really cool but once you beat an enemies once you always know what to do next time and that gets kinda boring
I'll admit I have only played persona what would you say the best smt game is?

Puzzles and problem solving are a fundamental aspect of rpgs, if you don't want puzzles stick to bing bing wahoo

Niggers really are disgusting.

You can't. Turn based removes most flexibility in strategy. "RPG" (stats and level ups and shit) removes the rest of it as it simply becomes a highest number wins game.
You're going to very quickly find a routine that works for 99% of fights, and the other 1% will only be because the enemy has some bullshit attack that requires you to do a specific action to counter it - a prompt, not strategy. Pulling some shit like low accuracy chances just makes it random so all players will do is restrict themselves further to things that are more consistent and reliable.

Cutting out the RPG aspect of it (or at least flattening any sort of number scaling by a lot) however can ensure there is some challenge to encounters as you can no longer literally outnumber them after a level up or two.
But that alone would not do away with the problem of just finding some routine that works against each particular enemy. Some form of synergistic party system for the enemies to basically cover one another's individual weaknesses could lead to more fights requiring you to probe and find the ideal weakpoint to hit first, but it would just be more permutations that then become routine after the first time you fight that group. Most could still be won by simple attrition.

Even the simplest action games have more challenge than nearly all turn based RPGs.

Play Chrono Cross to find out

/pol/ is Yea Forums, tranny.

Idea*
>No random encounters
A lot of games have this now but it doesnt really change much

t. Election Newfag

go back

>no strategic inventory / hp / mp management
>press forward to win simulator
You've just created the perfect formula for an rpg every based girl gaymer zoomer can really sink their teeth into.

Is buying a bunch of potions really strategy though?

which is why chess is the easiest game in the world and victory is basicaly a coin toss

Etrian Odyssey already did it
Temple of Elemental Evil is piss easy faggot

But how many have them with really tedious thinking battles ?

even whites hate other whites
just look at ww1 and ww2

Only thing I can think of is to make a game into a story RPG and make every battle count/mean-something where encounters require a lot of strategy and planning and every time you think about engaging something you have to decide whether it's a good idea to initiate it or talk your way out of it.

Isn't this what Torment:Numenera was supposed to be? I don't know since I never played it.

How would you handle stats though since their would most likely still be level ups meaning you could still just over level to beat enemies?

enemies are limited
dang that was hard

Banner Saga

They already did, it's called "Divinity: Original Sin 2"

Remove the grind element

Genius

Attached: 1446226384343.jpg (337x372, 23K)

You limit the grinding.
Most RPGs have enough mechanics to be fun and challenging but dumb players will just grind at the first loss instead of playing like the game intended you to.

Thoughts on mario and Luigi style gameplay?

>but once you beat an enemies once you always know what to do next time
There are alpha variants but that's entirely the point.
Approaching most enemies callously will still get your shit kicked in regardless of your level.

try nocturne

>I'm sorry I'm a weeb I like story in my games
Perfectly fine and understable, but then why did you just ask for a challenge?
Anyway, there is this pretty fucking good Jrpg for the SNES, I think it was called Energy Breaker or something, oh and Front Mission series.

>Shitting over ToEE while praising a jap slot machine
Go figure.
But, anyway, anyone who actually played the game knows you are bullshiting, and anyone who haven't can just pirate and see by themselves, why do you waste time in such a basic bait, man?

UH

Attached: tom.png (600x650, 12K)

>Perfectly fine and understable, but then why did you just ask for a challenge?
I just wanna talk about a hypothetical game I'm not exactly asking for a game to play

It's just a turn based rpg by definition but you can just skip everything that makes the genre interesting by being skilled. You can just finish the game in one shot without managing anything

What's a fun way to prevent grinding? Because using end game skills on trash mobs is always fun

t. Redditard.

I got tired of having to time every attack after awhile. The fact that they went with this system in the new south park games came off as really tryhard to me too.

Interesting personally I thought it made battles a bit more engaging
Good point

>no healing mid-battle
>positioning matters

either one makes the average jrpg much harder but would require competent devs and actual balancing

I don't know about fun but...
>EXP scaling by level difference
>enemies waste your resources easily
>fixed number of enemies
>level cap per chapter
>lv-based attacks that punish higher levels with OHKOs or other annoying effects

Only if it's like FF Tactics.

what are the last two games by larian:
Seriously those games have no respawning NPCs and both have a harder difficulty mode that overhauls the encoutners to make em more into puzzles.

I bet theres far more games out there like that, just dont play Japanese RPGs, the japanese are still asian and asians love the grind.

also i can recommend WIzardry 8, not turn based in the "tactical " sense, but its a turn based blobber RPG in which, if you overlevel, tend to get screwed by the difficulty.

Yeah, but then it becomes more of a puzzle game

I too thought it was a meme

make it like ol Shin Megami Tensei.

Attached: Shin Megami Tensei-190721-001916.png (1440x1080, 19K)

I dont really like their games aesthetics but I'll look into it

>whites
no one thought of everyone in europe as "whites" back then
everyone thought of themselves as their own nationality/ethnicity

>will never get to fuck those lips
WHY

Make you be at a constant disadvantage against enemies. Do like legend of dragoon where only bosses give meaningful XP
Have equipment akin to FF9 that has more to it than just +stats like how damn near every item has some kind of elemental/status affinity
Id say making it hard turn based instead of ATB to more finely tune bosses but im not 100% of that since chaotic ATB fights can be fun

Druidstone kinda does this.
I don't like it very much because it seems like there's only one way to "solve" each encounter so it feels kinda bad.

All SRPGs and SMT are the only good turn based ones.

Also post more lips

Attached: hilde.jpg (500x440, 88K)

>+stats like how damn near every item has some kind of elemental/status affinity
Doesn't that still turn into one optimal way of doing things?