Want to save your game? Just buy this thing for like 30 bucks ehehehehe

>Want to save your game? Just buy this thing for like 30 bucks ehehehehe

How did they get away with this?

Attached: PS1_Original_1MB_Memory_Card.jpg (300x300, 8K)

Because you're a retard, I bought mine for less than 5€, don't remember how big the ps1 card was but the ps2 one was 16mb

Did the PlayStation not come with one? I don't remember

Other companies being incompetent and discs being better for storage despite memory cards being required

based retard, i remember buying a 64mb card for 10 euros

Adjust for inflation

You're a retard.

Somehow I miss the era of memory cards.

Attached: 1563507881925.jpg (400x300, 24K)

Everything about that system was retarded

>could easily swap saves with friends
>could bring the game and the saves to your friend's house
millennials actually had friends

>bring the game and the saves
Yeah so exactly what a cart would do
The difference is that you have more things you need to bring

but a cart can't store 700mb of data and you can't copy saves to another cart

>you have more things you need to bring
most Ps2 games had a special card place

Where they really $30? My parents put up with a lot of my shit

kids didn't have smartphones in their hands all of the time so they could, you know, use both hands to hold things

In theory, you could do that
I'm not saying the era before that was great, but it seems like DVDs could have been skipped if companies held out for SD cards
They were $18 or 19 then, so around $32 now

If you weren't such a fucking zoomer you'd know that accessible writeable media back then was limited to basically floppy disks. This was still legit with the PS2 and the PSP. Then they tried this shit again with the Vita and it flopped because by then writeable portable media was available in all shapes and sizes.

>tfw when you excitedly rent a Playstation and Resident Evil from Hastings for the weekend and then you have to try to play through it without a memory card

Flash memory was expensive as shit back then.

Heck the Saturn memory cart used battery backup

>had a shitty third party memory card
>it wiped taking my GT with A-internation licence with it

I spent so fucking long going that last test... Perfect lap on the hardest course in the game with the fastest, hardest to control RW drive car in the game.

>pc-engine cd, released in 1987, had internal storage and did not require you to buy a memory card to save your game
>the sega cd, released in 1991, had internal storage and did not require you to buy a memory card to save your game
>the playstation, released in 1995, did not have internal storage and required you to buy a memory card to save your game

Defend this.

They used battery backups and the batteries died and are a pain to replace.

dobson pls

So then why didn't nintendo use memory cards instead of save batteries in the n64 carts?

so they could sell you the controller accesories

Consoletards pay for everything. They're pay an extra monthly fee to play online right now as we speak.

Attached: 1483451654815.png (209x214, 3K)

Saturn memory cart is flash
But Saturn has some internal save storage that uses a battery

The lack of flash memory in the console itself probably reduced the cost of manufacturing. Plus not having saves locked to a single console is a good thing.

>Want to save your game on a USB drive?
>Not possible.
>Instead pay 60 bucks to back up a few kilobytes.
>Per month.

How DO they get away with this shit?

>save your saved games inside the console
>that's a brilliant idea
>console hardware never dies

oh, you wan transfer between the same system?

Between games made only, say a few years apart?
It has been possible to do that for over a decade you say?

no, you pay us 5 dollar a year we are so based we would never charge for dlc we are the heros fuck you gajin pig.
Two nukes were not enough. I'd rather pay for a memory card than cloud storage. At least I can shove a fucking memory card up my own ass.

Attached: japkikes.png (293x172, 11K)

1. There were N64 memory cards.
2. N64 games were anywhere between $20 and $30 more expensive than PS1 games.

At least the Sony memory cards had their capacities in standard form like megabytes instead of Nintendos "Blocks" or "Pages". 2048 blocks sounds so much better than 128mb to the average consumer.

pc engine uses this rechargeable capacitor thing that doesn't need batteries but you have to turn the system on at least once every two weeks or so or it may lose the data

Consoles have piss poor memory storage, games are poorly optimized and use huge chunks of data.
I had to buy an external disk just to keep my console playable, since it couldn't even update.

I think they are slowly returning.

If your console bricks then you have a bigger problem than losing save data.

>This was still legit with the PS2 and the PSP.
The original xbox had a hard drive.

>N64 games were anywhere between $20 and $30 more expensive than PS1 games.
But you said the problem with save batteries is that they would die.

How many memory cards did you have by the end of the PS1's run? I had 5. Later games started taking up way too many blocks

>want to take your game to your friend's house
>have to lug your console with you

Og xbox was also $100+ more in some markets and was an absolute monster in terms of spec

>Yeah so exactly what a cart would do
>CARTS
>Nintendie can't hold his autism enough to not out himself

Attached: Shenmue_20190520193834.png (1920x1080, 2.09M)

No. At least not at first. Maybe later there were bundle packages.

hard drives were massive and its not like you could save on CDs. So yes ofc they had to sell it seperatly.
Pretty much every console before PS3 era did this except for Xbox which was a heavy big block for a reason. Hard drives were expensive and huge while having almost no storage capability.

>but muh mem card is small, surely they could fit an internal memory right? wrong then you'd be stuck with like 1Mb (15 blocks) and you couldnt store more than that.
also the ability to share save files with your friends

and neither did PS2
you prbably dont remember because youre a zoomer

Both plus unable to play dem DVDs without remocon

Attached: 3e1de8027e48971a9502be59b1adcc51.jpg (728x800, 56K)

Memory cards were great. You could easily take your save game to friends house either to continue it there or play multiplayer with everything unlocked.

Has anybody tried to use "cloud saves" (that basedknee charges yearly for instead of a one off memory card that still works 15 years later wow things are so much better now) at a friends house. You can get it eventually but its a pain the ass.

OG xbox aesthetic was so great.

>Parents got us a playstation.
>None of us new what a memory card was.
>get INSANELY good at Oddworld and Parappa's first few levels just so we could see the rest of the game.