I've got a question for ye, which does more damage?

I've got a question for ye, which does more damage?

Attached: DPS.jpg (930x590, 50K)

The sword, because steel is heavier than feathers.

My knob

Attached: 1537477113694.jpg (1440x1080, 117K)

Well I can only hold 2 knives, so the sword.

my cock

*blocks your path with Armor of Damage Taken Reduced by 1*

>enemy has 2 defense
>you now deal 0 damage

Dual wield feather knife, as retarded as this image, thread, AND OP are

Also, saged.
- Dave

The sword if you're fighting one guy.
The knives if you’re fighting a 1000 guys and can attack them at once.

Steel sword has better durability and therefore does more total damage

implying your wussy arms could even carry a steel sword, stick to the feather, featherweight

Only if the 1000 guys all have 1 HP. If they have 2 HP or more the sword is better.

The sword, because steel does more damage than feathers.

Are you retarded? The sword still needs a full second per person whether their HP is 1 or 999. The sword is only better in a single target scenario where the enemy has less than 1000 HP, Knife is better at everything else.

The sword, you can't hold 1000 knives at the same time.

>swing sword
>miss
>0 DPS

>throw knives
>miss
>999 DPS

>swing sword
>don't crit
>1000 DPS

>throw knives
>some of them crit, some don't
>1200 DPS

They do equal damage because there are no rules stated beside damage.

If they have 2 HP you need to throw two thousand knives, but still only need to swing the big sword a thousand times.

add your STR bonus to each knife and they come out on top easily

2x STR would mean each hit does 2 damage, still nullified by most armor

I stun lock my enemies like a holiday punch heavy.

throwing knives are a DEX weapon
throwing knives harder does little, throwing knives into the right spots would deal more damage

>enchant knives with an element enemy is weak to, higher crit chance, or a % chance to inflict status effect
>throw 1000, all with bonus damage or guaranteed status effect + range advantage assuming you're throwing them

they're clearly dex weapons

This

What games even let your attacks do 0 damage? The knives wouldn't get reduced by armour because games always let you deal at least 1 damage.

throwing them harder means everything, see: guns

That's two seconds vs 1000 seconds retard

>Sword crits
>2000 dps.

Having 1000 knives doesn't increase your crit rate throughout a fight. If you had 25% crit rate and fought for 10 minutes, both weapon sets will have what's close to 25% crit rate.

swords are only like 3-4 pounds

oh yeah I meant if they had 1000 hp I guess

Any faggot that brings up crit chance or miss chance? Have fun being engaged in the fight 100x longer than me. You dps is slower, so eat shit.

Your crit rate obviously doesn't increase but the number of crits you would do would increase as the number of hits increases

A thousand feather knives weighs more than a steel sword.

>You dps is slower
???

I rather have one sword than 1000 junk items. 1000 feathers are not enough to buy metal sword anyways

tons of games allow for zero damage. in fact, i'd wager more games process zero damage hits instead of one damage hits as the bare minimum

maybe big longswords, a 1h sword like the one in op is maybe 2lbs

"1 dps"
That's one damage per second, it's not stated that you can throw all the knives at once. Furthermore, it looks like the 1000 is just ammo for the weapon.
How many knives can you throw? And if you respond with more than one, how many of these would hit a target more than 2 meters away? Would be good if you were swarmed with 1-2 hp guys but get real.
Sword is the better choice.

Attached: 1546537641525.png (236x359, 92K)

Knives have 1000x more chances to crit, you will have much more consistent damage. Sword might come out on top sometimes when you're lucky but most of the time it won't.

But thea both a killagrahm

adding to that, with the sword each miss is a loss of 1000 DPS while with the knives you're only losing 1 DPS

kek
depends. If my faggot oponent has more than 1 Defense then knives are fucked

The knives also bypass essentially all armor and defense stats, assuming the game is coded so that the minimum damage value of a successful attack is 1. This is why 10,000 needles is such a savage attack in the FF games, it does 10,000 1-hp attacks, meaning enemy defense scaling doesn’t do shit to mitigate it.

According to Sun Tzu, the greatest DSP is the one that causes more damage in less seconds. Throwing 1000 feather knives and retreating will take at least 3 hours While a single blow from the sword can cause much more damage in a single blow

DSP is indeed the greatest but this is not the right thread to say it

I remember in Dark Souls 2 everyone thought the caestus was a joke weapon. It always caught people off guard when I dual wielded them, one with poison and other with bleed and stun locked people in place since each hit takes up so little stamina, your armor or shield isn't going to save you. I would go with the knives for sure.

Consistently depends on the length of the fight, both will reach very close to 25% in a 10 minute fight assuming that they attack each second.
This isn't a fair calculation, if the miss chance is 1% on average you're going to be missing 10 daggers. Miss % follows the same formula as crit. After a certain period, both will lose equally the same amount of DPS because they missed equally in terms of damage.

If it's a 10% chance to miss and you attack 100 times with each weapon, 10'000 feather knives will miss, 10 steel swords will miss. That's the exact same damage.

>Sun Tzu likes DSP.
Nice.

It never works out perfect like that though. Flip a coin 100 times and you're not going to get exactly 50 heads and 50 tails.

no, it says DPS
DPS means damage per second, therefore the sword does 1000 damage per second, while the knife only does 1 damage per second.

stfu faggot and go back to your tranny website, DSP is all that it matters unless you are a weak pussy bitch coward redditor who hides behind woman skirts.

That assumes a 10 minute fight, but the reality is it’s probably not going to be that in most cases. The vast majority of RPG fights are over in a few turns.

t. detractor

Why do you think it specifies that there are 1000 knives? It's pretty clear that it means you're throwing 1000 with each doing 1 DPS for a total of 1000 DPS.

If the game has any sort of evasion system (assuming a simple %chance to completely evade attacks here) then the dagger is a slightly better option since it will be more consistent. Imagine swinging the sword while the enemy has one hit left and missing. That sort of situation basically doesn't matter with the dagger.
If the game has some sort of armor system, then the sword has the potential to be a LOT better based on how armor mitigates damage. If it's just a flat %reduction, then the above still applies. If it's some sort of flat damage reduction per hit or a complicated formula that twines between those two options, the sword is the obvious choice by a wide margin. The same goes for if the game has some sort of stun/staggering system that favors heavy hits.

1000 is the total amount you have
enjoy doing 1dps for a limited times while I do a thousand forever ahahahahah

Perfectly no, no one said anything about it being spot on but it'll be as close as possible to that number given attempts and time.
Flip 10 coins and you'll likely to see 6/4, flip 100 coins and you'll very, very rarely see 60/40, flip 1000 coins and you'll likely never see 600/400.
Agree but to a point
It's why people argue and the OP didn't deliver context because people have different ideas on how it works,
Some games don't have evasion systems, some games are over in one shot, have damage type, linear def calculations. If the fight is over in a few turns then sometimes the steel sword will win and sometimes the feather will win based on rng and whatever in your mind the rpg system works.

Enjoy only getting to swing the sword once then since apparently weapons can't be reused. Better hope you don't miss.

>swordfags need the fight to last 10 hours just to hopefully do the same amount of damage as daggerchads

>he read that as advocating 1000dps vs 1000dps.
Dilate.

The general argument with the knives is that you have 1000x as many rolls for any RNG-based thing, so it gives a much MORE accurate representation of the stat.

In 3 turns, with a 1% miss rate, it’s not especially unlikely that the sword would miss twice in a row, doing 1,000 damage in 3 turns. Not because this is truly representative of the average, but precisely BECAUSE the sample size is so small.

But for the knives, in 3 turns, you have 3000 rolls, and the odds of 2000 of those rolls failing the 1% check, while strictly >0, are so small as to be fucking ludicrous. The knives are a more consistent weapon, which is the argument.

Take the feather knife and add buffs, far more effective with the multiplier than having it be a base 1000. Imagine if I was able to increase it to a measly 25.

Depends on how armour works in this scenario.
If 1 armour = 1 less damage, then the Steel Sword will deal 999 damage per swing, whilst the Feather Knife will deal 0.

If there exist mechanics that boost the attack damage of the weapon by let's say +5 damage, then the Steel Sword will deal 1005 damage per swing, whilst the Feather Knife will deal 6 x1000, making it far superior.

On paper there is no difference between these two weapons since, mathematically, they deal the exact same damage in a vacuum; what matters is the mechanics beyond the weapons.

>enemy has 50% damage resistance
>shitty sword now only deals 500 damage
>based knives still deal 1 damage each because only integers in damage calculations
knife wins every time

>he thinks it's truly 1000 DPS VS 1000 DPS
you outed yourself as a brainlet

but steels heavier than feathers

Even if daggers deal 0 damage they can still be ridiculously useful if they stagger enemies or if you can apply status effects

What RPGs can you think of that use additive rather than multiplicative stat scaling?

The closest I can think of are rounding errors, but these also come out in the dagger’s favor about half the time. With a 25% damage buff, the sword does 1250; if there are no floats in the damage scaling, the daggers still do 1000... but with 1 decimal point of precision, they do 1300, since the per-dagger damage is upped to 1.3 (rounded from 1.25). Similarly, with a 50% damage buff, the sword gets 1500, but with a no-float damage system the knives get rounded up to 2000, effectively getting a free 100% buff.

If the target has 1 armor the feather deals zero damage a thousand times.

What kind of RPGS are you people playing where enemy armor reduces damage like that? Don't most games just give them more health?

>he uses his owned biased formula to dictate which is better
>dares to use brainlet in his vocab without seeing the irony.
It's fine user, I can do the same and use to make the daggers do 0 damage, or use very high evasion to make it so that the daggers are more consistent. But here you are weaponfaggin.

>No RPG game where you can tickle your enemies

Depends on how armor is calculated, but it's most likely the sword.

Haha you fool the feather bends and never breaks. The sword never bends but sometimes breaks.

Breath of the Wild

>he hasn't played an RPG with flat armor reduction
XCOM comes to mind.

The sword because of the increased range meaning less misses and less time needed to close the distance

depends on how damage is calculated
can a weapon deal less than 1 damage after damage resistance has been calculated?
if not then the feather knife will always deal 1000 damage whereas the sword will be mitigated by resistances.

anyways, OP is retarded

have you played, like, one game in total?
>Don't most games just give them more health?
no.

A bent feather doesn't do any damage
You have a 100% miss rate against any class of armor

>1 damage per second
so you hit the guy once and you wait a 1000 seconds until the full damage hits?

the sword

The sword if melee can bodyblock each other.

>Enchant knife to do a special effect everytime it hits something
>It now does the enchantment 1000 times per hit

Having 1000 copies of a 1dps piece of shit will only work out if you are gaming fable-tier economies, are arming a peasant militia, powerleveling enchanting or have undisclosed abilities that scale inversely with quality.
If one assumes that the image was posted with errors, then the choice becomes an obvious MACE or POLEARM. Swords and knives are the purview of shitters.

Oblivion at high levels.

Based and becpilled

Attached: bec-de-corbin.jpg (834x537, 88K)

There's no system in which the stated "stats" in OP's image can be taken at face value. "1 DPS" times a thousand can only mean "1000 DPS", outside of alien contexts that are undefined.

The OP is likely grasping for which item has the combat advantage. Taking the stats at face value, there is a missing piece of infomation, which is timing.

Say the knife deals 1000 1 damage hits in the time it takes for the sword to wind up and deliver a single 1 1000 damage hit. This means the knife gets stuck in making 999 1 damage hits for the duration of the sword's mere 0 damage wind up. The knife therefore has a significant and mounting advantage for the entire duration right up until the moment the sword connects, at which point the two are even stevens. The cycle will then repeat itself until the combat ends. So the knife has an advantage against any enemy which has an HP value different from a perfect multiple of 1000, as it will finish it off with some number of small 1 damage blows before the sword winds up a full strength 1000. And since there are no situations where the sword has the advantage, the knife is the superior weapon.

Now suppose instead that the sword and the knife strike instantly, the sword dealing 1000 damage and the knife 1. The sword then has a windback to ready for the next blow while the knife gets stuck in making a further 999 1 damage blows. In this instance the advantage is perfectly reversed as the situation is perfectly inverse, as the sword can instantly kill many enemies much faster than the knife.

Suppose instead that the sword has a windup AND a wind-down equal to the time needed to make 500 knifeblows. Then the sword and the knife would be advantageous depending on the exact fraction of the enemy's health. If the enemy's health rounds down to the nearest 1000, the knife is the best option, and if it rounds up or is already a 1000 multiple then the sword is the best option.

And finally, imagine that the combat system is entirely turn-based

and there is no meaningful distinction between a single 1000 damage blow and 1000 1 damage blows. Then the two items are identical.

One can go into further conjectures about linear damage modifiers, such as those characteristic of the Paper Mario series, where multiple-blow and single-blow attacks are distinguished by their receptivity to bonuses and vulnerability to penalties. But this conjecture is outside the realms of the given system presented at face value in the OP.

Attached: 1531198189173.jpg (193x256, 26K)

Those are lucerne hammers

why do you ask these questions when we don't know the mechanics of the game they're in

Dragon Quest for starters. Metal Slimes take 0-1 damage per hit because they have maxed out defemse.

>Enemy armor reduces every hit by 1 point
GGEZ

Man, I was a beast with that sword. Once you maxed out heads you were a god of swiftly delivered death.
Haven't played for years, though. Bout to cash my backpack out for a few hundred.

Assuming defense is part of the equation as well as the ability to USE these weapons, the steel sword
But if you can instantaneously use them, then both combined because steel feathers would clearly be an upgrade

Do you know how swords work or are you the sword equivalent of a shooter „gun expert“?

I also got ultra beast mode at the LnL to the point scouts were just free kills.
My LnL was "Pill Suppository" and my sword "Give Me Head" if anyone every played with me by chance.

It says 1 dps even though there's a thousand feather knives, so obviously sword is the winner here

DPS absolutely can be taken at face value. It is damage per second. It would need to say 1000dps and have a strikes per second to detail its abnormality.
In RAW it is a 1 dps piece of shit with 999 duplicates.

Stupid, no-one said that DPS can't be taken at face value. Read before you post.