Dear Game Developers

Stop making sprite games. No one cares about this shit besides old ass boomers that grew up with a genesis/snes. Sprite games look ugly, old and outdated, and can never have engaging characters and stories like modern games. It's also way too time consuming, 3d models are easier to use, and with unreal engine 4 being so easy to use, there's no excuse to not use 3d modeling.

Signed, Gamers of the New Age

Attached: Gunvotl-Chornciles-19.png (1920x1080, 2.57M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cWb8L6IqZBA
youtu.be/3PNuE7N-prM?t=84
homph.com/steam/
youtu.be/51Pqv1_L4hQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DEhwtTK4U8M
youtu.be/Fgnsmb6ydeI
youtube.com/watch?v=khpA1l_Tb8k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cringe.
i'm not even going to give a (you).

Dear game developers

Stop making games.
Fuck vidya, shit sucks.

Signed, Yea Forums

Attached: 1562438847569.gif (410x499, 540K)

Sprites are basically a leftover of the great indie age of early 2010s. They are used today because sprites are still far easier and less costly to implement and make pretty than 3D models. That's why games used to be so much easier and cheaper to make.

It doesn't even look as good as old genisis/snes games.

sounds like something a shitty ADEPT would say

Attached: Copen_(ASG2).png (1738x3007, 1.56M)

Counterpoint: I do what I want and you keep playing Fortnite.

>Sprites are basically a leftover of the great indie age of early 2010s. They are used today because sprites are still far easier and less costly to implement and make pretty than 3D models. That's why games used to be so much easier and cheaper to make.

Wrong. SNK went bankrupt trying to do sprites. KoF 12 and 13 destroyed them, and caused them to get bought out by the Chinese.

Oh really?

Attached: Blazing Chrome.jpg (1920x1080, 795K)

Sprite games make millions

Your opinion therefore sucks

soulless
soul

Your right.

You already made this thread nigger.

Bloodstained is still fucking ugly. 3D was a mistake.

actually,the old genesis/snes looks worse :)

name a sprite game that made millions and isn't shovel knight

Bloodstained looks better than any other igavania game, including sotn.

mario.

SNK went bankrupt because they made a 700 dollar console that nobody bought.

You don't actually believe that.

baseado e vermelho pileado

Sprite games can be really good but most indie devs are trying too hard to tell a story or just have no good ideas. Fact of the matter is that 99% of them aren't worth shit but because of Steam we have forgotten that all of the shit that they push isn't even good enough for newgrounds and would end up in some jank flash game site 15 years ago.

Attached: snes9x_2019_06_28_17_00_41_493.jpg (1013x886, 237K)

Mario isn't sprites anymore, lmfao

Undertale, Terraria, Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon, Hyper Light Drifter, Fez, Towerfall, Celeste, Starbound, Dead cells... do I have to go on?

Fucking nigger?

I don't understand why some people display old games in high res when it looks worse than low res.

Blazing Chrome looks better, Alien Wars looks pretty damn good still

Kill yourself OP

... Enter the Gungeon, Binding of Isaac, Crypt of the Necrodancer.

All of those look like dogshit.

>sprites are ba-
youtube.com/watch?v=cWb8L6IqZBA

Attached: 1491373395548.jpg (640x480, 15K)

Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge looks better and has way way better gameplay. Now what? This game should have come out on the snes lmao

Attached: 1548460391090.gif (652x562, 626K)

>cool guy ninja platformer 178: return of the boomer
ok

>sprite game with high res hud and effects
>background very clearly drawn at a higher resolution and scaled down
gross

Dear Op,

Stop breathing.

I like sprite games though.

I agree, handrawn is the best

Attached: agree.jpg (1400x2362, 254K)

Well isn’t just great to have something in common then?

Fucking nigger?

bottom looks hideous

just grabbed first screenshot i saw, its Salt and Sanctuary pretty good game though

SOUL

>Signed, Gamers of the New Age

Attached: wee_ones.jpg (400x600, 82K)

Gunvolt looks like shit, and it's weeaboo garbage, all the bosses are bad anime cliches

Attached: jnco-kid.jpg (463x480, 24K)

I don't care about the gamers of the new age, I make games that I want to play

t. boomer

You were wrong and BTFO 5 years ago about this and you're still wrong today. Give it a rest.

>No one cares
You very clearly do or you wouldn't be getting so worked up about it.
The word you're looking for it wants, not cares.
Which would also suck, cause I like pixelshit. Not as much as hand-drawn, genuine pixel art, or 3D, but pixelshit is fine.

>They are used today because sprites are still far easier and less costly to implement and make pretty than 3D models.
Seriously? I though sprites were difficult as fuck to do.

FTL, into the breach, wargroove

He's probably some loser who tried to make it during the indie boom, failed, and is now asscrushed about it and pitching a fit.

I'm making a sprite game right now.

Try and stop me, nerd.

Attached: 1541552818703.jpg (512x512, 45K)

Attached: 1546111473705.png (769x733, 34K)

Compromise: Indie games keep using pixel art, but bigger budgeted studios use fully drawn stuff like Odin Sphere. Playing it right now, and loving it.

Attached: 81IHMr0jnrL.jpg (1920x1080, 302K)

Disliking pixel art is like the number one indicator of underage.

Same here. Have an artist but hes shit. Atleast the gameplay is working and fun

You better care if you want to be successful

Good quality sprites, even medium quality sprites, even LOW quality sprites that have dozens and dozens of frames of animation, are indeed more work than 3D.

>those kids are probably 19 now

Sprite is fine. There's a clear distinction between pixelshit and pixel art.
Pixelshit is when you put in minimal effort to everything, bland backgrounds, hyper-simplified characters, and all around, it conveys vaguely what it is, but doesn't give you any details.
Pixel art is when you put in moderate to heavy effort to make things look like what they are with details and all despite being pixelated.

Good luck making alternate costumes for your characters lmao

You don't speak for everyone, where's your poll that backs this up?

>no one cares

My "poll" are the sales of pixel games, how much did Blazing Chrome even sell? 500 copies? lmfao

>Halo 4
>2011

what the fuck

It equals 3+1 you threehead

Your eyes need some check up.

>500 copies?
Steamspy says upwards of 20k.
This isn't including Switch, PS4, or Bone sales. Not sure about PS4 or Bone, but it seems more popular on the Switch.
So no, it did more than well enough for a Gamemaker game.

this probably has sick parallax scrolling and is therefore better

This especially these days. 90% of all 3D work is fucking sourced from libraries at this point: physics, animation cycles, etc. the only thing left to do is make and rig a low poly actor, slapp some (sourced) textures on it, slap some (sourced) PPE on it, then do little tweaks and cleanup here and there.

That game's new.

I don't mind bland or minimalist backgrounds as much as i mind bland, minimalist sprite design. good backgrounds are an actual talent well above even intermediate levels.

wouldn't mind playing indie games if they had this look and feel
youtu.be/3PNuE7N-prM?t=84

>gamemaker
>GAMEMAKER

Holy fucking shit why use that? Unreal Engine 4 is better for sprite games too. Gamemaker is trash, even Unity is better.

>Unreal Engine 4
>sprite games too
maybe the shit ones like op

you forgot the work that goes into writing deep and engaging stories, dialogue, and quality voice acting. The Witcher 3 took more work than any sprite game ever could.

This. No sprite game can ever compete with The Witcher 3.

Boomer here. You're right, its probably just us buying these. Thats because we actually have disposable income and do not need to pirate. Boomers are easy to please and have money. Zoomers have no money and are impossible to please

Dev here, currently making a game with painted terrains, and hard shaded player characters.

No matter what I chose to do for that someone will shit on it. Plently of people say doing it Rayman origins/shantae half genie hero style looks awful, and some say pixelshit is awful.

Ultimately, any style can work if it's done well and it looks good. Open your mind a bit OP.

>implying any developers browse this shithole
Even if they did they would know better than to associate with this place let alone listen to anything that anyone has to say here and frankly it's for the best since the only thing that could come from this place on a good day would sound something akin to a cow's bowel movement.

Attached: out-fucking-skilled-son.jpg (421x316, 20K)

I could make a better game than any game dev around today if I felt like it. But I don't.

Post screens

>sucks on e-celeb cock
>doesn't know about minicrafta and ror
as expected from zoom-Yea Forums

Sure you could, champ.

And Bug Fables.
And Haydee.
And Monolith.
And oh so many other small games too.

the thing is that sprite based visuals are often much cheaper, faster, and easier to produce. most indie developers have tiny budgets, and asking for higher production values rapidly increases workload and cost.

creating ANYTHING good is difficult, and that includes pixel art. i recommend you try making a game yourself, and you'll either grow to appreciate the efforts of making something kinda shitty, or you'll quit half-way through and continue to blame everything else around you instead of owning up to the fact youre not good enough.

SNK was known for making huge detailed characters, sometimes with 100+ frames each. this is a clear example of when sprites cost more than alternative means and it ended up being their downfall by not adapting to newer technologies.

Attached: 2GZy3MI.jpg (612x612, 65K)

You're just mad you'll never get to play a game made by yours truly.

Cheap sprites look better than cheap 3D 90% of the time

Wrong. Axion's verge doesn't look half as good as a goddamn ps1 game lol

Let's not forget the O.G., Katawa Shoujo
homph.com/steam/

You tell em bro, us gamers of the new gamer league demand cutting edge 3d games, all these gramps are just too retarded to control a character on a 3rd dimension.
Ugh before anyone replies to me, unless you're a nugamer, I won't even grace your reply with signature gaming greet.

Signed, Gamer of the New Age,

I don't like Blazing Chrome because one of the playable characters is a Black woman. Anyone else feel this way?

The reason SNK went bankrupt was due to making HD hand drawn sprites that support native 1080p resolution. Image trying to make a 4k sprite based fighting game. That shit would take 4 - 5 years to complete and cost 200 million dollars minimum.

This. I expect games to have cutting edge 3d tech. I'm talking the works, realistic physics, ultra hd textures, all that shit.

It's a good thing that the Ninja guy has the exact same move set so you aren't missing anything.

I loved the SEGA MEGADRIVE but these modern 2D games are crap compared to stuff the likes of SEGA and CAPCOM put out back in the day.

why the fuck would a ninja fight like a black woman wtf

youtu.be/51Pqv1_L4hQ

The black woman fights like a ninja using her cybernetics, not the other way around.
>Power up and then slash your foes to bits
>And also dash

youtube.com/watch?v=DEhwtTK4U8M
is it me or is Mike Matei getting better at video games than James now

based loogie

at the cost of his health. look at his eyes for fucks sake.

>Dear game devs
>use shitty Unity models
>hand made sprites are bad!!!

zoomer filth, get away from me

ok I never understood this as a kid, why the fuck is the ninja dude walking around with a pair of scissors?

Cheap 3D is mighty No. 9 and Bloodstained you retard

Poor example since this looks dreadful with ugly proportions and stupid looking movement.

Both look better than sprite games. My point stands.

Bloodstained is fucking hideous. I cringe every time I scroll past a thread. I wouldn't even waste my time on pirating it

Most people seem to think it looks amazing, you're in the minority

If you wanna talk about a game that looks worse than a PS1 game compare Bloodstained to Symphony of the Night

based, the sooner the entire industry crash and burns, the sooner we can all engage in more interesting hobbies.

enjoy getting rekt in forkknife little nigga

But Bloodstained looks better than SOTN...

in what way?

In every way? Did you even look at it?

Yeah, Pixel art actually looks like things. It actually requires some artistic vision, technical skill and SOUL to execute good pixel art.
Pixel shit is just a bunch of fucking brown pixel boxes jammed together and doesn't look like anything, except maybe an artist's interpretation of Quake. Or maybe they make them neon colored which just makes it more of an aesthetic abomination against eyesight. A lot of shitty indie devs do this from what I see of the typical dreck that floated out of the cesspit known as greenlight.

Yes, one looks like unity trash and the other looks like a game with a budget

Thoughts?

youtu.be/Fgnsmb6ydeI

The fight with the twin dragon demons on the tower looks better than anything in sotn.

youtube.com/watch?v=khpA1l_Tb8k

damn OP that looks really good thanks for sharing

No, SotN definitely looks better. Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia definitely look better too. Bloodstained is fun but it definitely is ugly as fuck.

Wow, that looks really bad. Glad I didn't bother with the game. Doesn't help that the person playing seems to have single-digit IQ

Like pimpin

Attached: moy.png (1080x694, 298K)

That game looks fucking amazing dude, get your eyes checked

yes yes very fine post indeed OP, very fine
HOWEVER
old=good
new=bad
2d=old
3d=new
therefore
2d=good
3d=bad

>and can never have engaging characters and stories like modern games
>t. nintendie LARPing as a snoygger

>Slash
>Jump
>Slash
>"Hyaa! Hyaa!"
You cannot tell me that the link above looks fun or varied at all. The game is honestly pretty ugly, reminds me of those early Unreal Engine games where everything is shiny and reflective and shit. Some of it looks alright or even good, like the shield knight before the fight. But the game feels like a collage of random assets. It's not congruent at all, if that makes sense.

based

Up yours, nigger.

Attached: taurus boss.png (212x236, 75K)