How the fuck was this exceptable in 1989...

How the fuck was this exceptable in 1989? Motherfuckers had the ability for better graphics and color but didn’t just to make a profit. Why did gen X eat this shit up?

Attached: 853A8781-F21E-4519-8654-53CA6127901F.jpg (250x303, 12K)

Because it had good games

>exceptable
Come on, OP
The NES was priced at roughly $460 in today's money. The game boy was less than half of that, so not having color wasn't too big a deal

It had soul

>exceptable
Remove yourself from the jean pool.

This

does nobody get tired of shitting on nintendo for underpowered hardware? this happens every fucking generation. It's the games man.

The NES was a mistake too but at least that had the excuse of being a fad. The GameBoy managed to keep going for 10 years

Everything before 2007 had soul.

It was the only option
There you go, retard.

Power is relative.

Its war proved
Plus:The NSA can't hack it

Attached: gambu boy.jpg (4048x3036, 837K)

Remember color handhelds from that period.
Now remember how they would burn through 6xAA batteries in less than four hours.
Now fuck off, you ridiculous cockstain

It wasn’t though. Game Gear was right around the corner yet people still fell for it. Beside handhelds are memes and always have been

Kek

>Not buying an AC adapter for unlimited power

There was a handheld that had all the stuff you want. How well did that turn out?

Oh yeah it ate AAs in a few hours

Game gear costed nearly as much as the NES, that's why. You can do a bunch of cool things but the prices need to be in the same league.
It would be like if the Switch could run every game in 1080p while handheld but costed $550. It wouldn't take off the way it had.

Yeah, because there were so many power sockets on buses, trains and wherever else you would take your DESIGNED TO BE PORTABLE device. Fucking idiot.

Probability is a meme anyway

Probability is a useful statistical concept

Stop being so wrong and go read all the very well documented reasons from the limitations the GameBoy was launched with.

You're pooping on Yokoi's grave when being such a shit-head, you doo-doo brain.

I couldn’t care less about some Jap. What matters is the console or in this case the handheld. The story behind it is beyond irrelevent

If you don't care about context, and only want a direct answer to "Why did gen X eat this shit up?", scroll up and check FP.

Battery life.

Cope

the games are shit now though

tetris, links awakening, mario land 1,2 and tmnt 3 are still good though

wow, you're a retard.

because people were not always entitle little shits over stuff like that you nigger

The Lynx was twice as big, twice as expensive, and had half the battery life.

Have they ever made custom shells that look like that?

Attached: F5A0F189-47F6-47D5-8564-C60BA9B8EB91.jpg (4032x3024, 2.23M)

Because retard kiddie

1) Colour used up batteries like fuck so it cost a fucking fortune and the batteries would be dead in about 2 hours.

2) Colour geaphics would have meant the system would have cost more and put off potential buyers.

>Colour geaphics
Peak yuropoor

>Game Gear
>Costed almost as much as an NES
>With a 30 minute battery life to boot
It was a great idea but it just wasn't practical, especially when the game boys battery life lasted for anywhere between 10 to 30 fucking hours.

Attached: 1543336750115.jpg (500x378, 31K)

God I can't fucking wait for summer to be over and underagefags stop shitting this board with threads like this and that one memory card thread.

>The NES was a mistake too
What do you people get out of being so contrarian?

>Gen X
What? I was born in 1987. Since when am I part of that generation? Anyway, it was "exceptable" because it was 1989 motherfucker. The only other thing we had was Tiger electronics. Sega tried it with Gamegear and that thing ate up so much battery power that the guy at Walmart recommended an adapter to my mother.

Gameboy was a nice compromise for vidya on the go. You got some really great titles like Tetris, Super Mario Land 1, 2, and 3, Pokemon, etc. Sure, it may not be impressive to zoomers and late millennials born in the mid '90s, but back in the day it was fine because we basically had nothing else to compare it to, at least until Gamegear came out.

The Game Boy set the standard for battery life expectancy in consumer devices. Mobile phones would never had made it through the full day without the expectations set by annoying kids with Mario Land.

>It wasn’t though.
as much as eating food is not the only option cause you could also eat shit if you really wanted

Mobile phones could have made it.
But it would have been far more painful. Since Gameboy meant you had a benchmark of actually using it without changing batteries.
For mobile phones a lot of them shipped with games, and a lot of them where used for extreme amounts of talking. One feeds into the other.
For mobile phone the metric is "talk time".
Which leads to stuff like
Nokia 3510:: 6.5 hours talk time
Gameboy: 30 hours per set of batteries

You're right about talk time, but you missed the point.
What he's trying to say is that the GameBoy gave kids tens of hours of battey life, so when phones became to be used for games as well, many kids moved to those, with the same expectation when it comes to battery life.
Thanks to this standard set by the GameBoy, phones increased their battery life to match and even surpass the set standard

he means the games being released now

>The NES was a mistake too
The NES saved videogames after Atari killed them.

Mistake

>Video games were better off dead

Attached: 6871365.jpg (640x464, 46K)

Battery limitations meant that it could either have more power and limited play time, like the Game Gear, or it could have the power it did. A quick look at the Game Gear's success vs the Game Boy's shows Nintendo made the right choice. At the end of the day, the best feature a portable can have is to ACTUALLY BE PORTABLE.

It still baffles my mind it vanquished the Game Gear which was a far better system but I guess it didn't enjoy the same leverage as Nintendo. z00mers may now look up what a Game Gear is

Snoys don't understand that logic. Too used to movies.

And yet the Wii U was borderline worthless in that regard, especially now since all their exclusives are on Switch now.

There was no other handheld console. I know Game Gear existed but I didn't know a single person who had one.

That thing was fine, the GBC was good as well. The real question is: How the fuck was this exceptable in 2001? Screen was complete dogshit

Attached: gba.png (578x392, 263K)

Videogames were never dead in Europe, nor in Japan. In fact the arcade industry was growing during the early 80s.

The PS1 beat the N64.
The PS2 beat the GC and Xbox.
The Wii beat the PS3 and Xbox 360.
The DS beat the PSP.
Being strong doesn't necessarily win; in fact it's more of an oddity when the strongest wins. Also as part of a portable's job is to be convenient and portable, the Game Gear failed in that regard.

Pretty much the same for me. There was one kid who had a Game Gear, but everyone else I knew had Game Boys. I don't recall seeing a non-Nintendo handheld gaming console in person until the PSP came out.

and nintendo is always weaker relative to its competitors

If you can’t figure out if you’re supposed to use “affect” or “effect”, just rewrite the sentence to use “impact” and then you’ll never get it wrong

Please, the GBA was great fun and comfy to carry around, despite the issues. Now this fucker here:
>have great screen
>slap a large chunk of reflective glass on top so it's near impossible to look at fully in ANY light conditions...

Attached: wonderswan_crystal_.jpg (640x640, 69K)

Fucking retard.

>UHH EXCEPT WHEN YOU BRING UP THE SEGA GENESIS UHHHH HAHA SNES SO POWERFUL DOY UH EEEHEHEE

Attached: onion.jpg (411x361, 21K)

Still a large market that essentially affects a huge chunk of the industry. To insinuate America exiting the video games market would have no impact at all is naive. For better or worse it's got a large fucking footprint.

Who /wormlight/ here?

Attached: GBA_wormlight.jpg (400x400, 18K)

Cheapest usually wins

The game gear was for all intents and purposes a portable master system which if I remember correctly was more powerful than the NES. It was like the 3DS vs Vita. The vita was more powerful but more expensive and had less games.

>all their exclusives are on Switch now
Incorrect.

It had amazing games
> Tetris
> Super Mario Land
> Super Mario Land 2
> Wario Land
> Link's Awakening
> Samus Returns
> Kirby's Dream Land 2
> For the Frog the Bell Tolls
> Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
> Wave Race
> Operation C
> Bomberman GB 1-3
> Castlevania: Belmont's Revenge
> X
> Trip World
> Mega Man V
> Adventure Island
And a lot more

>the Game Gear which was a far better system
It wasn't though, it was bulky, expensive, and chewed through batteries like a landwhale at a buffet. The library wasn't as good either.

oh right, Devil's Third.

The wiiU has the definitive versions of Windwaker and twilight princess, pikmin 3, wonderful 101, xenoblade x. It also has a good virtual console (something the switch lacks and needs)

Aside from the batteries, Color LCD screens were shit back then. Awful contrast, washed out colors, and ridiculously high persistence. Sonic was practically unplayable due to the ridiculous motion blur.

Great battery life, basically a SNES in the palm of your hand, with colors and all.

I had both. I was all about those handhelds because in the early '90s we were too poor to afford consoles.

mine had a dinosaur on it. I still have it