Why were the late 90s RPGs filled with existentialist and fatalist stories like Chrono Cross and Xenogears...

Why were the late 90s RPGs filled with existentialist and fatalist stories like Chrono Cross and Xenogears? It seems like a very unique period for the medium and we haven’t really seen a lot of stories like them since.

Attached: AB0BC80B-2B22-4BE7-AE37-3DD8E4BD3D01.jpg (766x766, 260K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xU5tQIDMAEw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronos
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kairos
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Games from the makers who saw Neon Genesis Evangelion.

came here to post this
eva was a pretty big deal

New Millennium
Bubble economy burst in Japan some decade prior
Ruminations on aftermath of nuclear bombings and capitalist society
Fall of the Soviet Union
Information Age

I don't like Eva but this is probably the truth - now to mention the complexity of growth in the genre from the NES "we wuz heroes n shit" FF1 days.

5th/6th gen consoles were the last ones where AAA games were still relatively cheap enough to produce that risks could be made by big developers.
5th gen in particular ushered in 3D games to the mainstream so developers were looking to try new things wherever they could. Just look at all of the JRPGs on PS1 with unique battle systems unlike anything that came before them.
Also Masato Kato was a writer for both Xenogears and Chrono Cross. All his work since has been pretty weak though, with the exception of maybe Baten Kaitos which had some cool ideas.

Attached: 1562883245456.gif (280x210, 865K)

They weren't aiming for the bottom barrel IQ audience.

Thread theme

youtube.com/watch?v=xU5tQIDMAEw

Chrono Cross soundtrack is beyond god tier.
Mitsuda's other works are good, but what he did on the Chrono games is on a whole other level.

Attached: Pom Poko meme.png (127x117, 30K)

Not sure how you can even fit both these games in the same sentence...

Cross is a terrible game that shit on Chrono Trigger legacy while Xenogears is one of the best game ever made.

Cross is amazing stop being such a fucking baby.

On topic besides the EVA thing I would bet it has to do with Japan going from an economic superpower to a bad recession and I bet a ton of people felt hopeless.

pleb detected

Attached: sumg.gif (340x340, 137K)

Crono trigger niggers are the worst fanbase

>Cross is amazing stop being such a fucking baby.
Like hell it is. Take your bullshit retcon fest and shove it up your ass. Kato took a fun and simple RPG world and turned its story in a pointlessly convoluted shit show.

>Xenogears is one of the best game ever made.
Have you played xenogear it's fucking unplayable nowadays xenosaga 3 is a better game

But Chrono Cross has one of the most interesting stories ever told in gaming. You should try it out again instead of being a blind shill.

Someone is triggered they didn't get the sequel they wanted

Don't even try to put CC and Xenogears into the same sentence. Kato is an enormous hack and his story was anything but existentialist and fatalist, it was just pants on head retarded.

There's getting a sequel that tries to do something different, and then there's a sequel that tries to actively subvert and undermine EVERYTHING that made the world and characters of the original good. Chrono Cross is the latter and sucks because of it.

Stories generally are filled with the angst of their writers. It's not just jrpgs.

>while Xenogears is one of the best game ever made
It's not even fucking done, m8

It's always someone butthurt about the trigger connection. Trigger was the first rpg I ever finished and I love it but Cross is also amazing and top 10 material.

Trigger didn't need a sequel.
Cross is a personal product of Kato's spite towards more talented people.
There's a reason this piece of shit got thrown out of the industry after godawful Sands of Destruction.
Hell, Kato wrote the worst written Xenogears segment too and his style was instantly recognizeable the moment you've tried to talk with any NPC.

Attached: 1545661172729.jpg (1024x768, 128K)

>sequel
Its a spiritual sequel and has much to do with CT as xenogear has to do with xenosaga

If you judge CC by its own merits it's a amazing game

Fuck. This always give me the CHILLS every time I heard it.

Objective truths about Chrono Cross:
The only bad song in the whole soundtrack is the one that plays the most in the game.
It should have cut its amount of party characters by half at least.

>chrono cross
>a deep, insightful plot
Lmao, it's a story about generic anime boy becoming a furry, killing generic fantasy dragons, then becoming a real boy again. Horrible plot

>Its a spiritual sequel and has much to do with CT as xenogear has to do with xenosaga
Bullshit. It's a direct canonical sequel to CT, taking place in the same world, featuring a number of recurring characters and locations, and continuing a few minor plot threads that were left unresolved in that game.

I'm glad I'm not stupid when I read things like this.

>If you judge CC by its own merits
It's an extremely preachy, whiny piece of shit full of inane ecological moralization about evil humans being a blight on the worl, with absolutely buttfuck retarded plot twists and incredibly bloated cast which leaves no room for fleshing anyone of them out. Everything CC has tried to do in terms of themes was done by FF7 way better. The rest is just trying to leech off a way better game, taking a huge dump on it in the process.

Chrono Trigger and Radical Drea--I mean Chrono Cross are the only 2 good OSTs Mitsuda made in his entire career.

>Spiritual sequel
>When everything was a massive keikaku by Belthasar and all about rescuing Schala when she was the only unresolved plotline from Trigger.

Not arguing about the quality of the game, just calling it a sequel.

>hamfisted retarded ecological "messages" the game

My favorite part is when dwarves go off and commit fairy genocide, your party of humans stops them, saving the fairies, and then somehow the dwarves doing this to the fairies is humanity's fault according to both the dwarves *and* the fairies. Grrrrrrr humans bad

But he's right, the plot is fucking retarded and that's a decent summary

I'm just gonna say it;
I have NEVER seen a calm, rational, or objective post explaining what makes Chrono Trigger better than Chrono Cross (or any other game for that matter, particularly Live-A-Live which is a pretty direct competitor that was better on many levels)
Even Sonic has some levelheaded fans in the community

Brainlet.
I'm sure a lot of things seem retarded to a retard.

Yet you're trying to defend this game. Here you go, that's Masato Kato in a nutshell.

Attached: 1563457266028.jpg (1280x900, 274K)

The best argument for the plot being retarded is that they had to have 3 ghosts explain what the fuck was going on right before the final boss.

Sounds more unique then your average jrpg

Well, for one, Chrono Cross and Xenogears were written by the same guy. That said this is also when Anime was going through it's big deconstruction phase with NGE and Utena so it's not surprising that some of that ended up in games as well.

>Well, for one, Chrono Cross and Xenogears were written by the same guy
Kato is responsible for the worst written segment of Xenogears and he weren't the main writer thankfully.

>he didn't played Chrono Trigger 2: Radical Dreamers
OH NONONONONO LOOK AT THIS DUDE

A ton of games in the 90s had an environmental message. People were starting to get sick of boomers ruining the planet. Ever play a hidden gem called FF7?

Oh god, remember when you examine some piece of furniture in that wrecked house in Shevat and you get a message along the lines of "You found a child's precious memories here... but no one can take those away." Kato is SUCH a pretentious fuckhead sometimes.

>Only played the first half, thinking it was the whole game because Miguel was too hard

>A ton of games in the 90s had an environmental message
None of them had such a hamfisted, poorly written and extremely whiny one.

>THE PLOT IS R-REALLY GOOD, YOU'RE JUST STUPID
You have anything of substance to say or are you just gonna call everyone who doesn't like your garbage game dumb

So Chrono Break would have been about travelling the universe killing every Lavos ever?

I agree with you about Trigger vs Cross, but the former is still a great game.
I view it as a JRPG parallel to OoT in that its not that it does anything particularly well, rather that it doesn't have any major flaws. Similarly, Cross could be compared to MM for being a much more unique game both thematically and in turns of its gameplay systems, but as a result misses the mark in a few places.
That being said everyone knows a flawed masterpiece is better than a "perfect" game that doesn't do anything to truly standout.

>sometimes
He is a pretentious piece of shit to the bone.
Sands of Destruction feels like someone's bad Xenogears fanfic written by a person with no taste.

Knowing Kato it would have turned out Lavos was the origin of humanity or something and that by erasing him from the multiverse you'd also erase humans (and that's a good thing).

Majora's mask doesn't miss the mark in any capacity and is pretty much a perfect game. Meanwhile chrono cross misses the mark in every single regard except for the soundtrack

As others have said, Evangelion played a role. The zeitgeist of the 90s produced a lot of "deeper" games and anime. Not to mention these game had the same writer, Kato, and composer, Mitsuda. I'd even say that XG and CC are their best works. These games are easily in my top 5. I was even thinking of replaying CC.

>Knowing Kato it would have turned out Lavos was the origin of humanity

Trigger already basically said that. It said Lavos fucked with our evolution to make us smarter and such like the Dinosaurs so it can make better use of us.

The difference here is that FF7 actually has you travel around various cities and locales to see the negative environmental effects of Mako energy and Shinra's industrialism. Chrono Cross just waxes rhetoric about humanity's capacity for destruction while setting the story in either a relatively peaceful tropical archipelago or a post-apocalyptic wasteland brought about by something far worse than human pollution. FF7 is far more convincing with its environmentalist message than CC is.

That's because Cross barely has an environmentalist message
Outside of the Dwarf/Fairy subplot it is barely ever mentioned
You just got too triggered to realize that that's not the game's overall message

>He thinks Cross and FF7 are about environmentalism.
WEW

>Chrono
>Serge
What's the next protagonist name?

>FF7 isn't environmentalist
What is the entire Shinra plot, then? Avalanche are literally eco-terrorists fighting against Shinra because they're "killing the planet", as Barrett says himself.

Nigga, about every other NPC in the game talks about how "HUMANS SUCK AND ARE EVIL" and how they need to live with the land and shit

Chronergeo

When I last played this as a teenager I had no idea what the fuck was going on with the plot in the second half. Also having like 40 possible party members seemed kinda excessive.

>trigger niggers
fucking yikes

>chronegro

FTFY

They don't, though.
Outside of the Dwarves and Fairies, the only time anyone calls out humans is Marbule, and the whole point of the Marbule subplot is that the demi-humans are wrong about the humans

Yeah, the huge number of party members sucks, especially when you can only field 3 of them. I appreciate the diversity and variety on display, and If the game allowed for a big party size like Suikoden maybe it would have worked better but as it is with one slot nearly always occupied by Serge it's kind of a worthless bounty. Especially coming off Chrono Trigger with its exceptionally memorable cast in comparison.

Chrono Black (Rose) in the dubs

>But Chrono Cross has one of the most interesting stories ever told in gaming.

problem is that it's story requires shitting all over Trigger

>Chrono
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronos
Next one should be named Kairos
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kairos
Don't know what the name Serge have to do with Time-related

>Waaaaah muh one character died in an interesting and virtuous manner and muh robot got deleted

Still makes no sense how they could have beaten Lucca when Lucca was smacking around stronger beasts by the end of trigger. It's like how they expect us to believe the Porre army killed off Crono and Marle when they had giant nukes.

Can we get some stupid retards in the industry to stop doing this?

This, so much this. The music is my favorite from any game.

It did? I just thought it was showing that there was unintended consequences for everything that we do (no good deed goes unpunished) and Serge and co were just fixing the threads that were left open. The ending implies that everything went back to the way it was supposed to be, Schala being saved from Lavos and together with Kid, Serge surviving the storm, Lucca living now that Lynx never happened, Dalton’s meddling erased, etc.

no, because statistically those people, as a market segment, outnumber the rest

>less than half an hour into the thread
>trigger niggers come out to bawww
feels great loving both games and knowing they're both fantastic

Only if/when the video games fad ends. Nobody bothers to invest in a niche game when Normie McNormalfag will pre-order the new "Brand's Gate: the generic game made by a committee" and all its DLCs.

NGE.
the entertainment industry in japan disovered jung and other philosophers, so babby's first existentialism sounded very deep to weeaboos, even more so young weeaboos.

cross is the perfect ct sequel, it was so good you did not understand it, and instead wanted some basic bitch iterative copy.

when the formula itself that made ct unique was the exact opposite.

cc goes in the same direction as ct did relative to other jrpgs and did so exponentially, unfortunately mouthbreathing FF7 fans found it a little too daring for their low IQ. they just wanted chrono to come back and do a combo attack.

almost like a depressed frog who failed to fend off level 3 enemies ever being able to beat a time traveling, 4000-years-in-training magician from the arian race of chosen living creatures?

are you unironically going for cinematic death consistencies in squaresoft games?

>ask someone have you play Xenogears
>end up claim it's unplayable
braindead zombie

I'm playing through it again right now and it holds up just fine. The art style comes across as impressionistic, the dialogue is heavy but still compelling, the characters are likeable despite their inner conflict. Combat is a little cheesy but the comboes and fuel-management make it feel slightly less braindead than a traditional menu-driven JRPG. I have no complaints except the sheer number of NPCs available to talk to, which I'm admittedly skipping most of this time through the game.

>cc goes in the same direction as ct did relative to other jrpgs and did so exponentially
What the fuck does this even mean?

He means CT was built as a SNES RPG with all the usual systems and tropes and Cross was a PS1 RPG with all the usual systems and tropes.

Chrono cross isn't fatalist you retard.
The entire game is against fatalism.

I dunno especially cause Chrono Cross was dogshit

Triggerniggers are so hilariously retarded, they can't even comprehend the basic plot of Cross.

Attached: 36515-22200-6.jpg (800x1078, 116K)

Can anyone blame them with that garbage localisation?

>Cross guts Magus storyline because 40 characters means no room for it.
>DS ports reactivates the plot line despite Break never getting anywhere.

I don't know why they bothered, especially when it didn't help Cross's dogshit story.

They were visionary works.

Literally every Cross criticism coming from butthurt Trigglies stems from their inability to understand the game. FACT.

I like how nintendies act like BotW is special for making Yea Forums seethe when Triggerbabbies are STILL crying over Cross 2 decades later