Why did it fail to make any sort of lasting impression like Ico or SotC did?

Why did it fail to make any sort of lasting impression like Ico or SotC did?

Attached: 815NRVChLEL._SL1500_.jpg (1197x1500, 265K)

Too linear, i'd say Ico had the same problem though and roughly had the same impact. SoTC is far above either two in terms of lasting impact

SoTC was the most beautiful and technically impressive game on the PS2. TLG was janky but didn't look all that impressive, other than the feathers really. Also most people only remember it as that one game that was never coming out.

I really liked the VR demo they made though. I could see them remaking the entire game into VR for next gen, that's something I'd buy in a heartbeat.

Because it sucked

>Implying it didn't
Speak for yourself brainlet. It's a gorgeous game that hits a lot of the same emotional notes ICO did. It's also not even remotely similar in design to SotC, so comparing to that is unfair at best.

Camera being generic over-the-shoulder instead of an expressionistic one that reinforces the architecture, slow-mo dramatic moments for the shake of "look how cool it is", the entire journey seeming linear/mechanic af...

this was the first team ico game i played, literally bought it because it failed hard a month after being released and was cheap as fuck and i needed games for my bloodborne box.
I actually fucking loved it, i got the platinum too because i thought there was an exclusive theme as a reward..

I then went on to play ICO and SoTC.
I'd rate it just about as good as ico, in terms of atmosphere with better "gameplay"

SoTC felt a bit underwhelming but i liked the world and feeling of loneliness, probably because it was overhyped for a decade.

It's honestly such a positive and wholesome game to me.
I had no expectations at all though and sure as hell didn't have to wait ages like the other team ICO fans

I like the game but i think it needed more puzzles to be memorable. Most of the time you are waiting for Trico to jump to another place. It feels like Ico excet you are playing with Yorda.

Also i really hate that grabing is automatic instead of holding r1 like SotC and the camera could go crazy sometimes.

Still, the art direction is amazing, the design of The Nest is incredible and Trico is one of the most endearing game characters ever.

There weren't as many artsy games back then.

I guess this is an important thing to remember.

it had no soul

Trico was a stubborn beast that was hard to command but that was part of the experience.

probably would have if controlling that dumb cunt wasn't so fucking frustrating

Attached: The Last Guardian™_20170703214736.jpg (1920x1080, 175K)

how did you play ico? I tried the ps4 version and the camera and graphics are far worse than I remembered

Development hell, it felt a bit too unfinished and unpolished by the time it came out. With Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, it felt like you had some OK control over everything. Last Guardian suffered from Trico just not responding that well and feeling like a crapshoot if he would finish an objective.

on pc via ps2 emulator

That was the point, he is his own creature that isn’t going to just do whatever you say. It was this feeling of working with something that had a will of its own that made the game so incredible.

Attached: The Last Guardian™_20170703214819.jpg (1920x1080, 275K)

Graphical downgrades and multiple delays leading up to the official release date.
In the finale retail releases of the game, Trico ends up looking like a featherless chicken rather than a cute hybrid between a dog and a griffin.

>Why did it fail to make any sort of lasting impression like Ico or SotC did?
Why do people still think this? Pure lunacy. Delusional.

Attached: 470615310.png (3339x1266, 3.51M)

Virtual beings who frustrate & resist us. Who are untamable, defiantly other. This is the future I want for videogames.

>until dawn, spiderman and second son on low tier

god you have fucking shit taste, re-evaluate your life weeb scum

last gaurdian is trash tho

I think it's what people bring in with them when they play TLG that makes them walk away disappointed. Team ICO games have such a different concept of what a videogame is, what it tries to do, and how it goes about doing it than the vast majority of games (and certainly what the vast majority of Yea Forums wants out of games) that people just don't get or appreciate the kind of holistic experience they aim to provide.

I think coming after SoTC set them up for failure in that regard, as its definitely the most "usual" game out of their work and its more broad appeal drew in a lot of people who were expecting something similar.

Attached: The Last Guardian™_20180507220611.jpg (1920x1080, 360K)

It's brilliant.
The puzzles can get a bit tiresome after a while, but I loved how you build the relationship with Trico

It was created in an age of rabid cynicism and contrarianism. Also the controls can be a bit frustrating at times.

Attached: 1556340081072.jpg (599x750, 58K)

>predecessors were same vein of niche as fuck
>delayed ad infinitum
>lo and behold everyone got unnecessarily hyped for it
There are things you shouldn't be hyped for
leave it to retarded people to have unrealistic expectations and to literally buy into unnecessary hype

Market doesn't allow for these types of games to have influence anymore. Kinda like how marvel and china are the current biggest influences on hollywood.

I liked the other team Ico games but this is not what I'm looking for in a video game- when my real pet dog or cat or whatever ignores me I feel like that's a real reaction and I can and should do something about it, when a virtual catdog ignores me I feel like a failed a dice roll.

Sotc and Ico came out around the time that was something new and original, people who played it as kids grew up and made similar games.

Last guardian is fantastic but it should have come out in the PS3

Penis

It didnt do much different from the previous games
To many annoying jank moments

Still a good game though

>tfw trico is in danger and you're so pulled in by the game that you actually panic in real life

game of the generation

i felt pretty bad at this scene ngl also teared up at the end when you have to tell trico to fly away but i blame it on the music

Attached: The Last Guardian™_20180508132037.jpg (1920x1080, 186K)

According to Matthewmatosis, these are the only two 10s to come out this generation.

Attached: mosaic1a044367a44fb45206001b0ac20d0c1329843200.jpg (310x615, 86K)

But I don't care about Matthewfedorasis.

I’m just really thankful Sony never cancelled it even if they probably should have, they really cared.

When SotC came out, there weren't that many games that intentionally controlled like shit but made you feel sad. Nowadays there are plenty of indie games that do that so TLG had no impact.

Because it took twice as long as it should have to come out and despite looking like a PS3 game, still would often run at sub-30 fps. Also it controlled like shit and was more of a test of patience than anything.

>but controlling Trico is supposed to suck!
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

>Trico is supposed to suck!
it's not supposed to be a car, no
in fact the interactions change as the game progresses

Artsy single player puzzle adventures are relegated to indie games now but it would have been a huge hit if it came out when it was supposed to. It just won’t make a big impact when everything is about online multiplayer that gets supported forever or Last of Us clones.