Why did point and click games die?

why did point and click games die?

Attached: 1563695014881.gif (960x600, 1.02M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=trJgdzbrWqQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The few attempts we got at them in the modern day (as in, REAL attempts, broken age etc) were pretty mediocre. People see them more as walkthrough fodder because people have no sense of accomplishment or drive to figure shit out on their own, although I'll admit that many games had total bullshit you basically had to guess at to figure out.
But, anyway, point is they turned into telltale games and david cage games. Some semblance of gameplay and some minor puzzle solving, but nothing that's particularly difficult, more a vehicle to tell the story rather than a sense of progression through events. There' VNs on the other side of things which are less like adventures as they have a tendency to be very linear.

People stopped buying them.

Is this Judaism in action?

One of the last games I can think of that really felt like a classic Point and Click Adventure was that mediocre Back to the Future game that Telltale made just before they blew up with the Walking Dead.

It's a shame what happened to them. I wish they could've kept making charming Point and Clicks like Sam and Max forever. The puzzles in those games often felt like nonsense, but it was fun to escape to that kind of goofiness for a few hours at a time.

youtube.com/watch?v=trJgdzbrWqQ

Attached: 2273419-Sam_Max748_screen.jpg (480x360, 60K)

I don't disagree, and I even enjoyed the BTTF telltale game, but it was definitely a sign of what the point and click market was moving towards. Everything had to be more casualized and easier to understand for normalfags. Plus the shift towards licensing properties means you have to be very careful about what you do or say involving them, so open ended games are usually a no no.

people preffer to watch a "lets play" video instead of playing themselves

what game is that?

They got replaced by that gay girl game about the girl with her dead dad and Telltale.

People keep saying shit like this, but is there any actual evidence? I simply don't believe this claim.

Tech isn't limited to it anymore. I've always been partial to text-adventure games, but what are the chances of new ones of those coming around? How are they going to make that sell when every other game company is making games that can tell the same story with visuals to back it up?

I'm afraid the answer is that times and technology has changed.

Attached: C64 quest for holy grail your direction.png (797x927, 27K)

man I remember playing hitchhikers guide after getting it off a BBS, it was fantastic. so many twists and turns and bad ends.

It's "John Podesta Sacrifices Babies to Moloch" or "Death Cult Murders the Innocent for Power"

>but is there any actual evidence?
depends on your definition of evidence.
if you mean a scientific report with studies that acknowledge this, no.
if you say circumstantial evidence, well you can check YouTube and wee how many videos there are, you have to be a dumb not to see the fact that it is true.

Yeah. The curse of fame and success, I guess. With more money comes more expectations from the people who gave you said money, and more people to answer to if you piss those other individuals off. I wish Telltale could've stayed modestly sized and kept to themselves. Maybe they would still be around if they didn't start chasing after every Batman and Game of Thrones that they could. Still, we all know how the Telltale collapse went down and how the devs knew they needed to update their engine and formula, but the higher ups simply wouldn't let them and forced them to keep making the same bland, buggy product time and again for like four years straight.

We could've had some really fun properties if Telltale had restrained themselves. Maybe we could've gotten a Penny Arcade Point and Click where you fuck around with parodies of game worlds, or maybe a Home Star Runner bullshit nonsense Point and Click with Strongbad.

>or maybe a Home Star Runner bullshit nonsense Point and Click with Strongbad.
this already exists. check out strongbad's cool game for attractive people

Okay, let's look at some of this circumstantial evidence.

Deponia - highest viewed full playhrough has 40,000 views. 1,000,000 owners on steamspy.
Primordia - 2600 views, 100,000 owners.
Fran Bow - 17000 views, 200,000 owners

Not seeing any correlation at all. Shouldn't games with lower sales have a higher viewcount to purchase ratio if your hypothesis was true?

Penny arcade is notoriously shitty to work with. I'm not sure if they're still active anymore but there were forums posts on a few sites about how the devs who worked on their RPGs dealt with them (hint: not well), including zeboyd (who made BoD7/cstw/cosmic star heroine) absolutely shitting on them, and saying the games were maybe half of what they originally intended them to be because they had to keep reworking existing areas and redrawing sprites. It's not on tcrf, but there's a metric assload of content in the files referencing older content, cut content, and more. I'm not foolish enough to say it was totally scrapped after being done but man, the game is bloated to like 2x the size it needs to be with redraws and shit.

Reminds me of the time my son refused to fetch my a pail of water. All he wanted to do was catch Pokemon creatures, the stupid millenial.

Did Hothead Games say anything about working with them for Episode 1 and 2?

Cinematic games are more appealing that pixel hunt, i still enjoy puzze solving but in a more condense experience pic related.

Attached: capsule_616x353.jpg (616x353, 66K)

Didn't know any of that. Welp, forget that off-the-cuff suggestion then, my bad.

What other IPs would you anons like to see as a Point and Click? You can make one based on just about anything, so the sky's the limit, really.

>That "art"
Why is pixel art in games so fucking ugly now?

I still wish we had gotten a sequel to the BTTF and Strong Bad games they made.

Too many games had abstract or nonsensical puzzles that wasn't really about logic but to fulfill some gag, which if iT wasn't intuitive to you, you just had to bang your head against the game until something clicked. Somehow these puzzles were seen as part of the genre and sort of destroyed the reputation of point and clicks. Who the hell wants to be stuck for hours in a puzzle and realize it didn't make any sense when you figured it out. Not all of them did it, but a lot did

What the fuck is this? Google pulls nothing.

Depomia has been on a lot of humble bundles. People owning them is just incidental

Interactive movies. Fuckin Cage killed Point and click.

Shitter devs choose it because its "easy" to make.

Turns out they just have no sense of visuals.

Unskilled pixel art looks like shit. Unskilled traditional art or 3D looks like shit. You still need skill.

I wish console tards hadn't ruined everything.