As a kid this sprite of Mario dying in smw used to terrify and give me nightmares...

As a kid this sprite of Mario dying in smw used to terrify and give me nightmares, and to this day I still don't fucking know why.

Attached: xLfUBaL.png (144x224, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/m1kWyHY5gHU?t=29
youtube.com/watch?v=yaBhxTPapQU
youtube.com/watch?v=k3PsL5178bo
youtube.com/watch?v=F_1uhaLp_j4&t=146s
youtube.com/watch?v=d-U5e9LR6E4
youtube.com/watch?v=qAPxbnL4a7E
youtube.com/watch?v=x0AZUE1Ewi4
youtube.com/watch?v=XbyBBLUrFbI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

soi face

The red face?

Probably. Even looking at it now as a grown ass adult it still sort of unnerves me. I don't know why I'm so autistic about this

did any of you play that weird mario hack that was strangely violent and had realistic screams and a blood explosion whenever he died? this shit sounds like creepypasta but i swear to god i played it when i was like 13 at my uncles house

At the risk of overusing the term, this might be yet another case of the good ol' uncanny valley.
I'm not scared of the sprite, but usually when people talk about being scared of something and not being able to put their finger on why, you can chalk it up to uncanniness.

maybe the eyes full of blood as the falls to his dead. Specially in tall levels as the camera follows him falling while he wrings out of agony..

Y̗̪̣͖̟̾̾͒̓ͨ̚ͅͅo͚͢ͅu̽̔͛̏͜ ̤ͭc̎ͤ͂͌ͮ̔ä̮͉͈͉̥́̋ͣ̈͒n s̨̘̰̗̥̝͓ͅe̛͚̪̦̠ͧ͑̊̒e̒ͤ̐̀ ͔ͦ͞t͑h͓͚͓͇͎͆͋̀̿ͫ̀é͉͎͚̘͖̾ͨͪͣ ̱͉̭̜̟̹̤͌͗̑͋ͣ̍ͫf͓͚̠̗ͮ̏ͫ͐ͅe̼̬͓̬͔̠ͧ̊̿ͭ̋̈́a͇͑́r͓̮̺̒̂̾ ͔̗͖̥̘͕ͤ̎ͪ̊̚i̩n̹̮̙̩̳͈ ́h̻͔͎̱̭̼̗ì̮̥̪̪̭̹̿̆͗̿̏s̸̠̺̐ͬ ̝͍͙͇e͓̭̹͈͍ͯ̉ͧ͂̔y̾e̩̺͈͉͈͌͒͂̃ͫs̉ͤ̕

M̄͟a̵m͙̠̯̗̌̒ͯM̢͉͔̱̿͒̑A̝͉̼̼ͪ̈̋ͤ̔ m̭͖͇̬̆̋ͪ͗I͙̱͍̣ͣ̽͐̚A̡̦̖̙̫̥

mostly because it was associated by horrific and gruesome deaths like those GIGANTIC spike pillars that completely decimate you, horrendous buzz saws, those smashers and thwomps crushing u into a bloody pancake.

I remember in elementary school I got into an argument with this other kid whether or not Mario was overly violent because he thought Mario's face was bloody in this sprite.

there used to be a lot of mario gore back in the day. It was peak humanity desu

i feel like i remember something like this on one of those flash game sites like newgrounds

You're not alone. The game over screen of SMB3 All-Stars used to terrify me as a kid.

the face that toad and toadette make in SMW in mario maker 2 is unsettling

You should have shown that kid Mortal Kombat.

keep this faggy "quirkiness" on tumblr please

he blames you for his death thats why he looks at the screen

No but there's a pretty good creepy Mario World romhack called "the" (coronation day)

MARIOOOOOOOOO

Attached: 1528223351927.png (722x720, 580K)

You clearly don't know what the word decimate means.

It is pretty odd compared to other death sprites throughout the series. But it's just a weird anime-like "shocked" expression, which fits right in with SMW's cartoony art style. Stuff like this is why I love SMW's art style, even if it's a bit rough in some parts.

In all honesty I felt same about this sprite growing up. It didn’t give me nightmares or terrify me but it did freak me out.

Don't know about a rom hack, but there was this Mario game i used to play back in the day when i was young that had all that death shit. Super Mario XP i think. I remember the first level having music from castlevania.
I remember thinking that game was fucking awesome because it had blood and shit when he died, but my mom ended up banning it because it was too violent for a 5 year old. Made me really mad

He looks kind of like a dog in it.

it actually means to take a tenth off, so yes i do i am educated. But the colloquial means to simply destroy

Their SMW death sprites look weird because their eyes stay normal instead of becoming tiny 1-pixel dots.

i always felt some of the screams in mario 64 were a little unnervingly realistic.
namely this one
youtu.be/m1kWyHY5gHU?t=29

lately I have been seeing this shit make a resurgence and for the past few months I have been trying to remember what it's called.
Only just now I randomly remembered it's called Zalgo.

it's better than that era during the mario 3d games where mario straight up fucking dies. hell, in galaxy he gets his fleshed burned off dying to electricity.

always though his eyes turned red, not sure what's suppose to really be

you’re a fucking legend man this is exactly what i remember playing

Attached: F1ECBFC0-FEA9-4A7D-87FC-3B607DA00850.jpg (1080x1080, 149K)

Stop being a pussy, user.

They were going to keep a similar drowning animation from 64 in Odyssey but it wasn't put into the final game
youtube.com/watch?v=yaBhxTPapQU

How in the fuck did Sonic and Donkey Kong lose out to Mario?

Dkc 1&2 and Sonic 1-3 have so much more soul put into it than SMW. As a grow older I realize how shitty Mario is outside of Sunshine

Attached: 2AA29C82-5C9A-44B9-8874-D59C20B5BAF8.gif (720x404, 748K)

Style over substance poster detected

As a kid I always thought the red part was the inside of his mouth opened really really fucking wide because dying hurt

Because you're a fucking faggot, haha
My cousin was afraid of piranha plants in smb and I couldn't beat the copy of Banjo Kazooie I got for my birthday because I was terrified of Grunty as a kid

>m-muh blast processing..

youtube.com/watch?v=k3PsL5178bo
This is actually pretty well done

Sonic was taken over by retards who don't know how to make games as far back as Shadow the Hedgehog (the game). Now they're so desperate they literally hired the Happy Tree Friends writers to make the games. All the series has going for it now is characterization, and even that is falling apart. It's no wonder the series lost out.

Attached: Amy-Rose-Sonic-X-sonic-x-40521517-1024-1482.png (1024x1482, 424K)

They should have kept making games with soul then.

>pic related is how I interpreted the sprite as a kid
>I still can't see Mario's fucking mouth by default and have to look hard to notice it even all these years

Attached: mahriou.png (159x112, 3K)

youtube.com/watch?v=F_1uhaLp_j4&t=146s

Attached: 1478296079824.jpg (687x684, 131K)

Nintendo didn't have the mindset that Rare had with DKC and the team that worked on S3K was burned out after S&K released and Chaotix was on the 32X so it never got to spread its wings, otherwise we would have gotten Mania right after it.

Attached: 1489276212466.gif (250x218, 260K)

Don't know what cosmic coincidence caused me to be browsing this exact thread at the exact same time as you, user, but you're welcome

Attached: 1533008575364.gif (225x158, 1.09M)

Damn this is actually better than the "main" ending to the original. Too bad you have to hack to see it.

god fucking dammit I swear to god I thought I was immune to scary vidya until you fags posted this
I'm gonna pretend I'm not playing it because its shit and be derisive about it so I can stay at a comfortable distance from this hack

>Valley of Bowser secret Fortress

And people say Super Mario World was easy.

Attached: bd0.png (484x371, 211K)

Finding secrets in SMW was fun.
>Discovering the Top Secret Area

Attached: 'v'.png (392x448, 143K)

>mario
>substance

collect 100 coins
race a guy around a mountain
hit boss three times

>sonic
>substance
collect 50 rings
walk through a million blue spheres
do it 7 times

Sonic did the right thing though. Everyone was getting on the 3D gravy train and Sega's east and west branch was too busy figting each other to properly refine Sonic in time to beat Mario at his own game.

Too bad Sonic Team's too incompent to figure out why nobody likes Forces, 2006 or Shadow the Hedgehog's stupid branching levels especially when Sonic has the advantage of actually being allowed to have a story. They should just let Sega of America do it's thing because at least we got Mania out of that trainwreck.

They did, up until 2010. That was when Sonic died.

goddamn it

i would always close my eyes in this part, for some reason it creeped my out

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 29K)

youtube.com/watch?v=d-U5e9LR6E4

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 13K)

DKC game over screens always creeped me the fuck out, especially the last two
youtube.com/watch?v=qAPxbnL4a7E
youtube.com/watch?v=x0AZUE1Ewi4
also this shit right here
youtube.com/watch?v=XbyBBLUrFbI

Autism incoming: I always thought it was retarded how some platformer characters fall off the screen kicking the air when they die
DKC having the heroes just get knocked down and cry/look dismayed was better
shit, even Rayman breaking apart into his component Electrons was better

The switch to 3D

same here. it always looked creepy to me

this, mario dying in arcade DK was much better.

Attached: dead.png (368x308, 7K)

It didn't scare me, but it bugged me that his face changed so drastically from the base design. Obviously they were trying to go for the Warner Bros/Disney style exaggeration. But it just doesn't look good compared to the rest of the games style.

It would be like if Mario always looked like this, then when he died he suddenly had a Jojo face.

Attached: 137543584_8df647c5a2_o.jpg (256x192, 42K)

I think I was the same.

People say that because a lot of levels you can just fly over
Their minds translate this to thinking the game is easy in general.

I always thought the red part was his whole head. never noticed the mouth until this thread.

Wait, it isn't? What the fuck is that then?

It freaked me out too. It's because I never saw his mouth at the bottom so it just looked like this weird red face with no nose/mouth.

I always thought those two whites spots were eyes. I just realized today that it's actually it's arm.

Attached: 2B341185-2B8C-46A4-B3B3-A4CDD282E321.png (163x170, 4K)

The big white part looked like an eye to me because it looks so similar to onyx backsprite in gen 2

Forgot the second pic

Attached: 4AFBCAA4-D279-4CF4-9C42-B1204D28B2D1.png (56x56, 659)

Mario stayed good during his later years, and is still good up to the modern day.
Sonic became fucking shit and donkey kong just asn't as good as it used to be. One property cleared had a long-term plan of quality whereas another didn't.

This didn't scare me, but it left my with a black void of unrelenting disappointment, like I let the kongs down and now their world is fucked... because of me.

Super Mario World is 100x better than the first three Sonic games.

Third one only bothers me because there's no place in the game where shoving the Kongs into a darkened playroom would be appropriate. It's feels like the Kongs were just thrown into some random dungeon never to be seen again while in 2 it's just a prison cell and pretty cheesey.