What did we think of The Witness (2016 video game)?

What did we think of The Witness (2016 video game)?

Attached: why am i not entertained.jpg (1275x714, 152K)

Great puzzle game

Overrated AF.
The Talos Principle is way superior.

Pretty nice.

Little too pretentious.

the videos are gay af. puzzles are okay

2016 GOTY. One of the best examples of using the gaming medium. One of the best examples of games teaching you its mechanics through interactivity. Pretentious narrative bits sprinkled about which do little to enhance the experience.

They're both trash, Antichamber is the only one that tried to do something original and Portal is the ony one with a decent story.

Sorry for the mass quote but I'm not really digging it so far.. Some of the puzzles make no sense. Does the game give you hints eventually or do I just keep trying random solutions until I figure what the puzzle wants from me?

be not stupid

What are you struggling with?

>we

fuckin NPCs

shit puzzle variety

It was so far up its own ass that it looped around and became a decent game again

>Antichamber is the only one that tried to do something original
And then mostly gave up half an hour in.

I always get a headache trying to play this for longer than 30 mins.

There's only like 5 or 6 puzzle types.
Each area picks one and gives you a pretty obvious tutorial on what do with them.
Then it starts mixing and matching.

If you're too dumb to pick up on them, then go back to the easy ones.

I thought it was one of the best games I'd ever played.

Nope, it's a literal snoozefest all the way through, and if you're expecting something from the story oh boy get fucking ready you could try this but i woulnd't bother with such a shitty game, waste your time somewhere else.

wrong. Talos is GOTD.

it's sort of designed so that you can understand the puzzles if you come at them after going away for a bit, so you can go to a different section of the island and see how that works out

I personally think it was a little too ugly for that.

Ok there's this one puzzle near a japnese temple of sorts that need me looking through peepholes on the wall and connecting the lamp but I can't complete it, probably because I need to open more of the wall?

And right otuside that temple there are a couple of fences with a set of 3 puzzles on them but I have absolutely no idea how the game wants me to complete those either

Compared to what though?

Game Out The Dumpster? Sure.

Some great puzzles, awful ending, the main revelation of the game literally goes nowhere. One of the selling points of the game is that all the puzzles were unique and represented a unique consequence of the rulesets, and that’s true, but it does not mean that every variation of some little thing is interesting. The puzzle count could be cut by a half or more.

The Talos Principle
even Portal 2 had more variety

There's a stand in that room with a small switch puzzle which opens or closes the blinds on the walls.

(let me rewrite that)
Ok there's this one puzzle inside a japanese temple of sorts that see me looking through peepholes on the wall and connecting the lamp on the other side but I can't complete it, probably because I need to open more of the wall?

And right otuside that temple there are a couple of fences with a set of 3 puzzles on them, but I have absolutely no idea how the game wants me to complete those either. I think it wants me to draw a specific pattern on the puzzle board?

I don't think I fully agree with you, but thank you for elaborating.

Yeah I opened the blinds but am I supposed to close them again? I try connecting the lamp but it goes nowhere

Those you will learn through other means.

im too much of a brainlet for baba is you

Well the blinds open or close one side of the wall, so if you want to do puzzles on another side you have to switch.

Also I'm not sure what lamp you're talking about, maybe screenshot it.

The big ones at an angle are worked by positioning yourself to look at them from further away, behind other things, that will obscure parts of the fence. If you solved everything inside the temple, a few smaller panels will have given off the same kind of vibe.

I'm looking forward to playing that.

Does it get more brutal than Stephen's Sausage Roll?

Jonathan Blow has his head far up his ass

It’s my favorite game of all time.

Hmm I'll try going back there but... I don't think I'll find that place so quickly

At least the game only cites other people's pocket philosophical works and meanderings, and not anything he's written himself, outside of that one video after the credits-hotel.

That's not true. Talos puzzles are made by a collection of loosely related mechanics with little synergy, most of the times the puzzles are just iterations of previous concepts with more steps added on, instead of each puzzle being an exploration of the medium they are on (like The Witness). The worst thing is, it feels like every mechanic was already explored in other games. The jammer/reflector interactions, which are basically the core of the game are very simple and have equivalents in many other "lock and key" type of puzzle games. That thing that could make them shiny here is the third dimension, but it is barely explored, most of the game could be translated into a 2D top-down game with little loss.
Portal 2 (and the first game too) are very, very basic. The games are completely focus tested to appeal to people that are not fans of puzzle games. The hook of the games are interesting, but it is a game more interested in keeping a "flow state" rather than presenting actually challenging puzzles.

haven't played SSR but I found baba to be a chore at times, sometimes you load a new level up and just seeing all the possibilities is an overload.

Can someone explain this one for me? I'm just completing it by drawing random lines to the end spot

Attached: shot_2019.07.21__time_14_28_n01.jpg (1779x1001, 368K)

That's how I sometimes feel about open world action-adventures.

I loved baba is you! Hard but very gratifying

If I'm not wrong, you have to group them by pairs of the same color. Also, this is the worst area of the game. Way too many puzzles and most are not interesting.

>most of the game could be translated into a 2D top-down game with little loss.
As much as I adore TTP, that's my main gripe with the game and Croteam games in general: everything is fucking flat and angular.
Pretty much 99% of the puzzle rooms are made up of walls at 90° angles and barely any elevation with the only exception I can think of being the crater and circular temple puzzles from the DLC Egypt world.

Attached: 20170808225643_1.jpg (1920x1080, 610K)

This ONE or those TWO?

The rules are the same. Those spikey fuckers gotta be separated into pairs of two. Of matching color. Doesn't matter which path you find for achieving that.

They're very quick and easy though, and with several of them, the point is that you're supposed to think they aren't interesting, until you find out that they do more than just one thing.

Ok thanks bros, Also how can I return to the start area? I'm completely lost, took the boat and ended up here

The problem is that like three of them do the other thing, all the other puzzles are basically just filler.

The mechanics in Talos don't have to be related to add variety to the puzzles.
>most of the times the puzzles are just iterations of previous concepts with more steps added on
That's literally what The Witness does and it does so in the most uninteresting way imaginable
Talos at least adds entirely new layers of depth for each item the puzzle contains. Nothing changes in the typical puzzle solving strategy in the Witness as more gets added on to them
>instead of each puzzle being an exploration of the medium they are on
How does this affect variety?
>The jammer/reflector interactions, which are basically the core of the game
They are NOT the core of the game. Sure, there are a lot of puzzles with them but if you've played the game you'd know that there are also a good number of puzzles that don't use it at all

Yeah the boat can take you back

Go back to the boat and sail around. You'll have a good time understanding the layout of the island better.

You'll be unfolding a bridge back to the main island, as the final thing you do where you're at now.

Basically, but they teach you the concept of the rules and how "flexible" those rules are, while serving the purpose of getting you think that you're moving at a brisk pace and need not pay attention. But then sudddenly you do. I dig that.

Tetris puzzles were a joke.

As in, they were easy? Or stupid? Or funny?

The Witness introduces new things to offer the player a general view of the new rules, and then works on to more specific things into "edge-cases" of how the rule interacts with the "draw the line" medium. There is usually a very small "possibility-space" for each puzzle end they can be completed and very few steps (there are big puzzles using lots of rules too, but they are mostly optional). Talos introduces new mechanics like The Witness, develop them a bit and them it introduces new mechanics and mashes them together without ever fully developing them. So most of end-game puzzles feel like the same thing you have been doing since the mid-game, but with extra steps added, while the core for each part of the puzzle remains basic. The challenge is to decompose the large puzzles into individual pieces and then connect them back in the right order. I feel like this approach is fundamentally artificial. I also don't like how the game uses more actors (the clones and other guys in the tower) to even further this philosophy. Talos puzzles are more breadth than depth. There are some puzzles in the game, but most are not, I feel like what what most people like about the game is the story anyway, not the depth of the puzzles.
And yeah, there are puzzles without jammers and reflectors, but they are the connective tissue that holds all the mechanics together. Pretty much all of the more complex puzzles use at least the reflectors.

what do???

Attached: shot_2019.07.21__time_14_59_n02.jpg (1779x1001, 189K)

Sun glare.

God you are so far up your games ass you're literally mistaking arbitrary rules for depth.
>Talos introduces new mechanics like The Witness, develop them a bit and them it introduces new mechanics and mashes them together without ever fully developing them
I'm starting to think you never played The Talos Principle

nice

Attached: 1526122940168.jpg (680x941, 90K)