Why doesn't no one use the id tech engine...

Why doesn't no one use the id tech engine? The few games that use it run better than anything at better quality on my mediocre gaming laptop

Attached: carmack.jpg (1024x1024, 74K)

It's proprietary. It's a fantastic engine, and it works well with Vulkan but it's only developed and used by ID Software games.

Probably Bethesda/Zenimax being jewish about it as they own id Software.
>what is wolfenstein the new order, the old blood, the new collosus, youngblood etc that is developed by machinegames from sweden
>what is the evil within developed by japs at tango
>what is dishonored 2 using fork of id tech developed by arkane

If you’re an indie, forget about it. Way too expensive. Then it’s only accessible to AAA studios. But they have their own engines which they spent a lot of money to build. If you have frostbite you’re not going to get an Id license. If you have the money but not an engine, then the a chance you’ll buy the id engine. It’s pretty niche because it’s so expensive.

It’s like asking why aren’t more people driving Mercs, since they’re so great to drive

Maybe a better question then would be why are Bethesda being retarded and sat on a goldmine that they could license out all over the place? Seems like a waste to make an engine that barely gets used.

Makes their games look better ckmpared to other trash

>I don’t understand how licensing works
>I don’t understand how engine development works
>why don’t the make game with boobies so my peepee gets happy

the real question is why haven't they had id help them with elder scrolls / fallout games

>we could be having Doom and Wolfenstein mods to extend their lifespan
>we just get Snapmap for Doom and absolutely no fucking mod support otherwise

Major studios usually create their own engines, nobody else is allowed to use them.

The main reason major studios use their own engines is because if you use someone elses engine they can easily disassemble your entire game to steal code and replicate it, Epic did this with PUBG and got Fortnite out before anyone else could for instance.

R&D for a game is one of the most difficult aspects, if another company can steal it they can easily replicate your killer game in 5-6 months.

id helped bethesda making the whole shooting system for Fallout 4 iirc

No wonder that's the only part of the game that actually improved.

Given that Epic games is 45% owned by China and China are prolific thieves of tech and are trying to build a massive game creation industry, anyone using Unreal Engine that put a lot into R&D for technological advancements in video games is fucking retarded.

kek

yes, all first person shooters, you proved part of his point

It formed the basis of quite a few games during its heyday. It was a solid engine, highly efficient at what it could do... but poor at general development at times, namely for its trouble with large outdoor areas due to the BSP format. Eventually, toolkits like Unreal came about, which were easier to use for any type of game rather than something that had to be pounded in to work for what you wanted.

Remember too that GoldSRC and the Source engine are both derivatives of idtech, and all the games that used those engines are based on idtech by extention.

As for modern idtech engines, they've been reduced to in-house engines only, following older design paradigms. They're usually a performance first focused engine and usability second, resulting in longer times for devs to learn how to use the engine and more time spent tailoring it for their uses. Compare this to Unreal, Unity, et al, which have greater inefficiencies but a wider array of stuff their functions can innately be used for. For a dev, it's more crucial nowadays to get your game out the door and onto shelves and simply tune it does so it looks "good enough" rather than eke out every ounce of power from the old PCs and consoles you're developing for.

Attached: 51ab911319dfb90f123e4ddb888971b5.jpg (944x1704, 169K)

Because, at least in my experience, Id Tech 3's coding and naming conventions are shit and the code is hard to read. It's a fucking nightmare to work in this thing. For example, they literally have a function called "va", with no explanation.

forgot to add
>but hey, maybe things have changed in the latest versions

How do you even get started compiling an old id tech engine with a modern compiler? I haven't fiddled around with the source code to anything in a long while, but I remember having to get a compiler from the same era as the engine to actually get it to compile right.

>I remember having to get a compiler from the same era as the engine to actually get it to compile right.
That's what I do when I occasionally work on it. I basically have a folder with lcc and shit.

You don't understand how a service is supposed to service the most amount of people. Money being an issue is just that. An issue and those that would stifle innovation for a shekel deserve neither.

Because UE4 and Unity have free tools that you can download and learn without paying a dime. When you're a project manager the possibility of recruiting people who already know the tech stack is far more alluring than having the same people learn ins and outs of a rarely used engine.