Wait, why did he fail the cointoss?

Wait, why did he fail the cointoss?

Attached: SOMA2.jpg (1920x1080, 300K)

There wasn't a coin toss.

Attached: A lot of thinking.jpg (500x508, 17K)

there was never any cointoss, the cointoss was a bad metaphor. consciousness was never transferred, only a new duplicate created. the game choosing the perspectives that it did, when it did, was purely aside from the characters experience, for effect in telling the story.

There was never a cointoss it only seems that way from the perspective of the observer since they retain the illusion of unbroken consciousness because of their copied memories, they same way you transition from the doctors office to the sea station despite your human self actually going on to die from cancer.

You were lied to so you would launch the ark instead of throwing a big existential fit.

Catherine also died and was replaced with a copy every time you moved her to a new device and probably every time you turned her off as well, she had unbelievable willpower, facing the terror of the void over and over again and going through with it knowing it meant death every single time.

Look brainlets, no one gives a fuck about your first existential crises analogy. Why the FUCK was there a big deal about anything? We already knew there were ways you could easily transfer conscious, and if the body was essentially immortal whats the big fuckin deal about being on some stupid arc.
>b-but the world was destroyed

BULL FUCKING SHIT, it said an ASTEROID hit the planet, who gives a fuck if 99% of biological life ceases to function, you could still walk up to the surface of the earth in your mechanical fucking body and just explore the remnants of the old world and repair technology just like you did in the game. Why was he throwing a hissy fit when he is essentially been given immortality of he just keeps a power source stable and some spare silicon meshes for conciseness transfers. Look, i get they need SOME sort of tension to keep the story moving along, but anyone with an iota of intelligence can figure out very quickly that the technology present is more important than the shitty computer game they transferred into. They dont breath, eat, or DIE. You have a conciseness that has the power to outlive the global extinction event, which is NOTHING NEW by the way, the game treats this like a big deal when the earth had like 5 of these already. If they really wanted to save the fucking human race, they would have just used the FUCKING IMMORTAL MACHINE TECH to OUTLIVE EVERYTHING and store a couple sperm/egg banks for a couple thousand years later until the atmosphere clears up and plants can grow again. There human race solved and a clear objective/meaning to life for the protagonist. but naw, lets just fucking wank off at the bottom of the ocean and launch a satellite (WHAT THE FUCK) from there too

I'd absolutely rather be fucking dead than alone trapped at the bottom of the fucking ocean forever.

The entire planet was on fire. It was basically a molten slag with oceans after the asteroid hit.

The trouble is that the human-machine interface that lets you interact with the real world is imperfect and slowly corrupts your virtualised brain due the the disparity between your original natural human body and the virtual nervous system of the given machine you're controlling, this drives you insane over time as more and more bad input accumulates in your digital synapses, so your gift of immortality eventually becomes a sentence to never-ending torment.

Because Simon is too dense to figure out what "copying" means. Apparently, so are you

This only matters because said consciousnesses believe they are still human. Catherine and Dr. What's-his-ass are fine since they're aware of their cyborganic state. Simon and Catherine could've just broadcasted a PSA saying "hey, you're robots now, get over it" be at least some of the other people there might've been able to come to terms with it.

>tfw you will never be simon(copy).exe and have a romantic love life.cfg with catherine(copy).exe on the ark as it floats through space

Never played SOMA. Never going to play SOMA. Know the twist. Will say this. It embodies my greatest fear regarding human technological progress. And what horrifies me more is that many people I've tried to argue with don't seem to even understand that being copy/pasted doesn't mean that the new them wouldn't be them. They are fundamentally unable to conceive of the concept that two identical things can exist without being the same thing. And this seems to be some matter where you can't explain it to them. It's like someone failing a mirror test.

you can walk out of the ocean, or fucking FLOAT UP you lazy cunt
fire does not lasts forever, the planet will reach an equilibrium and the fire will die out
This is the only half reasonable argument here. However its overturned, biology degrades at a much faster pace than anything digitally due to the fact you can easily replace new "meshes" in this sci-fi world. This madness leading to everlasting torment already happens to everyone, its called old age. Which is why im so fucking pissed off everyone glosses over the most IMPORTANT SCIENTIFIC DEVELOPMENT over the fucking memes of the Ark. The narrative really guides brainless and makes it seem like consciences is a big fucking deal when the true Chads of tech recognize the importance of developing "mockingbirds" of complete conciseness immersion.

Even if you come to terms with it you're still going to get all fucked up over time due to a brain running on metal facing memory bottlenecks and increased latency that a mind on meat doesn't have, your entire sense and scale of time will always be wrong and your reality will seem to be in a perpetual state of disorienting flux, that is if corrosion or simple hardware failure don't destroy your mind first.

This isn't a problem in the Ark since the environment is completely virtual and the speed of the simulation can be slowed down enough to eliminate bottlenecks so that time appears to be contiguous for all the minds experiencing it.

I like the skepticism here of how much the systems could fuck up. However this is not reflected in the slightest in the actual game. In fact, the robotics seemed more comfortable to live in than the actual bodies. Often you would run into people that are nothing but a memory chip, but not only are they ok with it, it doesn't even affect them in the slightest mentally. This was the actual scary or most unnerving part of the game, not the monsters.

How the fuck could I float up when my body is made out of metal, dipshit. Not to mention the horrific sea creatures surrounding the station on all sides.

Reminder that the WAU was getting better at it's job of rebuilding humanity and this is stated multiple times in the game. If you just leave it alone it'll save mankind.

Stick around in these threads, they always devolve into those people you mentioned getting laughed at by the rest of us.

I'm not sure Simon was even going to be able to get out of that chair, I thought he was restrained in it by parts that needed power to move

The game tried to be Amnesia but with a nihilistic twisty 2spook4u shitfest.
I have no idea why brainlets even pretend to like the game.

>cancer
lol

Theres a fucking emergency craft you take in the game, goddamn it, you really think an underwater facility will have zero equivalents to a fucking matjack? Yeah your probably 300-400 pounds but who cares just grab a whole bunch

What are you talking about? You can't "fail" a coin toss, you lose a coin toss. There's no reason, it's called luck.

Didn't every transport he used end up crashing? Wasn't it all back up above the deep depths he wouldn't be able to get out of anymore without Catherine?

what do you mean why? you baiting?

this is just Op being a fag and starting these threads in the traditional way. Thats always how SOMA threads start. Someone pretends to be a brainlet and asks BUT WHAT ABOUT MUH COINTOSS even though it wasn't a cointoss and never was

Im not saying to drag a whole wrecked ship to the surface, just salvage shit with low density, or grab 100 fucking life jackets i dont give a fuck its an UNDERWATER FACILITY theres going to be shit with low density

Shock, Denial
Anger
Bargaining
You're almost there user, just got to get through depression

>only vidya characters i share name with is a gay whip in leather and this canadian leaf

Attached: 1211598043.jpg (616x699, 36K)

Yeah that's not going to work. Remember He's way deep under the ocean there, so that your 'low density' shit might just get crushed

Not sure if retarded (like Simon) or just pretending.
There never was a coin toss, that was just Cathy's shitty explanation to keep Simons going.

That seems solvable by simply restoring a backup mind every so often to a new machine, so long as said mind is able to realize its perpetual state of flux of being recreated and destroyed ad nasium. That's a lot of "deaths" of consciousness, but it really won't matter if the mind views itself as continual steps throughout history towards a more perfect creation. As more and more knowledge is gleaned on the whole process, the length of time before requiring a reboot will increase, eventually to a point where such a thing will be next to eternity before needing one.

There's a number of upsides to this if a mind is capable of realizing "death" doesn't matter anymore and it can continue to pursue a goal indefinitely if it has one in mind.

so what you're saying is that every time we go to sleep we are dying and being replaced by a new consciousness when we wake up that picks up the cognitive threads we left it from the day before

I actually lived through severe meningitis as a child and this is how I reconcile my memories from before and after my recovery. It's like the original me just died one day and I popped into existence at the exact same time to replace him, none of my memories from before feel like they belong to me, the mindset is completely alien.