What went wrong?

what went wrong?

Attached: 463805-street-fighter-x-tekken-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg (800x800, 149K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KLQ1aCOSQos
youtube.com/watch?v=ghzBQn6QI6s
youtube.com/watch?v=64DNpYiqlEc
youtube.com/watch?v=1QoqP0-dCaM
youtube.com/watch?v=Grlck4PpWpw
youtube.com/watch?v=wCm4WhHA1JM
youtube.com/watch?v=vAhrRBKkxuQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tekken was included

nothing, this game is great desu

Capitalism.
Also making Megaman le meme man.

SPBP

post-2013 patch SFxT is fun

Legitimately lazy mechanical design and balancing, the worst case of on-disc DLC ever attempted, and a gaggle of joke/shill characters between the 3 (three) PS3-exclusive characters and having Mega Man's first appearance in a fighting game since MvC2 be a joke right after Capcom cancelled like 3 Mega Man games. Real shame, I grew up on Tekken and love Capcom's crossover fighters. It just didn't hold my interest for more than a couple months.

SFxT made me swear off of pre-orders for 6 years until I went for it on Dragonball FighterZ.

The best part of the game was how the Tekken cast was translated into a 2D game though.
Probably true but the game not having a decent meta until the following calendar year of its release fucked it over.

Attached: 1516246038174.png (576x609, 426K)

>SFxT made me swear off of pre-orders for 6 years until I went for it on Dragonball FighterZ

my condolences

This. I fucking love sfxt

It was ahead of its time.

I actually enjoyed playing FighterZ though, and its DLC wasn't locked away on the disc. It disappointed me in the sense that it didn't fill the void Marvel 3 left, but it's still a great game despite some issues I have with the meta.

>tfw no fighting game since SFxT has done co-op play justice

DBFZ party mode is fun but the netcode ruins it all

Attached: 1446344436517.jpg (424x370, 21K)

>I actually enjoyed playing FighterZ though
everybody did for like the first month until we all realized how shallow the game is, that's why the game is dying so quick, went from being the most popular game on Evo last year to what this year? 5th?

Pre-2013 SfxT was pure garbage.

The trailers were kino, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=KLQ1aCOSQos
youtube.com/watch?v=ghzBQn6QI6s
youtube.com/watch?v=64DNpYiqlEc
youtube.com/watch?v=1QoqP0-dCaM
youtube.com/watch?v=Grlck4PpWpw

>SFxT made me swear off of pre-orders for 6 years until I went for it on Dragonball FighterZ.

Attached: D9YcJppUEAE_2Sb.jpg large.jpg (625x498, 35K)

>complains about SFxT balancing
>plays DBFZ

how's Bardock and Goku (GT) treating you m8?

This. The game is cool but I really hate the meta.

Also this. The game could have been amazing but shit like adult Gohan, bardock, dlc price and other details fucked the entire experience

still the best opening in fighting games history

youtube.com/watch?v=wCm4WhHA1JM

This. I pre-ordered it on the strength of these trailers alone. The music, the animation, the Water & Oil motif, they nailed it here. The Arcade endings with the canon pairings were fun too.

Hugo/Poison vs King/Marduk was the best trailer, but GOTTA GO GOTTA GO GOTTA GET WITH IT OH MY MY KNOCK ME OUT AGAIN was the best song.

I was actually hoping for a 4 player mode like that in BBTAG too.

Dlc ruined it. Lack of modes... Still a decent game when pirated with full dlc.

>Still a decent game when pirated with full dlc

pirate when the best thing about it is playing online?

The only thing I find shallow about it is the team-building meta. Not enough characters have assists & Z Changes that facilitate characters that require backup to function, forcing those characters into a niche and giving those characters with good broad synergy too great of a platform, then of course Bardock has been nerfed like 6 times and has been Top 2 on every tier list since he came out anyway.

Not bad. Currently run Broly/Jiren/GT Goku and Zamasu/Jiren/Gotenks.

Attached: 1533529660892.png (1175x659, 430K)

Notice the part where he said
>Lack of modes
You simply can't take those people seriously.

30 60 90 was probably the laziest attempt at balance in a fighting game I've seen.

The best Tekken game ever made imo, I always liked the Tekken characters visually, I think they have a lot of style so being in a game with good gameplay for once is a big plus for me.

First impressions are life or death for fighting games. SFxT at launch was buggy, had on disk DLC, terrible balancing and outright unfinished mechanics. They patched it and fixed most things but it was too little too late.

Remember him?
He was actually really fun.

>"What about the big bodies like Gief & Hugo?"
>"40 70 100"
The absolute state of it.

Attached: latest[1].jpg (420x593, 56K)

Every fighting game Capcom has put out since SFIV has felt rushed to fuck, and even then SFIV took a couple revisions to hit its comfort zone.

Random as hell pick but Infamous 2 was sick anyway so I was fine with it.

Monster Hunter producer is now in charge of the fighting games division of Capcom so the next game is probably going to be good.

God let it be a new Darkstalkers please.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAJUelWRWBs'
Game was a legit mess
The DLC, gems and esports fiasco where just the cherry on the shit cake.

Gems.

If they made a sequel without them I’d be set for fighting games.

Juri/Bryan main btw

The gem system was just absolute garbage.

Anybody who likes Juri is fine in my book.

Ono is the only one pushing hard for a new Darkstalkers, so if he's in a lower position then the dream really is dead. A lot of people in Capcom DO like Darkstalkers, but it's just kind of understood that the budget required to do it as good as they and the fans want it to be isn't there.

>Make new Darkstalkers in 3D
>Spend a ton of money on high-quality animation to replicate the originals
>Triple that budget for Demitri to model and animate Midnight Bliss versions of the entire cast
>Game gets bad press in the west because of Midnight Bliss anyway

I was playing Poison/Steve but I never got to try any of the DLC. Might've ended up playing Poison/Jack-X.

From what I saw, Lei had a really good translation into 2D despite his insane number of stances.

How do you feel about SF5’s Juri? It had great concepts but I mean the pinwheel kick was a staple.

>capcom game ruined by greed
Wow what a shocker.

It sucks how the FGC distances itself from teams (actual teams not the taking turns shit) in tag games.

>SFxT
>TTT2

both more entertaining in pair play mode. The only fighting game i'm looking forward to nowadays is Cerebrawl precisely because it has that mode. MvCI should have had it and MvC4 better have it.

There isn't a better time for a new Darkstalkers desu, Capcom is on some kind of a renaissance right now and every game they released in the past year or so has been a hit.

Tekken x Street Fighter never ever

>The only fighting game i'm looking forward to nowadays is Cerebrawl precisely because it has that mode.
I'm more excited for the OST but the co-op focus is cool too.

i played a beta version of the game at a gaming expo here in the uk
it was before gems were added into the game - and damage was higher. We barely ever timed out and the game was genuinely really fun

>people told me not to be upset marvel was leaving because we had dragonball
>people genuinely tried to compare the depth of dragonball to marvel because marvel has a meme about being simple despite the oki and neutral in the game being fucking insane

GAMEfest 2011?
I also played it at that. Enjoyed it but the retail version is one of my most hated of all time

Shit taste MOBA babby detected. Team mode is exactly the kind of dumb retarded shit they shoved into the EVO to distract how bad SFxT was at release.

Yeah it was, me and my friend were on for a long time as we didnt lose.
first game i ever played chun in and liked her a lot. simpler times.

I still think gems as a concept isn't a bad idea, it needed to be toned down a bit though and also fit the game aesthetically too. Dunno how Fighting Ex Layer handles it's similar system.

Fucked up balance and pushback to at launch led to a game that made it really easy to bully casual players.
On-disc dlc that was mostly complete and made up a significant percentage of the roster.
A DLC powerup system that the game designers clearly wanted to be interesting and Capcom higher-ups and PMs clearly wanted to be a way to be pay to win and grind blood from the stone.

I miss the multiplayer dramatic battle with high juggle potential, though. Tons of goofy shit went on in there.

When Seth was forced to lie multiple times to defend it, it became clear where capcom was headed in regards to fighting games. It was totally unsurprising when they fucked over combofiend as well.

Gems
Balance
Cover Art Mega Man would have been a cool joke character if Capcom didn't shit on the Megaman fanbase repeatedly right before releasing the game

FEXL's Gougi system has more specific triggers for each effect, and has each set have a balance of decent buffs for simple stuff (dash X times, activates X seconds into the round, hit X normals) and insane effects for harder conditions.

It's probably not completely balanced but it's a system designed much more for fun than Gems.

Gems were retarded.

Mad simpler times my dude. Me and my old friend went, got 3ds street passes for thr first time. Laughed at some fat guy dressed as naurto and played a bunch of sf x t

that friend killed himself last week, I had not spoken to him in about 5 years and it's a odd kind of feel

Then why did it sell like shit, thus making Tekken X Street Fighter impossible to be released?

Eh, they just recently fucked up Infinite.
But that was due to some odd visuals and Disney's MCU push making a proper roster and story near impossible.

feelsbadman
the friend i went with is still the only dude i really play fighting games with. yeah 3ds street passes, i forgot about those, had mine with me too

The suits way at the top are only interested in making games that look like they'll make decent money. We'll get another Darkstalkers port but I don't see a new game any time soon.

Even now, with ArcSys basically not giving a shit about it at this point, I hope that BBTAG would get a four-player mode. I'm certain that after implementing it into DBFZ, they could do it for BBTAG as well.

I thought it was okay from the last time I played it, but recently I've seen a lot of people really like this game. Does the PC version have all the updates? I don't feel like plugging in my xbox 360 to play it.

Attached: 1555035828163.png (567x437, 274K)

Yeah, that was some fucking garbage. Remind me why the exploits were allowed? MvC2 had lots of bugs but I thought generally you'd get disqualified if you fucked around with them in a tournament.

There is every chance if I dust off my old 3ds you'll be in my street passes right at the back. Small world

I think Capcom and a lot of people out there see Darkstalkers as crossover fodder these days. I'd be fine with it if I wasn't kind of sick of seeing Morrigan everywhere. The shocking level of care that went into Jedah in MvCi made me wish the series had more diverse representation in crossovers.

Thankfully there's signs that Demitri will get to be a Deck Hero in a future Teppen expansion, since he only appears on one card, and only as the recipient of an attack, while every other Darkstalker has a card with them as the primary focus. I'd say that he, Nero, & Jill are locks.

Is there any character sadder than Demitri Maximoff?
>be main character of fighting game series
>everyone recognizes Morrigan
>no-one knows Demitri

tekken characters were cucked and had to be played like sf characters

And it all comes down to the Vs series staff disliking him. He actually appears in a bunch of crossovers, but none of them were nearly as big as the Vs series, which always excluded him, picking people like Anakaris and Hsien-ko, before ever going with him.

Too many characters on release.
DLC on disk even with the huge fucking roster.
Games took forever.
Pandora mode was ass. Not even pro players used it.
Gems were fine but too complicated for online play and linked to the cash shop for some fucking stupid reason. You could get them free but this just made people think it was P2W
Online sucked ass like it always does. When will fighting games stop using P2P and get actual fucking servers?

I'll miss you Julia. Your fullscreen high-low mixup was awesome.

Attached: Julia-Chang.png (198x437, 86K)

>Does the PC version have all the updates?

Yes, but you still gotta go through with GFWL if you want to play online.

Was it the fact Midnight Bliss would have taken too much work in their eyes?
I remember they were reaching sprite limits for a lot of their stuff.

When I say online play I mean competitive play.

They don't dislike him. It's that the effort, time, and money it takes to do Midnight Bliss on larger crossover rosters has gotten more and more out of reach, and they'd rather not put him in than fuck him up.

Capcom Fighting Jam was a sprite dump game outside of Ingrid so they put in Demitri with Midnight Bliss, and even then it wasn't animated. They just did a single still image for each character.

Hsien-ko is acceptable.

Demitri is cool visually but gameplay wise he's just another boring shoto, I don't see the point of putting him in a game that already has Ryu when there are a lot more interesting DS characters to work with it.

Tekken 5 happened which allowed the series create bundles of shit whenever it felt like it.
Tekken 4 chad here.

MvC2 was so rushed it didn't have time to have stages from actual Capcom/Marvel locations or character themes. There was absolutely zero chance that they would make 56 fucking Midnight Bliss animations (55 really since there's two Wolverines).

>Still better than SFV and T7
What went wrong indeed

Unless you're talking about the scramble mode, the Tekken Tag games have a mode called Pair Play. P2 will be on P1's team instead of being the opponent.

Anakaris has an attack that turns people into animals, each one with their personalized transformation, but when they included him in MvC2, they just made it give everyone a generic transformation. They easily could have done the same for Demitri, but they just never cared.

Gems, stupid as fuck jank before the patch.

He has a dashing diagonal uppercut and a teleporting diagonal downwards drill, as well as a command throw. They could outright remove his standard uppercut and focus more on the stuff that makes him unique.

I'm surprised Capcom don't just take inspiration from King of Fighters and just cannibalise all of their obscure fighting games into Street Fighter. Like just stick Morrigan and a bunch of Star Gladiator and Rival Schools characters into SF6.

The point is that if they do Demitri, they want to do Midnight Bliss, and if they do Midnight Bliss, they want to do it right. No point if they cop out like that.

Isn't Morrigan very shoto-y? She's got the hadoken and shoryuken and everything

well Strider Hiryu's in SF now as of V

>Morrigan
Stop. If you're going to add DS characters to Street Fighter, don't just add a shoto with an airdash. Grab some of the weirdos with unique playstyles; even Felicia would be fine.

That'd imply that Capcom cares about Rival Schools and Power Stone and whatever else.

Like, did Capcom have anything to do with Fighting EX Layer in the end or did the dev do it by themselves?

Nah one of the best things about the Street Fighter series is that they keep the roster clean of stupid guests characters (outside of Final Fight but since Final Fight was originally going to be released as Street Fighter 1989 it makes sense).

>Like, did Capcom have anything to do with Fighting EX Layer in the end or did the dev do it by themselves?
All ARIKA. They developed SFEX in the first place and own the original characters from it, so they just made a new game in that style without Capcom's characters.

ARIKA is a weird company. Their two claims to fame are Street Fighter EX and some of the most highly-acclaimed Tetris games among Tetris experts.

I'd rather they just make a fighting game with just Capcom characters as a separate series from street fighter.
I dunno, just call it Capcom All Stars Vs or something.

Zeku already existed in the SF universe though, all they did was give him a few Strider references that are nothing more than references, Strider is literally never mentioned by name.

This. Fuck dealing with licenses, Capcom has more than enough.

Attached: Capcom Vs All-Stars.png (1917x1078, 2.55M)

They probably wanted to have Ryu or something as a guest just like Terry, who knows it might still happen.

>ARIKA is a weird company. Their two claims to fame are Street Fighter EX and some of the most highly-acclaimed Tetris games among Tetris experts.
Arika was literally founded by most of the developers from SFII, which is you know one of the biggest and most iconic fighting game ever made.

>team mode is dumb
It really isn't though. sure you have to play less characters at once but that means you can focus more on matchups and coordinating with your teammates by layering mixups. It's also probably the most effective way of teaching newer players how to hold their own next to in-game tutorials because they pay close attention to what the partner character AND opponent is doing

>must be a moba babby even though every other competitive genre is team based

If you don't like it just stick to 1v1 games which are still good but there's pretty much no reason why a tag game shouldn't have co-op especially when team tournaments exist that are just players taking turns to go up and play..

Attached: tumblr_mo91f5bEqO1r2g7mto1_500.jpg (500x371, 35K)

I see. Another one of those "Guys who worked on iconic game(s) left big company to make their own studio" situations.

Yeah, I don't get why Capcom acts like Marvel Vs gameplay wouldn't sell with a pure Capcom cast. Fight Jam was something entirely different.

Hm, in retrospect Bass.exe's copy powers can make him a pretty good way to represent the whole series as he can basically just pull anyting and just say "lol, getability"

pretty much every SF itineration was made by different people

SF1 was made by God knows who
SF2 was made by what is now known as Arika
SF Alpha was made by Itsuno and his team (who went to make Rival Schools after)
SF3 was made by a team of young talent who were all laid off from Capcom after the game bombed, and then went on to make Yatagarasu a game that was played by nobody
SF4 was made by Dimps, famous developers of Dragon Ball games
and then you have SFV which was codeveloped by an internal team at Capcom and Dimps

Capcom just published Killer7 but I'd definitely take 'em in a fighting game.

He's also very popular in Japan, IIRC he's their favorite character in the series.

>and its DLC wasn't locked away on the disc
no it was just cut out and locked on namcos servers instead. essentially the same thing.

Can Capcom just get Eighting to make their fighting games for them again? Please?

They own the IP. The Steam port still has the Capcom logo when you boot it.

Ah, ok.

They outright own killer7, they're just nice and willing to let Suda use the characters for other stuff.

Attached: 540230-killer7tsa.jpg (1280x720, 116K)

This. They made TvC & UMvC3, two of the best fighting games ever made. Niitsuma also needs to produce another fighting game. Apparently he's been working on mobile games since development on Marvel 3 ended.

Instead of making a Vs game with just Capcom characters, they should make it play like Power Stone

SF6 will be made by Arc System Works

screencap this post

>SF1 was made by God knows who
The dude who directed Fatal Fury was sniped by SNK after finishing SF1 IIRC

makes sense, but SF1 wasn't a very good game so I don't know why SNK would want him

>Too many characters on release.
This is your brain on fighting games.

Attached: 1338139017194.jpg (165x231, 9K)

They probably saw potential in the genre and grabbed a man with experience from a competitor to get in on it. Fatal Fury was for sure a better game than SF1 so he must've learned from the experience.

SF1 was shit but back then there wasn't much better for fightan games.

Does that mean sprites could return?

>2019
>sprites

lmao

Yeah, but she's a girl which makes the cast appear more visually diverse.

that would be awful.
good thing it wont happen.

I mean when your best competition is like Yie Ar Kung Fu, SF1 is probably looking pretty nice.

>modern ASW
>making sprites that aren't either hot garbage or reused from decade old games
Ha!

What was the best fighting game of the late 80s, actually? Double Dragon's Vs mode? International Karate on the C64?

Probably Yie Ar Kung Fu honestly. I know some oldfags who swear by it.

nothing

its funny thinking about the tekken side of the roster now that t7 is a thing; raven and julia? dragunov and feng should probably have gotten in too

i like that julia had abs in sfxt

which tekken character translated best to the game? which ones are the most fun to play? who's the best and/or most fun mishima

Going with T3/Tag Yoshimitsu was a pretty sick call though.

>which tekken character translated best to the game?
A lot of them translated well. Strings from the game made into target combos or natural chains or even special moves.
>most fun to play?
Personally, Steve is my favorite boxer in a 2D fighting game. I love what they did with him; his Ducking is way more fun than Dudley's, I like how they gave him a weird fast Gadouken, Sonic Fang feels great in combos, and his stances have a lot to play around with, especially Flicker. On top of that, all of his standing Kick normals are just dodges.
>best and/or most fun mishima
IIRC Heihachi is pretty good, as is Jin considering he can just put a big-ass orb in certain parts of the screen when playing neutral. The fact that you can do true EWGFs to do a better version despite just being able to do a DP for a basic one is cool.

capcom did bryan weird in this game, they made him a psycho brute, which he is personality wise, but they made his fighting like that too, when's he a relatively refined kickboxer; always bugged me they did that

also bugs me that nina got chain throws but king didn't except for his super

oh yeah i forgot marduk got in too
yeah that was cool, ogre was cool too; i loved that gill costume he got

so did tekken x sf actually get canceled or is it still supposedly happening?

It's not that I don't want them, they blew their entire budget making 50 fucking characters - most of which were never used again as half are Tekken Characters. They could have reduced the roster by half and spaced the releases out like a MOBA and kept the hype going. They botched everything though by putting DLC on the disk and not patching the game how people wanted. I remember people were complaining about the matches taking so long and what do they do? Fuck with throws a little bit. What the actual fuck were they doing? It's like Capcom got a little money to make a game and they blew their load all over SF x T and nothing but embarrassment came from it. I don't know why they thought it would be so big? Tekken is popular but not huge, I remember it was a big deal when evo got over 1k entries. Why would it sell games when casual people only buy it for the 3d models?

As soon as they keep an actual team around to patch the game like every other e-sports game out there, it will gain popularity.

I remember thinking the Yie Ar Kung Fu characters were unbalanced as fuck which is impressive when their movesets were so simple.

>tfw reminded of bad boxart megaman after blocking it for years
jesus christ what were they thinking? that was the same year legends 3 got canceled and how megaman didn't get into mvc right?

Akuma is in the game. So there is that.

>Implying Midnight Bliss is the only thing that would inflate the budget
Half the cast can't even dash or jump without doing all sorts of shapeshifting.

Attached: ds-huitzil-intro.gif (173x140, 39K)

>jedah was the best part of mvci
maybe we'll get a new darkstalkers character every time they release a new mvc, and after like a century they can toss them all in to the same game

Its sad that a character who got a pointless redesign and got censored to hell and back can be considered the best part of the game. That's how awful MvCI was.

I think I remember seeing something about finally going on indefinite hiatus recently, but I'd have to double check.

Gamora and Thanos had no unique interactions at all. Why? Why was this game fun to play but looked like absolute shit.
Where the fuck are the x-men?

when you have a character do this, it isn't that hard to be the best
youtube.com/watch?v=vAhrRBKkxuQ

They should keep adding the DS characters that are cheaper to animate but haven't had 3D models yet (like Talbain, who was planned for Marvel 3 at one point, or BB Hood) to Vs games and then once they have enough they can reuse the models for Darkstalkers 4 and put all the budget into the expensive portion of the cast.

Match times, half of every fight I had ended with a time out.

Mismanagement from the capcom side and Disney pushing the MCU at the expense of all other things ever.

I got into this game and bought my first fightstick with it, moved to sf4 when it got stale.
Though I found a Nina/Lili player online and partnered with my Vega, was fun.

Well they own them again. So maybe even with the fuckup that was MvC:I they will let them use them again. I just never got why Capcom could never time their release to be around the same time a huge marvel movie dropped. Why not advertise rocket and groot when guardians 2 dropped? or take advantage of thanos and gamora for the endgame release? Nope just release the game randomly and don't advertise at all.

mostly the visuals

The game looks better than MvC:I, Just look at Chun.

>looks better than MvC:I
Not the highest bar to set.

>No Tekken x Street Fighter yet

God, please. I just want 3D SF models that look good for once. I also want the game to be Tag Tournament 3, more or less.

bro that is in no way an achievement or a positive

This Julia >>> Streamer Julia

The SF4 model design is kind of ugly, better than MvCI but way worse than SFV. Bringing modern Tekken into the picture just wouldn't be fair.

Tag Fighters are so overrated. Almost none of them are good.

Street Fighter X Tekken: 2012 release date
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite: 2017 release date

In less than 5 years spacex has perfected repulsive landing of rockets from space. This feet was thought impossible in the past, it would be like throwing a needle off the empire state-building onto a thimble miles away.

Capcom can't make a fucking Chun face 5 years later.

Attached: 1561836801438.png (688x1000, 192K)

I don't care if they're not good competitively. I'm not that good at Tekken to care. I just want the game to be fun and have lots of things to unlock. Tekken x SF would be a wasted opportunity if it was simply a 1v1 game.

Jaycee > all others
>Tekken Tag
>Tekken Tag 2
>TvC
>UMvC3
>MvC2 (I'm one of the most critical of it but it's still good at its core despite the unbalance, bugs, and rushed visuals/music)
>DBFZ
>that Power Rangers game is the fun kind of jank
Team fighters are the best fighters because team building metas are so much fun to delve into, whether or not they're tag (KOF-style teams are good too for allowing to have both team-building and the pace of a 1v1 game for the most part). Even bad tag fighters like Marvel Infinite provided me with a couple weeks worth of lab time to play around with team synergies.