Linux has no ga-

>Linux has no ga-

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-20_11-30-30.png (1014x914, 454K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/1464#issuecomment-421997228
forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/07/17/these-windows-10-vs-pop-os-benchmarks-reveal-a-surprising-truth-about-linux-gaming-performance/
gitlab.com/leinardi/gwe
youtube.com/watch?v=4QokOwvPxrE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software
a.uguu.se/SU3UcEDk8Is2.webm
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Babbies_First_Linux
youtu.be/rCGMiT0CQAI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

mes worth playing.

>Please learn an entirely different operating system just so you can play games on your functioning one

Attached: 1554033089354.jpg (500x333, 42K)

Portal 2 and the Ubuntu Wifi drivers are still broken, so I'm switching back to 8.1 for now.
Once Proton gets better and DEs aren't trash, I think I'll switch back, though.

>actually using xfwm4 when you play games
So you just didn't notice the all-present stutter?

>"learn"
Literally go and pirate Windows or just buy a pro key for $15 and put Steam on it. There's no "learning the OS". You're never forced to do shit outside of it if you just wanna use it for Steam and playing games.

Portal 2 compatibility is your sticking point? The only games I can't play anymore are siege and apex, and it's a pretty small sacrifice to make desu.
What do you recommend? I haven't noticed any stuttering.

Call me when Proton supports VRChat

People typically switch to compton on xfce. Generally though, kwin is the most game-friendly, even though KDE is still buggy.

>Portal 2 compatibility is your sticking point?
Yes. I loved the custom maps in that game, and I've been wanting to give it another run. The native port crashes way too often, though, and Proton still can't get it running quite right.

I was on KDE, and Terraria does not cooperate with it at all. It would lose focus of my mouse and KB when I launched it, and I had to restart SDDM on a tty to regain control. I had to switch to MATE to play Terraria without any issues.

Thanks, I'll try compton.
>The native port crashes way too often
I might install Portal 2 and see how it runs, that sucks.

>WOWO look AT me playing old games on LINUX WOWOWOW da year od Linux desktop is back ohohohohoho

Mordhau is the newest game I have in my library, runs perfectly. Obviously if you want to play the newest call of duty on launch day linux isn't for you but I have been able to transition and still play all of my favorite games.

Let me know when Linux has a bigger library with better compatibility than Windows.

Oh wait.

Let me know when Windows stops reporting everything you do to glowniggers.

Yeah, the game will seem to run fine at first, but it will just randomly crash after about 15 minutes of playing. I looked up the issue on Google and on the Steam forums, and other people on Linux are having the same issues, no matter the hardware. It sucks.

Is it true that people who use Linux are mostly homosexual? Most people i know who use Linux as their main OS are huge cum eating faggots who like it up the ass.

Imagine being this scared. Maybe if you didn't jerk to lolicon shit, you wouldn't need to feel guilty

Attached: windows_7_and_8.1.jpg (695x465, 34K)

why would you run that OS and then install steamvirus? pretty retarded. haha. ahahahaha. you just got blown. the. fuck. out.

Call me when you can use 20% of the software you can under windows

Exercising your basic human right to privacy is not fear nor guilt. But I'm probably talking to someone who willingly made a facebook account, aren't I.

Literally every single thing you want to do on linux requires googling. 90% of your time will be spent troubleshooting random shit

He says posting on a Mongolian basket weaving forum that's collating and selling his personal info as we speak.

Fucking tard.

Is this true?

wow what, MHW runs on linux? since when

>shitposts
>personal info
but user those are two different things

Check out the protondb page for it. A minor tweak is necessary but otherwise it runs great. All 45 hours you see I've played there were on linux.

Since never. Look at his play button. He's using Steam Play to remote play from another computer.

Playing custom co-op maps pretty comfy

>tfw stuck with the radeon drivers and nothing works except for old 9x era games and some XP games

If you're on Linux, install the Mesa drivers. Those are necessary to run Proton, and they generally perform better than the standard AMD drivers.

Bro what are you saying, I'm running the game through proton, that's what steam play is.

that steam logo ascii art looks off lol

they are installed. my GPU is just too old.

also another problem is with FMVs. they rely on some proprietary MS codec apparently (can't they just use libavcodec?)

proton/wine doesn't count. you wouldn't call a emulated game a PC game now would you?.

what is there to "learn" about Linux? if anything the problem with Linux is the freedom. there are so many options you are free to choose from you can get lost in the selection.

>Dude Linux doesn't require any learning it's just like windows
Why do linuxfags lie? Unless you plan on literally doing nothing but browsing the internet switching from Linux to Windows is going to end up with having to go through a bunch of bullshit that would relatively simple on Windows.

Want to download something? Well you'd just go to the site and click download and install but with Linux you can run into issues with downloading it in the first fucking place, never mind actually installing it. Then you have the issue with certain programs not being on Linux and the alternatives being shit.

If you run into issues guarantee you'd be going through google for hours and still find nothing to fix the issue, when the last time has anyone had an issue with downloading something on windows? Yet you'll find tons of links about fixing a bunch of linux bullshit around downloading.

It's not emulated you fucknigger

so using linux is no harder than modding skyrim?

>proton/wine doesn't count
Why the fuck not? Functionally it is the same.

>emulated
What do you think WINE stands for?

Whats is this terminal faggotry of all linux users?

something that you drink made from grapes?
dunno about bootstrap. think he got sent to davy crocketts locker?

they think it makes them l33t h@x0rs

>Want to download something?
apt-get install. easy. easier than windows.

>you can run into issues with downloading it in the first fucking place
like what?
>never mind actually installing it.
again, apt-get makes shit easy. never really had issues installing most program and even in the rare occasions you need to compile from source its easy. just follow the few steps in the readme.
>Then you have the issue with certain programs not being on Linux and the alternatives being shit.
this is really the only issue which might happen, but its not a Linux issue. its a general OS issue which would occur no matter what OS you switch to.
>If you run into issues guarantee you'd be going through google for hours
and window doesn't have this issue? I had to google so much shit for Windows issues.
>and still find nothing to fix the issue
again, I can think of occasions when this happened on Windows.
when the last time has anyone had an issue with downloading something on windows?
I dont recall. but then again I dont recall issues downloading anything on Linux either so whats your point?
>Yet you'll find tons of links about fixing a bunch of linux bullshit around downloading.
Examples?

yeah yeah, WINE stands for wine is not an emulator blah blah. same shit. "compatibility layer". semantics. by that logic PS4 "emulators" are just compatibility layers too because the hardware is identical and you're just applying compatibility.

They feel they are better for using a less user friendly os. Like music fags for liking demos cause it sounds raw ect

based on academic research, keyboard interfaces are faster than mouse interfaces and KB+M interfaces. For me its faster to just launch the terminal and type the command needed that to go to the mouse and work through the graphical user interface.

I will never understand why Linuxtards lie through their teeth about compatibility, or are so stupid they can't figure out VMs or dual booting. I used Debian on my laptop for a while. I like it, has it's pros. but one of the amazing things about computers is I didn't have to make a binary decision about OS. It's like, if you care that much about Xbox vs PlayStation just buy the other for $200 and have none of the cons. But with PC it is like $30 for a grey market key, or fucking free with piracy, the million ways to get W10 for free officially or just nor activating. I kwan christ you don't need new hardware.

>apt-get install
The first time I tried Ubuntu a few months ago, I tried to install WINE, and entering the exact "apt" commands given on winehq.org just gave me errors. Searching for help on those errors basically told me that I would really need to learn how to use apt in order to figure out what was going on, because nobody had posted the exact solution to my exact problem.

I guess the WINE and/or Ubuntu developers were just having some shitty issues with the brand-new Ubuntu release, though, because now I'm on Linux Mint (which is Ubuntu-based) and I was able to install WINE last night, per the instructions on winehq.org, with no problems.

Installing things SHOULD be easy, and it usually is. But it's not 100% foolproof all the time. Just saying.

Winblows is garbage and Linux can play videogames fine so there is no reason to use a VM or do dual booting. It would be an unneeded inconvenience.

>yeah yeah, WINE stands for wine is not an emulator blah blah. same shit. "compatibility layer". semantics. by that logic PS4 "emulators" are just compatibility layers too because the hardware is identical and you're just applying compatibility.
No

why would ANYONE use an operation system from that youtube guy? seriously?

I'm fairly pro-Linux but not every game runs on Linux, and spreading misinformation isn't helpful.

Getting Windows shit to work on Linux is, and will probably always be, an ongoing effort. But fortunately there are a bunch of nerds doing that work for free, so that I don't have to.

>lie through their teeth about compatibility
I literally posted my steam library, not lying about anything. I'd rather not dual boot because that defeats the purpose really, I spend 99% of my time playing games. And a VM would require another gpu for passthrough, no? Regardless compatibility is absolutely fine, hence my steam library, so why would I bother doing anything else?

It's being worked on github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/1464#issuecomment-421997228

Not all, but a lot of videogames work just fine out of the box and others need very simple fixes.
There is plenty of documentation on what works, what doesn't, and what needs fixes. You won't waste any time with something that doesn't work.

>The first time I tried Ubuntu a few months ago, I tried to install WINE, and entering the exact "apt" commands given on winehq.org just gave me errors.
well, I'm sorry but I never had this issue so I really cant comment on it without further information. but you could've always made a thread for support, wine has a good supporting community.
>Searching for help on those errors basically told me that I would really need to learn how to use apt in order to figure out what was going on, because nobody had posted the exact solution to my exact problem.
I never had any issue which required me to "learn how to use apt" and even if there were. its easy so dont really understand the problem.
>I guess the WINE and/or Ubuntu developers were just having some shitty issues with the brand-new Ubuntu release, though, because now I'm on Linux Mint (which is Ubuntu-based) and I was able to install WINE last night, per the instructions on winehq.org, with no problems.
possible. Ubuntu repos are usually out of date so it could've been the source of the issues but if you followed the instructions on winehq they recommend using their own repo.
>Installing things SHOULD be easy, and it usually is. But it's not 100% foolproof all the time. Just saying.
well this is an issue on Windows too. its usually easy, but every once in a while...

How's the Nvidia driver support in Linux? I got the impression that only really AMD performs well in Linux at the moment.

>How's the Nvidia driver support in Linux?
They only have closed source drivers for Linux.

give me a linux equivalent to msi afterburner and I'll switch

>Linux can play games fine.
*provided an AMD card that is way worse than the competition these days (unfortunately)
**provides you use an open source driver that is worse than the windows official drivers
***Linux does not support DX natively which means 95% of games need to run through a dx2vulkan setup that may or may not work, frequently causes bugs, does not work with many DRM systems, and is pretty much incompatible with any anticheat system meaning you can't play online.
but yeah I agree!
why take 5 seconds to reboot or god forbid run a VM, when you can just deal with all that bullshit!
10 hours of troubleshooting can save you 5 seconds of rebooting!

Dual install
i spend most of my time on linux, even path of exile runs with no issues for me
basically only run windows for newish releases
just fucking try it you fucks

is steam for linux open source?

if 99% of what you do is game.
why on gods green earth would you use linux?

the proprietary drivers are good, but the non-proprietary, which often come default in the OS, are utter shit.

It used to stand for WINdows Emulator. They only changed the name because emulators had a reputation for being slow.

Works on my machine.

it's the opposite

Just got a 500gb SSD, what distro should I put on it? I'm a Linux noob that wants muh gaymes and has a RX 580.

And this is somehow relevant to Nvidia?

just get ubuntu

>*provided an AMD card that is way worse than the competition these days (unfortunately)
why unfortunately?
buying flagship gpus hasn't been worth it for well over a decade, the days of dual gpus are when the prices got stupid, and now flagships cost what dual gpu cards did while still being single gpu with a 10% advancement from previous generation

I could give you examples but you will just go fox and the grapes anyway. Freetards have a serious mental illness. I like Linux on desktop, I like doing things from terminal and using WMs. I like having SSH natively (winblows does too now tho) I like installing programs from terminal. I could go on. But I also accept it is a terrible option for gaming.

Manjaro

crunchbang

isn't the whole idea of running linecuckx to be free?

>muh gaymes
Just use Ubuntu

Manajro

>*provided an AMD card that is way worse than the competition these days (unfortunately)
Lies, NVIDIA runs games fine.
>**provides you use an open source driver that is worse than the windows official drivers
again, lies.
>***Linux does not support DX natively which means 95% of games need to run through a dx2vulkan setup that may or may not work, frequently causes bugs, does not work with many DRM systems, and is pretty much incompatible with any anticheat system meaning you can't play online.
this is true. DirectX is COPYRIGHTED by Microsoft and they refuse to import it to Linux. but you know what? this only hurts games which use DirectX and there are many that use other APIs.
>why take 5 seconds to reboot
because it takes time. even if 5 seconds. also additional storage. also you lose whatever you're working on forcing you to start any background tasks again. also Windows is just a shit OS. going back to it after Linux feels like someone is tying one hand behind my back
>or god forbid run a VM
performance hit.
>when you can just deal with all that bullshit!
there are many games which run fine.
>10 hours of troubleshooting can save you 5 seconds of rebooting!
I never had issues troubleshooting especially not 10 hours worth.

>isn't the whole idea of running linecuckx to be free?
But Steam is free.

These are the protondb ratings.
If a game is rated Gold, you will be almost always be able to play it just fine out of the box.
Silver is the grey zone. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.
In short, literally most of the time the game will just work so shut the fuck up

The "gaming" distros recommended for noobs are usually Pop! OS and Manjaro.

Attached: 2019_07_20-19_19_43.png (618x95, 13K)

Why do Gamemaker games of all things have so many issues in Wine/Proton? The Momodora games are capped at 30 fps instead of the intended 60 fps, Deltarune runs at 60+ fps (whatever your refresh rate is) instead of the intended 30 fps, and Iji is missing audio.

>Playing video games
>polluting your systemd/GNU/Linux installation with non-free shit like Shteem

Back to Windows you fucking cocksuckers.

Attached: 1539209954480.png (1600x900, 320K)

YOU LITERALLY HAVE SPOTIFY RIGHT IN THAT SCREENSHOT YOU RETARDED NIGGER NORMIE

cool, where's source code?

>Archfaggot
Yikes

because Nvidia price gauges and does dumb shit like insanely aggressive voltage locks, that they now even hardware lock so you need to solder instead of just bios flash. The super line came because AMD released some dogshit half assed cards. Imagine if AMD was competitive again. Considering we are in the era, of an increase in resolution, variable refresh and ultrawides, getting a flagship is more necessary than before. Even if you don't care I fail to see how no G∆U competition isn't unfortunate. It still trickles down to your price range eventually.

If you brag about using Linux, I feel really sorry for you.

Ask Gaben

>complains about proprietary software
>uses Arch instead of Parabola
>has Spotify installed

Attached: stallman drake.jpg (690x460, 186K)

>well this is an issue on Windows too. its usually easy, but every once in a while...
Also true.

>I literally posted my steam library
Your steam library is pathetic mate, just saying.

For me, it's Debian GNU+Linux stable.

>AMD released some dogshit half assed cards
>5700XT is 100 bucks cheaper than a 2070 super despite being 2% slower
Retard

go the fuck back to your containment board you ignorant hypocrite. You don't want people shitting up /g/ with vidya so why come here? asshole.

you both need to rice your OS.

Attached: epwnyqt8ngb31.png (2560x1440, 135K)

This

>i3
The clueless newfag's choice.
Even better when they use floating mode for le epic screenshot.

Attached: 1498330671493.jpg (204x306, 7K)

Why would I waste hours of my life just to get /g/ points?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-10_16-22-01.png (1920x1080, 2.86M)

nvidia drivers are on par with windows and some games even perform better with proton
forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/07/17/these-windows-10-vs-pop-os-benchmarks-reveal-a-surprising-truth-about-linux-gaming-performance/

>he posts from his loonix pee see

this post is a great example of the delusion. this entire long post all saying lies lies and lies, derailing into copyright or whatever ( as if I would complain if DX came to linux)
only to literally confirm I am right by even the shills only going with the rousing endorsement of "there are many games that run fine"
I think Canocial should use that as their tagline
" Ubuntu- there are many games that run fine"
that is actually horrid numbers. Windows has 100% green compatibility.
how much slower is it than the 2070 super again? last I checked 2070 is not a card selling at that MSRP anymore. AMDs new cards aren't even as fast as vega VII. Zen 3 was god tier, but the GPU launch was a flop. And they still have no high end card.

Install Gentoo

serious question. why is everyone else getting fucking rich off my data, and how do i get a taste of that loot? anons. please help.

No thanks, I want full performance, fully functioning, latest version nvidia drivers with the nvidia control centre.

>LINUX IS FOR BIG BRAINS

I have known ONE person in real life who used Linux, and he was an alcoholic Army grunt retard.

>AMDs new cards aren't even as fast as vega VII.
Yeah, they are much faster for half the price.

run vrms and post a screenshot faggot

>sacrifice
Are you retarded? I can use windows without any sacrifices whatsoever.

>Windows has 100% green compatibility.
This is a horrible argument for the simple fact that you don't need the game to be native for it to play perfectly and in some cases even better, Linux is proving it every day more and more
You Microsoft subhumans are terrified

Why do Linux fags always have to put a terminal screenfetch in their screenshots?

Not my screenshot. my rice is far worse.
also i3 is fucking awesome. I mostly agree about the floating part though. tiling is far better.

its not /g/ points, its for street cred. whenever I someone noticed my riced linux on campus people love it. same thing at work. it even helped me meet my ex girlfriend.

Attached: fu9pjeuwdcb31.png (1920x1200, 1.74M)

Okay? I'm saying the gains outweigh the losses for me, personally. I can't play a couple games anymore, but I get to use a better OS and the rest of my library runs great.

Try playing any retail game bought in the 90's without issues.
Or even newer ones with Starforce and Securom DRM.

it makes it look c00l, like hacking the gibson.

Wine just adds latency and wastes CPU cycles for modern games. For legacy, I can play directdraw, dx7, dx8, and even Glide easily on dgvoodoo.

>it even helped me meet my ex girlfriend.
Story? I find that really hard to believe.

To let you know that I run Arch GNU/Linux

Attached: 2019_07_20-19_35_45.png (1920x1080, 1.16M)

>Wine just adds latency and wastes CPU cycles for modern games.
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

From a pure FPS standpoint, yes. But when it comes to frame pacing no amount of vsync, triple buffering, __GL_YIELD="USLEEP", or force full composition pipeline hacks fix the screen tearing and stuttering issues that have plagued Nvidia on Linux for years.

>much faster
definately not
>half the price
yes, because AMD can't even refresh their high end.
they were a compelling tight budget option, until Super came, and until we actually saw all the horrible issues on launch.
nice, your shill article really backs you
>games running better on windows is a horrible argument.
the chart listed 59% of games running native or "good enough" as associated by mentally ill linux gaming shills. 59% "native" runs the same on both. Vulkan is vulkan and benchmarks show it runs the same on both, which is actually a nice thing to hear about linux drivers
>you Microsoft subhumans are terrified
of what? I like linux, if linux gaming actually ever caught up to winblows I would just switch. I have zero loyalty.
cracks, compatibility mode, VMs. there is a way. If there is some really rare 90s game that won't work with compatibility mode, GoG or whoe never fixed, there are no patches, but somehow ran great in WiNE, sure I would play it on linux. that is hardly my point.
though I wonder if you could use the Ubuntu on Windows shit to run it in WiNE on windows. 4d chess.

Attached: Screenshot_20190720-102914.jpg (1440x902, 231K)

>and entering the exact "apt" commands given on winehq.org just gave me errors.
as someone who always liked playing around with ubuntu to learn how to linux this happened more often than not. also 12-15 years ago getting your audio devices to run on linux was a pain in the ass. there werent any properly working drivers

reminds me of a fun story I had as a kid. I can CMD full screen, did color 9f cd.. cd.. to get to C:\ and ran tree. everybody lost their shit and I was sent to the principles offices saying "I was hacking the BIOS". good old days of retarded people

its not really that interesting of a story. I am a uni student, there is a group on Linux fans which bi-weekly meetings in the CS building here. I went there, she complimented my rice, we started talking and eventually started dating.

>they were a compelling tight budget option, until Super came
See

these are by far the shittiest threads on here in terms of quality
also you illiterate retards better stop shitting up /g/ already or I'm going to chop your balls off and feed them to your mother, god damn cunts

Don't see any reason to go back to Windows anymore.

Attached: Screenshot_20190721_013744.png (831x616, 413K)

>I went there, she complimented my rice
were you the chad that made no time for love, desktop threads insanely popular on /g/?

i get literally zero screen tearing

no, I rarely go to /g/ at all.

>group on Linux fans
Ah I see, so she was a tranny.

Yes, linux does not support directx. Wine turns directx into opengl or vulkan calls, which takes nonzero time. qed.
When I say nonzero, I mean my laptop cannot even play unreal tournament 2004 or oblivion or such old games. Two of 4 cores are stuck at 100% usage and my nvidia gpu sits at 50%. On windows, no such problem.

I play on linux with a GTX 1070 and I have no issues with tearing or stuttering. I can even use g-sync with a freesync monitor.

how to adjust fan speed?

gitlab.com/leinardi/gwe

>Ah I see, so she was a tranny.
nah, shes just a good student. lots of the CS courses here rely on Linux so she joined the group to learn how to use Linux.

lol
*in select cherrypicked DX12 or Vulkan workloads when the card is actually working.
Also wanna compare it to a 2080ti? AMD shitty the bed in the GPU department for the last couple years is hardly controversial.is it a bit overblown like the piledriver pile on? sure. Is AMD competitive? no. I would pay a solid $20 more for an AMD card that performed the same if It had more liberal voltage unlocks. but if I had to buy a cars today, I can not see anything other than a 2080 Super being of consideration.
$50 cheaper for mid range cards isn't worth the headache.

Err is that verified by nvidia?

>You Microsoft subhumans are terrified
kek, get off your high horse master hacker.
you're delusional if you think linux is as user friendly as windows which is already too complicated for the vast majority of people.
linux is getting nowhere but professional circles and is certainly not a gaming OS.

That's pretty cool desu. I'm majoring in an /out/ degree so nobody I associate with is really into this stuff. I met a guy at my uni's smash bros club who had brought his x220 running arch, he was a cool guy but I never saw him again.

to show the system information...?

nice. very nice. impressive.
ty.

why are linux fags always so angry and doing free advertising for their autismo OS?

because FOSS is a religion.

Because open source projects without corporate or government backing are a complete joke; linux consumers are just that - consumers, so they figure they'd rather spam than contribute.

Steam Play is proton you fucking retard

>this nigga couldnt install gentoo
i recently switched from windows to linux mint and it's actually easy as fuck to use. ive heard xubuntu is easy too. i originally felt like you because i was on fedora and had no idea how to do 25% of the shit i could do, and thats only because im a fucking dunce. linux is easy to use if you have a brain.

as long as i can run terraria and minecraft i don't care, i mean i'm dual booting so i can always go to win 10 if i want to play other games

but you can rice win7 too

Attached: 1563647296.jpg (5760x1080, 2.12M)

not on the same level.
youtube.com/watch?v=4QokOwvPxrE

is there even a reason to use linux other than autism?

its free

That looks absolutely disgusting, not to mention it looks unstable as fuck

just like windows

not really
its the same but shittier

OMFG IT SPINS!!!!!111

It's not free, though.

IT DOES EFFECTS WHEN YOU PRESS THE BUTTONS

Attached: 1560083085406.png (294x393, 147K)

>free
>small, takes up 1/3rd the space of windows
>can be lightweight and very fast OR full of fancy graphical features depending on preference
>never does anything you don’t tell it to
>spyware and bloat free
>customizable, every aspect of the experience is up to you

>proton/wine doesn't count. you wouldn't call a emulated game a PC game now would you?.
W.ine I.s N.ot an E.mulator

so not even a single non autism reason
good

>proton/wine doesn't count
Okay. In that case, running games in compatibility mode on Windows 10 doesn't count either.

>That looks absolutely disgusting
Linux is highly customizable. you can tinker with it to make it perfect for you. this is what I love about it you can go from full on ADHD fancy look at all muh bells and whistles to completely utilitarian terminal. customize it to your hearts content. kinda like the Skyrim modding someone mentioned previously on this thread - You can do everything except run modded skyrim because skse isn't compatible with proton
>not to mention it looks unstable as fuck
its a little bit demanding on hardware but should work without issue if you have a good rig.

Windows ain't free. neither in costs nor in license.

Attached: Fidget-Spinner-Tri-Spinning-Stress-Reducer-02.jpg (1300x1000, 138K)

Not being able to comprehend other people's points of view (e.g. why other people might prefer Linux) is actually a sign of literal autism.

>windows aint free
lol at this idiot
have you ever heard of fucking piracy

>It's not free
if you're an autist, sure

Attached: file.png (975x663, 164K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software

>implying linuxfags can install a torrent software on their shitty OS

Attached: 1561910188751.jpg (512x564, 41K)

Being able to take something without paying doesn't mean that thing is free.

I can steal a Nintendo Switch and get away with it, but that doesn't mean Nintendo Switch is free.

>inb4 "b-but piracy isn't stealing"
I never said it was.

in the end its free, so its not an argument

>Being able to take something without paying doesn't mean that thing is free.
this is your brain on linux

So what you're saying is Nintendo Switch is free.

>yeah yeah, WINE stands for wine is not an emulator blah blah. same shit. "compatibility layer". semantics.
If anything you're the one applying semantics by saying 'native version or nothing.' Emulation refers to a very specific thing, a compatibility layer is completely different.

if you get it for free, then yes, you got a switch for free

I switched to Manjaro because I was so fucking frustrated with inane shit W10 would do, it's been almost 6 months and I haven't looked back. I've yet to run into a game that doesn't run perfectly on Proton, and I've even had some games where the Linux version doesn't play nice with Manjaro, but the Windows version runs perfectly through Proton. I'll admit that I spend a majority of my time playing Dota, but hey.

Attached: 1541850650059.png (952x487, 51K)

>Daily fag trying to get people to go to Linux because of his paranoia with the NSA, CIA, Microshit spying on him
>Ends up using a RedHat distribution
kek

According to a programmer I knew who used the terminal in every system he had, it is 'faster' than the graphical mouse interface. I guess it would be if you memorized every command, but for normal people I don't think that's the case.

That's not what I asked.

"Nintendo Switch is free." Is that statement true or false? Don't move the goalposts or change the subject. Either you say it's true because you can take one without paying even if it's illegal, or you say it's false because they actually cost money if you get them legally. If it's the latter, then the same applies to Windows.

>stealing in a store is the same as piracy

Attached: 1550343347195.jpg (480x478, 35K)

>yay i can play games on linux!!!
>what do you mean they run better natively on windows? it's just a 20-30% drop in performance on linux, no one would even notice!

>>what do you mean they run better natively on windows? it's just a 20-30% drop in performance on linux, no one would even notice!
I actually found native Linux games run noticeably better on Linux than native Windows games on Windows.

I never mentioned stealing in a store. You can steal a Nintendo Switch from your neighbor.

I also never claimed that piracy and stealing are the same thing. My argument is that being able to take something without paying does not mean that thing is "free". The argument simply applies in equal measure both to piracy and to theft.

windows being free or not doesnt matter because you'll get it for free anyway unless you're a retard, so the "linux is free" argument is shit, it just means you hate microsoft because they try to make people pay for it, it doesn't mean it's better for you to use

>imagine still using linux on 2019

(lol

Cheers brother.

Attached: Screenshot_20190721_025416.png (972x624, 70K)

video driver is fucked on windows?
>go to video card manufacturer website and download latest driver
>uninstall broken driver using easy to navigate gui
>install latest driver
>reboot
>problem solved

video driver is fucked on linux?
>black screen, can't do shit outside of the terminal
>have to use separate device to browse for help online
>500 different search results for similar issues but none of them will fix your issue because it isn't 100% the same issue
>finally find a fix that might work after hours of searching
>40 lines of terminal commands that look like a foreign language to everyone that hasn't been using linux since the minute their mother shat their useless self out into the world
>oh wait those commands were for a different distro and dont work on your distro. guess your fucked LOL

we have all heard the "linux is easier to use than ever now" line and yeah that may be true but it's absolutely not as easy to use as windows. i get it, you hate windows and microsoft and have good reasons for feeling that way but no normal or sane person is going to deal with making a linux operating system work when it involves so much time and energy compared to windows.

dealing with linux was unironically the hardest part of some of my classes

>muh secret club

Sounds like you fell for the Nvidia meme.

AMD's drivers are open source and provided by a third party. So they just work out of the box, and the evidence indicates that they are so much faster than the Windows "drivers" provided by AMD themselves that Windows games run under DXVK are often as fast or faster under Linux and Native Vulkan-first titles have significant performance benefits.

I find it the opposite. Most OpenGL ports run like shit, releases and updates for Ferral ports come weeks later than windows, split multiplayer.

On the other hand proton is fantastic.

>learn
Joke's on you for not working in tech

Attached: Murakami_Shiina_Holding_Computer_C_Programming_Language.png (2015x2204, 704K)

must've been some really fucking easy course. what was in? introduction to computers?

>ports
must be shitty programmers. Bad ports exist for Windows too I was talking about proper native games
>Ferral
I assume you mean Feral Interactive? yeah. they're shit.

I've tried three Linux distros.

1. Ubuntu. It "just worked" but I didn't like it at all.
2. Debian. It installed, but then wouldn't boot. I just got a black screen. I think it was a video driver problem. The worst part was that it wouldn't even give me a terminal. It was just a totally unresponsive black screen. There was no way to debug it or fix anything. All online help said "just run this command bro" but it's hard to do that without a terminal. So if it was indeed a video driver problem, then it's even worse than what you described in your example.
3. Linux Mint. It "just works" and I actually like it, so now it's what I'm using.

Anyway, my point is that sometimes Linux sucks a big fat dick, both in terms of compatibility and online help, but at least you have the option of trying another free distro if one of them just refuses to fucking work.

the majority of benchmarks disagree with you. i know that performance has gotten better with time and there will always be exceptions to the rule but there will always be more overhead to play non-native games on linux and the majority of native linux games are garbage ports that aren't worth playing unless you use dxvk for the windows version anyway.

>tips fedora

So what am I missing out on exactly?

Attached: 2019.07.21-00.41.png (1600x900, 521K)

>Gaming on lunix
But why? I use Windows for gaming only because it just works OOB,

Here's the thing though, "Windows" doesn't really run those games fully native anymore either. They're using compatibility layers similar to Wine now. Most of the overhead difference would come with drivers, but there if you're using fully Linux-compatible hardware you'll often have lower overhead thanks to the higher quality drivers which are Linux exclusive.

Care to share those benchmarks?
>but there will always be more overhead to play non-native games on linux
Good thing I specifically said NATIVE Linux games have better performance than the same game running native on Windows.
>and the majority of native linux games are garbage ports
I know its technically native, but I dont call ports natives. ports are usually shit, whether they be console->Windows or Windows->Linux.

>Have to run a half dozen questionable tools to try to make the OS 'safe'
>Has kernel level malware that you can't do anything about
>Has no drivers for hardware from AMD

"Just works"

>dual boot
>use Linux for whatever works on Linux
>use Windows for anything that doesn't work on Linux
It's not hard.

And honestly, I wish you would all do this, just to inflate the Linux user statistics on Steam and other services so that developers pay more attention to Linux so that one day Windows can stop being the only mainstream gaming OS.

Attached: Linux.png (1920x1080, 1.1M)

Multiple desktop
actual tiling rather than you manually resizing
Good OS

can you elaborate on what you mean by windows doesnt run them natively? vulkan is virtually dead. it didn't take the world by storm like people claimed it would and now no one uses it outsdie of the odd aaa studio and indie devs.

I like the sound of that, but i'm afraid of having too much problems with drivers and shit.

>want to play a game that doesn't work on Linux
>need to reboot
>have to shutdown bittorrent
>have to shutdown all programs you are currently working on
>reboot
>Windows and its fucking load time until AV/Firewall loads
>finally launch game
>get bored 5 minutes in
>have to reboot back to Linux

>linux is so secure you dont need antivirus or any form of protection whatsoever

so.. what do you do when your shit does get infected if you don't have anything to protect against it?

>fell for the nvidia meme
>my os spies on me
>my gpu driver spies on me
>can't run linux without losing 50% performance

Attached: 1390127479697.gif (500x532, 904K)

Ask, who was so dumb that he gave a virus root level access?

Do games work with window managers like i3 or do you have to have a second desktop environment installed and switch back and forth?

>freedom to easily and quickly resize windows when I want
And why is that a bad thing again?

Unfortunately dual-booting into Windows causes you to be counted as a Windows user by Steam. They don't track users who run multiple platforms, and the tracking is biased to count Windows. The only way to count as a Linux user is to exclusively run Linux. At least Valve has removed Wine causing you to count as a Windows user by integrating it in to Steam as Proton.

>having to change launcher for video games bad
>having to change OS for softwares good

they cant get infected because they cant do a shit in that meme os

Okay. Just avoid games that don't work on Linux, I guess. You could do that too.

The "dual boot" advice is for people who can't let go of Windows. It sounds like you don't want to use Windows at all, so it doesn't apply to you.

you can do it easily on Linux too. hell its even easier, but with tiling Linux does it for ya automatically if your using tiling WM.

which bring up another thing you're missing. FREEDOM. you only have 1 WM in Windows. you have dozens in Linux just pick whatever you want. you can even install all of them and use whichever you want, whenever you want.

>Unfortunately dual-booting into Windows causes you to be counted as a Windows user by Steam. They don't track users who run multiple platforms, and the tracking is biased to count Windows. The only way to count as a Linux user is to exclusively run Linux.
Sad if true.

What exactly does this mean, though? Steam doesn't count me as a Linux user if I've EVER logged in on Windows? Or just in the past month? Or just in the past day? I'm not sure if I understand. If my account is permanently marked as "this guy doesn't use Linux" then Valve is retarded. In any case, I don't know how you could possibly know that Steam's OS tracking is "biased to count Windows" so I doubt it's even true. That would mean they're biased against SteamOS which makes no sense.

>Yea Forums is one person
Who said I don't use multiple launchers? If you're not using at least Steam + GOG Galaxy, you're not a real gamer.

How to get infected in Windows
>Browse to an infected site using the laughably rebranded "Edge" Internet Explorer
>Your system is now irreversibly fucked due to kernel level "features"

How to get infected in Linux
>Download this proof of concept script from my website
>Make it executable
>Run it as root
>See Linux is vulnerable!
>Remove the program
>System is now fine

Seriously we just had a news story make the rounds about another Linux malware program that doesn't effect the majority of users, and that is easily fixed by removing the malicious proof of concept plugin which you had to be foolish enough to give root permissions.

you guys zealously recommend this operating system to people claiming that it is the easiest thing on the planet and yet how is someone who has never used linux before going to know if they've done what you just described? linux is radically different from windows but your strange fixation with it prevents you from properly explaining to people what theyre getting themselves into. all linux zealots care about is getting more people to use their os of choice. you shit on windows and tell people about the "greener pastures" of linux and yet the only difference is they are just covered in a different type of shit.

Well most people are dumb.

>Run not_a_virus.sh as root?
>No way dude.

>Run not_a_virus.sh as root? (Recommended)
>Oh okay.

Just whatever platform you were previously presented with the survey on. If you switch frequently they tend to give it to you on Windows. If you run Linux exclusively you're more likely to get it on Linux and be properly counted.

>That would mean they're biased against SteamOS which makes no sense.
It really doesn't make sense because SteamOS is actually not included in the survey at all by default because the survey only functions in desktop mode.

I was hoping this is a flash thread

>>Remove the program
>>System is now fine
I know you are just pretending to be retarded but with Linux, a virus run as root could literally brick your motherboard as systemd allows you to delete your efivars

troubleshooting linux often involves throwing shit into a terminal and i can 100% guarantee you that most people have no idea what that code does. they just think "this will fix my issue" and carelessly enter it into the terminal. how is anyone suppose to know that what they are entering isnt going to fuck their shit up? really windows sounds easier to me. avoid shady websites and you if you do get something just run some scans and get that shit off your system. in linux is just wave after wave of terminal commands that no one understands.

>you guys zealously recommend this operating system to people claiming that it is the easiest thing on the planet and yet how is someone who has never used linux before going to know if they've done what you just described?
if hes stupid enough to give admin level access to malicious code, he shouldn't be given access to any OS. Linux or Windows. Maybe Mac since they actively try to prevent you from having admin access and even then I have my doubts.

>update Fedora
>reboot
>Grub can't find Linux
>don't have the technical prowess to fix it
Looks like I'm going to have to reinstall again.

>217R
>67P
always fun to see some autistic pajeet hate on an objectively better os
i just dont get why theyre shilling windows. usually their type is obsessed with apple shit

Troubleshooting in Windows often was impossible before they introduced their own modern command line.

> in linux is just wave after wave of terminal commands that no one understands.
Its not that difficult to learn what they mean, or to use the GUI to accomplish the same thing. People share command line solutions online for Linux because they're universal on a platform with no one official GUI, and they're much easier to communicate in text form than finding out which variant desktop they're on and then walk them through the steps to accomplish it in the GUI.

>>Have to run a half dozen questionable tools to try to make the OS 'safe'
Its non a issue for me because as I said, I just play on windows and thats it. Also >moving the goalpost

>>Has kernel level malware that you can't do anything about
What did it mean by this? Also >moiving the goalpost to something unrelated

>Has no drivers for hardware from AMD
>Using AMD

Yes, it just works for gaming.

>Have to run a half dozen questionable tools to try to make the OS 'safe'
thats not even true

>Duel booting in the year of our lord 2019

No, user, just no. Fire up a linux server, and then remote into the mother fucker (or have a linux desktop and remote into a windows server; like a sucker). Keep the server on your local network, and you will not have to deal with lag; unless your local network is made of Twizzlers and a HAM radio.

I really like linux outside of the whole gaming thing, and I could even tolerate it if it was "only" lower compatibility.
But what kills it for me is that you simply get worse performance in everything compared to windows, even when the game does work.

>having a server run 24/7
what about the electricity bill? not to mention building 2 gaming rigs. I'm not made out of money

why does mouse software (razer) spy on me and why in the fuck does it show up in my volume mixer? i want to just fucking die.

Not that user but you wouldn't run the server 24/7, only when you need to play
And you need only one gaming rig (the one used for videogames)

fpbp

>Not that user but you wouldn't run the server 24/7, only when you need to play
then why not just dual boot?
>And you need only one gaming rig (the one used for videogames)
then whats the point of the other rig?

I'm sure similar if not better results can be achieved with wallpaper engine.
>you can do it easily on Linux too. hell its even easier, but with tiling Linux does it for ya automatically if your using tiling WM.
are you telling me that you can drag and rearrange windows with your mice on Linux within a few seconds and add new windows and reorient them as you please just as easily.I find that hard to believe. It takes me about 15 minutes to set up windows on an ssd from scratch and then another 15 to install the necessary apps that allows me to set up my desktop like in the screenshot I posted. I imagine it took you a lot more effort to "rice your linux" or whatever.
Bottom line is as things stand windows still remains a much more user friendly and customizable OS.

theres no point in doing any of it, this guy is a retard

>then why not just dual boot?
Because it sucks, I always use Linux and switching to Windows would deny me from doing anything but videogames.

>then whats the point of the other rig?
Doing work and literally anything not-vidya.

just throw it away and get a $10 chinkshit mouse. It's about the same build quality as razer anyway

if it wasn't for the multiple buttons/macros (for MMOs) I would. i mean the shit even begs you to install some sort of bitcoin miner. it's fucking insane how much shit(privacy) has changed, and is willingly accepted in a small amount of time.

>I'm sure similar if not better results can be achieved with wallpaper engine.
I doubt it. but feel free to prove you claim. how the hell does this wallpaper engine give you WM level control?
>I imagine it took you a lot more effort to "rice your linux" or whatever.
no, its actually really quick. apt-get install the relevant WM you want. in 15 minutes you can do some amazing ricing, far more than what you did.
>Bottom line is as things stand windows still remains a much more user friendly and customizable OS.
>Windows
>more customizable
in what universe? Windows cant even compete with Linux on customization. Linux is lightyears ahead.

When you claim Windows "Just Works" how is it moving the goalpost to point out that before you use a Windows system safely you have to take special effort to secure it not just against outside attackers but against the OS vendor itself?
If a distribution vendor like Ubuntu makes a stupid move, you can see the whole community act quickly to quarantine the rest of the ecosystem from them as seen recently with their decision to drop support for 32bit applications which forced Ubuntu to back peddle.
There is nothing comparable the Windows community can do to act against Microsoft. If they were to decide tomorrow to discontinue support for legacy applications (something which is on their roadmap) there is nothing Windows users can do.

this still doesnt make any sense at all, why not just being able to choose your work os or gaming os when you boot your pc up?

Because booting into windows fucking sucks and with dual-boot you can't use both at the same time

This is gonna sound extremely stupid but
Why don't people just make an "Un-Microsoft'd" Windows Alternative that runs all the steam games with none of the bullshit?

>proton/wine doesn't count. you wouldn't call a emulated game a PC game now would you?.
Are you really so retarded you don't understand the difference between WINE and an emulator? Wine runs games at basically native speeds because it just translates system calls.
Type sudo apt install you mongoloid.

Because Windows is proprietary software.
It is closed source.
It would be hard to do even with open source software, with closed source it is just not realistic.
We can't see how it's made so we can't copy it.
Wine is the closest thing we can get and it's doing a very good job.

>This is gonna sound extremely stupid
It does not just sound stupid, it is stupid and so are you

Attached: wat.png (185x186, 4K)

>it is stupid and so are you
Well I can't deny that

Linux does not get infected because it's not shit.

AFAIK it doesn't exactly work like this. Steam doesn't care on what system you play, but on what you buy. When you activate a game on your account it add a point for it to your system, if you played on several systems, point goes to the one you played on the longest during the first week after activation.
After that you can play your Team Fortress or Total War 24/7 and your Linux won't get anything in the statistics.
Unfortunately most Linux gamers are dual booters and big games have their Linux releases several weeks after Windows, so Linux doesn't get any points for games played on Windows during first days.

Attached: mpv-shot0014.jpg (1280x1440, 679K)

Why wouldn't they? I think dwm might not work with poorely made games because it doesn't hack around certain assumptions bad programs make but the rest should work flawlessly.

>debian

Thats going to be a yikes from me dog

>Wine is the closest thing we can get and it's doing a very good job.
Wine is actually more compatible in many cases with older Windows software than the compatibility layer modern Windows uses that fills the same roll.
This is why a lot of games distributed on Windows now bundle libraries from the Wine project.

In the not too distant future it will likely become simply the way to run pre-UWP Windows games, much in the same way DOSbox went from something only Linux users needed to being the way to play DOS games.

whats wrong with Debian? its one of the oldest and most trusty distros which is the basis for countless of others, including the most popular ones

1) They are kikes
2) All of their spying would be exposed
3) People would fork Windows and make it free
4) A lot of new malware would be made

I use awesomewm and videogayming just fine.
I also used to use i3 and dwm.

It has outdated as fuck software, this makes it less useful especially for gaming

That's accurate for purchase data, but we were talking about the Steam Survey that gathers the OS stats for users and not for games.
I don't know that Valve has released any numbers for percent of games purchased by platform.

>playing idle games

Everything you just said is a lie.

I-It's MS fuck me harder, I don't need any privacy I'm not a pedo or a terrorist

its not that bad if you're using the "unstable" branch its not the most bleeding edge but its good

Autismos.
Homosexuals use MacOS, Seriously Google it.

anyone that cares about digital """"""""privacy""""""""" is a narcissist and/or schizo

its not paranoia if they're really out to get your data

Cope harder, bootlicker.

Or
Just run windows in a vm and bypass a gpu to it and suffer the 3-5% perf loss, could also barebone strip it and gain perf

Exactly.
Just like anyone who locks their door when leaving home.
Because why would anyone care about your stuff, right?

>shows basic system info
>w-whats this terminal faggotry, fucking l33t wannabe hackers
Why do Windows users are so afraid of a fucking terminal?

i didn't know i had infinite copies of valuables in my house. feel free to take whatever you want!

i started to care when they started putting people in prison for having different opinions

because windows is the OS of choice for computer illiterates.

Underrated comment

Reminder that KDE plasma desktop is the patrician computer experience and will one day be the meta for computers

ok buddy, I'm just gonna walk into your house and copy all your harddrive with all those personal documents and emails

Ok

The problem there is that as you say tou suffer a performance penalty from overhead. Plus you're stuck with Windows drivers for your hardware which can be significantly behind their Linux counterparts in performance in the first place. Finally since you're running Windows you count as a Windows user in analytics, but because you're running a VM you face many of the same restrictions on your use that you'd face if you just ran Linux due to problems with the Chinese DRM Malware many multiplayer games now want to use.

>finally give Linux a try
>get everything going and find out my wireless adapter is not supported
>multiple guides on how to fix it, none of them work
>for some reason this very common adapter is not simply natively supported by Ubuntu or Mint

What an amazing experience. My current living situation doesn't allow me to plug my computer into a router.

>using linux makes you computer genius

Attached: 1549147576902.gif (322x178, 2.56M)

>performance penalty from overhead
dont run bloat and assign cores and devices properly, there are scripts out there that divert resources to vm over main os
And in regards to this idea, just run what you need in windows, and the rest on linux

you better get used to this if you want to use linux.

>functioning

thats your machine's fault not ubuntu

never, ever use meta. it always gets nerfed.

Unfortunately there's still hardware vendors that don't support Linux properly. Testing it out with a system built to run Windows is often going to give you a bad time. Its not quite as picky as say setting up a Hackintosh, but you do have to keep in mind vendors that are Linux friendly and reverse your expectations on matters like Nvidia vs AMD where AMD has no drivers on Windows, while they have the best drivers on Linux.

Who are you quoting?

>limited hardware support is not ubuntus fault
are you dumb

A king has his reign, then he dies.

Just out of curiosity: what model exactly?
These days even relatively exotic hardware often has decent Linux support.

>fedora
will never make it

Attached: gentoo.png (836x368, 103K)

Dont run crap hardware, idk what you have but i have 10+ year old lenovo's that run just fine

the king is dead, long live the king

>Ubuntu wants to be taken as a serious operating system
>doesn't natively support various off the shelf hardware you can buy at an average retailer

Lmao okay.

>shitty hardware vendors not writing drivers for all operating systems is ubuntu's fault
are you dumb?

such as

Basically nothing you could buy at the store won't work on linux besides whatever piece of garbage you have.

Who said you cant rice Windows?

Attached: 1563535369609.jpg (1367x769, 900K)

>buy 400 dollar sound card
>its my fault for buying crap hardware

Absolutely BASED but wait, this post is not only based but REDPILLED too.

works for me :)

>don't use debian
>use smaller distros based on debian

>shilling a free operating system

Attached: 1537351031549.png (458x856, 217K)

>When you claim Windows "Just Works" how is it moving the goalpost to point out that before you use a Windows system safely you have to take special effort to secure it not just against outside attackers but against the OS vendor itself?
What "special effort" is required to play games are you talking about? Its so hard to not download pirate shit from who knows where? Just dont be a retard.
>If a distribution vendor like Ubuntu makes a stupid move, you can see the whole community act quickly to quarantine the rest of the ecosystem from them as seen recently with their decision to drop support for 32bit applications which forced Ubuntu to back peddle.
Poor example there, if you really are concerned about that you dont use ubuntu. Also Microsoft will literaly never drop support for legacy aplications because Microsoft is focused on the enterprise market(most of software is legacy). They sort of tried in the vista era but that backfired. If microsoft really wanted to discontinue old software, they might as well rewrite the Windows kernel, and that will never happen because even Microsoft doesnt know how the kernel works anymore. They just build shit on top and work around it.

>things I never said
shut the fuck up

Apt-get is nice if you know the specific package name that you want to download, but it's difficult for those who may not know how to find the name of the specific software they want to use compared to a searchable marketplace. Even as someone who has years of experience in various linux distributions, I still commonly mistype the wrong package (i.e. using redis for a webserver a while back and got the wrong version). Also to bring up WINE, i've only experienced shitty support in the games I want to play. Osu, for example, is a mess under linux, and I was unable to play it at all last time I tried to play it. Most people don't need the control and would prefer the convince of gaming on Windows. Although Wine isn't the only way to game on linux

>they might as well rewrite the Windows kernel, and that will never happen
They've literally done that with the move from DOS base to VMS clone. There's no reason they won't do it again.

>because Microsoft is focused on the enterprise market(most of software is legacy).
Its enterprise customers that want them to do it. Most of their software is custom, written on top of middleware that would work regardless of what the underlying platform is, and win32 malware costs them billions of dollars a year. They have Zero interest in maintaining support for games.

Never forget that the only money Microsoft really makes off of gaming is from the console market. Using Windows does nothing but give control of the PC to a fucking console company and we've seen how they've used that in the past to slow down, degrade, and dumb down the PC. Even now the fact that game developers aren't using Vulkan is largely down to Microsoft encouraging developers to target their technologically inferior console-first APIs.

>tfw there's a lot of really nice icon packs for *nix that i never get to use because i just do everything in the terminal and i've got a minimal WM

>Apt-get is nice if you know the specific package name that you want to download
and on Windows if you dont know the name of the program you want you look up its name.
>compared to a searchable marketplace.
good thing Linux has that too. multiple marketplaces even depending on the distro.
>Even as someone who has years of experience in various linux distributions, I still commonly mistype the wrong package (i.e. using redis for a webserver a while back and got the wrong version).
ok, so what? you mistype the package you just fix it. mistypes happen no matter the OS.
>Also to bring up WINE, i've only experienced shitty support in the games I want to play.
well, wine cant make everything work.and wine will never replace native support. but the more players migrate to Linux the more native support we will get for future releases.
>Osu, for example, is a mess under linux, and I was unable to play it at all last time I tried to play it.
glancing at WineDB it has a gold rating so it should work. you'd have to consult with the DB and if its giving problems then update it. the wine team cant know about issues with wine if no one reports them.
>Most people don't need the control and would prefer the convince of gaming on Windows.
its a cyclical issue. vidya is convenient on Windows and not Linux because most devs develop for Windows. if the Linux market will be bigger they'd be forced to support Linux making Linux gaming convenient.

>It's so easy all you're suppose to do is type sudo apt install whatever you want!

I already know the response to my post, it's "you're doing it wrong" like I'm wrong for using Debian, I'm wrong for doing X or using apt-get or whatever, which is my point because on Windows it would literally be "click this and install". They will make up any excuses for their OS being fucking garbage just look at , instead of "dude you're not suppose to use that software" it's "dude you're not suppose to use that hardware".

Thank god I didn't make same mistake I did three years ago by going head first into Debian without using virtualbox or I'd be sitting here wondering why I can't fucking get anything to work and then having to reinstall windows 7. This picture is just one of many examples of why I dislike linux, you can talk about "muh customization" all you fucking want, all I need is an OS that is willing to function.

cringy alt-right autist detected

Attached: 1555680522935.png (805x444, 111K)

>try adding third-party packages
>don't follow the instructions and fuck up
>blame Linux and the alt-right
shut up nigger

>new SSD
>decide to dual boot
>install windows 10
>wifi drivers don't even work out of the box but works fine on linux
>font rendering looks like garbage
>inconsistent UI styles (right click context menu looks different on taskbar to on an app etc)
>still no tabs in file manager
how do people use this shit

Attached: cool.png (610x451, 15K)

fuck off. You'll run into outdated repositories built right into the OS and only another pointless Google search and 12 step instruction list will fix what should have never been an issue in the first place.

>I already know the response to my post, it's "you're doing it wrong" like I'm wrong for using Debian, I'm wrong for doing X or using apt-get or whatever
you're not wrong, you just need to update your source.list which if you'd go to the Iridium download page you'd see how to easily do it.
>which is my point because on Windows it would literally be "click this and install".
and you can download a .deb file and click and install just like an .exe file. personally I think its not as comfortable as apt-get but if you want you can do this.

If you don't want outdated software then you use a distro that offers up to date software, nigger-chan

Reminder
a.uguu.se/SU3UcEDk8Is2.webm

Attached: 1554559877082.jpg (4896x3672, 3.75M)

This is your typical linuxfags execuse, it's always "it's so much better than windows" and then you want to just install a fucking browser it's "you didn't follow the instructions for a third party browser".

>just use a different OS!
This is why Linux will always remain unpopular.

>tips fedora

Attached: 1mkTYuOKjGlAVNLqFnxks2ALXqAcz938.jpg (373x298, 31K)

>fail to copy-paste 2, max 3 commands in your terminal
>Linux's fault

>don't look into which Linux variant fits your bleeding edge needs, use a distro used by servers and normal people with normal needs
>Linux's fault
You are a subhuman ape with room temperature IQ

>get problem on windows
>12 minute long youtube video, narrated by an indian or typed in notepad while linkin park plays in the background, telling you which gui buttons you have to click
>fix is a link in the description to megaupload

>get problem on linux
>copy and paste text into a box

>>get problem on windows
>there is no fix because no one except russians play/ed the game

>copy paste
That's exactly I fucking did you retard, I went to the download page for debian and copy and pasted. I got errors, I tried updating the source.list and I still got errors.

>>don't look into which Linux variant fits your bleeding edge needs, use a distro used by servers and normal people with normal needs
This isn't even remotely necessary for windows, this another reason why Linux is so shit. I could download any fucking distro and the moment I run into issues fags like you pop and say "why didn't you download the correct distro to do this specific thing?!??!?"

>They've literally done that with the move from DOS base to VMS clone. There's no reason they won't do it again.

We are not in the DOS era anymore. There is no reason to drop an entire software architecture when you have a market around it.

>Even now the fact that game developers aren't using Vulkan is largely down to Microsoft encouraging developers to target their technologically inferior console-first APIs.

Fair point, but again, as a consumer who only uses PC as a gaming platform, its just works. For everthing else I have a dedicated linux machine.

>This isn't even remotely necessary for windows, this another reason why Linux is so shit. I could download any fucking distro and the moment I run into issues fags like you pop and say "why didn't you download the correct distro to do this specific thing?!??!?"
Debian is mostly used for servers. its renown for its stability and uptimes. you wouldn't install Windows Server 2019 now would you?

> you wouldn't install Windows Server 2019 now would you?
If only you knew how bad things are out there...

>not *tips OS*

wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Babbies_First_Linux
It's literally the very first thing on "Babbie's First Linux"
>Debian is great for BOTH desktops and servers
Fuck off.

>leftist
No wonder you're too stupid to use debian.

>Free os alternative for those who don't like Microsoft's bullshit
>random plebs sperg out
Is it the curry niggers or just some random fags who want to look smart?

For me it's pic.

Attached: macoshero.jpg (770x602, 28K)

>Use server distro
>complain about outdated repositories

Attached: brainletcastle.jpg (645x1000, 107K)

The latter.

Who was in the wrong here?

Attached: wayland.png (117x150, 6K)

>using an OS with versions named after Toy Story characters

>runs on this computer via Steam Play
based retard

whoever designed that shitty logo

yeah, keep reading
>Stable - The production version that has a release cycle of two years. [...] Much of its software will be outdated and won't get an update, but you can use backports. It is commonly used on servers.
this is what you were using.

while
>Testing - [...] It is commonly used on desktops.
is what you probably want.

Jesus Christ this is so accurate it hurts.

No one ever said to use the Stable branch.

>Check out ProtonDB
>XIV runs so-so
>MWO doesn't run
>Frostpunk doesn't run
>Vermintide doesn't run
>Even the fucking Division doesn't run

At least Bloodstained and paradox shit is playable, but I can't make the switch until I know some of the less common shit that I play works.

on the contrary, you shouldn't use stable branch unless you're running a server. and based on the image you're clearly running the stable branch. so stop blaming other for running a server oriented OS

XIV is Silver
Frostpunk is Gold
Vermintide is Silver
The Division is Bronze

>apt-get
it's just apt now. just type "apt search".

Every package manager has a search command dude. If you've been using linux for years without using them you've been doing it pretty wrong.

>Windows
>Click download
>Click install

>Linux
>Need to have the correct distro
>Need to make sure you're using the correct version of the correct distro to which entirely depends on what application you plan on using
>Need to make a bunch of updates and changes to install the application
>If there's any error ever you're either fucked or a bunch of people tell you you're wrong

and I wonder why Windows is more popular

Imagine if windows server was just called windows 10 and the actual windows 10 was called windows server testing but no one except some site written by autist explains this and whether or not you should use windows server or windows server testing was entirely on what application you plan on using.

This is what is happening with Debian and Debian testing.

Attached: 1537165978398.png (606x682, 312K)

>Windows
>Click download
>Click install
yeah, because you dont need to choose Windows 8.1 or XP or Vista when downloading but you do on
>Linux
>Need to have the correct distro
not really. but its recommended to use the correct installer for the correct distro because then you know how things are set up. if you want theres nothing stopping you from installing a debian installer on arch or gentoo or whatever.
>Need to make sure you're using the correct version of the correct distro to which entirely depends on what application you plan on using
not true. as long as the library are up to date you're good to go.
>Need to make a bunch of updates and changes to install the application
because window installed never update VC redistributables...
>If there's any error ever you're either fucked or a bunch of people tell you you're wrong
only on Yea Forums. also when you are doing a retarded mistake like USING THE FUCKING SERVER VERSION, yeah. people get to shit on you.

>Imagine if windows server was just called windows 10 and the actual windows 10 was called windows server testing
no. Debian = Windows.
stable = Server
unstable = Desktop

no matter how you try to spin this its still a retarded mistake you made and its your own fault for not looking at the OS you are downloading. and there is nothing from stopping you from using that application on stable if you only following the instructions but since you are clearly incapable of reading basic instructions I guess its asking too much from you.

Use synaptic to install software

Is Proton bleeding edge? Or is wine-staging with all the fun stuff enabled still better?

Linux is not the best for games. Best to boot into windows for that and use Linux for everything else

>when you are doing a retarded mistake like USING THE FUCKING SERVER VERSION
Okay I want you to go to the Debian website, click "Getting Debian" and click "Download an installation image", and I want you point out where it does it say "Debian stable is the server version, use testing for desktop".
Now, I want you go to the FAQ and look for the same exact thing, point out to me where there's a distinction in terms of functionality in regards to "being for servers" and "being for desktops".

Now, don't you think when someone is told they're downloading the latest version of an operating system that being Debian 10 and that the developers of the operating system would explain that you're downloading the server version of the software? Because on the Iridium website it says I need Debian 10, I was using Debian 10. You're claiming I'm using the wrong version of Debian while the site says I'm using the correct version.

>there is nothing from stopping you from using that application on stable if you only following the instructions
On the download page there's just text, I copied and pasted the text because there are no instructions beyond that and so that's what I did.

You're trying very hard to make an argument about how I'm retarded even though you're not even considering how someone can come to the conclusions that I did.
>Debian website makes no effort to explain that Testing is the correct version to use while using the desktop
>Iridium website doesn't really offer any explanation beyond simply just copying text
So imagine my perspective as a relatively new user, I do not know that testing is the correct version when the site I'm downloading from does not explain this. It doesn't explain it in the downloads page, it doesn't explain it the installation guide and doesn't explain that crucial fact in the FAQ.

>Thanks, I'll try compton.
don't, it gives even more stutter, don't hear that faggot, compton is shit

> Debian = Windows
> Unstable = Desktop
> Implying Unstable = Windows

Good lord, no. That shit is a buggy mess.
Ubuntu LTS = Windows

t. used unstable for 3 months as main OS every single day.

I didn't notice a stutter with xfwm. Been using compton since I made this thread, still don't notice anything.

with my Nvidia card, I got stutter in any way, but compton was worse

>linux

Attached: 1415333595931.jpg (500x375, 38K)

>Imagine if windows server was just called windows 10 and the actual windows 10 was called windows server testing but no one except some site written by autist explains this and whether or not you should use windows server or windows server testing was entirely on what application you plan on using.
It's assumed that people interested in linux aren't retarded and will be able to figure out what they want themselves.

ITT faggots try to explain how linux is better and easier to use than windows by simply installing the sudo apt flux capacitor in the gopnik quantum chamber, but also let me explain why youre stupid for thinking that linux sucks you see when the orbit of the moon lines up with the parallel axis of the trillinear filter combobulator the zip zoop zim zam bing bang dnabbit boop

Attached: 1532635089655.png (350x729, 155K)

It's okay to admit you're just stupid.

>he doesn't dual-boot
faggots

Attached: 1504004767294.png (602x500, 77K)

Arch. Manjaro if you're afraid of the command line.
Being more free is nice but I video games aren't as horrible and malicious as most other nonfree software.

xubuntu

i cant play the guitar or build a fucking spaceship or paint or become a fishing expert
i accept that i wont be "smart" at everything but spending hours or days learning borderline code to get an OS to do something i could have achieved by simply installing a "just werks" OS seems mighty fucking stupid to me
either make linux for retards or stop crying that retards dont use it - t.retard

Attached: 1544939270217.png (499x346, 122K)

This seems like a poor excuse for the distribution's website failing to explain information considered that important, because I like I said before not even the FAQ explains that it's better to use testing for the desktop, so if I'm a new user how exactly am I suppose to know which is the "server" and which is the "desktop" if the site itself doesn't bother to explain.

What music player?

Having to restart and go back through grub and fucking wait for windows to sloooowly boot up every time you want to play a game defeats the purpose. Compatibility is great with linux anyway, there's no point.

Not even a linuxfag, just wanted to call you low iq.

You'r e a brainlet

>Debian is mostly used for servers. its renown for its stability and uptimes
The reason they use Linux isn't because it's usable as a multi-purpose OS, which is demanded for desktop usage.
It's stable because it's so limited and have literally nothing installed, it's barebone to the core with minimal repositories and they spend YEARS to code for the server so it's so stable, but it's for that server and nothing else.

While Windows is ultra mega purposed.
Everything has to work, that's why it's "bloated".
Windows emulates itself to emulate itself when you run 32-bit XP software in Windows 10.
It's doing all this because it's like a swiz army knife of libraries, while linux is like a knife, very good at one thing, but worthless at multiple things.

mpd + ncmpcpp

It's common knowledge that debian has very old packages. It doesn't say that because you can technically get along just with ancient packages on the desktop if you want to for some reason. I don't see how you ended up using debian if you know nothing about linux, most people use ubuntu or mint or something as their first.

Meant for

>dude just make your games run worse because linux dude lmao

Windows Shills go home
Also feels bad to get a dead motherboard so my 3900X sits next to me waiting instead of being used.

Attached: Untitled.png (2547x1395, 390K)

itt: anorexics who have never eaten a fat slice of deep dish pizza in their life

Attached: 0-MAIN-DeepDish-iStock.jpg (870x565, 98K)

>those tabs
im fucking DEAD lmfaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Because people on /g/ said Ubuntu was shit so I just went with something else and I chose Debian.

*rices the fuck out of everything on my desktop*
ha, this looks.. sooooo coool.
>uses adblock plus instead of ublock origin
haha fucking neck urself ricer retard

>voluntarily using an OS that has pic related out of the box

Attached: windows.jpg (750x414, 62K)

>either make linux for retards
Ubuntu. If learning babby's first distro is too hard for you, you have no right to call anyone else stupid for taking 30 minutes to figure out enough to do everything Windows does.
But aside from that, the problem was never with the system, just you. You "learned" Windows (doubtful you know enough to actually say you've properly learned Windows) through decades of having people hold your hand in order to figure out the difference between left and right clicking, and if you had to start from scratch again you'd bitch and moan about Windows being impossible to learn.

I installed adblock like when it came out for chrome and its been synced to my account ever since, i cant be bothered to change it.

Also i chose cinnamon for the simple fact that i came from windows and had zero experience with linux.

Almost sad how much people suck microsoft's spyware cock so much.

>uses chrome but wants to get away from "windows" botnet
HAHAHAHAHHA
>USES CLOUD SYNCING SERVICES
AAAAAAAAHAHAHHAA IT JUST GETS WORSE AND WORSE

I moved away from windows because of other reasons than privacy but thanks.

>Fedora is Steam

That's strange, you must've used the poorfag versions.
Nobody uses the poorfag versions of OS.

>other reasons than privacy
such as?

I feel bad for legitimately having fun with that game.

you really should lol. just play puzzle quest or something wtf is wrong with u

Cancer updater that even on a pretty high end desktop with an ssd that can take up to 10 minutes to update

An OS thats slowly becoming heavier and heavier

Locking everyone to the same OS with shady updater forcing people to move from windows 7 and 8

Constant windows crashes and bluescreens that where fixed by REINSTALLING THE OS

Open source drivers where a bonus, same as the privacy but both where not required.

I played the shit out of Puzzle Quest.

Stillman would like a word with you.

ironically by asking this youre no closer to an answer but have made your data even more valuable for them

It's good that (you) are here, so that your superior taste in vidya can be used as standard
There is no way other people could value video games by different criteria

>half of these games will have poor performance, glitches, crash randomly or just not work at all
Why the fuck would I use your shitty operating system to play games when I can play my entire library on Windows with no bugs?

Good goy, keep saying that, so that other normalfags keep thinking that they are safe

Check out Lutris guys

>*note: percentage drops off rapidly for any videogame software entertainment product released before Windows 8.1 and 10

Attached: 1535509637074.jpg (499x382, 45K)

>first thing on the main page is ASSFAGGOTS

Attached: 1560140079156.jpg (675x1200, 47K)

>Why the fuck would I use your shitty operating system to play games when I can play my entire library on Windows with no bugs?
Good luck with that, the funny thing is if you look into it you probably have games using libraries from Wine instead of Microsoft.

> Lets play games with ~30% loss in performance just because of my OS

Retarded.

Fpbp

>Cancer updater that even on a pretty high end desktop with an ssd that can take up to 10 minutes to update
Update and shutdown when you are going to bed, or set Windows to automatically update when the computer is not being used.
>An OS thats slowly becoming heavier and heavier
Still pretty small on the hard drive, and loads in less than 10 seconds with an SSD.
>Locking everyone to the same OS with shady updater forcing people to move from windows 7 and 8
They are stopping updates on those versions, just like how LTS Linux distros will stop being supported some time.
>Constant windows crashes and bluescreens that where fixed by REINSTALLING THE OS
System crashes are a LOT less frequent if you are on an up-to-date Windows 10 release. I got only one system failure this year because I used two different virtualization technologies at the same time (my fault), fixed by using only one.

Yeah, but Witcher 3 too, it helped me play some poorly supported games.

What's the problem of using other libraries? It will probably still be more stable since Wine is incomplete.

It's completely open
Not wanting to join because you already got used to Microsoft's corporate dick is not an issue with Linux community

quads

>It will probably still be more stable since Wine is incomplete.
It won't be, but it amuses me that Windows users are benefiting from Linux as a gaming platform while at the same time trashing it.

Did you download some distro that was released in 2005?

>It acceptable for an UPDATER TO TAKE 10 MINUTES ON AN SSD
Its definitely a first world problem but its fucking dumb it even happens

Heavier as in day by day use, like ram usage and background tasks

I dont support LTS distros either, however FORCING people to update their systems without a prompt is cancer. There is reports from users having their systems idle, going somewhere and coming back to windows 10.

I always kept my system within a week of update (i rarely turn my pc off), my drivers would crash regularly in 3D applications and i even fucking sent my card in for RMA and they gave me a new card. Upon using the new card the crash persisted and was fixed with a reinstall of the OS, im assuming it was a registry issue or something as i did both the clean AMD uninstall and two DDU installs.

The second i switched to Linux all of those issues went away, ive only had one game truly stop me in my tracks and that was Rust, which is notoriously fucking bad on Linux so it came at no surprise.

Because it is trash.
Wine is incomplete, it is buggy as fuck and runs most games like shit.
Of course you can benefit from using the tech from half of a plane on other stuff, but it's still half of a plane, it won't fly.

>Unironically using Linux

>idle wizard

Attached: file.png (600x625, 318K)

Based Terry
He was taken from us too soon

Depends on the update.
There are updates that are installed by Windows Update without even rebooting the computer.
The updates that take longer are system build updates, they replace a lot of stuff and upgrade your Windows build, saving your older one temporarily on Windows.old in case the upgrade breaks shit.
Also, you are not forced to receive updates if you aren't a complete tech illiterate, just search Google on how to disable updates or how to update only the things you want, it's not hard.

>CPU is cooler than on Windows
>GPU is warmer than on Windows

Sounds about right.

Is there a good hardware monitoring program on Linux? I'm basically running `watch -n 5 -t sensors -A` here but I don't know if the results are accurate and I really don't feel like inventing my own way to track min and max temperatures over a period of time. I was using HWMonitor on Windows.

Attached: fug.png (1920x1080, 939K)

why the fuck is mint so satisfying to look at?
is it made to use out of the box or something?

just use msi afterburne-- OH WAIT HAHAHAHHA

I've seen several reports and actually know someone that it happened to with windows 10, he went to dinner and came back to a windows 10 PC, When he left it was windows 7, He lives alone.
I know you can disable updates, Im a firm believer of vote with your wallet, in this case you cant so i use the one i can support more and in this case thats not windows.

I hope this shot gets better soon.
If Xorg is a result of duct-taping code together for 20 years, then I see no reason why it would be bad to have a fresh start. Have somewhat decent foundation and go duct-tape code onto that for the next 20 years.
And after when that gets too bloated, do the fresh start again.

psensor, it uses lm-sensors
radeon profile for gpu in my experience is as good in features as the windows driver is for overclocking and fan curves etc.

Because Cinnamon is a beautiful DE. and not the poster of that image but yes, it looks like your standard Cinnamon Mint under Dark Red theme.

>OS
>Fedora
Always suspected linux was for numales

>is it made to use out of the box or something?
I guess. I just installed it last night and haven't customized it much aside from changing my window/terminal themes to darker ones. Like Ubuntu, it "just works" -- but unlike Ubuntu, it's not total garbage, e.g. it actually lets you do simple stuff like create desktop icons without jumping through a thousand hoops.

Thanks.

Tired to hear linux is hard to learn.
I mean if you use something lile Arch obviously you're gonna have a bad time, but try xubuntu, zorin or even mint and you'll see it's fucking easy as ABC, seriously, linux will give you less trouble than windows for a lot of shit and generally be simpler to use.

Just try one od those OS I named in a VM for a week and if your favorite games are suported by Proton you shouldn't even hesitate.

Windows has had multiple desktops for a while now.

out of all the linex caps posted, that is the one, and only one that looks chad. all that other shit looks like tryhard /g/ kindergarden romper room ruckus.

i just like the simplicity of its looks and how it isn't screaming -LOOK AT ME! I USE LINEKEKS- PLEASE LOOK AT ME!

>xubuntu
spies on you just like regular ubuntu does
>zorin
literally who
>mint
havent really had many good experiences with it. when it works it works i guess but it's shitty/outdated/hard to work with when it doesn't work and tends to break in catastrophically annoying ways.

i'd recommend manjaro to a beginner over any of that shit.

>spies on you like regular ubuntu does
no it doesn't
>literally who
so you don't know shit about linux, thanks

>manjaro
so arch?

>it isn't screaming -LOOK AT ME! I USE LINEKEKS- PLEASE LOOK AT ME!
well to be fair I did go through the trouble of installing neofetch just for that screenshot. I wanted to be one of the cool kids with the fancy ASCII art in the terminal. But yeah, otherwise it's just a pretty clean-looking OS that tries to be Windows-user-friendly.

you're a moron. Emulation is when you're making hardware do things that other hardware was supposed to do. A compatibility layer is just that, it makes things compatible on a software level. You aren't emulating a fucking whole windows PC with a simulated processor, you don't have to, they use the same god damn architecture.

>no it doesn't
yes it does it has the ubuntu error reporting on at least it did the last time i used it

so don't report errors?????

>An error has occured
>[send report] [cancel]

I would argue that even Ubuntu is not dumbed down enough.
Imagine a brain-dead inbred retard who believes that he won the award for being 100000th visitor on the site.
We need Linux distro that will be friendly even for that level of retardation (i.e. average Windows user)

Do games with linux support generally run better than on windows?
Thats literally the only reason I'd use linux

Last time I researched that question the answer was "no, and linux support for drivers means many cards aren't supported, or have bugs, or just perform worse when used with linux"

games that explicitly support it without using compatibility layers generally do (see vulkan doom and the source engine games) but otherwise yeah they all run worse

Sadly still very popular genre.
Kurtis does aim to simplify shit for normalfags, so they try to present it in a way that appeals to normalfags

youtu.be/rCGMiT0CQAI
Somewhere in this video, Gabe confirms that games with native linux support have a tendency to run better than their windows version if I recall correctly.

Not even Windows is that dumbed down, retards have just been taught how to use it since kindergarten. If you want retards to learn, then dismantle Microsoft's iron grip on public education and put Linux in schools.

if it was actually ported to run natively it'll automatically run better because linux isn't constantly hogging your resources to tell daddy microsoft and the cia and google every god damn thing you do, and if you have to use a compatibility layer it'll run worse, how much worse depends on the game and a whole bunch of arcane settings. Thankfully linux steam does a lot of that for you.
And graphics cards not working hasn't been true for years, unless you're mean other kinds of cards.

>linux support for drivers means many cards aren't supported, or have bugs, or just perform worse when used with linux
This is definitely no longer true.

Nvidia's drivers are essentially exactly the same as the Windows drivers, and are relatively painless to setup on most distros. The two differences are you don't get D3D support because obviously that's a non-standard Windows-only API that Microsoft controls, and you don't get the bundled spyware Nvidia now ships on Windows.

AMD's drivers on the other hand are better than what you get on Windows in just about every way. Out of the box your hardware should just work, with higher performance and greater stability than you get with the Windows drivers. The one difference is that because the drivers are developed by a third-party depending on when new hardware was released it can take up to several months for a new card to be supported on LTS distros.

>then dismantle Microsoft's iron grip on public education and put Linux in schools.
Google seems to be accomplishing this with their ChromeOS distribution which contrary to popular belief includes the ability to run desktop Linux applications.

What would be the best board to discuss this topic?
Because I am really interested to know what can be done to counter Microsoft's manipulation of whole PC industry.

works on my machine

Has anyone tried running ChromeOS on a proper PC in order to see how it handles gaming compared to traditional desktop distros?

>trading microsoft purgatory for google hell
Speaking of, when did Google cross the line and become worse than Microsoft? What did it?

>claims Linux has games
>is running a VM with Windows on it
what the fuck did OP mean by this

Where did he say he's using a VM?

No. In fact it's often better to run the Windows version of a game through Wine/Proton than to run the native Linux version.

# # # # # #

The amount of anime trannies replying to this post is too damn high, why does Linux attract such morally bankrupt pathetic people?

>teehee programming socks
>teehee anime
yikes

There are some Chromebooks with fairly high-end hardware, but the platform is not a good choice for PC gaming due to how it handles drivers.
There have been a few projects to look into it as a more full fledged desktop solution, but generally desktop distributions are a better choice. SteamOS is probably one of the better options for a super-easy to use gaming distro.

>What would be the best board to discuss this topic?
/g/. Doubt they'll actually have any genuine discussion over it, though.
>what can be done to counter Microsoft's manipulation of whole PC industry.
Read up on IBM and how they went from THE computer company to a background character in the industry. Then realize that we still use things that IBM set as standard for no other reason than because change is scary, and you'll see that there's no chance in hell that Microsoft's grasp on the throats of children is never going to wane short of the company literally (not figuratively) exploding. Unless you're in Germany, but that Office ban probably won't last.

You got a source on him running a VM?

>Morrowind
>Fallout 2
>Fallout: New Vegas
>HITMANtm
>Mount & Blade: Warband

That's it everything else is shit.

Last I checked Google has never attempted to restrict the whole of PC gaming to what their console can handle through the forcing of inferior technology onto the PC platform.
So no, Google has still not crossed the line as far as Microsoft has. They're very up front about what they are and what they do, but they do it with standard technology and contribute back to the community.

>idle wizard
Why are Linux users such narcissists?

Attached: img_5b2d7480d69d2.png (650x300, 15K)

those are trips you third world mongrel learn fucking math

bait

>linux is easy if you have somebody preinstall every package for you
>end up with like 4 calculators every time
If you actually try to do things the linux way (user freedom and one program for one purpose) you'll quickly end up going through 3 hour ordeals on how to install a driver

Sure if you have a high-end system you can use linux but anything mid-end to low-end is undoable
t. tried playing games with dxvk and a R7 260x

Is Mint no longer the "beginner's distro"?

>put Win10 on x220
>it almost fries
>put Manjaro on the same laptop
>silk smooth performance, PC is cold and silent

Keep playing CoD pleb

I don't want to join because nothing fucking works

woah

Attached: file.png (1026x651, 53K)

BEATS THE FUCJ OUT OF YOU WHAP WHAP WHAP*
>NONO J9 PLEASE STOP I DIDNT MEAN IT

*SMACK SMACK* *ZIIP* FUCK YOU FAGGIT *KICKS YOUR TEETH IN* VINNY US SHIT SO ILL SHIT ON YOU FAGGOT CIA CHAAIRTY FAGGOT *SMACKS * *GLOOORP
>NONO ITSBWET INSIDE STOPPP WHY ARE YOUR PANTS OFF WHIRRR NOOO
*SLRRROOPPRR PLOP* TASTE
>NOOO
*MYYYYYY
>NONO STO-
SALTY BEAAAN

JUUUIIICE *BRAAAPPP* *PHFFT*

Well you only confirmed my argument. The windows updates are so extremly bad and often system breaking experience that majority of windows users outright disable them. (i havent updated my windows 7 at home for like 5 years now).

For example linux mint have very nice updater which isnt invasive and it has 5 levels of updates rating where level 5 is guaranteed to not break anything and level 1 will very likely break something. Also it keeps ALL your software up to date, not just OS. Sometimes you want your browser to not be vulnerable to newest javascript bitcoin miners. And in linux its all in one mouse click. You can even update the apps while they run.

Attached: downloadfile.png (798x599, 266K)

As somebody from /g/, this thread is radiating of cancer holy shit

Proton is made by people who have money, therefore it's better.

t. ranny

I'm just glad I'm not a hypocrite like you, although spotify sucks.

>Install Windows
>"Installation media is missing, please browse for the required files"
>turns out you need to use a custom tool to burn their shitty ISO's to USB
>Boot and finally install
>"HI, I'M CORTANA, YOUR VIRTUAL ASSISTANT"
>fucking skip
>entire fucking screen of shit Microsoft wants you to consent to, fucking skip
>finally boot into desktop, gigabytes on gigabytes of bloat and updates
>have to install every application manually, UAC blocking my entire screen every single time
>bloat reinstalling themselves, candy crush on a fucking mission to stay installed

Oh, and for Linux?
>rufus or dd if= of=
>boot into live environment (depending on distro)
>Install or try?
>installs perfectly, immediately go to desktop, just werks
>apt/yum/pacman/dnf install/update 5 or 6 programs at a time, finishes within 5 minutes
>installs steam, enables proton

Pic related

Attached: stallmanwasright.jpg (480x360, 40K)

>install linux

>have to dual boot to run most games
based

nice pre-2000 argument
I suggest you start using some valid arguments from at least 2015

Gonna download Manjaro
Should I do XFCE, KDE, or GNOME?

Attached: Capture.png (1557x868, 567K)

That's pretty much situational. For me it's just faster to launch Streamlink Twitch GUI, click livestreams and pick the stream I want to see rather than to have to type shit in a terminal. On the other hand using the keyboard to control the volume, fullscreen, skip forward etc. is faster than using the mouse to navigate the GUI of my media player.

GNOME if you want a clean, stable desktop
KDE if you want a Windows like experience and all the features you want out of the box
XFCE if you want a lightweight desktop with no frills

GNOME it is then

>Gonna download Manjaro
don't
>GNOME
oh no no no no

>don't
>oh no no no no
Welp, your arguments have convinced me of the error of my ways, user. I'm going to install Gentoo with console only now because it's clearly the superior choice.

AUR is the only reason to use anything Arch based and you don't really need to use an Arch based distro to use the AUR.

GNOME is crap for a million reasons, but mostly it just feels like it's being obtuse just for the sake of looking more like a late 80s/early 90s desktop than a post windows 98 one.

And what would you recommend otherwise?
Preferably not something obtuse and requiring extensive Linux knowledge

This is why everyone hates Linuxfags

KDE, every other file picker is a joke (KDE isn't that good, nothing on linux comes even close to explorer)

Not him but even as a long time Gnome user, I'd probably suggest XFCE for somebody coming from a exclusively Windows background. Its just different enough to not trigger the uncanny valley feelling, while just familiar enough that you won't feel lost.

Gnome is this weird amalgamation of concepts from classic UNIX interfaces styled to seem like a modern tablet interface.
It looks like something you'd use on a tablet but its actually heavily dependent on being comfortable with context switches, multiple desktops and keyboard shortcuts.
It all works really well, but its very different from Windows, and probably a little bit too much of a shock for many people.

>wants to install video game
>game not supported on linux
>have to install a vm
>have to use cmd
>have to search on google how to make things works every time
yeah I'm fine

What "windows exclusive" games have you been playing lately? My friends and me have been playing redout and league lately. I love being able to run games under minimum specs just because linux is so much lighter.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-07-20 19-32-46.png (1920x1080, 1.62M)

Learn how to use google. Just about everything has had someone ask it and got an answer. /fglt/ if you're lazy.

So you use a stable release, which is advertised as only having outdated but stable packages, then complain about not having the latest packages. So you go back to a current rolling-release OS (windows) that can use the latest software. Sounds like you picked the wrong distro (or should've went to testing).

I guess Windows wins because it's harder to get an outdated version. Less choice is good.

BUT THE NSA WILL KNOW I HAD AN ERROR!!!!!!!!!

>have to use cmd
It's adorable when people make it perfectly clear that they're retarded and then expect to be taken seriously.

>They're very up front about what they are and what they do
Yea influncing US elections.
>"We can't have another Trump"

Enjoy what works for you! Linux is about choice and everybody having their opinions on whats best. I personally love GNOME too.

Hey, actual guy who uses computers for a job and not just shitposting on Yea Forums. Both Windows and Linux are good and both have their uses. You're all faggots.

Attached: 1559926712904.jpg (767x779, 86K)

what sales they got going on at bestbuy my dude?

>linux: give password for root access
>windows: (screen darkens) do you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer?
Same thing really. You can dumb it down as much as you want but people will still give root access to any program that asks.

I wouldn't know, but I can tell you that the applications I develop target Windows and Linux server 50/50. We're not all wagies, user.

Attached: 1526150495393.jpg (1024x992, 128K)

is this the new desktop thread

Attached: 1540812893729.png (2560x1080, 1.82M)

>Gaming on Linux would have been 100000000x better now if coders in the 90s made something equal to DX when MS landed it. Instead they made beat up Bill Gates flash games and attacked him with pies in the street.
And you all wonder why MS became the leader in gaming on PCs in the first place? Just reads to me like sour grapes from 4th rate coders. It has took almost 20-30 years for games to be even somewhat playable on Linux.

you're lying. post programming socks. with. timestamp.

>grub rescue
Fuck this. Is there a readme.txt I'm missing? You're not rescuing shit unless you already learned how to use it from elsewhere.

Attached: 1563678907.jpg (356x264, 37K)

Maybe I could ;) If I was a braindead fucking tranny kill yourself.

desktop thread?

Attached: 2019-07-20-1563678211.png (1920x1080, 3.95M)

What you're leaving out is that there was an effort to do exactly that and Microsoft used its influence to tank it. Microsoft's forced OpenGL to continue to carry a bunch of legacy cruft around in its code base while at the same time they offered new cleaner APIs.

OpenGL advocates tried everything they could to push the 'new good codepaths' but with the old paths still in place lazy devs didn't make any effort to modernize. If they had been allowed to deprecate the old functionality drivers could have moved forward more rapidly and development would have been easier.
You can sort of see this on Linux with the Mesa drivers for AMD hardware which didn't get bogged down in the legacy functionality and are 50-100% faster than AMD's official drivers.

>Microsoft used its influence to tank it.
But /g/ told me that FOSS is immune to that?
Perhaps that old excuse is just that an excuse. To save face that the corperate man beat you to the fucking punch.

>But /g/ told me that FOSS is immune to that?
At the time the Khronos Group's primary membership wasn't gaming companies, it was primarily vendors of Windows-only professional software.
Microsoft told them that Khronos was going to break all their software and got them to kill Long's Peak maintaining full compatibility.

Vulkan only happened because there were finally Linux gaming companies that were members of the Khronos group, and AMD and Valve basically handed them Vulkan nearly fully formed and development on it happened in a fairly small and closed off working group. Also because they had the sense to not call it OpenGL 5.

>duel booting

Attached: duel-booting.jpg (1456x876, 463K)