What if Resident Evil was scarier than it already is?

What if Resident Evil was scarier than it already is?

Attached: bloodshot.jpg (988x1176, 102K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7YUU4FHsw9w
youtube.com/watch?v=7b3HcelpRb8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Games can't be scary honestly. RE tries it's hardest not to be scary I think.

Both these statements are false.

Attached: subhuman stops.png (1336x1078, 1.87M)

>False.
How so?
I'm sorry you lads scare easily. But not only are game inherently not scary, RE is particularly not scary as basic zombie shit.

Passive aggressive posting is for retards only.

There's nothing passing aggressive about stating my opinion on the matter. Grow up user.

Sorry you get offended easily, it's just that I figure it would be better if you were a lot more coherent.

I'm perfectly coherent and I'm not offended. Why reply to my post with this? No need to resort to personal attacks because someone doesn't find basic zombie games scary.

>Resident Evil
>A zombie game
Go back

That's too much of a blanket statement. It's a vague statement with no evidence to back it up and therefore there is no real truth to it. I could just as easily say movies are inherently incapable of being scary, sorry you all are easily scared.

>Games can't be scary honestly.
Games are THE scariest media format out there, thanks to the great level of immersion resulted by the very hands-on experience they provide.
Especially classic REs were designed to scare and startle the players at every corner. Create a feeling of uncertainty through changing risks and variables you had to take in account. It might be fairly action-packed compared to some contemporaries, but that does not diminish its impact on the players and the whole industry.

If you want something tad more sinister and disturbing, look no further than the Silent Hill saga.

I love when people try to fruitlessly make some produce evidence over a feeling.
I don't have to back up my opinion with evidence because you can't objectively qualify fear, especially not for everyone. I can't 'prove' it's not scary and you certainly can't prove that is scary.

Here's a test:
If your own line of scrutiny can be applied to you in reverse, it's not very good.
That's what it is.

We're getting off task... Fuck you all.

Quit fucking around and talk R E shit.

Attached: Hunter_farfarello.jpg (488x390, 30K)

You are right and wrong.
Yes, games have the potential to be the scariest media out there because of the things you say.
They're also not scary because they're ultimately games and fall into repetitive gameplay loops that eventually stop being frightening. Death spam for example is a good way to lose all fear of dying in a horror game in a few minutes. A quick process of desensitization.

I've played every mainline Silent Hill game, and none of those were scary either beyond a few set-pieces honestly. Harry, James, etc, were killing machines, so the gameplay itself was seldom scary (same problem RE has), so the game relies more on atmosphere and psychological horror, but these particular things aren't exactly scary either—they produce an atmosphere of fear, but you don't jump out of your seat in fright from the atmosphere alone, you need those set-pieces.

>I've played every mainline Silent Hill game, and none of those were scary either beyond a few set-pieces honestly
sounds like you are just severely lacking in the immersion department, and thus play games fully aware that you're "just playing a game".

>you don't jump out of your seat in fright from the atmosphere alone
Jump-scares are the laziest types of "scares" out there, and not what I refer to when talking about scariness. Games like Silent Hill can terrify you to the bone, making you feel unease and paranoid when there's nothing even happening. Even after you turn off the game.

It's hard to look at a blob of polygons and feel immersed.

As for Silent Hill, you're describing a bunch of stuff we have to disagree on. Nothing about the series stuck with me beyond the Shakespeare puzzle on hard puzzle difficulty. Also, set pieces don't have to be jump scares.

Then what would you do... To make Resident Evil better?

youtube.com/watch?v=7YUU4FHsw9w

Good question.
I will preface this by saying I like RE, but I don't think it's scary.
I don't know about Resident Evil, but horror games in general would greatly benefit from a lot more systems that can't be gamed predictability.
I would say a good start is systems that prevent gaming loops from developing and mechanics that constantly change the environment and enemies in unpredictable ways and stakes for every death.
Familiarity is the enemy of fear.

>I don't have to back up my opinion with evidence because you can't objectively qualify fear, especially not for everyone. I can't 'prove' it's not scary and you certainly can't prove that is scary.
Well, then you're just a contrarian who make baseless claims and tries to make it sound like it's everyone else who's got the wrong idea or are just generally weird for it, like those cunts that make threads about how Souls games are not hard and didn't die once and don't get why people can't get passed the bosses on their first try.

Opinion claims don't need basis in anything other than belief. Stop this insanity. I'm not sitting here claiming they're objectively scary or not honestly.
I don't know anyone that says "Resident Evil? Too scary for me," and I doubt you do either.

Okay, I know what's wrong....
What the RE games need more of is a sign of "Clear and present danger".
I'll tell you more about that when I come back, I hope you can figure that on your own anyhow.

You didn't say Resident Evil is inherently incapable of being scary, though. You said video games can't be scary.

what I mean by "Clear and present danger" is some type of situation that gets you to act in a certain way, let's say a monster is not that far away and you need to solve a puzzle before it gets there, you'll need to act very quick and make sure to not be followed by it, or you'll be stuck solving a puzzle with a monster chasing you around.

You are tasked with making monsters for a Resident Evil game, what will you make?

Attached: ab083598a562b4519216a0ada321a917.jpg (398x500, 34K)

youtube.com/watch?v=7b3HcelpRb8
Regenerador explained.