How does this game have so much staying power and topples any mmo that tries to overthrow it?

How does this game have so much staying power and topples any mmo that tries to overthrow it?

Attached: card-world-of-warcraft-54576e6364584e35.jpg (432x360, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/478785/eso-announces-13-5-million-players-up-2-5-million-from-last-year
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Unironically, casual boomers. Real players have left.

Lovable lore that knows how to take popular ideas from pre existing franchises and books (lovecraft) and spin it their way with Blizzard polish.
The artstyle also is timeless so it doesn't show its age that badly.
It's also a snowball effect where they managed to capture lightning in a bottle and now the game has become so big even if there's a content drought there's so much backed up shit you can do the game is never boring.
Timewalking, mog hunting, there's always a way to waste your time every week.

Attached: the_horde_by_tooth_w-d5lzo01.jpg (900x310, 87K)

Its on its way out the door with the past three expansions being absolute travesties.
Classic is WoW's only hope for survival.

Legion was good though you cucklord.
It had big issues but it was pretty much addressed by the end of its life cycle.

Attached: commission___the_green_hell_by_liberlibelula-d8pac7k.jpg (1153x692, 164K)

Unrionically FFXIV will take over some day. It's not a "blow load in first week and bleed subscribers til it becomes f2p and shuts down" it's a very slow build up but it's got over 1M subs now.

I'd be surprised if by 2021 FFXIV isn't the new king of the hill.

Attached: 1563253623205.png (1920x1080, 3.63M)

Sunken cost fallacy

Keep dreaming

doesn't ESO have like 13 million players right now? that's more than WoW ever had

Don't have to for much longer!

Not that I care whether it's beating wow, or whether we'll ever know since Blizz became cucked and stop releasing their sub count.

Attached: 1563265783449.png (1920x1080, 2.45M)

>ESO

lmao no

15 years of sunk cost fallacy.

The humans are all white. In other mmos the humans aren't all white therefore they fail by default. It is basically a dream fantasy world for white people the main market for mmos although asians like mmos they also want to be white so they are fine with it too.

>how does this game have so much staying power
It's not the game itself.
It's all the people who have sunk hundreds of hours into it and they now feel obligated to keep playing, least their time go to waste.
It's the same idea as to why people still play Runescape after all these years, except WoW has stagnated and people realize it, but it still has enough people subscribed that it really doesn't matter if a couple thousand people stop playing out of frustration.

This has been said for years *yawn* I guess if you say it for long enough it’ll be right eventually ? But that can be said of literally anything ...

ff14 endgame is way too shit to ever take over.

Yeah, just end up with this facade and start posting sexy bara lions.

For years every possible competitor attempted to defeat it by copying it as close as possible but then making a single change to the gameplay based on the whatever meme thing it was to hate in the game at the time, enticed by people threatening to leave over said problem.
Fury for example, was an MMO that capitalized on asshurt by caster classes over rogues in BC arena by basically being just like WoW but with the "Amazing" idea of giving casters a chance-on-cast to caste while moving.
Years later, Wildstar came out attempting to copy an older version of WoW based on complaints on casualized PvE content that kept building up in newer WoW expansions.

The problem with this concept is people who play WoW tend to have an invested addiction to it. They'll bitch about shit they hate and threaten to leave non-stop, but most really don't do this and don't stick around in other MMOs for long if they do. It's part time investment, part popularity. Their reason for switching is often not that great of a reason, they find themselves in a less WoW clone with its own unique problems, among a minority of people only there out of spite. They thengo back to WoW, sucking up their disagreement or more often than not given Blizzards notorious "So sorry we made your class shit this expansion, this next one we made it OP" apology.

So basically every other MMO failed because it never offered anything new or better than WoW. As years went on autistic investment into WoW only cemented the people already playing into it. f2p models, Mobas and other factors then worked to degrade the viable populations to support a broader MMO market, so WoW lives on only as a husk manned by pure autism.

Attached: 1547131012538.jpg (640x558, 29K)

Fucking this, 4 fights, two of which are easy, for 6 months and NO MEANINGFUL CHARACTER PROGRESSION OR GEARING makes it so you play for like a month then unsub until the next raid tier.

God I can't wait for Classic WoW to shit all over modern trash mmos.

INV TO ASMON LAYER PLS

Be careful you'll make them mad and them they'll start chucking out ad hominems at you and slurping yoshi p's cock at the same time

Not unless it has severs in more than 2 regions worldwide it wont and non English regions don't count

nostalgiafags

ill give it to them when they add savage/ultimate to these 1 room boss fights that get hard, but its not even a fucking raid. I remember playing ARR and binding coil had this long attunement and an actual raid you zoned into with your guild, now its just 4 seperate room you teleport into from a city. its even less of an MMO then retail WoW with a hub where you just port into your minigames.

So you're bad there isn't a server for aussies? lol

mad*

>staying power
>it's nearly dead from BfA expansion unsubs and Classic being a horrible meme with streamers entitlement and layering

>MEANINGFUL
There's that buzzword, don't you actually lose abilities in WoW as you "progress"

BFA is actually one of their most profitable expansions to date thanks to whales that give them money from micro transactions.
They don't even need subs like they used to to make money.

wtf are you talking about?
The expansions over the years used to give new shiny abilities to play with, and every so often they "prune" abilities and reduce the amount of abilities when a new expansion drops.
Recently for BFA there was a rather big pruning for the sake of the long term health of the game.
They also just added a shit load of active abilities for the endgame artifact mechanic.
Seems like you have no idea what you're talking about.

Microtransactions truely killed MMOs. Subscriptions at least encouraged developers to focus on gameplay, at worst to keep your playing with time-wasting mechanics; ultimately they still had to keep it fun.

But f2p shit just encourages games to develop around whales.

I don't get FXIV and why people love it while hating on WoW. It' s basically the same game as retail WoW only it doesn't have pvp and art style is horrendous.

Attached: download.jpg (269x187, 6K)

Wow killed mmo's. after it came out devlopers stopped making them and only made wow clones. So every time one came out the same thoughts just went through everyones heads
>why would i play this instead of wow?
>I already am/was invested in wow
>I have memories and nostagia for wow
>theres still lots of people playing wow

Stockholm syndrome and soccer moms

>wow killed mmos
>modern wow killed itself
And now Classic will save MMOs, what a crazy clown world we live in.

>How does this game have so much staying power and topples any mmo that tries to overthrow it?
It doesn't. FFXIV and ESO, among others, are already beating out WoW and will only get stronger while WoW withers away into dust.

wow ended with the death of arthas, rest is spin-off

Fucking lel, nost had like 20k people and made the news (half of it being bugs or ivans), image in 20k real players spread across EU (diff languages) US and SEA/OCE. Shit will be tiny

No joke, because it appeals to casuals en masse and that is the mantra of the game. See: launch - to current state.

It's still carried by it's fantastic end game raiding. I just wish Blizzard didn't make everything outside the actual fights as annoying as they are right now. From annoying necklace grinds to every piece of loot being a randomized piece of shit. Out of all the shitty expansions, WoD had the best raiding because all you had to do was to raid log. I'd argue many have quit BFA's end game just because how annoying it is to keep up.

>200'000 viewers on twitch all watching what they couldnt play
There was also that time wow beat fortnite soon after the beta launched

>20k on priv server means 20k on all blizz servers

most retarded thing I've read today

It's shit. Even a 15 year old game is better than this trash.

Runescape overthrew it a long time ago and given XIV's exponential growth WoW has about another year before getting knocked down to number 3

Attached: 1562948034325.png (1385x499, 34K)

What website is this?

Attached: 1562896570730.jpg (1920x1080, 719K)

>for 6 months and NO MEANINGFUL CHARACTER PROGRESSION OR GEARING makes it so you play for like a month then unsub until the next raid tier.
>God I can't wait for Classic WoW
You realize classic wow will have the largest content drought right? Once everyone clears nax, there's nothing coming. And since everyone has a better idea of what they're doing now than they did in actual Vanilla, it'll get cleared that much faster. Classic wow wont even last 6 months

It was shit but demon hunters were fun for a while

freshcuck servers are a real thing
the cycle will continue

the numbers are wrong, wow already had 100 million created accounts in 2012

Nobody gives a shit about wow anymore and i’m afraid to see the kind of “people” still invested in it.

Attached: 8336EF89-73B9-43C0-897C-AD8DB8499A9B.png (399x400, 262K)

It was a game made by white men for white men.
That simple.
Vanilla = Pure=White=Pride world wide.

Although I like FFXIV and I am playing it nonstop these past few days. I doubt that it will ever "Take over". FFXIV has most of the good stuff gated behind the Main Scenario which can be pretty boring at times with all these filler quests. (Talking ARR). Most Hardcore WoW players just played for the Raids and PvP aspect which are ok in FFXIV but aren't on par with what WoW had to offer. FFXIV is a JRPG tucked away in an MMO coat. But pretty damn enjoyable regardless.

>real players
only on Yea Forums will you see stupid shit like this

How do you do fellow human rogue players

Attached: 1550688373547.jpg (1068x601, 65K)

Legion was garbage, it was just sandwiched between the worst expansions WoD and BFA.

They've built up so much goodwill in the early years, that's why.

All it takes is some new feature to be announced and people will check out WoW for a month and fulfill activision sales numbers for the quarter.

>fulfill activision sales numbers for the quarter.
That's where classic comes in.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Attached: 1562921095830.jpg (448x398, 136K)

In WoW you are just some tag along during the whole story. I also dislike how content is not relevant the moment the new expansion comes out. XIV has, if you let it a pull that gets you engaged with its world. Makes you care about the people in it and when you follow the story it feels like you are making a difference.
Also the Soundtrack is amazing

Nope. The combat is way to slow and feels super shitty compared to WoW, everyone that played WoW before will hate it. 100%.
>B-but endgame is the best
Even paid youtube fags quit cuz they had to do 40 hours of old shitty quest lines that nobody gives a fuck about. WoW throws you in with a lvl boost and you can enjoy the expansion.

>13mil
Source: Todd. No way in hell does the game have so many active players, maybe sold copies + free keys. But when you play the game the world feels really fucking dead. towns are barely crowded, you see alot of the same name in BGs. Idk about siege since it's the worst fucking thing ever but no way in hell does that hold more than 2k players.

Maybe 13 million copies sold over various platforms, but if you're counting people with an account then wow had over 100 million in 2014.

I fucking can't wait for WoW classic. MC alone is worth more than the entire expansion of ShB. Not to mention the boss fights have actual mechanics instead of DODGE BIG BAD RED AOE MARKER!!!

After a little research, that 13 million is registered accounts, not "active" players.

>From past announcements on player count.
>This is not active player count - last update 2.5 million monthly active in December 2017
>This number is people who have purchased and registered a copy of ESO at anytime since release
>This does not include players who do free trial and don't purchase game
>If you own more than one account on a platform or own accounts on several platforms, you are counted more than once.

Source: forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/478785/eso-announces-13-5-million-players-up-2-5-million-from-last-year

legion was the best wow has ever been, even with its problems

Every mmo except wow looks the same with the races looking human + slight differences. Can't even begin to imagine how boring the lore is

if they fix ffxiv pvp and ppl start queueing then maybe ffxiv can be the most played mmo

The same is true of wow really.
>Human but green/brown
>Human but with bull/moose horns
>Human but blue with tusks
>Human but dead
>Human but with pointy ears
>Human but tiny & green
>Human but fat & furry
>Actual Human
>Human but small
>Human but smaller still
>Human but tall & purple with pointy ears
>Human with goat features (admittedly the closest to not-human)
>Human that can transform into human but furry

>death of arthas
one of the huge reasons people tend to forget. the others being charity epics, cross realm stuff and overall too casual friendly etc.

>Draenei is closer not not human
>Than walking cow
Ok lol xD

see
>Human but with bull/moose horns

>Tauren is human with horns!!!
>Changed body shape, height, hood print, fur, non-human cow face, etc...
>Nah goat legs, horns and blue skin are closer to not human
>Why? Well because I am high on he-she HRT drugs!!!
Go play transsexual fagtasy deranged freak.

Attached: 06c991fe-d645-4d9b-9eed-9c01848077eb_1.602eee0a2e0e05363f3225163e444cae[1].jpg (4134x1975, 855K)

Would be cool if blizzard wanted to flex their overwhelming playerbase by showing active players like they used to.

>Real players

Attached: 1553069587504.jpg (1024x1024, 161K)

because it jumped in to the boom of mmo and the game requires less loads going across country.

i mean why should they if no other mmo is willing to do the same

Sure thing Todd