Is this genuinely one of the best games ever made or is it overrated garbage?

Is this genuinely one of the best games ever made or is it overrated garbage?

Attached: The Witcher 3.jpg (800x1015, 141K)

genuinely one of the best games ever made

I'd say it's at least the best AAA game of the decade

talking the truth its both. It has some serious writing for secondary missions, has also a very nice world where every place is used in a very good way to tell a story however progression system, combat, use of the ost, main story and muh good ciri are total garbage

The former

It's a mediocre game that only recieved praise because it released in a year where nothing else came out, so people overrated it due to games being rated based on how they compare to other games in their respective year. Look at Horizon Zero Dawn for example, it won more GOTY's than Mario Odyssey, but still nobody talked about it due to DQ11, Persona 5, NieR, Mario & BOTW coming out the same year. So compared to those it looked like dogshit. Gaming was so bad during the early 2010s that shit like Walking Dead & Dragon Age Inqusition won GOTY. People's expectations for good games were incredibly low, so by default Witcher 3 looked like a masterpiece because of how bad everything else had been until that point in the Generation

A simple Google search proves you wrong. 2015 saw huge releases across the board. Witcher was competing against mega series like MGS, Fallout, and Bloodborne among others.

>Bloodborne from holy from soft
>Fallout from Godd Howard
>MGS from immaculate Hideo Kojima

The Witcher 3 came out of nowhere and beat quite possibly the most stacked trio of worshipped big name devs possible. I think only Rockstar would’ve been able to join this conversation in terms of devs that normies suckle like pigs

>asking 4channel about witcher 3
dub ass.you'lll just get half sayin it's the best game evern and the other half saying it's the worst.

it is narratively outstanding and does very little wrong, but it does have some of the same lame design decisions as many other aaa games (such as casual arkham combat)

Combat stinks, janky swimming/roach/boats, progression is non existent, and it somehow has the worst alchemy system out of any of the games. It's also too long, unironically.

But it is kino. Some of the best writing/voice acting I've seen in any game. Great environments, great fun.

9/10.

Fallout 4 & MGS5 are universally considered trash, Bloodborne sold like shit when it came out. Undertale dominated all gaming discussion in 2015, but Critics hate Indie games so by default Witcher won all of the awards

>worst alchemy system out of any of the games
How is it worse than meditate-to-drink potions of the second game?

i havent been more immersed in a game since so its one of the best. cyberpunk may be better

somehow had less depth than skyrim, this isn't a game

it isn't an rpg, it's a hack and slash movie game, there are better hack and slashes, and there are better movies

I don't play video games for deep and meaningful dialogue, I expect the GAME portion to be entertaining

*pause*
apply oils
*unpause*
*pause*
drink potion that isn't on my hotkey (you only get 4)
*unpause*

So literally the same as the first game then. Pausing is better than reloading a save to a point you could meditate and applying the potions. There was almost no way to tell when you were gonna need them in 2 and they lasted only minutes sometimes.

Name a better movie-game. I can't. Also, the combat is way more involved and interesting than Skyrim.

Almost all action-rpgs have garbage combat, but somehow people only bitch about it in Witcher 3 (which isn't even that bad by genre standards)

Combat was enjoyable but pretty shallow. Some quests were interesting, Red Baron really pulled me into the game.

I'll be honest, I didn't bother much with alchemy in 2. I did focus mainly on alchemy in 3, and it was annoying but too effective to ignore.

Critics loved undertake though, everyone did but Witcher does a lot more things than undertake and is at least equal as good.

Potions didn't have much impact. Merely stat boosts. For combat where you could handedly beat stuff anyways.
That said the hitframes on some attacks were amazing. There's a webm with a creatures tongue and the Witcher dodging under it during a spin attack. When you really got down to it, you basically spun to win on monsters then backstepped away. Spam some signs and then spun again.

A good but extremely overrated game.

>whistles for magic horse
>autoruns on road to quest marker
>toucan sam vision activates
>"Mhmm....giant slash marks all over the victim....a Drowner™, gotta be"
>"Come on, Roach"
>follows nose
>guys in Drowner™ costumes appear
>"OY BLOODY 'ELL FUCKING CUNT SHIT FUCK CUNT, IT'S A FUCKIN' WITCHER IT IS! GET 'EM"
>"Shit you stink" ALALALALALALALALA sets guys on fire and they stumble and recover immediately, does a cinematic slash and cuts guys in half
>"Mhmm....Bandits™ pretending to be Drowners™......better tell the village head about this"
>"Come on, Roach"
>autoruns on road back to village
>"OY BLOODY FUCK CUNT WITCHAH, WOT ABOUT DA CONTRACT WESE PAIDS YA FOR YA BLOODY FUCKING CUNT?"
>"Just some bastards posing as Drowners™, here's proof" shows flipper
>"OY KURWA, HERE'S YA REWARD DA WHOLE VILLAGE CHIPPED IN"
>"Drowning in Danger" Complete AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>10 crowns received

Attached: the_witcher_netflix_roach_1080.0.jpg (1200x800, 124K)

>I didn't bother much with alchemy in 2
Well it was fucked. You could only brew and drink potions while meditating (out of combat), and it would be very hard to tell when you were about to fight something and even if you sensed it you never knew what exactly you were going to fight. You know how sometimes in Witcher 3 there's an optional objective to "prepare", that's there to let you know you're about to hit a boss. Also I think 3 has the best alchemy builds overall and decoctions add fun modifiers to the game you could mix and match, and also last hours.

Or mod it
>enter combat
>mod knows what enemy I am fighting and applies oils
>auto-equips relevant potions when in combat and when out of combat

e z p z le mun squee z

I enjoyed it for what it was. In terms of writing and character interaction, it's top notch. In terms of everything else, it's meh.

The overworld is ubisoft tier checklist bullshit which is tired as fuck. The quests themselves are repetitive garbage which ultimately suffer from gameplay systems (witcher senses) that are boring and basically hold the players hand.

The combat is serviceable but imprecise and floaty. The graphics were decent but kinda strange at times. For example, the trees constantly swaying in the wind looks somehow unnatural and the skyboxes make no sense (sunshine + rain literally all the time).

If you can get past its tropes and get lost in its story, it's very much a great game. That being said, I CANNOT replay this shit without getting bored in less than 10 hours, and to me, the reason for that is that the fundamental aspects of W3's gameplay are mediocre at best.

you can't give a bland hack and slash game of the year, the gameplay was from 2005 man

the rpg part of the game gave you no meaningful build choices, you couldn't use stealth, as a HUNTER

skyrim had more gameplay depth

yes the story was good but it isn't fucking game of any year

it's an 8 at best if story is everything to you, and I could rate it as low as a 5 if gameplay means everything to you

Get a load of this retard

hey bro you belong on Netflix not in the gaming world

>In terms of writing and character interaction, it's top notch
Not really. The writing in the main story is awful and the main characters barely interact with each other.

>witcher 2, draug boss fight
>drink potions beforehand
>long ass cutscene
>potions have run out when fight starts

It's cool game literally a masterpiece.

Overrated garbage, boring combat system

The bloody baron would like to have a word with you.

its garbage. The constant cut scenes to a boring story topped with horrible fighting/mechanics make the game complete shit. It was torture having to hear Geralts edgelord raspy voice. FUCK this game

and you belong in a mental health institution, your autism is extremely obvious

The baron is great but rest of the story is generic garbage.

for quest in questlines: follow(quest.marker)

It was nothing special, I'm not sure why people make a big deal about this. Not to mention that the whole substory is immensely disappointing and goes fucking nowhere.
>introduce baron and his guilt
>show his daughter and her connection to the faith
>figure out it all goes back to the witches and they're the source
>literally a thousand ways you could go to turn this into a satisfying finale with geralt having to make meaningful choices and stand off against the witches somehow
>lol just sit in this circle and have mmo wave battles so everything can end and ciri can kill the witches 40 hours later
Yeah, nah, I don't think so, buddy. It's actually kind of incredible how there isn't a single thing about this game that couldn't instantly be made 10 times better if you wrote Ciri out of it. What a shit fucking cunt character. Ruined the books. Ruined Witcher 3. Just shit shit shit.

It's a Planescape:Torment situation where the gameplay is complete shit and merely an excuse to tell some stories, but the stories themselves are interesting enough to keep you hooked.

it's a game where no one mentions the gameplay because its trash. it's for little zoomer faggots.

I don't think that's what autism is, spend more time on wikipedia, you would probably know that if you didn't have a crippling Netflix addiction

It's... really, really not, lol. Planescape has actual depth to it, Witcher has none. I'm not trying to shitpost, but if you seriously think these two games' writing is on the same level, there's something wrong with you. Witcher has its good parts, of course, but it's a fundamentally different kind of story. At its best it's an action adventure with political commentary about race and class. Planescape goes way beyond that.

one of the best games ever, but has its flaws. combat is much more responsive, and tighter than ever, but it's kind of nothing. it looks good, it feels good, but it gas no depth. the bloody baron quest line is unironically better than any AAA game story in the last decade, and the game itself puts the industry to shame. I'd put it has the defacto current gen game easily.

don't know making up your own narrative to spout shit about a 4 year old game seems pretty autistic to me.

it's a shitty hack and slash from 2005 with high production values, deal with it

I still haven't played this game and I probably never will. I thought the first Witcher game was pretty decent, minus the terrible combat, and was excited to play the followup but The Witcher 2 was so bad it put me off ever playing another Witcher game again. It was so dumb and so boring and took itself so fucking seriously. It was embarrassing to think grown adults out there considered that game to be "mature games for mature gamers". At least most other AAA devs know they are producing trash for retards. CDPR has delusions of grandeur. I did watch some gameplay on youtube to see if things were better in The Witcher 3 but all I saw was the same dumb shit taking itself too seriously except now with Ubisoft game design.

>the bloody baron quest line is unironically better than any AAA game story in the last decade
Delusional. Even nu-God of War has an infinitely better story than the Bloody Baron quest. This is of course, fine, since the latter is only a quest in a larger game, but in terms of storytelling the Bloody Baron quest fucks up in many places. It's introduces narrative lines that go absolutely nowhere, and it has no real pay-off. I would be very interested to hear you defend what you think is so good about it, beyond
>muh mature hurting adult character
As an actual story. What about it is good? What are its strengths, its main themes that you feel it fleshes out properly?

I never compared them quality-wise so shut the fuck up and don't state the obvious, retard.

pls stop your autistiic screeching, its laughable

go back to netflix

>it has no real pay-off

yes, exactly, it has no payoff. it's just a tragedy, and that's it. a game that shows restraint, and has the balls to not award the player after a quest that long is kind of amazing.

It's neither. It's just a good game.

I mean, you're just plain wrong. Everything after Novigrad in Witcher 3 is plain shit, and the moment you find Ciri it becomes an instanced MMO with a 1/10 story. You could absolutely make that argument for the DLCs, but the base game? Definitely not. The writing is subpar to say the least. At most I'd give it points for the Bloody Baron quest and the stuff related to Keira. But again, as soon as you hit Novigrad the game reveals itself as an empty shell.

the later.

I don't think you understand what pay-off is. What you're saying is just contrarian and honestly embarrassing. It's like saying that making a broken fucking game is amazing because the player doesn't expected it, lol. You could've made this argument if the whole point of the quest is that it ends tragically, or ends without a resolution, but it doesn't. It in fact tries to wrap up everything, but it does so badly and that's why there is no pay-off. That's not intentional, it's just bad writing. Fundamentally everything is resolved and has a happy ending, it's not even a tragedy. Do you know what tragedy means? It's not a buzzword to throw around, it's an actual term that's used for specific storytelling techniques. This is most certainly not a tragedy.

It's garbage, in line with the story and books. That shit was never "an hidden gem" and even less "an epic trilogy loved by everyone". before 3 they marketed virally to rewrite the franchise's past hoping for the starved 12 year old to fall for it and believe they would "fit in" with the nerds immediately.
But you dont need much effort to google the past of the franchise and see how people laughed at its grotesque gary stue setting, and shovelware programming. Even PA torn it a new asshole, and they aren't usually on the "be bad to papa corpo" kind of humour. It's just that embarassing.

Are you retarded? Seriously. I am saying that both games don't give a flying fuck about the GAME part because they are glorified books, not that Witcher 3 is better, worse, equal, or whatever to Planescape:Torment.

>before 3 they marketed virally to rewrite the franchise's past hoping for the starved 12 year old to fall for it and believe they would "fit in" with the nerds immediately
And at 3 they abandoned the people the fanbase from 1-2 so they could essentially release 3 as Skyrim Edition and a standalone game. It's incredible that nobody actually mentions this. Witcher 1/2 was already generic enough, but in 3 they went OUT OF THEIR WAY to write the most generic trash they could.

>use of the ost
>anything but stellar
i was gonna humor you until that

overrates garbage
combat is bad
story comes close to super mario
bare bones rpg elements
it's basically a glorified VN

Its actually garbage and you somehow have to delude yourself to get immersed. That being said it has a ton of soul and was in development for a long fucking time and it showes. CDPR just needs to find one incredibly talented designer and writer to actually make a good game.