Do videogames benefit from NVMe drives yet?

Do videogames benefit from NVMe drives yet?

Attached: 81vkjxbO-rL._SL1500_[1].jpg (1500x1000, 122K)

Path of Exile does

Noticeably? Not particularly. Like probably 15% faster in games. I would recommend it as your boot drive as everything else can benefit from the like 5x speed increase. But honestly any game like star citizen that severely benefits from an SSD is too big for me to want to waste that much of my SSD. It's worthwhile and if you don't have any SSDs then go for NVME unless you have a very old system

Tfw 3 ssds totaling 2TB

No, not really.

Loading is so dependent on your CPU's ability to decompress files and not really drive I/O speed.

Then you have the shitty devs that decompress with only one thread.

Back in "the day" devs didn't really compress and encrypt game files, so it was way more drive speed dependent in the past.

Basically, any SSD would be fine, SATA or NVMe.

It's very nice because almost anyone with an NVME upgraded from a SATA SSD which means you have a free SSD just for games now. Even with my 1.5tb of SSDs I still refuse to install 100gb+ games on it because AAA devs can suck it

allows me to load assets faster, instalock and piss ppl off in hero games

>BIOS not detecting nvme ssd because it loads too fast that I literally have to enter bios screen every time I boot up or it will not show up on windows
What gives?

It's good for loading time in games such as Total Warhammer 1 and 2. Other than that, not much

That doesn't make any sense.

You have to into the BIOS and make sure your boot device the Windows UEFI.

>loads too fast
holy shit youre dumb

I have 2 ssds. Windows is on the old one, no problem with this one. The new one is an nvme. The problem is that sometimes when I boot up, nvme will not be detected by windows. If I reset (not turning the power off) and go to BIOS, it doesn't show up in BIOS as well. However, if I actually power off, turn on and go to BIOS before going to windows, the nvme is there and everything works perfectly good.

Attached: 2019_04_10_02_24_IMG_2155.gif (119x300, 53K)

Recently replaced my 1TB WD Green HDD and my 500GB 850 EVO SSD for a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, which is the fastest SSD available atm.
I don't use my rig in pic for serious work, and the only reason I wanted an M.2 drive was because it allowed me to remove my 3.5'' cage and 2.5'' trays, since the Crystal 460X is a bitch to work in. Even with the extra space it took me 4 hours to get my cable management perfect, but as you can see the result is amazing, and I'm still going to add custom sleeved cable extensions, and a Vertical GPU mount.
Since an NVME M.2 was only a little bit more than a SATA one (like the Crucial P1), I decided I might as well go NVME. However, instead of getting a cheap one, I ended up getting this premium one simply because I sniped it for a super cheap price brand new on an ebay auction, and while still significantly more expensive, I figured that if everything in my system is premium, I might as well just pair it with a premium SSD.
So obviously large file transfers are much faster, but the important benchmark that is indicative of real world performance that you should look at isn't the sequential benchmark, but the 4K random benchmarks, as these simulate normal use better, so keep an eye out for those.
I can confidently say that I don't feel MUCH of a difference in terms of boot times, snappiness, game load times etc, BUT I am using Win 7, which is noticeably slower than windows 10 in terms of boot times and speed

Attached: rig.jpg (3024x4032, 3.36M)

>not having your OS on the NVME drive
are these the people that go to /g/ asking everyone to check their build?

I'm lazy.
Does that answer your question?

>Loading is so dependent on your CPU's ability to decompress files

This is true & also why Denuvo increases loading in games

that's just a waste of money user, get your shit together

No it ain't, he saved like 200gb off of his NVME drive for games

Why would you need nvme as a boot drive when budget ssds boot w10 in under 5 seconds?

>being such a fatass that sliding your arm across a desk and pressing buttons is such a task that you can't even get your money's worth on expensive computer equipment
answer this, are both SSD's from samsung by any chance?

Cause my PC boots in like 2. Only reason to buy it is because they can transfer files at 3gbs+ vs a sata 3 SSDs limit of 500mbs. It's worth it for longevity

Man fuck you and your shit I had to try like 3 different software and even after like 4 successful copies the Copied OS still refused to boot. I've built 100s of PCs and copying a windows OS is a crapshoot

Like and said, windows boot up fast enough that I don't feel like reinstalling windows on the new ssd. Better just use it to store my games.
And no Samsung, I'm poor as fuck and bought a Kingston one way back then and recently the budget Intel one because they have a sale. Still good enough for me as I only played games on a normal HDD back then.

You didn't answer my question. Are they Samsung SSD's or not? This is important

Okay that sucks. Samsung's data migration software is amazing. Made moving my OS super easy. Anyway, I had to switch my OS from a silicon power SSD to a Samsung one, and I used Macrium Reflects free trial and that worked. Why not just do a clean install? Just uninstall steam games that have cloud saves, backup any other saves, and/or backup shit onto a hard drive you have laying around and then reinstall everything after

what do you mean, you are pressing the f8 or f10 key every time your computer starts just to pick the HD?

just go into the bios and hard-set it.

and if you're talking about a boot manager picking windows from the wrong harddrive, then configure your boot manager

Im on a 3570k and I upgraded to a 970 evo plus from a 850 pro.

Its definitely faster, but I didnt really have a problem with the 850 pro.

that being said, If you're on a HDD, its time to upgrade. especially if its a laptop 5400rpm drive. GET RID OF THAT SHIT IMMEDIATELY

What if I have a strong CPU and play games with lots of loading like MMOs?

>Then you have the shitty devs that decompress with only one thread.

ohhh I loooove that. HW manufacturers make this amaaaaazingly fast hardware then devs are like "just to be safe Ill do everything on a single thread". They stick with that through the entire development cycle then at the end its like "gee, how can we optimize? can we do all those loads on different threads?" "no, our system is dependent on those single threaded loads. if you change that we'll have to rewrite half the system".
I see it happen ALL THE FUCKING TIME. its kind of hilarious actually

I'm not him I buy crucial because it's usually the 3rd cheapest brand I've heard off. I just know that I either get the transfer working the 1st time or like the 5th time. No inbetween.

The crucial P1 is what you should get if you don't care about NVME performance, because like I said earlier, it is only marginally more expensive than a SATA drive, and you get a low end NVME drive, which is still better than a SATA drive, however under heavy loads I'm pretty sure it can dip down close to SATA speeds. Crucial is a good buy

I have a 970evo installed on my mobo.
But I still haven't gone into bios and turned it on yet.
/g/ told me to use it as a scratch disk, but people in this thread are saying their windows loads faster.
In comparison to an ssd or an hdd? obviously it's faster than the latter but I've had ssd's for a while.
I don't have much use for a scratch disk atm, but I'm inclined to believe /g/ over Yea Forums usually.
Does it actually boot windows 10 faster or are you memeing?
also I have almost the same build as you but the 680x.
I want to get some custom sleeved cables and vert mount the gpu as well, I've got a phanteks bracket for it as the cases vertical mount is too close to the glass.

is your CPU older or newer than the i5-3570k?

if its newer then ur mobo should support it. if not then just buy a new mobo lel

it supports it, I was just asking if using it as a windows10 boot drive will be faster than an ssd, /g/ told me it wouldn't.

Yeah I went overkill on my last build. Boot Drive is a 500GB Samsung NVME plus an 800GB Intel NVME along with a 500GB Samsung SATA SSD from my previous machine and a 4TB WD HDD for bulk storage. It's the first build I've had in years where I have zero concern about what drive to install things on since I've got SSD for days.

I'm probably going to go with the one from Cable mod, didn't know about the phanteks one but I'll check it out. I think I'm going to go with white sleeving and cables. While the LL 120's, vengeance RGB, LED strips, and the Platinum water block all synced through iCUE is a sight to behold, the all black theme going on really swallows all the light, so I figured having some white in their to reflect the light would really make it pop more. I'll sleeve the AIO tubing, and then get extensions for the 24 pin and PCIE cables. I just really wish the RGB market wasn't so fragmented. My mobo has some really nice lighting and the 1080ti logo does too, and when I vert mount it, it has this really cool glowing X, both synced through RGB fusion, but I usually just leave them off unless I'm doing a static colour, plus RGB fusion is a terrible software, and it often shuts off my RAM lights if I don't kill it in task manager. I set it not to activate on startup, but somehow it bypasses it, so for now I've removed it. Also, if anyone's getting into the RGB market, Corsair is the way to go. iCUE is the best implementation by far and the LL 120's look better than anything out atm

I'm in the same boat, their forums are constantly full of bitching. Amazon reviews are people moaning about iCue.
Besides some weird rgb artifacts (gone after last patch) it works pretty great. If I try to sync my gpu or mobo to it, windows gets fucked up for me sometimes.
I just set the gpu and mobo to white and dick with all the other color stuff in iCue.

Doesn't the white light wash everything out a bit tho? Or does it add to the lighting without clashing? I'll try that I guess and see what it looks like. Pic related is a better look inside my rig. Vertical GPU kills two birds with one stone by hiding my USB and Audio ketchup mustard cables. I'll then move my SSD to the top mount to better display it and keep it from being hidden. Replacing those ugly PCIE cables will do wonders but I had an idea of putting a custom decal/sticker onto my PSU shroud. Maybe make it reflective or white, and give my build a name or something. One of the strips is tucked away in the bottom there so it should really add some flair. Another Idea I had was maybe placing a little figurine or something on top of the shroud to add some personalization. something like a portal turret figurine would look cool and reflect the RGB. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. I could also get a white M.2 heatsink or paint one white, but I've been doing some research and apparently heatsinks on SSD's can sometimes backfire since certain parts of the SSD actually prefer to be somewhat warm

forgot pic

Attached: rig 2.jpg (3024x4032, 3.05M)

just found out you can get white USB 3.0 internal cables, so that'll help too. I'm thinking of getting a right angle adapter for a more clean exit, but some say that cables shouldn't be hidden, they should just look beautiful, so perhaps i will leave it with the curve to show it off

Yes. I upgraded from an HDD to a 500GB 970 m.2 and I noticed that my games loaded considerably faster than before. Get them while they are cheap because its almost PC building season.