Why the fuck are RPGs called RPGs? Aren't all games technically RPGs? Post some good fucking RPGs

Why the fuck are RPGs called RPGs? Aren't all games technically RPGs? Post some good fucking RPGs

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 3.23M)

Well to ánsoor your question. I think RPGs are called that because the developer are imagining that you will pretend to actually be the video game character while playing; to superimpose your mental state into a protagonist like a psycho.

Attached: F638F260-7F13-40C7-A63C-4610AA225229.jpg (4032x3024, 3.52M)

wrpg/jrpg/drpg/srpg/etc.. is typically just used to describe what to expect given the long-standing use of the terms. It's never to be taken in a literal sense.

If I say JRPG generally you'll know what kind of game it is, and so the term is serving its purpose.

Attached: nepgear.jpg (1076x1162, 155K)

It means the game has numbers

Basically any game in a fantasy setting and has swords n magic are RPGs now

RPGs are games where the mechanics are adaptations of story elements, predominantly games where progression in the game mechanics is at a rate determined by the story

Some of my favorites are Dragon’s Dogma, TWEWY, Fallout: New Vegas, and Devil Survivor. Got any recommendations?

Attached: joshua shrug.png (375x402, 46K)

>tetris is rpg
you know the answer already why post

Stop wasting your life on semantics, dumb faggot. You're not smart or clever for questioning words.

Sure was, Tetris has a story and everything and a role to play.

Most of the story was just in the NES booklet though.

because rpgs hail from pen and paper rpgs like dungeons and dragons

who cares

Persona, The Witcher especially 1 and 3, Final Fantasy, other SMT games, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest

(As has been pointed out literally countless times,) JRPGs are "adventure games with RPG stats". WRPGs are "any genre with RPG stats, but no anime faggotry".

>Aren't all games technically RPGs?
Super Mario Maker is not.

RPG as a video game genre just means focus on character stats.

I think RPGs are called RPGs because of the emphasis on the role or multiple roles you play.

Attached: Resonance of Fate (2).jpg (1920x1080, 509K)

RPG just means the game has stats and numbers that govern the way the game works, and you, the player, have to allocate them in a particular way. It can also mean you control multiple characters with different roles at once and have to manipulate them all to defeat enemies.

You can't modify the damage of Ryu's punches in Street Fighter and you can't allocate points to make Mario's Kart go faster or whatever so those aren't traditionally called RPGs. You can give your Charizard a protein to embiggen it's attack stat, so Pokemon is an RPG.

Or something. Who fucking knows?

>Why the fuck are RPGs called RPGs?
Original RPGs were basically trying to make D&D. You can't really put a D&D campaign into a video game, though. The core of D&D is having a GM who can figure out how the world reacts to whatever you decide to do it the game; it works precisely because it has a person deciding how the stupid thing you tried actually works. But a video game doesn't have a person running it; it requires a programmer to figure out every possibility in the game beforehand and program stuff in. So it can get large and complex, but is still ultimately limited.

On the other hand, basic dungeon crawlers are easily doable in video games. Since it's just a series of rooms and enemies can only want to kill the PC, there are very limited ways a player can interact with a dungeon. (Especially with certain spells removed.) So most early D&D-like video games were just basic dungeon crawlers. They were called "RPGs" do to the relationship, even though the core of the RPG wasn't in the game - it was to establish how the two were related instead.

Then Japan got into things. They made spinoff games based on the video game RPG, not really knowing the original D&D RPG, and these games were "RPGs" by relation as well. So we got further and further from what a RPG is with video game RPGs. At this point, VGRPGs are their own genre and have little to nothing to do with actual roleplaying.

>Aren't all games technically RPGs?
No, because you aren't actually playing the role to any meaningful degree. Mario can't go out to get a pizza. Halo can't build defense turrets or orbital bombard a planet rather than going down himself. Sure, that's not really an option in most situations, but the point of RPGs is that the player is free to do whatever and to suffer for doing whatever. Video games are limited in how they can present that, and most video games don't even try.

Pathfinder Kingmaker IS good user! You SHOULD play Pathfinder Kingmaker AND romance Valerie! She IS my wife! (She is! She is!)

Attached: Valerie.jpg (702x700, 123K)

give a good JRPG for PSP

Please respond

Attached: cat pepe.jpg (700x649, 77K)

Not with that image, no.

It's just a leftover from table top RPGs, which are actually distinct from other genres of table top games.

Damn, I really wanna finish this game one day but it burned me out at some point. I stopped playing when you first start to manage the camp and I've totally forgotten the story so Id have to start over. But then, Im afraid Ill get burned out again and stop, then forget the story again.

>The core of D&D is having a GM who can figure out how the world reacts to whatever you decide to do it the game; it works precisely because it has a person deciding how the stupid thing you tried actually works.
I understand what you mean by this, but I hate how many newcomers to TTRPGs misinterpret this sentiment as being able to make up whatever quirky nonsense they want or that a DM enforcing the rules is "railroading."

Games that revolve around character progression by either scaling the game around how strong you are or require you to find a way to circumvent brute forcing your way around stronger enemies, either through indirect story driven means or strategic gameplay choices
Most modern games are simplistic RPGs to some degree so the older more rigid definitions are being eroded by current design trends

Yes, the flip side of being able to do whatever you want is that everybody is responsible for making the game enjoyable. If you have one player being a dick then it drags things down for everybody. The GM is not there to stop others from fucking things up for everybody else. The GM is another player, albeit one who is interpreting actions into game mechanics and deciding how the "world" acts and reacts in the situation.

they are based of of table top games and jrpgs are based off of games based off of table top games