Is it an actual good game?

Is it an actual good game?

Attached: 1559938133697.png (1679x977, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0FW23bamIZI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

yes
fuck tilesets

No. It's an epic greentext generator. I can't imagine playing such a game to actually enjoy the gameplay.

I enjoy it.

it's one of those sandbox make-your-own-fun type games

Its NOT a game

Reading text of what supposedly happen between you dashes is NOT a game make

If you’re an actual masochist to spend enough time memorizing how to play that shit, then yeah, why not

If your PC can handle it, yes. FPS death is a real thing.

no its retarded its only redeeming feature is that no matter what you do no faggot moderator will ban you for freely expressing yourself in it

Absolutely. Anyone who thinks it isn't fun or the gameplay isn't gamey enough is just a braindead zoomer.

yes but the UI is absolutely garbage specially the military screen

Yes. There's just a lot of misinformation about what the game actually is.

I love DF, but it's definitely not a good game, and seeing where toady set his priorities it might still be a shit game when it's finished one day.

Sure but you need to be in a certain mood to really enjoy it.

As you can see this game is very polarizing.

Pretty much, if you like being creative and making things in games, it's great. It's like virtual legos. Tons of options for creativity. If you just want to do something brainless where the game holds your hand it's not for you.

It has the best melee combat system ever designed.

This game isn't are dauntingly impossible to learn as most people say, you just have to take a bit of effort to start learning.

You only really need to know designations, building, workshops, assigning labors, farming and brewing with plump helmets, where to embark, and what to embark with.

This can all be learned from one page on a wiki.

After that, if you see something fucking or interesting, google it.

It's a sandbox in the true sense that you need to make your own fun in it.

yes. very time consuming, but it's great.

>Reading text of what supposedly happen between you dashes is NOT a game
literally were some of the first games.

t. zoomer

One of the best ever made. I say that without exaggeration, no other game I've played has ever been this engrossing

yes, but stop thinking it as a game and start thinking of it as a role-play story and world history generator.
if you min-max fortress mode too hard you'll quickly realize just how simple the game actually is.
Enemy invasion? Close the gate and you now cant be touched.
Forgotten Beast roaming the caves? Block them up with a single 1 tile wall.
Accidentally open up a tunnel into hell?, just lock a floor hatch and it'll hold them back indefinitely.

What the game's main focus is and what it excels at is this .
If you want a colony/base management simulator play ONI, Rimworld, a Settlers game or something instead.
t.long time DF player.

Attached: 1548243304335.jpg (773x489, 61K)

>tfw new versions are running slower and slower
>mfw back in v0.34.11 I could run a 200man fort for decades on a 5x5 embark at 100 FPS.
>now nu-dorf shits itself at 100 population on a 2x2 after 4 years
>now nu-dorf is controlled by Canadian trannies and the one """modder""" who single-handedly ruined the modding community by stealing people's mods.
>one by one v0.34 mods are disappearing from the internet as mega links and dropbox accounts die off one by one.

Attached: 1541994930348.jpg (727x863, 163K)

unplayable without them.

this is a big part of it for me.
i've played the shit out of DF and I still play it from time to time, but i have to be in a very specific mood to play it.
it's not even hard, it's just the amount of micro and clicking and fucking around to do tedious shit like bedrooms (even WITH macros and quikfort) is just such a pain in the dick.
My last few forts I've been as lazy as to just make a massive, elaborate dorm instead of even bothering with bedrooms anymore. shit's such a hassle

Attached: 1533959535171.png (2240x2380, 832K)

I’ve only played Adventure Mode so far and signed up for the leddit gladiator tournament

Square tileset is based though

I wanted to wait for the Steam release to play Dwarf Fortress again because I assumed it would be a major patch that adds a lot of new features, but I'm starting to feel like I should just re-download it now. Should I wait?

It's purely a new graphics layer.

Yes, but right now it's in a weird spot where lots of "gamey" elements have been taken out for simulation mechanics, but since the whole system is not in place yet, lots of games end up being pretty uneventful.

steam release doesnt have anything extra, just a shitty tileset and giving half of the pricetag to trannies in Canada

>and giving half of the pricetag to trannies in Canada
elaborate?

This is the main problem with the game. Once you get your base set up, you pretty much need to actively choose to fail on purpose in order to lose. It's just trivially easy to make your fortress invincible if you think about safety at all. So, in order to keep it exciting you need to make bad choices on purpose like not setting up "block everything" levers, not having your mining area partitioned in case you break into someplace dangerous, not having a well guarded entrance with a drawbridge, etc. And if you do just make yourself invincible, you just build whatever your goal is and nothing happens, it's just boring.

Yeah but wait for the exclusive Epic Games Store release.

quick rundown for you
>a couple of forumfags with post-counts in the 100's of thousands convince Toady to do a Steam release
>he reluctantly agrees because of the American Healthcare system
>Steam release is being led by some indy game devs in Canada, consisting of some woman and a couple of trannies
>they dont actually play DF, they just use the pony12 forums as their personal hangout space
>they get a couple of "influential modders/coders" from the community to help
>one of them is M*ph, a rich german kid who's famous for killing the DF modding scene by blatantly stealing everyone's mods for his modpack
>the other is kind of based but is the only one who does any work
>Steam release is just a 1:1 copy of the normal game but with an ugly "official" tileset no-one likes and a couple of sound effects
>doesnt come with any of the utilities that normal DF players sometimes use (like DFhack, soundsense, legendsviewer, quikfort etc)
>of the $15 cost of the Steam version, $5 goes to Steam, $2 goes to the trannies, $1 goes to M*ph and Toady gets the rest.
or something along those lines.
It's almost but not quite as bad as what happened with Cataclysm:DDA, except Toady is still alive and hasnt quit yet.
None of this would've happened if America had a healthcare system.

I thought steam release was free what the fuck is the point

to make money in case he gets sick because the US has shit healthcare.
He's only even doing this because his brother just survived cancer and narrowly avoided massive medical bills because of insurance.
Toady's a shut-in fat neet who only eats pringles and drinks soda all day. No-one's going to be willing to give him insurance.
So he's doing the Steam release hoping to get some extra money from the average casual newfag who's too lazy to go to his website.

WRONG

First games were like actual games like tennis

some of the first games, nigger.

Yes!

Attached: Kobold Ambush.gif (333x333, 122K)

>ever played "true" roguelikes

look at this guy

Attached: Ancient Domains Of Mystery.png (1024x768, 91K)

youtube.com/watch?v=0FW23bamIZI

you son of a bitch i was about to post it

>tfw want to go back to .34 but the interactivity missions give are too much to pass up
Game runs so slow I usually just leave it running in the background and check on it occasionally

>autism lisp voice
>le funny nigger pic
>haha stock images lol!
Who watches this shit?

Read the wiki and repeat the same gimmicks ad nauseam. It's trash.
The systems in these games have to actually be completely intuitive and transparent in how they work to allow experimentation. This game does not. No, it doesn't.

Doesn't matter, its not a real game

I mean, the guy's is no genius, but no youtuber has a better sense of humour strangely.

but it has been for nearly 40 years.

>exaggerating events in a game
>adhd autism editing
>copy-pasting memes
Wow, what a unique, unmatched humorist!

I said he was no genius, implying he's not unique or that his sense of humour is not unmatched by any measurements.
But go ahead and show me a youtuber that does better jokes.

fp, as always, bp

good simulator, mediocre game, bad UI

How do i start to actually play adventure mode? I love the battle system from what i gathered of it with all the limbs and organs and aimed strikes, but game is just... empty. Nothing to do. What am i missing? How do i play it? I started a couple times and did a few quests but every time i get some dead end shit like search for a cult in a town and its just impossible.

I can name MDE/BOMBSTRAP, Mandalore and Mechagamezilla off the top of my head, all of whom put a lot more effort and thought into their humor than just copypasting memes.

UI is great. all possible hotkeys are shown to you at all times and they're easy to remember.
stop trying to use the mouse.

if you play an old version like v0.34 you can go to a town and straight up ask people for a quest. it'll put a quest marker for you to go to. adventure mode was simple in this version though so the quests were generally "go here and kill X".
In modern versions you have to ask around for rumors and there's no quest markers. you'll likely need a notepad handy so you can write down shit you hear and refer to it later.
if someone says "go to Cheese Town, I last heard the bandits were around there" then go to that town and ask around some more.
Use legendsviewer to get a better look at the world you're walking around in, so you know which settlements/towns/cities are where and what the political situation of the world is like as a whole.
I'm not a big adventurefag though so that's about all I can offer.

If you want to be "gamey" a bit you can do shit in adventure mode to make you stronger, like
>make a fortress, make forges, make masterwork sets of armor/weapons out of iron, steel or adamantine. retire fortress. visit fortress in adventure mode, help yourself to free gear.
>start with 1 point in swimming. train swimming by going up and down a river over and over. make sure you get out of the water at sun-down in case the river freezes, killing you. repeat until your swimming and it's relevant stats are decently high.
>find a harmless animal like a bunny or tortoise. wrestle it, grapple everything. break every single one of its bones. bite everything. repeat until skills/stats are high.
>find a stone, pick it up, drop it. make a macro of this. repeat 1000's of times. congrats, you have max throwing and can pretty much 1-hit KO everything by throwing rocks, skulls, coins or basically anything nearby, like pic related

Attached: 1543428077708.jpg (676x609, 97K)

But Mandalore has no Dwarf Fortress video. What's the point of naming authors if they aren't related to this thread? Console war faggotry with youtubers, seriously dude? Fuck right off to Pleddit.

to add
DONT attack any animal that says (Stray). It means it belongs to a person/town/civilization. Attacking someone's chicken will generally cause their whole civilization to go war with you and attack you on sight.
If something's GIANT it'll probably kill you. Giant Elephants are 10x the size of elephants.
Undead are cunts, but easy to avoid if you become undead yourself.
Never fuck with anything that has hooves. Hoofed creatures (like horses, giraffes, camels, sheep, cows etc) can AND WILL one hit KO you with a kick in the head.
If you're injured in Adventure mode, sleeping a night generally recovers all wounds. If your wound doesn't recover after resting then you're probably fucked.
Infected toenails and the like will kill you, the only way out being either becoming a were-creature and surviving the month or becoming undead.

Becoming something like a were-creature, necromancer, vampire, thrall etc gives a massive boost to your stats then locks them.
You can be multiple of the above, but only two and only if you do them in a certain order.

>put a lot more effort and thought into their humor than just copypasting memes.
Your "choices" aren't any better.

>some nigger shit(?)
>unfunny meme loving fuck with adhd autism editing
>literally who so'y boy (probably yourself)

Attached: memes.png (1075x488, 576K)

babyzoomzoom

Yes
Do you need us to remind you that Tetris is a good game too?
>it's not a game because it's not a shitty adhd cutscene simulator like DMC

>pixelshit

Attached: 1522888752204.gif (217x199, 588K)

Jesus, look at all this soul

this is the best tileset
it's from 2008 and it has never been updated
but it walks the perfect line between DF abstraction and representational imagery
I hope that the steam version supports messing with the tileset because I'm going to fuckin try and expand on this if I can

Attached: file.png (256x256, 11K)

Attached: file.png (223x378, 80K)

FMV games are old so i guess those are games

Lads, if I want to learn how to play what's the best way to learn?

are these undead elves?

this, the parrying and dodging is on point and is fun, pretty realistic too as battles are more or less determined in one or two good hits, unless you are fighting some giant rape monster like a bronze colossus or a titan. Also just how you fight has so many different options.
>sword in one hand, other hand empty
>slash and block with sword, try to grab or punch with other hand
>dual wield
>double the blocking and slashing but can't grab or defend against ranged attacks
>sword and shield
>attack with sword, block and shield bash with shield
>not as good at offensive as other methods
>weird animal man hybrid monster?
>6 hands
>different weapon in every hand + shield
>poison bites
>stinger?
>arms get cut really easy
and I didn't even get into ranged combat yet, endless possibilities plus when they add magic there will be even more.

lmao 2cat

It has more and better gameplay than the American AAA industry's average annual output combined.

Funny cutscenes are as interaction as text games retard

THIS

Attached: Dwarf Fortress.gif (682x711, 203K)

>shit healthcare because it doesn't support shut ins who only eat pringles and drink soda
I like the guy but trying to turn this into a political thing when he's clearly doing it to himself is something else

So which is the lastest version that's uncucked?

whoa nice pick user I remember way back when trying to get this one to work on my save but could never figure it out

I finally just switched the creatures graphics instead

Attached: The Lanturn of Manors.png (797x598, 44K)

Its the best game but Im a fucking retard.

I had a really nice little base going last time I played, had spent about a week re-learning the game for the tenth time. Alas, I let the knowledge lapse. That base is still available but I now have no idea how to play again.

>if you see something fucking or interesting
>if you see something fucking

You can just run a python script that fixes the gay shit

Whats this now?

Toady has spent the last years coding gay demisexual gender non-binary Dorfs of color into DF over the last 3 years. And gay cats and dogs and turkeys etc. and lots of emotion ms and poetry. All because he wanted that sjw poon

ignore this faggot there are sometimes gay people in the game but there is nothing stopping you from deleting the code making them like said or from just making another mermaid bone extractor except for gays.

>tfw american
>get cancer at a young age
>have to go to the emergency room/doctor several times a month for a year
>have to get chemo drugs
>costs go up to the hundreds of thousands
>still havent paid a dime because I had basic health insurance through my work that i paid $60 a month for
God it must suck being a eurofaggot

Yeah but they cut off your dick as soon as you're born in th me US

Bar least euros don't organ harvest baby dicks

got me there. Im not cutting my sons dick at least

He's clearly providing value to society, why shouldn't he be able to get health care without bankrupting himself?

transexual and asexual dwarves are objetively the best dwarves for gameplay and mechanical purposes though.

Toady has ignored the completely fucked up gameplay for over a decade and just keeps adding more and more random history generation. It's not a good game.

That's not keeping him from eating a salad

Attached: 1562045112263.jpg (250x364, 13K)

there aren't even such things in the game yet, but I do kinda want tranny dwarves just to find interesting ways to kill/maim, not to mention that your doctors start real low level so any trannies would likely die on the operating table if not be horribly disfigured from all the medical malpractice, only to be meme'd the second they leave the office by one of many traps I would have set up.

for fort mode, v0.34 with mods.
for adventure mode, latest version.