Do arena shooters stand a chance in this current gaming climate?

Do arena shooters stand a chance in this current gaming climate?

Do new players even want to invest time to get good?

Should Quake go battle royale mode?

Attached: 9618_quake_431225ef437fd94bcaee8c09ad978ae1[2].png (950x633, 1.08M)

The problem with arena shooters starts all the way back with Quake 3. Multiplayer only is a death sentence. We need a single-player campaign to attract new people. Arena shooters are completely foreign to the modern (young) audience. The only way to introduce it is to use a campaign.

They are stale, get over it and stop deluding yourself into thinking you are some super skilled hardcore gamer when kids can probably stomp you in Fortnite

Arena shooters have always been niche. Most people aren't quick enough to play them. I know im gonna get flamed for saying that but its the truth. Only people with fast motor skills and quick thinking get good at them. That's why slow paced fps games are are more popular like tactical shooters and battle Royale. Even with quake I use to play quakeworld religiously back in the day but quake didn't become mainstream until quake 3. They had to slow the game down to get people interested and even then it wasn't a mega phenomenon. It wasn't until counter strike 1.0 that online shooters became massive because the slower gameplay appealed to more people.

Listen, Arenafags. Your genre was on its death bed 10 years ago, to say nothing of their pitiful condition today. You need to accept this fact with grace, just as the RTSfags and CRPGtists have done before you. Support the occasional indie game that happens to come your way, instead of disavowing it for not being exactly like the old. That is the best you will get, and you can be grateful for that, as they are most often passion projects. As for the rest, there is nothing you can do. Battle Royales have millions of players monthly, and even they will fade away in the wake of the the Next Big Thing.

Attached: bigfoot.png (900x900, 1.61M)

I grew up playing arena shooters and I smash most kids at Fortnite and I only play once in a while. Fortnite takes skill but it's still slow garbage compared to highlevel arena shooters.

Extremely redpilled post

quake champions has bad netcode(Q3A leagues better, there are videos on this) and no support for custom maps so it may as well be dead. i still think it was fun though.

I'm not so sure about this. Sure it helps to be fast, but even slower FPSes like Counter-Strike relies on quick reflexes, perhaps more than Quake since there are fewer mechanics to make up for slower reflexes.
Another objection I have is that it doesn't matter if you're slow, as long as the people you play with are comparably slow. I suck whenever I play Quake 3 online, but I still have a lot of fun playing with friends over LAN, which to me is the intended way to play these things.

You only have to be fast in CS for a split second. The rest of the time youre staring at corners or doors for 5 minutes waiting for somebody to pop their head out. Theres a lot less involved.

nah they are boring and time consuming to git gud
most people who played them are 25-30+ with no time to invest time over a FPS that is just point-click and win
and young audiences are gay
so no, genre is dead.

>Salty limp wristed zoomer with no motor skills detected

If they were that easy you'd be good at them. But you're not.

>Theres a lot less involved.
You just described a game where success is almost purely decided by reflexes. Things like movement and map control in Quake isn't that reliant on reflexes, in my opinion, so the additional skills involved in Quake makes it less reliant on reflexes.

Yeah, QC was growing until the december update

Great game, bad management

Dead as a doornail, and absolutely not. QC is bad enough as it is being a barebones hero shooter bolted to the rotting carcass of Quake. The genre peaked with Q3 and UT 2k4, and despite respectable stabs at re-establishing the genre, nothing's really ever nailed the blend of speed, power and fun tools like those entries did. If we had ever gotten that next-gen UT, and it had the modding backing of 2k4, maybe things would be different, but there's no point in dwelling on what didn't happen.

Attached: 20180121230109_1.jpg (1680x1050, 354K)

Is that the ballistic mod? Great stuff in ut 2004

Have you ever played quake? It's reflexes, map control and movement all in one. In CS you literally do nothing for minutes at a time while waiting for somebody to pop out of a corner. I know you're feelings are hurt but please dude. You're being stupid now.

just delete quake champions from existence and make quake live free again you fucking jews
no one wants to play that unoptimized garbage with trash netcode

what's with the amount of doom posting quake champions recently. seems to always be a thread up.

That's just what I claimed.
The claim is that success in Quake is less reliant on reflexes than in CS, since map control and movement is not that reliant on good reflexes. Adding more mechanics (not related to reflexes) doesn't make the game more reliant on reflexes.

im currently waiting 45 miutes in matchmaking for 1-1 duel ranked.

Why'd you post a hero shooter to start this thread?

Yep. Bloody Hell with everything set to permanent will still crash my relatively beefy modern box after about an hour, but hot damn does it look amazing. I need to try it with the 64-bit executable.

Attached: 20180419221456_1.jpg (1680x1050, 550K)

lots of exceptional crpgs recently though.

Movement as well as aim requires reflexes my dude. Are you claiming movement in an arena shooter doesn't require reflexes?

CS fags are delusional, don't bother with him.

Just play dm. No one plays duel.
No one wants to play dual. Its all teamplay now.

Ballistic Mod is more or less what a modern arena fps should be. Modern weapons with ads, reloading, different handling and ranges from peashooters to BFGs in the map. Best of both worlds.

Q3A is pretty fun but the last time I played it the servers were very hit and miss. A lot of railgun servers which aren't everyone's thing.

>The only "Arena shooters" left are QC, TF2 and OW
At least we're not RTSfags right guys?

Attached: 1539910540150.png (960x696, 669K)

>turning your skill based arena shooter into a hero shooter with a gay cosmetics system to get 12 year olds to play
>surprise surprise it doesnt work kids couldnt give less of a shit about arena shooters
OH NO NO NO

TF2 is not an arena shooter.

RTS is better off.

>entire AoE series being remade competently
>AoE4 confirmed
>WC3 remake

>OW and TF2
>arena shooters
uhhh

Neither is QC

this

Yes it is.

Why you seethe over cs so much for 20 years?

>Should Quake go battle royale mode?
I was reading an old Carmack interview (circa 1997) and he mentioned the possibility of 150-player deathmatches on massive maps.

it's over

i will be jumping on diabotical with a tiny sliver of hope but yeah if that's dead on arrival then it's most certainly over

quake and UT players don't really play games anymore

Everybody that loved Quake Should've supported Titanfall

Attached: 1448621865132.png (302x211, 88K)

>support EA
no.

arena shooters were never good.

Why are nerds always so annoyingly picky and pedantic. That's why Quake is dead now. EA won't die from you dipshits not playing Titanfall you idiot

Attached: 1371004007612.png (300x300, 42K)

Not him but it's called integrity. My actions won't stop them but I at least know I haven't supported them in any capacity.

You people do know that if you just supported the good things they did and not support the bad things would actually change for the positive instead of the good things they do not being done anymore.

Unless Soccer and Football suddenly become irrelevant EA won't fail. It's a losing battle until competitors can make rival games.

>Should Quake go battle royale mode?
would have been a lot smarter than going MOBAwatch tbqh

I doubt their shitty engine could support a big map or 60+ players anyway but it would be their best chance to make the game succeed. Anyone with a brain will be switching over from QC to Diabotical when it releases sometime near the end of this year.

Attached: file.png (1552x873, 1.31M)

I do support the good games, Titanfall wasn't one of those however.

you forgot QL

it has less players than QC but actually feels less dead since there's a server browser and no "skill based match making in a dead game so you sit in queue for 5 minutes in between each game"

it's also a much better game than QC

They'd have to do something to address people's short attention spans. Playing the same map and round for hours with no externally system defined conclusion isn't enough anymore.
Also needs dancing.

>it in queue for 5 minutes in between each game
Yet I still get matched against players that annihilate me, Just drop me into a random match and be done with it

Fast, high skilled games will always be too niche for todays market

>Yet I still get matched against players that annihilate me
that's what happens when the game has less than 1000 peak players

Not true, games like Fortnite are surprisingly fast and skill-based, the problem is there hasn't been a good arena shooter since Quake 3 in 1999, or Painkiller in 2004. Quake Live doesn't count since it's just a Quake 3 re-release. It's no surprise the genre is dead when there hasn't been a good game in 15 years. Games like Toxikk, Lawbreakers, etc didn't fail because nobody likes arena shooters, they failed because they were awful games. Hopefully Diabotical is at least a moderate success.

how is unranked pubs fun? its so boring. literally nothing on the line