Bad sonic games that were actually good

Attached: Sonic_Rivals_2.png (242x413, 196K)

I played the first rivals and thought it was worse than Sonic 4 Episode 1

This one was actually quite a good take on a fighting game.

Attached: Sonic-the-Hedgehog-4-Episode-2-logo1.jpg (3445x2756, 2.13M)

It was great save for the required multiplayer for 100%

>Fighting
It was a Racing game. Kinda.

Sonic Battle (gba) is the single greatest sonic game in existence

Not sonic 2 battle, no no

Rivals 2 improved it alot. Skip 1 for sure.
Based. I put it equal to Advance 1.
Best spritework and story of any Sonic game. I wish they made a sequel.

Pic related was considered bad in reviews or compared to Rush 1. But I liked the boat minigames, island exploration, and the comfy island setting. Really reminded me of SA1's story progress. I don't see what's wrong with it.

Attached: rush.jpg (500x451, 80K)

It was both. you had a race, followed by a one on one combat section, followed by a boss fight.

I played the game to death during commutes, so I have fond memories of it.

But I mean, if it's bad then it's not good right?

Sonic 06 has a great soundtrack.

Fite me
The Rivals games were alright, too

Attached: Sonic_and_the_Black_Knight_Cover.jpg (256x360, 138K)

It baffles me to this day why this was considered 'bad' in reviews, level design is a big step up from Rush, setting was comfy and collecting material was a fun distraction from the main game. The only negative it has over the very well received Rush was Naganuma not coming back for the soundtrack but even then the music's still really good. I'm certain it was just bad timing, it was sandwiched between a bunch of flops and Sonic could do no right with critics at the time.

As much as people talk about "the dark age of Sonic", he had a bunch of games that ranged from decent to good on handhelds from 2002-2010.

No need to fight, brother. Black Knight was Jason's best voice work as Sonic, I just wish they'd rerelease this and Secret Rings without waggle controls so I can enjoy it.

The soundtrack was a miss, but Rush Advent fixed the multiple bottomless pit issues and had plenty of content post game and a mission mode. The only letdown was Pirate's Island being the final stage and the bosses being a bit bland.

I've always sorta liked sonic heroes.

Emulate it. Satbk on dolphin is the definitive experience. Can't speak for Secret Rings.

Sonic Unleashed didn't deserve the massive amounts of hate from IGN, G4TV, and other sites. They sucked at Daytime stages from their gameplay previews and said "it's too fast" as a complaint. The werehog was decent too and if it had a sequel with it, the werehog could've been improved tremendously with a better moveset, higher jump, and faster gameplay.

Attached: Sonic-Unleashed.png (1464x1547, 1.43M)

>It baffles me to this day why this was considered 'bad' in reviews
bias

The best way to play it is still the Generations Unleashed mod, which combines Generations' superior gameplay with the Unleashed levels which required more skill.

Overall, Sonic Generations was both a boon and a curse. It was the first TRULY GOOD console mainline Sonic game since SA2, yet it fucked us over with boost Sonic for Forces and the foreseeable future.

Colors already fucked the boost system. Colors was decent but played it too safe and lacked soul. Forces was copying colors with the wisps and the boost gadge being inspired by it.
What hurts more is that Lost World killed any hype for 3D classic sonic or adventure coming back.

Even if Unleashed had no werehog, it still would've had bad reviews anyway. People complained about hub worlds and medal collecting. It was never gonna be good to them. Sonic '06 left a bitter taste to start the sonic cycle and "sonic was never good" meme.

Fuck the classicpurists and the SA3 is '06 fags. Sonic Adventure was the best 3D interpretation of the classic games and was better than SA2 in gameplay where it matters the most.

Attached: 1345364652.jpg (794x790, 143K)

I want another 2D Sonic game with as many movement options as Advance 2.

Attached: sonic-advance-2.jpg (488x488, 145K)

The Sonic Advance Trilogy wasn't bad at all. 3 wasn't even mediocre. Rather have that then the Boom games on the 3DS.