New Vegas' charisma problem

Because of how skill checks in NV work charisma is pretty much meaningless. I'm definitely not the first one to think of this, but would having skill point cap directly related to it's S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stat make them all worth having. The idea is that your speech, barter and other charisma related skills can only be maxed if your CHR is at 10. If it's at 6 they cap at 60, you get the idea. Apply this standard to every skill in the game.

Attached: download (17).jpg (210x240, 12K)

charisma was never good

Skill points should be fixed. INT is too powerful not to take it.

AGI and INT were always too powerful not to take them from the very first game.
SPECIAL was always broken ingame.

I always have 1 CH anyway because I like to pretend my character suffered severe frontal lobe damage.

How much INT is too much? I started with 8 and choose intense training and put it to 9

You can literally convince the final boss that going with thwir plan will fail and make them give up. If that's not true charismatic power, I don't know what is.

SPECIAL always sucked, they should just have skills

I play a mod where STR affects your carry weight. Suddenly, I give a fuck about it.

It's kind of like that in Fallout 4 you need 11 charisma to win every speech check 100% of the time without reloading.

Thinking back, isn't there one check that requires charisma? I'm thinking the vault guy at the start of honest hearts.

it is literally a meaningless stat
the only thing it really contributes to is companions, but the difference between 1 and 10 is barely noticeable

Starting with high charisma makes it possible to complete loads of quests by speech early on

>passing every speech/barter/CHA check screws you out of the perfect route in Dead Money

Attached: 1561308683625.jpg (800x1144, 531K)

The checks that kill Dean are really obvious though.

i love that they made dean such a fucking dick that if you outwit him he takes it to heart

nope
that guy has like 10 checks you can pass but none of them are charisma
Its like medicine (for his psycho addiction), science and speech for his pipboy, power armor training or gunz for his bullshit story, perception for something, and black widow

uh...what?

Shit, then I've been wasting half a dozen points on charisma for 9 years then.

See I get that he has a very fragile ego, but it did not occur to me by talking him into coercing diplomatically via a speech check was programmed to make him go off on you later. Perhaps if I trusted the game to make true of Dean's ego as a factor as a detail, but cmon this is fucking Fallout we're twlking about. This is the same game where NPCs will walk up to you, curse you our in dialouge, and then casually say "hello." When the dialoug ends. I didnt think they would bother.
I will agree it is good writing tho

does anyone else never level up lockpick or sneak? it just feels like such a fucking waste when combat seems more important.

or you can just tag speech and dump your first two levels into speech.
Doing this even with low intelligence and without taking good natured and/or skilled will put you where you would have been with 10 charisma after about 10 minutes of gameplay

Also early-mid game speech checks are piss easy.

Attached: brainlet.jpg (266x300, 13K)

Every second level gives you more point when you level 2 4 6 etc

Yeah but if you do it with high CHA you can put points into other skills

I always get lockpick to get Lucky

that's speech

Or you can put those points into INT and max out every skill, or put those points into something that actually matters.

Yeah I use both that hidden bonus damage is the tits

Charisma is the single strongest stat in Fallout 2.
INT and LCK are nice, too, but nothing can compare to CHR.

You can.... but do you want to?

Lockpick is literally useless in all fallout games as anything "essential" will never be behind a lock for obvious game design reasons.

Depending on my playthrough though I will level lockpick occasionally
>fallout nv: up to master for gobi campaign sniper and/or lucky
>fallout 3: to break into armories just to be a cunt
>fallout 1: never as you can just pretty much just spam attempts until you get it
>fallout 4: never as one companion (?) can unlock shit

Putting the special points into intelligence and using the skill points for speech will literally give you a higher speech at an earlier level then having maxed charisma

Its just poor game design tbqh

Ironically, the INT problem was fixed in FO4, where the idiot perk would let you play a low intelligence character without fucking yourself over

Cait isn't that reliable for lockpicking harder locks she goes through a ton of lockpicks

What's the ideal SPECIAL allocation for Guns, Speech, and maximizing skills and perks?

CHR is strong in FO2, but nowhere near as important as AGI. Besides, with the Restoration Project, you can raise your Charisma as high as you need once you get some weed.

*almost* fixed as a bunch of weapon mods and settlement shit of decent importance were locked behind an INT 6 skill

The only good thing in 4 was that your companions could do that shit for you. Cait could unlock anything and Nick could hack anything

there were plenty of good things in 4. Just an equal number of bad things as well unfortunately.

I actually liked that just hitting the [skill] dialogue options wasn't the right option for once.
And besides, Dean was a fucking asshole and deserved to die anyway.

Yes

>Just an equal number of bad things as well unfortunately.
I'd say the bad outnumbers the good by quite a margin.