Is it overrated?

Is it overrated?

Attached: FA09EE24-C3D1-4B50-B93C-9DFD030FD35D.jpg (424x610, 149K)

Other urls found in this thread:

chat.whatsapp.com/Lt2zKvvZkTH3O7tjrLrKhf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not at all. It's the best Paper Mario game by far, though everything after it is complete shit so it's not really a contest.

yes
64 is better in every way

Somewhat. The game has too much backtracking and some the chapters offer little or no replayability. The original is comparable in quality but both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I think the desert maze alone in the original makes it slightly inferior to Thousand Year Door.

Even if the Doopliss chapter backtracking was a bit much, there was never a puzzle or section that made me want to shut off the game.

definitely. I couldn't even finish it.

What caused you grief in the desert? I don't recall anything their being too bad.

>Chapter 3 is the best chapter in Paper Mario history
>Chapter 5 and 6 are decent
>Every other chapter is mediocre as fuck or is downright terrible
It has its moments here and there but I would definitely consider it overrated when a majority of the game feels like a total slog to play
It's easily my least favorite of the three Paper Mario games

No, it’s just that good.

Its better than Super Paper Mario.

No, it's a great game.
I wish we got more games like the first 3 Paper Mario games, the series was kino until Sticker Star.
Here's hoping Nintendo either makes a new TTYD style game or remakes it.

6 is only good on your first playthrough as well.

easily the worst chapter on replays

Why's it not on my Nintendo Switch ™ yet?

chapter 3 is where I quit. that gladiator shit was boring as heck.

not gonna like, I'd rather play sticker star than SPM. That game is gutter trash

Only two exist though.

Why did paper Mario devs want to change the direction and RPG mechanics so much after 2?

They have been trying to find a gimmick that would stick and sell the game instead of improving on already established work.

No but it’s contributing to the ever growing problem that Gamecube babies are the biggest bitches in the industry

Super Paper Mario wasn’t intentional.

They figured
>Hey that bowser minigame was pretty cool, since we are still on the same system, let’s make a cool spin off

Except it eventually to the Wii and in that position they pretty much went
>Well fuck, okay, let’s add story and characters the series is known for at the very least

After that the team itself was divided a lot since Fire Emblem and other IS get different priority
It eventually lead to the C team being lead by the biggest fucking dumbass in Miyamoto’s pocket known as Tanabe who doesn’t know what the fuck a Mario is

Thread seems promising so I'll give my in-depth comparison of the original and TTYD. I'll go category by category.
>Graphics
This is just personal taste. Both are nice.
>Music
Again, so similar between the two that it's personal taste.
>Battles
Easily TTYD. It's true TTYD adds in some less desirable mechanics but it introduces so much more variety and engagement in the fights that it easily wins out. Partners having health and swappable positions alone is amazing.
>Level Design
Easily the original. Most chapters in TTYD are linear (usually with lots of backtracking) or gimmicks. The gimmicks like Glitzpit and the train are fun the first time but offer little replayability. Original has much better level design and much less backtracking.
>Hub and World Design
The original has a better connected hub and a more coherent world. However, TTYD has a lot more interesting locations. Overall its a tie.
>Story
The original does a good job of setting up a threatening but still humorous Bowser while TTYD tries its hand at a fairly unoriginal but still fun adventure. Both are good.
>Intermissions
Original's are short and sweet while TTYD has several that drag on. Personally I prefer the original.
>Side Content
TTYD has more side quests and the Pit so it wins here.
>Partners
Both have some good ones and some not so good ones.

All in all, I prefer the original but TTYD is comparable. Probably why nobody can ever make up their minds in these threads.

Attached: tm_n64_papermario.png (438x370, 252K)

Bump.

As long as you say so anything is overrated

>not loving the Glitz Pit

Attached: 1561951422449.jpg (720x811, 51K)

A few chapters have bad replayability, and maybe two can be considered downright bad. Imo PM64 is better in every way except for difficulty and optional content, but TTYD is still excellent.
>Boggly Woods is obviously shit, and Flurry is the worst partner in the series
>train chapter is shit, and gets even worse on replay
>Twilight Town/Creepy Steeple has a backtracking and size problem, but the atmosphere of the area, Dupliss, and the whole identity thief and fighting your partners plot make up for it to me personally
>backtracking in Keelhaul Key and the Admiral Bobbery hunt but I don't think either of those are really that bad

This exactly. I'd say TTYD is marginally better than 64 though.

Hola,
onions venezolana y por suerte pude encontrar mucha ayuda para conseguir trabajo en este grupo de WhatsApp de la comunidad, es solo para Buenos Aires:
chat.whatsapp.com/Lt2zKvvZkTH3O7tjrLrKhf

Espero que les sirva!

>seeing so many people sit on SPM
Makes me sad, I really loved SPM. It's not on TTYD's level of course because the gameplay is holding it back, but I still love playing it and I'm always excited to replay it when I do.

Also Glitz Pit, while awesome, can be kind of tedious to replay. That being said Rawk Hawk is fucking awesome and should return.

64 is better and has general guy

miyamoto needs to die before we can get another proper paper mario game.

alphadream has not been good since bowser's inside story and even that had too many gimmicks. i want to go back to the simpler time of superstar saga.

Sticker Star had a decent concept. I'd love to see an RPG game that only uses NSMB era characters and enemies, as I think there's a lot of potential there, but Sticker Star shat all over Bowser and itself with that dogshit gameplay, story, and world map.
Paper Jam came closer to that, with really awesome Koopaling personalities and did a great job at expanding on King Bob-Omb's character. It was cool seeing shit like Nabbit and Chargin' Chucks. Too bad that game also had a shit story and the silly Paper Mario crossover setup.

TTYD has better battle system and story
But 64 has better overall gameplay
The thing that seals the deal for me is that there is not a single chapter I dread when replaying 64. The same can’t be said for TTYD

Attached: 7C1E2E7E-175C-454C-8EC1-A9E03892F6A1.jpg (1200x630, 71K)

yeah
a lot of the chapters are shit when replaying it

Yeah, Color Splash is legitimately better.

disagree with you on graphics and music. TTYD definitely wins in both regards

64 is a more consistent game. It's good throughout and doesn't have any of "those" chapters.

TTYD has better highs but lower lows. Most people can pretty decisively tell you their least favorite part of Thousand Year Door. Thousand Year Door also has great chapters like Glitzville. Also has a better combat system, badge system, way more optional content, and I really like the personalities and writing better. That's just my opinion though.

Are they overrated? They're simplistic "RPGs" with cute art styles and a Nintendo logo, of course they are.

>Thousand Year Door also has great chapters like Glitzville.

On the first playthrough. The problem with TTYD is that its areas are so small that on replays it becomes abundantly clear they're trying to squeeze all they can out. There's nothing particularly impressive in Glitzville in terms of gameplay/level design.

I understand the distaste for the Glitz Pit in general, but I've always loved it for some fucking reason.

I remember renting TTYD way back when and being stuck just before Chapter 3, unable to find Don Pianta's eloping daughter. I ran out of time with the game trying to find 'em, and then wasn't able to progress further until I got a copy for christmas. So, it's probably that "...finally!" moment that makes me like the chapter so much.

I also like challenging myself to clear every fight in one turn.

Attached: almongs.jpg (424x408, 21K)

>There's nothing particularly impressive in Glitzville in terms of gameplay/level design
I think that can be said for any paper mario chapter in any game.

you need to run away from battles

>He runs from a fight

Fucking jabroni.

makes the backtracking less annoying

Vivian is cute

It became the thousand year nitpicks because fans of the original are angry that people only talk amount it for the most part when reminiscing about when the series was good.
Issues with the game are greatly exaggerated if not outright fabricated and the people making them come across as severely impatient.

A complaint will usually go as follows,

>Remember the backtracking during chapter 4? It was horrible! There was so much backtracking!

In reality, the path between town and the creepy steeple takes... What, a minute to get through? Less if you don't get into any battles in your JRPG?
Backtracking isn't an inherent problem, particularly when the world you're backtracking through is actually interesting and cool to look at and listen to.
Chapter 4 has you go down that road between the creepy steeple and town maybe 3 times total. Big deal.
Would the game be slightly better if there were a shortcut? Yes, obviously.
However, this is still a petty nitpick, not some glaring mark against the game.

>but muh general white filler quest
Oh wow the game makes you revisit old locations ONCE and talk to characters for a few minutes looking for an NPC and tops it off with an awesome scene of you being blasted out of a canon to the moon. Fucking so what?

>but muh chapter 2 sucked
No, it didn't Chapter 2 was amazing visually and the story was good. Flurry is the worst partner but the frustrations of guiding the punies is greatly exaggerated. Anyone that has a shred of patience can manage it.

>but muh chapter 3 sucked
Chapter 3 was full of a ton of personality and memorable fights. Bowser storming the stage for a battle was amazing. Also, the battles in this game are fun. A gauntlet of them works.

tl;dr stop exaggerating and nitpicking the sequel because you're asshurt over people liking it over the original.

Attached: 1533601682614.png (346x342, 184K)

>I think that can be said for any paper mario chapter in any game..

Sticker Star and Color Splash did have some good ones though. Like the Light Puzzles in the Yoshi Sphinx in Sticker Star. Or Lighthouse Island in Color Splash.

Both are overrated

I love it too
Best story, characters and music
If it had the same gameplay as the other ones it would be my favorite by a long shot

>In reality, the path between town and the creepy steeple takes... What, a minute to get through? Less if you don't get into any battles in your JRPG?
>Backtracking isn't an inherent problem, particularly when the world you're backtracking through is actually interesting and cool to look at and listen to.
>Chapter 4 has you go down that road between the creepy steeple and town maybe 3 times total. Big deal.

The problem is that nothing happens but backtracking. Doopliss steals Mario's identity and then you just keep backtracking to find the letter and then you just fight him again. It feels like the chapter is missing it's middle and they don't even really do anything with the case Mario's identity is stolen other than an excuse to recruit Vivian

May be because I got burned out but I finished all of 64 but got bored a few hours in thousand year door.