Is this Nintendo's answer to Vita? Finally a no-bullshit no-gimmick handheld in decades from Nintendo...

Is this Nintendo's answer to Vita? Finally a no-bullshit no-gimmick handheld in decades from Nintendo. Got real tired of Iwata's gimmicky shit.

Attached: 3558509-switch-lite-01.jpg (1280x720, 246K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fThN20i4OcE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The DS is superior to the "no-gimmick" concept though. Removing the DS gimmicks makes the handheld worse.

iwata dying is the best thing that ever happened to nintendo

Nintendo doesn’t need an answer to the Vita.

I don't think Nintendo needs an "answer to Vita."

Attached: 1433337718006.gif (500x484, 1021K)

Why would Nintendo answer the Vita? They already beat the Vita with the 3DS.

Attached: Edward Elric Smug Look.jpg (259x194, 8K)

Was PSP a gimmick console? Every single model of it had TV output, Go even had a dock and ability to wirelessly connect to DS3.

Attached: 41gOB+--4vL.jpg (500x500, 29K)

this was the switch 7 years before nintendo decided to copy it.

>stylus was a good idea

That's fucking cool. Never knew it existed.

Now we just wait on Miyamoto's retirement.

There's also a mystery port on Vita that was never used. Considering PSTV's existence, Vita could've been envisioned a switching console as well. Sony just can't into marketing.

>Case study in the uneducated

The gimmick is the three horrible colors you have to choose from.

When are you going to retire, Miyamoto-san? I'm tired of you fucking up my favorite series.

Attached: 1562128757328.png (255x315, 176K)

spooky

It's about damn time, I'm going to buy one when Metroid Dread (Metroid 5) gets announced.

wtf i love nintendo now

snoyfags btfo

Why are people pretending the vita wasn't gimmicky? When I played a demo of it at a store YEARS ago when the 3DS was still new, the game I was playing relied heavily on the touch screen.

Of which there were two, one on the front and one on the back.

And the one on the back was awkward as heck to use, and hardly worked.

I thought Yea ForumstendoGAF said it was Sony that copies Nintendo? wtf is this??!?!?

Nintendo "copies" it by releasing console addons to play gameboy games on TV... Remember Gamecube for example? Addon to play GBA Advance games on TV.

Difference being that Sony's gimmicks are most always optional. Whereas Nintendo bases entire consoles and handhelds around gimmicks.

See; waggle, dual screens, 3D

And before you say 3D was optional, sure it was. But it also greatly limited the handheld due to how expensive the tech. I think it had an even lower resolution than PSP due to its 3D gimmick. Whereas Vita was rocking a 540p OLED screen.

I was not aware Vita needed an answer

True in some sense. I feel like Nintendo is less obsessed with being that quirky alternative now but instead just focuses on making good games.

The downside being that Iwata was obviously Nintendo's key to securing MH exclusivity. With him gone, they lost that connection to Capcom.

Attached: mh bribed.jpg (960x637, 138K)

>Vita
Who?

The first ever handheld that didn't feel extremely gimped in some way or another.

>Whereas Nintendo bases entire consoles and handhelds around gimmicks
So we aren't talking about the Switch or Switch Lite, gotcha

You mean the Switch?

Attached: 1562688061355.png (800x500, 33K)

The Switch (Lite) came after Vita so no.

Nintendo experiments one gen, then improves on it the next gen. Trident controller was stupid and went away, but analog stick was for keeps. Waggle was largely dropped from motion controls, but the precision part of them not only remains with them but also got nicked by Sony for their console (where it is horribly underused). Dual screen is ded as well, but touchscreen as a control method in games proved extremely useful and is now ubiqtous. Nintendo consoles are baisically public beta.

Read OP. You finally caught on. Congratulations.

That would be Sega Nomad.

But Switch is the strongest handheld of all time. Vita was 540p trash

You talking about gyro? Sony used gyro way before Nintendo did.

Nintendo didn't invent touch screens. And touch screens has been cancerous for games since day 1. And they still are. Almost all Nintendo's gimmicks were shelved in some way or another. Remember how they based an entire handheld around the 3D gimmick? That didn't go so well.

>is this Nintendo’s answer for a dead console?

Is reading comprehension too hard for you? Vita came out five years before Switch so of course Switch is stronger. But let's not pretend most games on Switch aren't 540p aswell.

That one doesn't count because we are supposed to buy into OPs narritive that Vita was in any way a noteworthy product

Nintendo used motion controls before you were born

>But let's not pretend most games on Switch aren't 540p aswell.
They aren't you fucking idiot.

>Remember how they based an entire handheld around the 3D gimmick?
Yeah wasn't that the console that absolutely destroyed the Vita?

>implying Vita is alive and successfull so it needed an answer
Nope. This is Nintendo's successor of 3DS. Why? Because Switch FAT is considered a stationary console due to it's docked mode even tho there's some portability. However Switch Lite is focused purely on portability, hence why it's an evolution of hanheld consoles.
It's funny how Nintendo has managed to make a successor to their previous successfull hanheld without making something new.

>miyamoto
>fucking up anything
NOPE. Sorry, retard, wrong again.

The DS systems were all terrible. They had some good games but the form factor ruined it. Playing more than 5 minutes gave you hand cramped.

Sony first used gyro in the PSMove, which is a (superior) answer to Wiimote, which Nintendo quickly followed by adding it to Wiimote. Same as the Dualshock that is the superior answer to the trident which Nintendo followed by a similar Gamecube layout. Nintendo invents, Sony refines, it's been like that since the beginning.

Two screens is a gimmick

What happened with Monster Hunter & Sony did they suddenly decide to switch consoles after the 3ds?

I vaguely remember Freedom Unite being great but after that Nintendo seemed to have a death grip on the series & now it's only on playstation?

Will the light version get any future MH games?

Attached: Celtic.jpg (800x781, 131K)

>paper mario

There's no need for it to be focused purely on portability, it could be just as dockable as fat one.

>mystery port
it was a proprietary USB. It wasn't hdmi out, we've known it wasn't hdmi since like 2014, 2015 when we gained access to kernel. You can literally see the calls to it have been disabled since the first launch firmware, and now in 2019 with dev kits in hand we can see that it was a proprietary USB for mass data transfer. 100% confirmed.

The Switch Lite is the best Nintendo handheld since the original GBA.

No gimmicks, no shitty clamshell design and dual screens. Just good quality games.

>Sony used gyro way before Nintendo did.
I want snoycuck newfags to stop posting.

does mhw have a jp pc version? I know there's no mhw for xbone in japan, but I always wondered about the pc.

As for what happened, chances are the insanely high piracy rates for PSP made capcom reconsider putting their shit on the next sony handheld. Same thing happened with most other third party devs, honestly. After the piracy scare was over, the memory card thing was just terrible press and that made less people want to support the system.

The second screen was mostly just used to delegate an extra screen of information to the player, taking it away negatively affects the UI of a lot of franchises

>clam-shell

that would have been cool but we still don't know how the lite's build quality will be compared to the normal switch

Attached: Seagreen.jpg (1920x1080, 228K)

Who knows? Maybe there'll be some third party accessories which will make it dockable, but "out of box" experience is purely portable according to Nintendo.

The Wii was just a rip off of the superior eye toy.

>touchscreen
yeah nah.

There's no port on it in any footage they've shown, so it won't be dockable, unless the shit they've been showing us is just renders or mockups, which brings up a whole bunch of other issues about their fucking lying.

Both handhelds suffered massive install base losses from last gen. I think in total numbers, Nintendo lost more going to 3DS than Sony did going to Vita.

>Remember how they based an entire handheld around the 3D gimmick? That didn't go so well.
>That didn't go si well

The 3DS was the best selling console on the generation and was only surpassed by the PS4 when Nintendo decided to kill it to focus on the Switch, it what universe is that "not going well"?

It sold like shit. Then they panic price dropped it to like $180 and even then sold 70m less than NDS. The 3D gimmick wasn't selling systems at all.

>There's no port on it in any footage they've shown
It has USB-C just like fat Switch. Not only that, but it also has the exact same dock guide indentations on back and bottom as fat.

Attached: dims_2_large.jpg (2880x1296, 148K)

>handheld has TV-out capabilities
>gimmicky shit
>take the exact same handheld but remove the TV-out functions
>"Finally a no-bullshit no-gimmick handheld in decades from Nintendo"

It's literally the same thing but more limited, user. There's nothing this does that the original won't outside of playing BOTW for 20 minutes longer with an even worse framerate since it doesn't have as much power in it as the normal Switch does.

So why did Nintendo remove the dock feature? Is there any reason why this shouldn't be able to dock just fine?

It has slightly more battery, isn't as retard big and also has a real d-pad. That puts it above the OG Switch in terms of portability.

>take a failing product with a decent design
>rework it into something that can break sales records because of how much people want it

Yeah, sounds like Nintendo vs Sony to me.

Attached: 1477421224472.jpg (630x817, 131K)

It doesn't fit in the stupid plastic shell.

it would overheat

This is the only good eva girl

That's only because Nintendo had more to lose. When you go from hundreds of millions of units sold to a new device, you've nowhere to go but down realistically. Nintendo is the biggest in the handheld market, that's just how it is.

Ok fair enough. I have already a PS4 under my TV and a decent TV so the TV Out feature doesn't interest me that much. Only reason I would want it if I ever had friends over for some casual games.

Can you not read? He didn't say it was a gimmick, the implication is that gimmick doesn't always equate to being bad.
People thought Mario 64 having full analogue controls was a gimmick.

because this thing does not have the hardware pieces that make docking and outputting to your tv possible
they're saving money, with the Lite targeting one specific audience: People who only play in handheld

Attached: com.jpg (474x266, 15K)

Still you phrased it as "3DS absolutely destroyed Vita".

What happened wasn't 3DS destroying Vita but both handhelds suffering massive install base losses primarily due to the explosive growth of smartphone sales. It just hit Vita way harder because Sony's demographic was always older than Nintendo's. The same audience that would be the first to adopt smartphones.

Also because Vita had no games to appeal to masses

he didn't say it wasn't a gimmick, even.

>People thought Mario 64 having full analogue controls was a gimmick.
It was. It would have been fine with dpad but Nintendo had to do analog to make more money.

So gimmicks can push the medium forward technically, improve the industry financially, all the while bettering the products.

Here's my one question: can I use it as a controller for Smash like I could with my 3DS?

Except it did none of those things. Analog Control has always sucked for everything.

if it is so strong why do all these ports and rehashes look so bad?

For aiming sure, but for movement? In 3D? What you'd prefer 8 directions? Or are you going to say 3D's a gimmick and that shouldn't have happened?

3D was 100% a gimmick. Now instead of good games we just get "cinematic experiences"

gaming died in the 90s

Yeah, I'm sure they had the biggest major-system handheld flop in mind when they released the kiddier version of their smash hit portable console.

Attached: 658FDCEA-30A6-4D79-B58D-AF0443C5AF61.jpg (1200x598, 104K)

> 3d is a gimmick
> not as in 3ds' stereoscopic 3D, but literal 3d

Attached: 1543678101081.png (625x626, 53K)

Yeah, had me going for a while there, nice one user.

Attached: 1472109144285.gif (320x240, 597K)

you're right. 2d was a gimmick too really, at least in the nes/snes era.

atari had the best games

Switch in docked mode uses more power and needs more heat dispersal.

The chipset has the function.

all the retards buying this will regret getting it over the big one.

lmao

Attached: 1553869111682.jpg (1200x1200, 297K)

Nintendo had Gamecube addons to play GBA games on your TV before that, so it was still Nintendo's idea first

Mariko uses less power and produces less heat at the same clocks thanks to its die-shrink alone.

Attached: 1543622503860.png (1280x2159, 3.25M)

Percentage wise, Nintendo lost like 40% and Sony lost like 70%, but the DS hit PS2 numbers

>a home console add-on to play portable games is the same as a portable system that is connectable to a home TV and can be used to play games from
Whoa, nintendofags should remain in their Smash containment threads LMAO

Attached: NETS.jpg (1600x1064, 439K)

>no clam shell
>no dual screens
that's a bad thing though

they clearly want to incentivize people to buy the big one and not make it redundant.
create an illusion that the things are so different.
vita was the same. had a video out port on the bottom but sony rather sold you vita TVs so that people would double dip.

fpbp
The dual screens added a lot to the DS and 3DS, the Switch is simply not a good replacement.

Gameboys could play on SNES circa 1994

Because they're ports of console games, and the post you replied to established Switch is a handheld game. If so, Switch's ports and rehashes look pretty great for handheld games.

>thing that allows you to play handheld games on the big screen
woah

If only it shared the GBA's ergonomic shape as well.

>Pokemon GO

And it still didn't have any games

Nintendo saved the 3DS from it's shit early period by cutting the price and releasing popular games for all regions like ACNL.
Sony just let the Vita die and spent no effort making it more interesting for consumers. A system can't survive on B-list Japanese 3rd party games alone.

Can we all agree that the switch lite is for people who dont have friends?

There was also the older Wide Boy for Famicom which was not officially released but was often used by gaming magazines to take better screenshots of GB games.

yum, regurgitated Wii U ports, my favorite

It's for people who already have a PS4 and PC. Why would I need another console on top of that? I'd rather have a pure handheld device.

Pretty sure it's Nintendos answer to the pokemon backlash because for sure random parents that don't know any better are picking this and Sword/Shield up for their kid. Any hopes of it even remotely performing a tiny but under expectations are gone. Hope you enjoy Masudas reign for another ten generations.

The switch lite is for people who are poor and don't care about the extra features of the normal switch.

Vita losing MH in Japan and having no proper GTA exclusive in the west killed it. Sony is to blame for losing MH to Nintendo bribes. Sony is probably not as much to be blamed for not having a dedicated GTA game. Rockstar isn't what it was in 2005. I'm not sure if Sony's own exclusives could save it since they rely on high production values to sell.

Capcom seems dead set on treating the Switch like absolute shit. Nothing but old ports, overpriced, no added bonuses whatsoever.

The DMC situation is just proof alone Capcom just fucking hates it and there's clearly some fucking bad blood going on

It's fucking hilarious to witness given the hubris Nintenfags had just a few years back with MH4U.

I can still hear the screeches as MH World was announced.

Attached: 1534920322596m.jpg (664x1024, 101K)

You'd think with those 10 million sales Capcom would put in more effort into their Switch support but no they're too lazy for that

Why would they waste resources on a system that didn't contribute to their monster hit game? It is way more prudent to invest more in high-end current-gen multiplat games than Switch exclusives.

What does that have to do with Capcom's trash Switch support

t. 67 year old boomer. go jog and put yourself into cardiac arrest

Capcom is bitter wasting time on Nintendo handhelds.

>Don't put in effort to port your big smash hit game on Switch
>Instead be as lazy as can be, overprice old ports and rip games out of collections and overprice them
If you say "Switch is too weak to run MHW" may I remind you Capcom helped develop the Switch's hardware, so that would be partly their fault

Switch is 7 times as strong as the 3DS and they still gave 3DS new games

All Switch gets is lazy old ports

>Instead be as lazy as can be, overprice old ports and rip games out of collections and overprice them
Sounds like Capcom is taking a page outta Nintendo's book and treating Switchfags like walking wallets. Capcom is doing nothing wrong. Those overpriced ports are for funding the important current-gen multiplat games.

Pased

Except people aren't buying them anymore. RE0 and RE1 sold terribly, didn't chart on the eShop at all. Neither did the DMC1 port

That's what happens when you get lazy

>Supporting price gouging
>Supporting getting fucked in the ass
I smell a shill

But he was the one that saved Nintendo with the Wii. Another console like the N64 or the GameCube and Nintendo would be making Mario for the PS4.

Both of the people that purchased the Vita were disappointed without outside help.

>Supporting price gouging
I don't support Nintendo though.

They used to do that with handheld level games like Battle Network games or shit like Phoenix Wright

Would you rather want new games or old ports user?

based

You support Capcom though, and they price gouge more than Nintendo
>60 dollars for 2 Gamecube games
>200 dollar arcade stick
>40 dollar ROM dump

how small is this fucking thing and are they going to have any sort of grooves or bumps underneath so its not fucking awkward holding a piece of paper with nubs on it?

i had a stupid fucking dream about getting a switch and they put these things underneath where the joycons are and gave them hills on the edge so you could actually grip the fucking thing. also make it a bit thicker

Attached: myideastupiddream.png (362x202, 2K)

I don't support Capcom's Switch games either.

Capcom's Switch games are still Capcom's games. If you support them you support those too

Nice mental cope

Two screen on the DS was what made it better than the GBA.
The Wii U gamepad is a gimmick, but at the same time, Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles X were better with the pad being the UI map screen.

Not an argument

>capcom

they have games on the switch?

did they port over street fighter IV

Attached: Arf Arf.jpg (173x163, 19K)

The only fighting game they have on Switch is USFII and a few variations of SFII and III

monster hunter retard

What about Tekken?

Attached: Black & White.jpg (585x454, 65K)

>answer to Vita
Weebs are fucking delusional

>Nintendo saved the 3DS from it's shit early period by releasing a pokemon game
FTFY.

user please the vita's been dead for years m8

I said ACNL because it was an important earlier hit.

Attached: 1454403756258.gif (568x341, 183K)

Why would you want a game to be exclusive?

i just hacked my vita. i need one of those SD adapter things now. What is the best one?

its not the exclusivity that matters, its the fact Capcom's support for Nintendo has turned to complete shit after Iwata died

Attached: 1562454052219.jpg (790x1200, 312K)

>no-bullshit
>no-gimmick
COPE

Attached: 1560776188305.png (600x600, 347K)

Dude they couldn't even copy+paste the new improve netcode used in the PS4 version of the SF30th anniversary to the Switch. Capcom is not a big fan of Nintendo for some reason.

Its nintendos answer to the 2ds

Play Dawn of Sorrow and say that again...
The DS was fucking shit show. And future emulation is cancer as a result, too. (not just PC, but Wii U)

I wouldn't get this fucking thing. Not with how faulty the joycon joysticks are. It's way easier to fix a joycon that's not attached.

Outside of phoenix Wright Trilogy none of Capcom’s lazy ports have charted
Not even RE4
DMC practically flopped
RE 0 DOA
RE 4 DOA
Watch RE 5 and 6 do the same thing

>I feel like Nintendo is less obsessed with being that quirky alternative now but instead just focuses on making good games.
Too bad they shat on all the hardcore gamers in their audience with the Wii and Wii U, or this might have actually mattered.

What you're talking about are needing additional consoles large scale peripherals just to get the desired result.

Sony PSP worked on TV out of the box with a simple AV out cable. I'm no Sony fan (not really a fan of any of the big three) but you gotta admit, Sony had em' beat. Now, if Sony wasn't completely retarded and didn't overprice the Vita with ridiculous proprietary memory cards (which did them a world of good considering it got hacked easily anyways... lol) and if Sony hadn't just up and abandoned the Vita it might have held weight... but no. They had to fuck everything up.

Can the switch emulate PS1 yet?

Attached: Jill Valentine A.png (787x591, 639K)

I suspect money hatting
Considering RE revelations and Dragon’s dogma ran like absolute dreams yet everything else fell off hard

>implying 2d games completely stopped existing after 1995

I guess, either that or the Switch team is fucking incompetent since they fixed the netcode for the PS4/Steam version as well.

5&6 have been confirmed digital only too.

Capcom just does not care. Its quick cash for them and nothing else

They flat out admitted the DMC1 port was just ripped from the collection instead of just porting the collection

True, and I mean it says a lot that their newer consoles dropped all of those shitty gimmicks. Switch doesn't do dual screen, and while it has a touch screen practically nothing uses it because it's retarded. Hell, the mere fact it's a hybrid console makes it unreliable to add touch controls because it won't work on TV.

And no, it being a hybrid doesn't make it a gimmick. Because that's basic convenience and value. Nobody should be complaining that you get the ability to play the same games on the go and on a TV for one, smaller price. If anyone here has ever owned a handheld AND a separate TV console and complains that the Switch being a hybrid is a gimmick then they hypocrites, retarded, and apparently don't mind wasting more money for the same experience.

what's the difference between the two street fighter games?

No, now they just want to be Apple with overpriced peripherals. (even their version of the exact same thing on other consoles costs at least 15% more)

I don't think so. Iwata was part of the reason the Switch was made. It was in development under his wing before his death. The only difference is that we do know that after his death the Switch was overpriced for the hardware and charge out the ass for basic features and peripherals that arguably should've come with the damn thing (ie. a chargeable joycon grip).

Yes, if you hack it.

Game gear and nomad could connect to the tv as well

We got dpad mario 64 on DS and it sucked dick to control

Not sure if baiting but you're so retarded I'm inclined to believe this is bait

Just because some games used it in retarded ways, it doesn't mean that it was a bad gimmick.

Not powerful enough

Technically you could control Mario in more than 8 directions by using touch controls but that was even more shit.

>sticks arent symmetrical
almost perfect

bullshit

Of course it's going to sell less than the DS. The DS/Wii era for Nintendo were complete outliers.

For what it's worth, Iwata was the foremost one that enabled Miyamoto to be such a cock for the past decade, and it's clear that he hasn't had near as protective of a safety blanket anymore under Kimishima or Furukawa. With how autistic and vengeful Miyamoto has been with content made for his franchises without his direct input, you can bet your ass that Mario Odyssey would either have been far tamer and less creative or just wouldn't have happened.

Also, Miyamoto can't retire quite yet. He needs to finish Pikmin 4 first. THEN he can be out on his ass.

5th gen emulation is fucky all around.

>tfw Nintendos stocked dropped when people found out they didnt actually make it

Attached: Laugh2.gif (250x250, 69K)

3DS ---> 2DS
>
Switch ---> Switch Lite
>BUT IT DOESN'T SWITCH!

Attached: 1562643652683.jpg (279x242, 25K)

you can switch it off

They are all 720p faggot.

Cope harder snoy fag

Why are oldfags all afraid of touchscreen?

99% of the games can be played without ever touching the screen

How are your Vita sales doing snoy-fag?

Oh wait....

Touchscreens are difficult to use with arthritis

>he doesn't make their own form so they can play the games they want

youtube.com/watch?v=fThN20i4OcE

Using a controller, keyboard, mouse, or anything really is difficult to use with arthritis.

The Go was an amazing console that was released at the wrong time

Attached: PSP Collection for PS1.png (1380x1240, 2.44M)

This. DS was the last good handheld console.

It's based as fuck that's what it is.

>Finally fits in pocket

That's all I asked for Nintendo. A smaller switch and you delivered. Based.

THIS,the normal switch is way too bulky to take with you anywhere reliably but this lite version seems to be "pocket" sized enough to fit into a small backpack so that's a definite improvement for many that wanted a smaller model

Without Iwata we got a soulless, söyful piece of shit that only excels in marketing/sales and doesn't deliver in anything else. I think that under his watch this piece of shit would've been managed better, but fuck death all the way through. I think he would be happy with the sales it's getting anyways.

>It's literally the same thing but more limited, user. There's nothing this does that the original won't outside of playing BOTW for 20 minutes longer with an even worse framerate since it doesn't have as much power in it as the normal Switch does.
And with a smaller screen you'll have to use a fucking magnifier to even see what the fuck is going on in text-heavy games or games that have cramped UI in them. I know the Zoom(er) feature exists so my advice to Litefags is... have fun double tapping HOME very often.

At least Nintendo's rendition doesn't make the screen a dust-collecting turd while playing on the TV. I'd have hated it if it was just a cradle like the PSP Go's.