Opinion?

Opinion?

Attached: 336345071540458825.jpg (280x378, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GadL-6wpp3U
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

fantastic game. only for high iq people with patience who love to investigate, think and combine.
art style is godly.

>puts on fedora
>Right, this game came out a few years ago and I always thought it was like putting lobsters on your bollocks. It's a terrible idea but could pay off well - and that's what "Obra Dinn" is. Dildo dildo dildo dildo dark souls etc etc

So fuckin good, sat down to play it and within 15 mins I knew I wasn't gonna put the game down until i had finished it. Most fun puzzle game I've played in a long time

Attached: 116.jpg (1117x1836, 903K)

good game that gives the illusion of deductive reasoning

induction deduction you know the drill
SHIT

The start was literally exemplary and won't be topped in my mind for many years.
However, once you get past the initial "holy shit, what the fuck" especially when you see the crabs for the first time, the game becomes a lot more methodical and even then, deducing who is who is a gigantic pain in the ass. Overall, I give it a 7/10.

>games designed to only be played once

Attached: 1211598043.jpg (616x699, 36K)

Good start but bad ending, final chapters were boring and so was the supernatural, needed more normal shinenigans

Maba...

I appreciate the artstyle but holy fuck is it a pain to look at, especially when you're pixel hunting for little details like rings on fingers.

great game
except for the fact that all 4 chinks look the same, have the same profession, and you can't tell them apart at all, so you have to randomly guess who is who. fuck that

Something like this

i like it but i suck at it

didn't yahtzee like obra dinn tho

12 hours for me. And you?

I'd say the formosans are among the easier guesses user beyond gimmies. It's the sneaky mates and stewards who you have to really watch like fucking snakes to sort of whom from whom.

the ladies differentiate themselves in specific dialogue, one of the guards is explicitly named while trying out a organic hemp necktie, which essentially means you know who the other one is. The big boss man has a whole fucking scene. But I was fucking dumb on other characters so each to their own.

>Jimmy Winterbaben (secretly Fredonian with native american ancestry, indicated by scene two in which in an offset room he's holding a hand over his mouth and going "awah wah wah" while raindancing.
>Second viceroy of the mate's shepard, his grace the barber's third mate's mate.
>Killed by "Well I mean you could fucking argue various things, would you call that crushed or slashed? Is it the beast or a creature? I mean maybe he died of suicide attacking that? Maybe food poisoning got him I don't fucking know. Can you just fucking confirm my three PLEASE. PLEASE LET THIS AGONY END"

Lmao.

I see it the other way.
>Okay, so since it didn't confirm these guys which are fully filled out, that means some of them are wrong...
>Go back and review and try to make head or hare of it

It's frontloaded. Kraken scene is incredible and nothing ever quite matches that (attempted escape/kidnapping comes second with crab people as third) which leads to a few pacing issues. The ultimate resolution is kind of underwhelming considering how much work you have to do to get the bonus ending.

Gameplay is really nice and the deductions are great. My biggest complaint is that the game teases a lot of really cool deaths that never happen (freezing, cannibalism, etc...). I've had a bunch of people defend this decision and call me a brainlet but the bottom line is that the game sets up expectations that it never delivers on; which is unsatisfying to the player and bad game design.

Still a fantastic unique game though. Soundtrack is popping too.

Great game, and it is a must-play as the only one proper detective game.
Apparently many people struggled with New Guinea guy. Is "tattos = unga-bunga" so alien concept for zoomers? He is fucking obvious.

How do I erase my memories about this game and play it again?

Attached: photo_2019-03-16_22-50-54.jpg (888x1280, 251K)

Wouldn't this game be so much better if he'd made people's names random so you can play it again and again? I mean, to make that work you'd have to basically remove all complexity and nuance, but then it's replayable! Only thing that could make it better at that point is multiplayer elements, maybe a Battle Royale mode?

Attached: 1541985038455.png (600x450, 227K)

>Battle Royale detective game
While it is clear you're just thonking, this isn't that bad of an idea on its own if executed well.

Wouldn't it be basically "The Ship" game?

A cross between the Ship and Hunt: Showdown, probably.

He's talking about the 4 Chinese topmen.

wish it had a better sub-story

The framing narrative is fine, but the actual story of the ship crew is kind of lacking.

You identify them by theirs m8

You can see their shoes in the hammock flashback where the dude is sick.

He means the Chinese topmen, not the Formosans, and they are a bitch to figure out. I actually had the correct idea but dismissed it, until looking for hints later and seeing my idea.

Ah shit. I retract my comments in that case. They are unmitigated cunts.

Another thing too...

There is waaaay too much information in the hammock flashback. You literally identify 40% of the crew with just information in there.

why dont we make our own characters

It was ok.
It started off great, but I wish it wasn't so 'out there' with the plot.
The murdering each other was cool, but I felt like it tried to do too much with the mermaids, the crab riders AND the kraken. They should have picked a theme and stuck with imo.
Ghost pirates would have been cool.

Boring and pretentious indie trash.

>except for the fact that all 4 chinks look the same
they have different socks and shoes
check the scene where everybody sleeps in hammocks

Put more effort in your bait. Explain how it is pretentious.

Would be the greatest quest game of our day if it wasn't for its retarded pretentious visual choices: the ugly filter instead of simple models and the annoying unnecessary following of the lights to the bodies, even when I already know where each body is.

Attached: DhTT7xXUwAAofId.jpg (645x729, 34K)

see

youtube.com/watch?v=GadL-6wpp3U

>yfw

Attached: 1508362210575.jpg (456x434, 100K)

Teeoretically imperfect

This soundtrack was way too jolly for the brutal death scenes. Still pretty good though.

You have to know you're in the minority with this opinion, right? This game's visual style is one of its biggest draws.

>fades to black before I'm done looking around
fuck oooooofffffff

Attached: nichols.png (310x399, 252K)

>done looking at scene
>waiting for the fade out so I can leave

COME THE FUCK ON

Excellent game that's only good for a single playthrough.
The system of "every 3 'correct' identifications tells you so" detracts from true investigation, as it makes guessing much more viable, especially when closer to finishing the book.

NIGGA DEY ALL CHINESE

Attached: topman.png (400x536, 6K)

Me being a minority doesn't change the fact that the artistic choice is made on a bet to make the game look more deep and mindful than it is. And public absolutely loves pretentious things, it allows them feel smarter while still consuming something very basic like a puzzle game. It's the same case as with Bioshock: Infinite.

Has any critic figured out that hint? I know Jospeh Anderson and Yathzee haven't.

This

Shit might as well have been an interactive movie. Play through it once and it’s worthless. Books and movies have more potential for another experience

Pretty much just watched my friend stream this for me and we both pretty much just played detective. It was pretty fun. We had difficulty with the henry guy because my friend put he got sworded instead of knife though lol

Best game of 2018

Reveals all the plot twists too early. Then it's just paperwork.

>huh, did this guy get speared through the wall? I wonder who's on the other si-

Attached: 1469499980501.gif (500x281, 493K)

>doing this while trying to get the Captain Did It Achievement
No idea why he didn't just let us skip to the fade.

Chinks are easy as fuck, there's two guardsmen, one butler and one girl, it's fucking nothing to pick them apart. The worst part is all the damn topmen, seamen, and other non-descriptive crewmen that has a billion of each and all most of them just fall off the ship during storms or crab monsters attacks and disappear.

>Reading comprehension

8 hours

Has anyone done a breakdown of all the scenes in order? Was it even possible for this guy to be in every scene he was in? Dude was fucking busy.

Attached: this guy.png (310x415, 80K)

>Me being a minority doesn't change the fact that the artistic choice is made on a bet to make the game look more deep and mindful than it is.
Bit of a stretch, really. Who associates Mac games with being 'deep and meaningful'?

*murders the entire crew*

17, I am a brainlet.
True, but the information there is very subtle.

>Was it even possible for this guy to be in every scene he was in?
Don't most of the scenes take place days apart? I don't see why it wouldn't be.

It's not about looking like a mac game, it's about looking like a game from a very old period. When you deliberately make something look like an outdated technology without having a logical basis for it, like historical depiction (and Obra Dinn does not represent any kind of old type of game), you do it solely for the reason to stand out and look special, and people associate such things with artistry.

Possibly the worst looking game in existence. Couldn't play it for more than 2 hours because the retarded visual style made me physically ill.

>game set in 1800s
>game looks like a 1800s pc game

makes perfect sense

Fucking atrociously stretched gameplay.
>following lights that float aroudn shit for fucking ages and only when you're looking at them
>waiting for fading after you've solved a case
>walking to doors around blockages every time you want to leave a scene
>waiting for the audio track to play so that the scene is considered initiated
>even starting each scene the animation of the watch is pointlessly long
Pope has some good ideas but he's in desperate need of someone who would tell him to stop being a faggot and provide the player a decent amount of responsiveness. It was the same with Papers Please: he wasted so much screen space on pointless shit, your desk was ridiculously tiny for all the documents and you constantly had to put them on top of each other and drag shit with the mouse instead of giving you keybinds that would provide with an action you'd do momentarily if you were actually sitting behind the table.

If it is then only because the competition was not strong.
As adventures go I prefered TSIOQUE or if remasters count The Raven

Wait! Don't shoot! I have treasure! I yield!

Based chink

>your desk was ridiculously tiny for all the documents and you constantly had to put them on top of each other and drag shit with the mouse
I'm pretty sure that's an intentional part of the challenge. You don't get a big desk in commieland.

Ghost of a Tale was GOTY 2018.

I didn't find that out, too. Is going fukk Youtube eceleb writing lame critiques my destiny?

There was such a thing as the standard desk size in Soviet Union. It was not the size of a tea tray.

>full
Quickfix. God damn it. That's what you get for not proofreading your posts

The music and voice acting is what makes it atmospheric as fuck. Fuck the chinks though

it was his GOTY

>you do it solely for the reason to stand out and look special, and people associate such things with artistry.
Right so where does the pretentiousness come in? Just because something is meant to look artistic doesn't mean it's pretentious lol

really want to play it on the Switch

Because it isn't artistic. There's no depth or meaning to it. It just looks like something artistic.

I think it looks amazing. If you think there's no artistry in the visuals of Obra Dinn you're legitimately retarded. What DOES count as artistry?

garbage, it's not even a videogame, it's a magazine hide and seek sold to retards who get easily wowed by special effects

Obra Dinn was fantastic and I would sell my dick to a tribe of cannibals for another game just like it, except maybe not on a boat this time (although it's hard to imagine a better setting).

All of is true though

Something that carries a meaning in its visual choice. Renaissance style was about glorifying human position of both a creation and a creator, that's why it favores the distinct lines, bright lighting and soft colors. Impressionism emphasized the chaotic aspects of reality in humanity's perspective, that's why it focuses on moving objects and reflections. Modernism is a commentary in itself on the stagnant state of art and ridiculousness of the empty strive for uniqueness, that's why it has no coherent logic. And so on. All artistic styles have a meaning behind them. There is no meaning behind making Obra Dinn look like an old mac game other than to make it stand out from the crowd.

I remember a detective game that used the same setting and the same characters but had different scenarios and crimes happen, with the clues slightly displaced.
After solving the crime I replayed it and was way more unfriendly to the murderer of the last crime, just to find out that it wasn't him this time.
I forgot the name, it was something from the early 2000

Why does art have to have meaning in its visual choice? You're just making up this definition (which most people by the way don't use). It looks beautiful and took a lot of effort, as far as most people are concerned, that is art.

What do you want? Pixelshit?

The game starts to really drag once you've uncovered every scene (besides the ending of course).
I get that a lot of the deaths are interconnected, but the game could have maybe benefited from holding off on new scenes until the player solved X amount of deaths or something. Because as the game exists now, you spend the first half experiencing all the scenes, and the second half dicking around for hours on end until you figure everything out (and/or figure out two deaths and try every combination for the third death). It's not as elegantly paced as Papers Please.

You can end the game after seeing all the scenes, you "elegant pacing" fag.

Are you really trotting out the "B-BUT IT'S OPTIONAL" defense with a game like this? Obviously the goal is to solve all the deaths, don't be stupid.

>And then your benefactor dies and blames you, lol
Hmm.

Yes, it is optional.
Well, the "tedium" goes well with the theme of investigation, actual investigations aren't paced like a movie. There are "annoyances" of the real world that just can't be eliminated in a videogame format without eliminating all the fun and bite out of the game. Hense backtracking whiners (not for this game specifically, in general) can eat a bag of dicks. They aren't bothered to backtrack same corridor to visit a bathroom.

6 hours for usual ending, 8 for full completion.

Fucking loved it. I'd love a direct sequel that had the same engine and gameplay just a different scenario/story.

Anyone like the ending? after the tee, and the package arriving: what the fuck is that hand... and then ohhhhhhh

Even though I played this game on Yahtzee's recommendation, I have to say that he was fucking COMPLETELY WRONG about the sound design.
Any soundtrack that gives you pavlovian vibes months after playing the game is A+++

Nigger if all of that is extra content on top of how the original game was handled there is nothing wrong with any of it. If you know your game has no replayabilty and is short as fuck why not throw in an arcade mode for after someone beats the game and wants more?

Based Matthewmatosis did
I didn't until I saw his video

There was a cohesive theme and story imo. It's basically all these traditional sea monsters are real, are somehow kept at bay by the magic box, and the waves of attacks (crab riders, kraken) are to get the mermaids back.

I normally hate supernatural lore shit in games, but this one was pitch perfect. The character design is also truly terrifying looking.

>why not throw in an arcade mode
How the fuck do you imagine arcade mode in such a game? There is nothing wrong with games suited for one playthrough.

the only part I thought was clever was the monkey part. Everything else about the ending I already pieced together on my own more or less, I don't see why it was locked behind 100% completion

illusion is the wrong word, the game does a good job of giving the player the fantasy of deductive reasoning, making you feel like a detective is central to the design

What's most mind-blowing about the game is one man designed it all, did all the coding, did all the art, did the fucking music! Insane.

Slightly under 8 hours but I did scum around with descriptions a bit. Mostly around the supposedly easy people (speared mutineers). I also noticed the Chinamen shoes/tattoo but I didn't realize the numbers on hammocks correspond to the number in crew listing.

I just spent all night 100%ing it with my sister. Every time we wanted to go to bed I'd think of something new to check up. The art style is fucking beautiful and they knew the exact right order to put stuff in. All the game needed was some juicy, massive twist (we thought the captain was the one getting shot by firing squad and the guy at the start was somehow a false lead; but something as simple as the motivation for the voyage itself being something interesting would have been good.) also when it gets to the level of checking their shoes while they're sleeping the solution is so obscure that brute forcing is easier. I solved the Chinese topmen and the other Indians by getting unbelievably lucky in my first preliminary guess. Still a fucking awesome game that kept me up from 10PM to 5Am and still left me wanting more.

Attached: 1509220567111.gif (368x270, 2.5M)

I too enjoy games being delayed for inane features that add nothing of value.

I wonder why this has never launched for console or phones. Seems like money left on the table.

Almost all of them deserved it, didn't they? And he's fought monsters all the time too, it was nice to see him survive this long :(.

Are you retarded? This is the best thing a single dev could do, if this was made by a studio with 50+ people I would agree with you but the art style was a clever way of cutting corners

Only the dude who captured the Formosians really deserved it. He basically fucked everything up.

The story itself isn't that great, but it's fun to piece together nonetheless

only pc indiesharts can fall for the scam of that nogame sold like it's a "genius novelty". phones have played girlgames for year for more interesting and deep mechanics

It was the weakest part, to be honest.

The captain fucked everyone over by not tossing the mermaids when it was clear they were cursed.

Everyone was shaken up by the events but not everybody resorted to murder or mutiny.

It was entertaining at the start, sort of like those newspaper puzzles that tell you about three persons that do three actions in three sets of circumstances and you piece together by elimination, but by the time I had access to all the memories and had to just walk between them to slowly piece together every tiny irrelevant crewmember's name, I grew tired of it.

you are not the target of this game so shut up
why faggots like you always have to cry and bitch about everything