Dragon quest is not releva-

dragon quest is not releva-

Attached: 1545092386953.png (800x600, 500K)

>Redditjack and redditfrog
Please fo back.

It’s literally one of the most popular jrpgs and is known as one of the firsts
What the fuck are you on about

Why is Dragon Quest not popular in the West?

Attached: CADA8E8E-C085-44CE-B528-BF708A896B31.jpg (1180x879, 182K)

It wasn't edgy enough during the early 2000s

Dairy Queen is faggot shit and so is the rest of that picure.
Good Smash characters Square Enix owns
>Space Invader
>Bubble Bobble
>JC Denton
>Garrett
>2B
>Cooking Mama
>Anyone from Ogre Battle
And if it had to be a second visual novel rep on top of Cloud, anyone from Seiken Densetsu, Vivi, or Agnes would have been better

shitty gameplay

Dragon Quest is a nostalgia series. Meant to give a comfy feeling of exploring and leveling. Which is hard to market in the west.

Because gamers in the west have grown to be against turn based classic RPGs for whatever reason. inb4 "it's outdated"

Attached: 1558110167607.gif (1088x838, 2.1M)

The better question is why do Japanese people pretend to like dorakue
Because it is only popular in Japan because they didn't have D&D, Ultima, Wizardry, or even Tolkien novels; so, in Japan it was seen as new and original despite being a shitty bootleg with LE EPIC SO FUNNY TORIYAMA SMIRK LE ART

The real reason? The original NES games were released way way too late in the west and thus there’s no nostalgia. I guarantee if DQ3 was released in 88 in the west, it would be close to Japan’s popularity.

junk food of RPGs

>forgetting crono and neku

Attached: please no.jpg (225x224, 5K)

>next dragon quest monster game is a full console game
>dq warriors and dq builders series resounding successes
>dq11se on the horizon

all that needs to happen is a dq10 release for the west andndq chads will have finally won.

>online DQ
Yuck. Japan can keep it

>repeat the same game with incremental improvements and flair
>DUDE WHAT IF, GET THIS, IT'S ALL MASHING LOL
Westerners have shit taste. Just look at the top selling games in Europe.

test

Outside Japan it's really not.

Well they DID have RPGs, but only people with computers played them, which was a very small market. Hell, Falcom started as an Apple II seller and Kiya stated that he played Ultima and Wizardry.

5 and 6 were not released in the west until the DS, so the west only got 4 for NES and then 7 for PS, with the occasional spinoff. Europe started with DQ8.

>because they didn't have D&D, Ultima, Wizardry
Imagine being this uninformed

Speaking as someone who got into the series only after the June direct, its got a pretty rough localization history and poor timing on its release. By the time it came out here, didn't the games it inspired already got localized and released in the West?

The main appeal is also often described as "JRPG comfort food" which is a harder sell when the West isn't really that hot on traditional JRPGs to begin with.

Real talk? Why is meme fire emblem ball Z in over Sora?

>no neku

it's a great mmo.

The localization process was trash. Mother struggled with the same thing.
I'm playing the Super Famicom ver of DQ3 and I can totally see this having been a big hit in the west had it ever actually come out.

Japan had those games. The japs kept Wizardry seriea afloat at some point.
DQ was directly inspired by Ultima and Wizardry, but with an eye towards making it accessable and fun to a mass audience. DQ is the reason the RPG genre broke from the niche in Japan, contrasting with the west where it remained relatively niche for a long while.

oh hi there

Attached: 1509025728352.jpg (366x477, 109K)

You will never be taken seriously.

>no gex
>no marina liteyears

Attached: 1563147278888.jpg (500x371, 30K)

>Sakurai said he didn’t think Smash was big enough to have DQ in it and it’s his dream.

Imagine being BTFO this hard Soracucks.

Attached: B6525E84-8AA9-4016-A6E0-72143D3B50BE.jpg (225x225, 7K)

Dragon Quest was only played by that one weird kid who you always saw in the library for some reason. Not much to woo nostalgic boners for

How is Dragon Quest 11? I need a good RPG to sink me in for awhile.

Good game to play if you want to see if the series is for you.

because they refused to release the snes remakes of the nes games here and the ds remakes of nes games like dq 4 suck dick because of removed features like party chat

they even cut sprite animations out of the mobile remakes for some reason

just retarded decision after retarded decision

Great starting point for new Dragon Quest players.

Attached: 742120_20181007121538_1.png (2560x1440, 3.27M)

I head the voice overs were kind of annoying and that it's best to turn voice audio off and just read the text. What would you say?

I found the VA to be fine. But unless the VA is actually bad I don't really complain. If you are planning on getting the Switch version there's going to be Japanese VA that the other versions don't have.

sylvando was annoying and eric sounds weird but the rest are all pretty much fine, rab is pretty good

Dragon Quest is a series that's built primarily on nostalgia and familiarity.
The problem for non-Japanese people is that they originally never got the chance to play half the games because they never got localized, so the franchise's main draw has little to no relevance to them. Hell, Europe's first DQ game was VIII.

Attached: dq3-07.jpg (1000x740, 833K)

because it never gets released in the west.

What's so bad about that?

Betachy is a minecraft server without rules and no whitelist
ip to connect: betachy.cf
Join our discord today:
https:/ /discord.gg/vjHsv8J

Banjo also got in so that never was a factor.