Why wasn't GTA III so fondly remembered as other GTA games?

Why wasn't GTA III so fondly remembered as other GTA games?

Attached: GTAIII_car%3Ftula.png (360x450, 167K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kUy_cc7386k
youtu.be/qqpTq9_rf_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=eMkdtMQH7WM
youtu.be/rx-1duRqf9Q?t=36
youtube.com/watch?v=J7Ynb21uOeA
youtube.com/watch?v=01NyYQoGj2U
youtube.com/watch?v=nYCFvCXChSU
youtube.com/watch?v=eOI6f83YizA
youtube.com/watch?v=JTPIPvge3KY
youtu.be/vr1CyGEI900
youtube.com/watch?v=4Y227D1u0o8&t
youtu.be/BuYZqC7wUSs?t=220
youtube.com/watch?v=JYy69qOJWoM
youtube.com/watch?v=ySzWXgbZeYM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it is but the people who have fond memories of it are old and you dont care about what they have to say

But it had the comfiest intro music

youtube.com/watch?v=kUy_cc7386k

>stumbles away from a 1 foot barrier when you try to hop over it without a running start

Because why it’s still the most kino of the series, its still the most aged.

I remember it hella fondly though. This music still slides into my brain every now and then

youtu.be/qqpTq9_rf_Q

What made it so comfy?

Sickest jungle station ever. Too bad that shit wasn't in the original.

because it reminds mafia movies which are pretty much dead. hell, even western made its comeback

Because the story wasn't fun. I got halfway through the game then just fucked around with the cops until I stopped playing. Did the same thing with 4.

Its got a jazzy theme that belays an understated threat of violence. Like a noir theme.

Vice City is basically III with more guns and stuff. Only one year difference makes III quite forgettable.

People don't swoon over the inferior version, usually.

Vice city is 80s though thats an entirely different setting.

Is it a hard song to play? It makes me want to learn piano.

IT'S A JUNGALIST PADVENTURE
Timecode step inside the zone

Even worse for III, then. What's more fun, playing half a decade in the past where nothing was noticeably different or in the '80s, one of the most iconic decades?

I came here just to post that. Good job, guys.

Attached: Capture.png (355x435, 352K)

Was to me. I don't have much memories of the other 2.

There is a fuck load different, if I want quiet 90s I play 3 if I want loud and proud 80s I play vice city

Why did the new-gen GTA games have such crap radio stations compared to III, VC, and SA?

Yeah, a lot is different. To the detriment of III.

I love the stations in III and SA especially and when I played GTA V I always turned the radio off when I got in a car lol

No good choons, needs more drum and bass

New music bad.
Old music good.

>quiet 90s
the game starts with a terrorist attack on faux brooklyn bridge.

But even the talk shows and commercials were better in the older games

I disagree but you're entitled to your opinion.

thats fine, the other game is the 80s

Attached: moneywizard.jpg (500x750, 72K)

>To the detriment of VC.
FTFY. 3 is one of the most iconic games of all time while VC is the in-betweener and is a superficial take on the 80s while 3 is the more authentic take.

>Vice City is basically III with more guns and stuff.
And the smaller map, worse mission and antagonists. The game is a glorified 3 DLC that didn’t fix shit.

Attached: 1554941602896.jpg (1920x1080, 291K)

Yeayup

Vice City pretty much gave III the '2002...I am forgotten' treatment

youtu.be/rx-1duRqf9Q?t=36
I'm 34, I've heard this shit so much I can't forget it. AHM GOIN TA KEEL YEW
>spawn tanks next to the parking lot
>surround parking lot with tight barricade of tanks
>snipe people until police comes
>type on the keyboard "bangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbang"
>PC goes down to 5-10fps as a result

>People don't swoon over the inferior version, usually.
Except for VC fags after SA was released. You never shut up about it.

Attached: 1558031181342.png (800x600, 772K)

hmm with that being said, the game is still kind, as they say

kino

Except nobody forgets that it was 3 who changed the industry. VC is just a fun game on the coattails of something bigger.

GTA 3, along with other games such as Max Payne and Deus Ex, have this very unique late 90s/early 00s pre-911 New York vibe going on.

This is one of the prime reasons why I prefer III to VC. Vice City is somewhat parodical in how much of a pastiche of the 80s it is. The ONLY thing Vice City holds over III to me is the inclusion of motorbikes.

GTA 3's radio is god tier and the guns aren't shitty like the other 3d gta games. I don't really care enough for the 80s aesthetics and Tommy's 2000s vibe he had about him.

honestly this is one of the things that make GTA III special to me
DMA didnt even include this because it was setting apropiate, pirate DnB stations where mostly a Brittish trend and they still included it, its the one game they made before GTA became a cultural juggernaut

I do not care San Andreas

The Portland part of the city is one of my favorite maps ever. Idk why, it's just so comfy despite being the grey and rundown section of LC.

Shame by the end game you get constantly attacked by every single gang there.

It's too video gamey for IVfags and Vfags.

GTA III is my favorite because its the first one i played. came out when i was in the 4th grade and my friends dad bought it. would spend hours playing it at his house everyday.

all of the renderware GTA games were great. never bothered with the shit before or after. GTA III had great atmosphere, music, and the best city.

youtube.com/watch?v=J7Ynb21uOeA
youtube.com/watch?v=01NyYQoGj2U
youtube.com/watch?v=nYCFvCXChSU

gta iii
>the game had sold 14.5 million units worldwide
gta sa
>has sold 27.5 million copies worldwide
This is why.

I tried to play it after VC and felt dated as fuck.

youre not wrong

almost the same exact engine

i know what you mean.

I live in NYC so playing GTA III felt really bizarre, like it vaguely resembles New York but an empty, grey, soulless version of it where everyone is just blindly wandering around waiting to get taken advantage of. That unsettling atmosphere was never really matched by the prior games which strived a little more toward a realistic, living world.

Attached: 1552945127630.gif (500x260, 2.04M)

Attached: 5560portland-docks.jpg (800x600, 51K)

early 00s soul
i want to go back bros

Attached: 1537764296794.jpg (550x366, 60K)

youtube.com/watch?v=eOI6f83YizA

Attached: 1529491642095.gif (254x254, 267K)

My heavily-pigmented individuals

Attached: 1553722278197.jpg (394x584, 87K)

It's the NYC that film, TV, and music have built in the minds of people who do not live there.

youtube.com/watch?v=JTPIPvge3KY

Vice City had a better map, radio and had motorcycles

>No discussion for 00s kino Rise fm

Faggots, all of you

RUSH RUSH GIVE ME YAYO
Its like my second or third fav

vc map was the worst, liberty city is way more interesting

>liberty city stories my niggers
Just prepare to be maybe a little let down. It was developed with handheld in mind so missions are hard or short or both. Radio is one of the funniest
youtu.be/vr1CyGEI900

Map felt too small, I'm peronally not an 80s guy, and the motorcycles felt like you were driving on ice

LCS and VCS should be remembered way more fondly than they are. I'd argue VCS is a better successor to SA than IV was.

There are kids now who never know the joy of playing GTA3 and experiencing open world when it was fresh and new and not just a beaten to death horse.

You have to be about 30 to even remember when it was the big new game on the block, its sequels gradually improved the gameplay.

youtube.com/watch?v=4Y227D1u0o8&t

Attached: 1449380203002.jpg (1024x768, 58K)

every fucking thread
based

STAYING UP FOREVER
STAYING UP FOREVER
STAYING UP FOREVER
STAYING UP FOREVER
youtu.be/BuYZqC7wUSs?t=220

beta gta 3 had S O U L

Attached: maxresdefault (12).jpg (1274x720, 109K)

Generic story, generic setting, and fairly mediocre gameplay. The sequels in the 3D universe were more colorful, had bigger stories and plots, more recognizable voice actors, etc. III was still very groundbreaking and is very underrated when comparing it to VC and SA. I still prefer III to them, because it unironically had much more """soul""" than VC and SA ever did and is just comfy as fuck to play. Same reason I prefer IV to V.

WHERE'S MA DAMN TOOLS

its the new millennium cyber age shtick that existed for the fleeting moments between the late 1990s and september 10th. 2001

based

check the filename, it's not always the same person

I do remember it faggot it was my first gta game because im not lil zoom like yourself

>wasn't in the original
What?

Except that every GTA has at least a couple of great stations you nostalgia addicted cuck

>not GTA2 on PS1 / Dreamcast
Exposed yourself, dogshit zoomer.

Attached: 1308002283002.jpg (306x321, 30K)

I like it more than vice city and play it yearly, it has special feel during foggy weather.

They had fewer radio stations and I guess Labels didn't charge as much because they thought videogames were dumb

Vice City had soul. San Andreas didnt.

*ahem*

Attached: grand-theft-auto-mission-pack-1-london-1969-slus-00846.jpg (1408x1421, 731K)

Soulless compared to Vice

>Youve only ever heard the first two notes

Attached: images(19).jpg (256x197, 8K)

MSX FM IN YOUR MANOR! RIGHT CROSS THE BORDER!

I remember it fondly. If I’m not mistaken it was my first open-world game and it blew me the fuck away.

4 had and amazing and incredibly varied soundtrack. Black metal, classic rock, reggae, jazz, old school rap, weird psychedelic synth stuff.

5 was pretty shit though. Mostly zoomer music.

>driving around in the rain
>comfy

Fucking spare me, you losers. It rains in every GTA game

>buh buh but my New York style feel! Muh Concrete Jungle!!!!!1!

Fucking yikes, New York is a disgusting and ugly shit hole. Yes rain can be cozy but every GTA has rain, the rain in III is no different than any other GTA except in your imagination

NEVER GONNA STOP AND NEVER GONNA QUIT
GOTTA ROCK THE MICROPHONE LIKE THIS

So cringe and so wrong. Never post again.

Because it was basically just a prototype for things to come.
I played through the old trilogy last year. You basically need to cheat the came with his own mechanics because doing how the game says guarantees for game over. For example protecting that one car in one of the last missions for Donald Love: just don't follow it, nothing triggers and the car comes to his parking garage safely without exploding.
Do it how the game says: 20 tries, at least.

GTA III has just a insanely unbalanced difficulty curve. VC basically has just one really unfair mission which is the bank heist where everyone can die before entering the bank because they get randomly driven over by npc cars or cops shown up one time with making it impossible to flee to the next P&S or the next time barely show up outside.
SA only has the awful flying controls on both keyboard and controller but is fairly easy.

cyberpunk af

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 759K)

3 will always be my fav even though it has been surpassed objectively. I started with 1, 3 was mindblowing at the time.

>surpassed objectively

In what ways? GTA3 has:
>fastest car entry/exit animation
>character movement tied to camera, making controls more responsive and eliminating situations where you stand on a ledge, turn around and fall because lol third person
>car physics not as floaty as SA and not as stiff as VC
>all killer no filler story, no shitty drama, no grinding (buying property, conquering the hood) to maximize playtime hours

GTA 3 is the perfect GTA.

>be 6
>playing gta 3
>runnin over people
>punching everyone on the streets
>dad comes in
>he just laughs everytime someone dies
Not sure if it was the funny screams, or it was just absurdity of his son going on a murder spree, but thanks for not taking it away dad

Attached: 1562709745753.gif (400x378, 3.61M)

Fido didn't speak.

>Donald Love: just don't follow it, nothing triggers and the car comes to his parking garage safely without exploding.
Holy nostalgia i forgot about this. There were a few missions you could cheat afair

>hes posts the shit game with the shit music

youtube.com/watch?v=JYy69qOJWoM

why is everyone on this board an assblasterd autismo

Attached: 123.png (1024x1032, 65K)

Agree. Playing them on PSVita is about as comfy as it gets. Played lcs on ps2 and loved it. Currently playing vcs on vita and cant wait to play lcs on it too.

>can't vault waist high barriers
Also true of Vice City, but this hurts to go back to after San Andreas.
>the map is fucking tiny
I mean really fucking tiny. This is also true of Vice City, but Vice City is more stylized.
>the radio is okay, not nearly as good as later entries though
>the graphics are the worst of the 3D entries
>mute protagonist feels awkward and moving to voiced protags for this kind of game was the right thing to do
>dying when you touch water
Vice City also did this, never liked this mechanic, glad San Andreas did away with it
>no clothing options
Not a huge deal, but more choice for players in this kind of thing is rarely bad unless it involves microtransactions. Even Vice City has a few extra outfits included

It's still fun to get 6 stars and rampage around in, but there isn't much reason to go back to it after the first go around when the direct sequels are better in basically every way.

Because other 3D era GTA games eclipse it in all aspects.

I haven’t been in a gta3 thread in what seems like a long time
seeing this is like holy shit has it already been that long? man im not getting any younger and times moving quicker

>they dont like K-jah
you are a no good.

too dark

The graphics are better than sa the character models signs and building are higher res when compared to sa

Gotta keep up the tradition when user is not around

Why are you on autism central?

youtube.com/watch?v=ySzWXgbZeYM

>not using the best cover
The city in the back looked so cool as a kid

Attached: gta3.jpg (453x660, 153K)

Boomer music is unironically better

>Fido
Give it up

Funny, he literally said GTA III is cyberpunk but without technology.

Because the following 2 games in the trilogy improved in every way possible.

Attached: 1562575429807.png (908x763, 1.06M)

Great for its time, aged like shit unfortunately.

Because its level of entertainment is on par with GTA V. III only has the retro nostalgic early PS2-era video game vibe as a trump to V.
SA > IV > VC > III and V

5 had the fucking punk rock station. One of the best gta stations ever. PLAN B DOESNT EXISTTTT. ONLY STATION I LISTENED TOO

The one flaw with III was the lack of motorcycles. Other than that it was kino.

soul

Says who? You? Quit trying to force what isn't reality. Plenty of people remember this game it was the one that vastly popularized the franchise and is even credited largely with popularizing the genre.

GTA IV and V took place when the games were released more-or-less. Nobody really knows what songs are going to be iconic until quite some time after release. So I think the music in the newer games is a lot of stuff that maybe the developers liked at the time. There were a lot of great stuff off of both though. Most of the music in VC and SA is well-established classics, even at the time of development.

Attached: gta3 2013-01-20 22-16-39-20.jpg (1440x900, 231K)

>worse vehicle camera
>worse map
>can't even swim even though a third of it is water
Nah, I'll stick with 3.

Why wasn't GTA London so fondly remembered as other GTA games?

Attached: 220px-Grand_Theft_Auto_London_1969.jpg (220x271, 18K)

>Tommy's 2000s vibe he had about him.
Underrated. Who the fuck had a fauxhawk and designer jeans in the 80s?

Not only VC's map feel tinier because a huge chunk of it is just water, it's just flatter as a whole. The entire VC map can't even touch Portland. And the vehicle camera is better placed.

because Vice and SA were straight up improvements on 3. Everything that was good about 3, Vice and SA did better.

It's still a good game, people remember it as a landmark game and for being amazing at the time, but the following 2 games were just so much better.

every mission short as fuck
cant rotate camera without going first person (same with VC)
dudes kill you in 3 seconds
aiming is trash
cars can only handle 4 collisions before blowing up
only 4 good stations
short radio stations so same songs every time
soulless protag

still better than VC