Would someone who hasn't played the original series enjoy the Thief reboot?

Would someone who hasn't played the original series enjoy the Thief reboot?

Attached: 220px-Thief_box_art.jpg (220x231, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SzXatp644ME
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=635606028
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well, Totalbiscuit enjoyed it.

Attached: 1561586553951.jpg (890x1066, 105K)

kinda, it was alright but the Insane Asylum level was pretty goat

Maybe. But it's just mediocre game even for someone who hasn't played the originals.

If you want something modern get Styx.

no i have never played Thief and played this shit and i can understand why they never mad a second game it's shit worst 20$ i ever spent.

Play Dishonored 1 and 2 they are a lot better then this coffee saucer.

Am I a pleb if I admit I never liked the theif series all that much? I've given it enough tries but I'm always underwhelmed.

Yeah because the graphics are completey utter shit and makes the game actually unplayable.

I have always wanted to play the game but always drop it 20 minutes into it, its so fucking ugly.

ASCII games Roguelikes are more beautiful than this piece of shit.

Yes somewhat. However the game does fall apart on its own about half-way through and even before that you start seeing the warning signs. It's really clear something fucked up during development and they had to quickly redesign/rework the entire game close to the end of production. It's most clear in the story, it increasingly feels chopped together, and the audio design which is just bad.

If you've played the original Thief and know what this games supposed to be though the fact that the audio design is that bad will ruin the game for you. OG Thief has the greatest audio design ever and is really important to the game design. You essentially have to rely almost solely on audio feedback in order to figure out where guards are in the originals. The other main mechanic in the classic games is the light/dark shadow mechanic which relies on visual cues and the light meter. Both of these mechanics are pretty much broken in the reboot and the only reason it's playable at all is that the AI is dreadfully retarded. To compensate Thief 2014 steals mechanics from all sorts of other stealth games (most of which ironically were inspired by the original Thief games) but kinda fucks them up or uses them poorly. There's bits of the Batman Arkham games, Dishonoured and even a bit of Bioshock Infinite in there but Thief really doesn't know how to use them and you're better off playing any of those games instead of this one. There's also a weird design choice where it copies loads of mechanics and even story beats from Thief (3) Deadly Shadows. DS was often considered the worst original Thief game but it still had its moments. Thief 2014 copies almost all the stuff that didn't work in DS and takes nothing from the original games (which DS did, copying its basic stealth from the originals despite some hardware restrictions)

I played both and it was okay. Disappointing and clearly tried too hard to be what Thief wasn't, but a fair game in itself.

That's one of the weirder aspects if you've played the originals. Moira Asylum feels like a copy of Thief: Deadly Shadows's Shalebridge Cradle level and far, far less effective.

They're hard to get into, especially today when their visual and AI flaws are more obviously apparent. But they've also always been niche titles, even back in the day loads of people couldn't get into them.

what the fuck man

I'd say it's okay in its own right.
I must admit I expected many more enemies in Moira and much sooner.
God, shalebridge made it hard for me to sleep. I have a hard time standing creepy hospitals in general

Yes but only if you never played a stealth nor a "stealth" game before and you get a lobotomy.

I find the more you play it the more it falls apart on its own merits. Once you get up to the last third of the game it really feels like it was slapped together at the last minute.

I'm in the same position as you OP. I played Thief 2014 without having played the original.
It stinks. The level design is really basic and linear. Environmental interaction isn't very interesting. The AI is fucked. The story is pretty terrible. It's filled with Half Life 2 style pseudocutscenes. The only mercy is that it is short.

t. bought it on sale a week or two ago for £2.50. Was only worth it so I could talk shit about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=SzXatp644ME

yeah the last part is shameful
something I rarely see mentioned in thief threads is how I fucking hated Erin
She's unlikeable but the whole story is "play prince charming for Erin" so it's really hard to get into.

And what's stopping you from playing the originals?

I don't think so, the side missions get repetitive and the story is worthless generic trash. A few locations in the game are very interesting for a Thief fan though, it was nice to revisit the Keeper libraries, the haunted cathedral and Moira's island many years after the previous games. Garrett in Thief 2014 is a reincarnation of the original Garrett, the game sometimes refers to the original Garrett as Master Sneak-Thief.
A lot of great ideas, i really like the idea of revisiting the City ages after the happenings of the OG trilogy, but sadly the actual plot of the game doesn't focus on these stuff at all.

I played Dishonored and it was absolute garbage
It doesn't even have light-based detection

The irony is that the originals have none of those problems.
>Level design is open ended and often non-linear
>Environmental interaction is about as good as you could do with 1998's early 3D
>AI is really good even though it can have issues (again 1998)
>Story is quite good and told through a combination of really stylish 2D cutscenes and environmental storytelling
>No pseudo-cutscenes. Cutscenes play inbetween missions but during gameplay you are in total control for the entire mission often leading to emergent gameplay and story moments.
>Pretty long but the game's good and unique and you wish it was even longer
Really try out either the original or Thief 2 sometime, especially Thief 2 which honestly might still be the best stealth game ever. They're not perfect, they certainly have issues (early 3D graphics notwithstanding, for instance some of the level design in the first game can be frustratingly maze-like and while the AI is still ahead of its time it can sometimes shit the bed and the guards can occasionally be retarded) but they fixed all the problems you've listed with the reboot the first time around. That's why people hate Thief 2014 with such a passion.

Attached: fuckinghammerhaunts.jpg (480x360, 22K)

Well, only those who didn't play originals could enjoy thi4f.

I have the originals in my steam library, and to tell the truth I have played the first 2~3 levels of Thief Gold a couple years ago. I enjoyed what I did play plenty, stuff like the in-universe map system is inspired, but it does take more effort to get invested.
I went into Thief 4 looking for something easy to pick up and play on a console, just because I've been busy recently and didn't want to really invest myself in something that'd take a lot of effort. I figured since Deus Ex HR and MD were pretty good at that shtick, Thief 4 would be too. I was wrong.

Thief 2 does improve it somewhat. It removes almost all supernatural elements (which many players hated in the original) and makes nearly every mission a heist mission with clear directives and a well laid-out map. If you can't get into The Dark Project maybe give Thief 2 a spin.

Attached: 12614-thief-ii-the-metal-age-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x795, 68K)

>Moira Asylum feels like a copy of Thief: Deadly Shadows's Shalebridge Cradle level
That's because it is. Anything enjoyable about nuthief was just a poor imitation of the originals.

Weirder still, nu-Thief mostly seems to copy Deadly Shadows's design choices, many of which were flawed due to console memory limitations. Instead of improving on them Thief 2014 doubles down and actually makes them worse (levels are even smaller and more segmented by loading screens, the flawed hub world concept from Thief 3 is back but somehow even worse, it even uses the same teal/orange colour scheme but it looks worse than in Thief 3) while also taking none of their design choices from the original 2 games, something which Thief 3 did. Really weirdly bad game.

Yeah, I'm still mad about it.

Don't forget, Thief 2014 was a crossgen title. Console memory limitations were as important to that game as they were to Deadly Shadows.
Thief 2014 had to run on a console with 256MB of RAM, of course the levels were going to be pitifully tiny.

thief series as a whole, each game plays like someone who never played the previous one but loves all the concepts it demonstrated created the next one
the first two are great, the third one is decent only if you're into that exact niche type of game, and the fourth one is just dogshit

Agreed but despite its problems Deadly Shadows was designed to fit within the limitations of the OG Xbox and despite many issues still played like Thief. In fact it had larger levels and more ambitious design choices than Thief 2014 which was designed to fit in superior hardware.

Game falls apart entirely after asylum level. The only good thing about this game is the main hub and even then they completely drop the ball by making the neutral NPCs unresponsive and sparse. The inns have like 10 people in them and doesn't have anyone you can actually interact with outside of the one or two questgiver/vendors. Lots of missed opportunities and lost potential.

>imagine having this kind of shitty taste

It depends, the story was arguably the best in Deadly Shadows, and the atmosphere is pure Thief, it's even closer to The Dark Project/Gold than The Metal Age is. The game got better AI and better light-shadow system too, but the level design was more restrictive and it doesn't have rope arrows.
Thi4f on the other didn't improve a single thing on the previous titles.

Its worse than Dishonored, so I don't see why anyone would play it, regardless of whether they have played previous Thief games or not.

64MB in 2004 was a lot more than 256MB in 2014.

But then there is the obvious fact that Thief 2014 was an utter hackjob. The levels and especially the cutscenes are cut together comically badly.

*on the other hand

Thief Gold can be pretty hard to get into from a cold start. Thief 2 is a lot friendlier to newcomers. It's worth considering just skipping to T2 if you can't get into the first, it's still one of the best stealth games made and it's a lot more polished and sure of itself than T1.
If you do like it you'll probably want to play T1 and you'll be ready to appreciate it a lot more

Thief: TDP has some low points by doing forced action sections in a stealth game, which are infinitely worse than forced stealth sections in an action game. Thief 2 is an improvement over TDP in pretty much every way; it's all of the good parts of Thief 1, but bigger and more of them, with none of the bullshit. Thief: DS is crap, and the only reason anyone remembers it fondly is because THIAF was a fucking dumpster fire; also, Robbing the Cradle was a horrendously overrated mission.

I played them in reverse order. Thiaf -> Thief Gold -> Thief 2 - > Thief DS
Guess what? I absolutely hated the hack bullshit that is remake. It's not even that the dev team was unable to capture the magic that made the originals special, it's that those hacks weren't even aware there was magic in the first place because they likely didn't play the original games at all and thought that neither did their audience.

Also, on the unrelated note, I think TDS is treated unfairly. Stealth balance became much more fair (enemies aggro more quickly and at more things but forget about you more easily so you can just wait it out in the shadows and not awaken half of the level trying to escape and eventually resort to reloading, how it often happened in T1-T2) and full body awareness actually helped me to understand how to position myself on the edge of shadow pretty well.

I didn't know there was a Thief for the DS

>mom said it's my turn to rob Lord Bafford's manor

Attached: thief-4-garrett.png (1920x989, 724K)

Deadly Shadows with the connected levels mod is probably the best way to get a new person into Thief.

Play the original series instead faggot.

Never played the originals, got it for free when I bought my graphics card. It's fun for what it is, but nothing that special. Don't expect too much and you'll have fun playing it.

No. Don't make my mistake, user.
>MC is an edgy cunt
>get rival/love interest/father-daughter/damsel/side kick of a STUPID FUCKING CUNT
>the main bad guy is so evil you don't even know
>AI is braindead
>paths of no return (exploration, mind you)
This is the most generic soulless edgy shitty fucking game out there.

Yes but DS managed to also fit in a really complex light/shadow system despite the levels becoming smaller which still looks pretty fucking good by today's standards. Proper light/shadow systems take up a lot of memory and Thief 2014 doesn't even have that. I know the new game does feature higher quality textures but the fact that it's a massive step back from even Deadly Shadows is a massive fuck up no matter which way you look at it.

Yeah and look what happened to him

Go play the originals or Dishonored.

Attached: tumblr_oen1bhYQFH1ttbsqno1_1280.jpg (1223x915, 116K)

don't mind me, just dropping a maymay I made a while ago

Attached: thief cat maymay.png (600x620, 336K)

tell me about nuGarret, why does he use eyeliner?

>eyeliner
You mean eye shadow? Probably doesn't sleep much and it just looks like that

they're the only people who possibly could

Attached: 1520976407236.jpg (1920x1080, 646K)

nah bro that's make up

It was the first one I played and was shocked by how shit it was that I went and played the originals to figure how the fuck anyone would have liked it

Don't touch the Thief reboot. Play the original games.
If you want a modern stealth game that's good, play Dishonored 1 and 2. They're both ridiculously good. Dishonored 2 is honestly as close to flawless as you can get within a genre.

Attached: dishonored_2___corvo_attano_by_vollhov_dap3rd4-pre.jpg (1192x670, 60K)

Rest

>Dishonored 2 is honestly as close to flawless as you can get within a genre.
That writing though.

Nobody plays games for writing.
In terms of gameplay, level design, world building, art style, etc., Dishonored 1 and 2 are godlike.

Attached: MV5BZDg1MzE2YmUtNDM3Yy00ODYyLWEzZDAtMzI1ZmYyNjc4NDFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY0MTE3NzU@._V1_.jpg (2000x3000, 2.82M)

They maybe good overall but they're terrible as stealth games.

>Nobody plays games for writing.
>what are crpgs, wrpgs and visual novels

How so? Not trying to start shit, but I always found it pretty fun to play stealthily. It accomadates both playstyles, especially 2, which expanded the non-lethal and quiet ways you can take down enemies (Domino, Drop Takedowns, Reflect Takedowns, etc.).

Not really. The enemy AI is pretty good for a stealth game, it's just the actual stealth mechanics that the player uses that are lacking, and when you really think about it, they're lacking compared to the Thief trilogy. Just like the stealth mechanics of literally every game released after 2006.

Probably. That's exactly the target audience for the game.

>Nobody plays games for writing.
Horrific post.

That came out kinda wrong, I suppose.
Writing is important, but as long as it's not egregiously offensive / terrible, I can overlook it if the rest of the game is good enough.
Dishonored doesn't have the BEST writing, but it's story isn't terrible, and the rest of it is good enough that it doesn't tarnish the game.

Yeah, that must mean that it's absolute GARBAGE

It has light-based detection. Thing is that you can't just disappear into a shadow and the level design has no pitch black areas. Shadows only help you hide, they don't hide you entirely. Plus the game doesn't have a light meter.
A much bigger problem with Dishonored is the fact that the audio sucks. You can't hear anyone's footsteps to figure out where they are and you can't hear your own footsteps to figure out how audible you're being. The last game to use sound properly for stealth was old-gen Splinter Cell Double Agent and even that one didn't have properly balanced audio and had to rely on an on-screen sound meter unlike Thief.

>Niche studio in 1998 STILL btfos modern game devs in sound technology

How did this happen bros
Even if the games became soulless at least we were supposed to get technological advancements

How is Thief 3?

Just beat TDP a few minutes ago, was still pretty good but holy fuck consoles were a mistake. Controls like absolute ass.
Inner Cradle was much less spookier than I expected (and Outer was only spooky when I didn't know what to expect), but then again the fact that I hex-edited out most of the constant annoying ambient in the game may have something to do with it. Still, Haunted Cathedral was way more tense.
The hub was actually a good idea, but going through the same areas and waiting out the same patrols over and over gets old quick.
Level design wasn't too great, not a lot of unconventional passages compared to the first two, if my memory serves me right.
Never used third-person but that still shouldn't have been a thing.

All in all, a good enough way to finish up the trilogy, and thankfully Thi4f's existence can be ignored completely.

>TDP
Taff, meant TDS.

It was a flight sim developer trying to make a medieval fantasy adventure simulator.* They wanted to make every system as complex as possible because the more factors there are, the more likely it is for interesting emergent things to happen as those systems interact. Modern games try to do a few simple things and those things have been tested so they always produce the same outcome. That's safe and easy to produce, and unintimidating for the lowest common denominator players.

*Dark Camelot was supposed to let the player play a knight, a thief and a wizard and every gameplay system of all three classes would have been as complex as the stealth mechanics are in Thief. The game ran into development problems but the devs didn't want to give up on it. In fact the stealth mechanics of the thief class were so damn good that they made an entirely new IP around those mechanics alone. That became The Dark Project. The only other thing that carried over from Camelot was the barebones swordfighting mechanic.

A big part of it is that Looking Glass created their own engines for their games. Starting arguably with Doom, developers increasingly built their games on top of other people's engines. Usually these engines were originally designed with FPS shooting in mind and thus are often hard to re-purpose into a different genre. Look at Unreal and the original Deus Ex, DX's shooting, stealth and rpg mechanics are clunky as fuck on their own. Because of this trend developers often find it hard to make any kind of game out of these engines that aren't pure FPS's.

yeah its an OK game but you'll never get the feeling of Gold and MA so it doesnt really matter if you're thinking this as a thief title. Its irrelevant to compare it to OG titles.

Moira Asylum was trash once you found out what the enemies look liked.
Only the intro felt creepy because it's a walkimg sim done right.

Correction: Looking Glass made Ultima Underworld before any flight simulators although I do agree with you as far as the simulation aspects go.

Pretty much this. I played the originals too, but even if I hadn’t I would still think nuThief was boring.

I'm glad that the first two games have a semi active modding scene so we will never run out of Thief to play.

Attached: Everything You Need To Know About Thi4f.jpg (840x833, 202K)

To the OP: have you played Prey yet? If you like games like Thief and Dishonored, I would recommend it.

Attached: A260A45D-041E-42F3-A72C-C4A950581EB0.jpg (1812x2048, 977K)

The only good thing about this game was the leak of its 360 version and the Yea Forums stream of it.
I have no mouth and I must EH!

Attached: 1542431496944.jpg (221x195, 17K)

The only good mission was teh bank heist DLC because it was actually like the original.

I paid $60 for that shit. The story was hilariously bad.

>$60
I’m sorry, user.

Attached: DFEC5710-C1C8-4343-B263-618D1C1F3DCC.jpg (460x393, 62K)

Someone must have that .gif, please post it.

Good storywise. Mod it before playing the game.

I have 100hr in each of Thief 1 & 2, as well as so many hours in The Dark Mod yet there's something that I can't put my finger on Thief 3. I've attempted three times to play it but each time I lost interest after an hour.

Attached: 1542103014618.png (574x366, 440K)

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=635606028

I had it modded and everything, it's just how the movement works after the first two games that threw me off. TDM didn't have that issue.

I liked frantically rummaging through cabinets hoping nobody would catch me.

Everything else sucked, budget Dishonored.

I think Minimalist Project does something about that, have yet to try it myself though.

Don't the original City and OG Garrett make a cameo in 2014 Thief?