What went so right?

What went so right?

Attached: fear.jpg (323x433, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ssJncRWqorg
youtu.be/4QqXrW1WpZA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It was made for PC.

Gritty atmosphere and perfect shooting mechanics.

The Vollmer VK-12 Combat Shotgun

The shotgun.

The enemies were satisfying to fight.

>you may live long enough to see nostalgia fueled indie games made in the likeness of games like Psy-Ops, Black, FEAR 1, and Timesplitters

the future is bright

The developers asked themselves "how can we make a fun game?"

Attached: 1560700451976.png (723x897, 149K)

Is there a cooler enemy faction than the Replicas? I don't think there is

FLASHLIGHT

Unironically this. Now that's lost forever.

the engine was great for the time. still holds up.

TARGET SPOTTED

BEHIND THE SOFA

youtube.com/watch?v=ssJncRWqorg
Also, Timespliters Rewind.

>le scary little girl
I loved FEAR's gameplay but when it slowed down and tried to be a horror game it would piss me off so much.

I CAN'T SEE HIM

SHUT THE FUCK UP

>all that bloom, motion blur and post processing effects

Attached: e97.jpg (680x680, 45K)

As a turbo autist, they're one of the few sci fi soldiers that look futuristic but don't infuriate me by looking absolutely stupid as fuck and un-deployable.

Black was mediocre as fuck and if it was released on PC it wouldn't get a second glance and no one would be talking about it today

Unironically this. Had much graphics and combat was balanced for mouse+kb. Also, I feel like it was made exactly at the right place in time, when video games had stories but they didn't completely wrestle focus away from gameplay.

Attached: 1357448715723.jpg (1024x768, 225K)

And then came the sequel

Everything except the horror aspect. Tame ass fucking game that's unironically less spooky than even Doom 3. Gameplay is good though.

I would like to explore an entire village corrupted by Alma... it would not be like Silent Hill, there would be more life to it. But at night you double lock your motel room unless you are going out to investigate, and it makes it all the sweeter when it is daytime and you can relax drinking coffee at the diner or asking the librarian about town history

Yup, pretty much. It was designed with PC gaming standards in mind so they made a quality product. Also, this studio made Blood as well, so they proved themselves before.

succinct

>Played FEAR for the gameplay
>Oh hey this story is really cool
>Play FEAR 2, it's a console downgrade but the backstory is interesting and not as bad as everyone claims
>Different manifestations of Alma do different things, little Alma pranks you, teen Alma protects you, old Alma rips and tears, sexy Alma tries to get the D
>Player FEAR 3 it can't be that bad
>Start off in some middle eastern prison
>Your brother is a live but dead so what was the point of monolith splitting the timelines
>Health regeneration
>Bullet time lasts only half a second so you're forced to hide behind cover instead of charging through rooms with a shotgun
>Guns feel whiffy and pointless
>Alma is on your side so the paranormal shit feels threatless
>Cultists can take a headshot
>You go place to place because they wanted to rip off COD set pieces and eventually get to Alma
>Cliffhanger
I still want a FEAR 4 but only because I don't think a FEAR remake or reboot could match the original

FEAR 3 has kino co-op

>You go place to place because they wanted to rip off COD set pieces

It was genuinely the weirdest fucking game I've ever played. It felt like a SNES game because all the levels just seemed to be there for the sake of being there like Sonic zones.

>Prison level
>Desert level
>City level
>Forest level
>Fucking GROCERY STORE LEVEL

I'm surprised there wasn't a mine cart level, although I never finished it so there probably was.

FEAR 2 just feels really fucking weird to me
>all these fucking guns that either suck shit or you never get more ammo for them
>the short mech sections
>your squad is completely forgettable
>fucking "zombies"
I'm certain there's more but I can't remember shit. The moment you leave the hospital the game takes a fucking nose-dive in quality.

Well I wouldn't know because everyone I asked thought it was a joke or refused in horror like I'd asked them if they wanted to cut off a finger together

I only know it was ripping off COD because I bitched about it before on Yea Forums for being so weird and some user told me how the first level mirrors COD's and how there'd be an airport level later
I unironically thought the Grocery level was the most interesting even if it was cartoon villian tier
The final level was the only one that felt like a fear level atmosphere wise
>Then your grandpa appears as a giant zombie thing as a boss fight

Attached: 1539299237591.jpg (272x252, 8K)

It was universally loved by deviantart girls. Babby's first horror game that's so unscary it has a low entry for 12 year old furries to play while sympathizing with Alma and making OC of her, or drawing a picture of them hugging a chibi Alma.

The grocery store level was also my favourite part, but it was still weird as fuck because it wasn't laid out like a grocery store, it was laid out like an arcade game level with a "grocery store" tileset.

>Nerfing the shotgun
>Making them all feel weightless
The fucking nailgun barely felt as strong as the pistol from the first game, I hated shooting all of them
>The moment you leave the hospital the game takes a fucking nose-dive in quality.
I didn't even rate the hospital because extraction point did it so much better
I really liked the school level though, I'm even amazed the game let you shoot up guys in the school
>I'm certain there's more but I can't remember shit
How about the final lore file spoiling the ending 3 minutes before it happens and on top of that the file is supposed to be from before the events in FEAR 2 and your experiments

I want to fuck young Alma.

>one of the levels is some nightmare about Harlan Wade
It's like they brought back characters you would recognize just to kill them off. The story made no sense and you had no reason to be in any of those places. In the last minute of the game, characters still act like they're unsure whether Alma's really giving birth or not, and it's the ONLY moment in the game that matters. It had different developers so that's why it feels like a low budget COD.

You people can't be serious. John Carpenter had a hand in it and endorsed that game.

Actually FEAR 3 was developed by the same team who made Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate, which hinestly just raises so many other questions

Weren't those deemed non-canon by the time of 2?

Wow, almost as though someone you like can make something that ends up being fucking terrible.

Those are expansions to the first game, they didn't design the whole thing. I never actually finished them because they felt like more of the same, and the problem with the first game was repetitiveness.

It is that fucking bad, I thought he was just a "consultant" like when movies hire historians to sit on set drinking coffee to claim their movie was more accurate but no he narrated FEAR 3 so he thought it was a good story

Yes, FEAR 2 was the sequel story monolith wanted to tell
>Complain about the DLC's affecting your timelines like bringing back the brother, the ending of EP and the chemical thing and other merc company in PM
>Ressurect the brother in the FEAR 2 DLC anyway
>Warner Bros hire the expansion guys to do the sequel when you went out of your way to make their story non-canon

It wasn't, it was made by the guys who ported the first FEAR to consoles

>Black
youtu.be/4QqXrW1WpZA

>the examined of gaming
>the guy who prefers marathon over doom and goldeneye over quake.
you have to go back.

as long as we're throwing out wishes i'll take a spiritual sequel to urban chaos riot response

Attached: 12.jpg (1600x1200, 524K)

>ad hominem
YOU have to go back.

Atmosphere. That office building episode was fucking kino

imagine playing fear on consoles lmao.
But seriously i wish the exclusive console bonus missions and the Instant Action Maps were on pc

2/3 of the game is an office building episode

back to your videos, zoomer.

fucking this

even the later port to consoles, ran like shit on them.

FEAR was so obviously made with PC first / only in mind

now, 2 and 3 on the other hand...

he used to be good

its called "aging" bro

that's wrong, though

maybe a third was in the offices

but for a good portion, maybe the other third you're confused with, you're going through facilities, some of the factory kind, some of the laboratory kind

those aren't exactly offices, retard

Forgot to say the console versions have exclusive weapons.

Good graphics in a time that good graphics meant that a game is good or bad.

bump.

Fear Xbox 360> Fear PS3

ded

that isnt hard considering both are shit

but but the bonus missions.

a fair point but calling it shit was the only thing i could think to say, the thread was on page 10