This game is just fucking trash. You're constantly at the mercy of RNG. Sometimes your character will grab the ledge...

This game is just fucking trash. You're constantly at the mercy of RNG. Sometimes your character will grab the ledge, sometimes he just won't. The buffering is fucking rage-inducing.

How this has a competitive following is beyond me.

Attached: H2x1_NSwitch_SuperSmashBrosUltimate_02_image1600w.jpg (1600x800, 498K)

git gud

Shame this man for questioning nintendo

I don't think that's RNG.

>buffering
why did they add this garbage to smash

You can't even jizzlenob a boobledash off a wombono°5
Garbage

Yes it is? It's happened to me countless times.

RNG = random number generator, it doesn't mean "thing I don't understand so it might as well be luck".

Nice bait, faggot.

Attached: 41db049c-841a-4e62-8398-3fe1e153e8f6.jpg (1200x1200, 166K)

So what is it? Why does my character just slide against the ledge without grabbing it?

sorry kids facts are facts. play a game where you can jizzlenob or stay in your crib

Bad netcode probably.

>Sometimes your character will grab the ledge, sometimes he just won't.
thats just not true. if youre not in lag and near the ledge you will grab it every time. youre just fucking up lmao
the buffering system fucking sucks, thats true, but its absolutely possible to get used to and when you figured it out its actually easier to perform some combos that require frame perfect/instantaneous inputs

The game is bad but not for the reasons you stated.

So the game is just bad. Got it.

flawless logic, mr. hawking

It's not terrible in local play but in conjunction with the lag + further buffering online that's to compensate for wifi shitters, it's fucking infuriating.

>sometimes he’ll grab the edge, sometimes he won’t
Sounds more like you need to literally git gud - as in, with more play experience you’ll naturally start to understand why your character isn’t grabbing the edge. It is by no means random.

My advice is to avoid attacking too close to the edge because you won’t grab the edge until the attack is completely over. Also, don’t fastfall near the edge because you’ll pass by it

The only time the buffer is a problem is when you are playing against DK and mashing out can get you killed, otherwise stop pressing buttons you dont want pressed

Some characters like Cloud, have bad edge grabbing after an Up B because... balance, lol.

Maybe git gud, watch a vid of how your characters play like.

False. It would have absolutely nothing to do with netcode, since it’s frame-perfect syncing

>It's not terrible in local play
Yes it is

No its not

Well if your holding down in while trying to grab a ledge, you won’t. It’s a mechanic to let you bypass the ledge if you want to. Sure your not holding down in sometimes?

Here is my rule of thumb when it comes to ANY good video game: When a button is pushed, the button is pushed. I don't give a fuck about "buffering" or "input delay" or anything like that. If I press the JUMP button and I don't IMMEDIATELY get a fucking JUMP then your game is shit. Plain and simple. It's not a problem in Street Fighter, it's not a problem in Pokemon, it's not a problem in Streets of Rage, it's not a problem in Persona, it's not a problem with Bayonetta, it's not a problem with No More Heroes, it's not a problem with DORA THE FUCKING EXPLORER SAVES THE GODDAMN CRYSTAL KINGDOM

SO
WHY
IS
IT
OKAY
WHEN
SMASH
DOES
IT!?

Attached: IMG_20190614_100131.jpg (373x322, 24K)

There is no input delay in local. Stop playing fucking online and get some friends you spaz

It’s not a problem in most of those games because those aren’t online except SF, which does have some of those issues.

>Spirit mode feels soulless and boring.
>Classic mode doesn't feel as addicting like it did in Smash64/Melee
>Samus's ass is more manly now
>Unlocking characters is now just a braindead endeavor of playing for 20 minutes instead of meeting special conditions
>Feels like the devs took all their resources and put them into making a fuckhuge roster instead of making a game that is fun to play

I can't believe I enjoyed Smash 4 more than this.

Attached: 1442613164749.jpg (640x480, 54K)

it's not. it might take some getting used to but it's not bad. there are some techs/combos that pretty much require it. ice climbers in particular use it well.

i wish there was some way you could just turn it off though in the controls since it's such a polarizing feature.

What character/recovery?

actually it really doesnt work like that in other fighting games. in every fighting game moves have lag. if you try to do something before the moves lag is over, you cannot do that.
in other fighting games if you press a button while youre still in lag and keep it pressed afterwards, the move mapped to the button youre keeing pressed wont go out. if you press the button after the lag is over, the move will come out.
with smash the difference is that if you keep the button pressed while youre still in lag from a move then after the lag from the move is over, the button that youre keeping pressed comes out instantly.
so just dont press the buttons before the endlag of your moves it over. if you did that in any other fighting game, you wouldnt get a move at all, thats also not what you want obviously.
so the solution in both cases is: just press the button at the right timing. then you wont have a problem with the buffering system at all.

This but unironically.
The day I got it I wasn't having any fun, first Smash game where I legitimately stopped playing after a week. Every other Smash had something to stand out, with Ultimate it's just a mess and it tries to appeal to both casual and competitive audience but falls flat on both.... like the Switch.

Don't hold down while going by the ledge.

>Samus's ass is more manly now
thats the one thing that actually pisses me off lmao

what did sm4sh have to stand out?
i get what you mean when youre talking about every single other smash game, but sm4sh was just objectively worse than ultimate

it also makes it inconsistent to short-hop-fast-fall-nair
the timing you need to have in order for the game not to register it as a down air is annoying as fuck

>Yea Forums hates Monster Hunter World for no legitimate reason
>It makes a boatload of money
>Yea Forums hates Sekiro for no legitimate reason
>Yea Forums hates The Witcher 3 for no legitimate reason
>It wins GOTY
>Yea Forums hates Smash Brothers Ultimate for now legitimate reason

Can't you people just admit you don't like video games and move on? Christ.

Attached: 1553445412682.jpg (253x322, 17K)

i have no problems at all doing that. i assume youre talking about landed nairs, since buffered (lel) nairs obviously require a bigger break between pressing the a button and flicking the stick down.
i feel like the timing isnt tight at all and i never accidentally dair

The buffer system with the eight frames of native input delay (if you play with GC controller, all other controllers add more input lag, especially wired Pro Controller) makes shit impossible to play, you're going to get a wrong input because you held it "too long" when it's the horrendous input lag that makes that happen — even at fucking tournaments I've seen high level players have mistakes because of this exact problem.
Not to mention that online is so garbage, the super lag from online coupled that with the buffer system you're bound to get frustrated.

They need to have a toggle for it.
Also that, and remove pummel completely from the game, I've never played a game where you need to mash your controller for more than 8 seconds to get out of stun. It's like they want to destroy controllers so more people will buy replacements.

when's the last time you played melee? i'm not being patronizing, but if you play each game right after another you'll notice what i mean.

people just think its a cool personality trait not liking popular things. this board is full of pretentious hipsters

>How this has a competitive following is beyond me.
Agreed, it's really not something people should take too seriously. Smash is to fighting games what Mario Kart is to racing.

Forgot to mention how there's no dedicated boss rush mode and you have to play through world of shit or classic just to fight any of them.

i absolutely get what you mean. i mean its widely known that melees controls are just more crisp than any other smash game really, but i dont think that makes ultimate bad. its absolutely possible to adapt imo.
and its been a couple months btw lmao

imagine sucking at a literal party game for children

DUDE Yea Forums IS ONE PERSON LMAO xdD

I mean, you all pretty much share the same hivemind opinion.

Mechanically like Pivoting, Power Shielding and C-Sticking tilts actually working, which isn't entirely exclusive to Sm4sh but was very necessary for gap closing player skill.
It had Custom Specials and sadly the best online for an official Smash game.
It's hard to praise Sm4sh cause it wasn't amazing but it wasn't garbage, it had small bits of "hope" that they'd learn from it and maybe do better, but that just isn't the case.

>remove pummel
No
There's no reason to remove it because you don't know how to move your circle pad in a circle.
It allows characters with weak grabs to tack on a bit more damage, and it can also get characters into combo range if they're percentage is a bit short

i agree it's possible to adapt, and i also think it's understandable why the buffering is there (even in melee i prefer characters with 4 or 5 frame jumpsquats), but i also think that the fact there isn't a toggle has more of an effect than it should for top level play
maybe im watching the wrong matches, or it has less utility than in melee, but i rarely see fast fall aerials utilized at tournaments

>Pivoting
what? Pivoting still exits, there's a whole technique called Pivot Boost.
>Power Shielding
Which is both more useful, punishing if you fail, and harder to pull off in this game, what are you talking about?
>C-Stick Tilts
Still work? Are you talking about C-Stick aerials functioning differently, which has been a problem since Brawl? Are talking about how the games tops registering your inputs if you spam the input?

k

Attached: i hate that this took forever to make.jpg (800x794, 210K)

well i mean yea, ultimate tilt stick fucking sucks. and the online too obviously, but i feel overall the game is way more enjoyable than sm4sh. at least for me
the option to turn it off would be really nice, thats true.
but fast fall aerials is the majority of moves players throw out in neutral. and thats true for tournaments as well. its weird to me that you feel like theres not a lot of that jist going on

i mean yeah, but in retrospect it still had more kill confirms, shield dropping, and functional shieldstopping
the shieldstop meta was cancer, but that was for reasons that were outside of shieldstopping itself
i think nerfing shieldstopping paradoxically makes ultimate more defensive, since running forward is now always full committal, and i doubt we'd see the same shit from tr4sh since grabs in general got nerfed

still better than tr4sh

Also, the base mechanic and overall physics are much better in Ultimate, and things like universal jumpsquat and lower landing lag across the board makes playing nearly every character feel better, and there's also much better balancing and character design choices like giving Wario back Shoulder Bash, the toning down of Bayonetta and Cloud, and huge buffs to lower tier characters like Palutena, Wii Fit, and Pac Man.
Custom Specials were a mess honestly. Some were useless (and in some cases for some character ALL of them were useless like Jigglypuff and Bowser Jr.) and some where fucking busted like Donkey Kong's automatic edgeguard punch and Villager's automatic stage control Sprout, not to mention is absolutely ruined Palutena and made the Mii's unusable in competitive due to a global ban (even though they also had other issues)

i do see your train of thought, but the truth is that the meta of ultimate isnt defensive at all. aerias in general got buffed to shit so people are just hop around throwing out spaced aerials insted of camping and punishing

I exaggerated abit about removing pummel, I mean it shouldn't be as infuriating to get out of.
I remember Villager's down smash pummel being easy to get out [in early percentages like from 0%~100%] if you just do quick circles on the left stick, but now it takes much longer in Ultimate almost three times the amount, making me feel like anyone with a move that can pummel are rewarded with free extra damage just because they landed it.
Just make it easier to escape from early on, I can understand if I can't escape from it at like 170% onward but come on, 80% and I can't escape without breaking my controller?

if youre using only one stick to mash, youre doing it wrong
just actually mash buttons in the beginning, then when you feel like youll be out soon switch to stick, shield and jump buttons so you wont throw out moves immediately

>constantly at the mercy of RNG

Attached: 1560343137391.png (630x441, 224K)

Wait, you said pummel, you're talking about buries? What do you mean Villager's down Smash pummel, he can't grab out of his bury.
I'm a bit confused

Attached: confused pac.png (284x346, 103K)

i didn't mean to imply more defensive than smash 4, that shit's just a few steps above brawl, but i meant that it's a decision which seems to be made to favor offense on paper, but in practice, that change favors defense.

>pummel
You’re talking about being planted. Pummeling is when someone hits you with A while grabbing you.

I don’t mind the planting timing, but I DO mind that follow up attack do full knockback now instead of reduced 50% like before

Git Gud
Get a social life
Insignificant bait-fag scrub.

Attached: JPEG_20190705_154909.png (480x445, 104K)

yea i know and thats true and all, but thats not the reality of the meta right now

Game feels clunky as fuck where as Smash 4, a game with less movement options, felt smoother to play.
Probably just a placebo or some shit

in what world did sm4sh feel smoother than ultimate lmao

Wow it's almost like it's a fighting game or something and you should play with others instead of the single player modes.

>You're constantly at the mercy of RNG
This thread doesn't deserve the number of replies it has, but I guess one more won't make a difference at this point.

Attached: No_sense.gif (499x367, 488K)

I disagree about the clunkiness, but know exactly where you're coming from about Smash 4's smoothness.
I think it's mostly due to the speed.
Smash 4's animation flow made use of its slower speed to make things move smoothly.
When they took out frames everywhere to make Ultimate play faster, animations had to become snappy instead of smooth.
I think they both feel good, but I do miss how much better some characters like Mewtwo flowed in 4 compared to Ultimate.

Attached: Teleport Read.webm (960x540, 1.92M)

a functional and remotely enjoyable online that was also free

cant argue with that, they fucked the online big time in ultimate