What made N64 games so unsettling?

What made N64 games so unsettling?

Attached: gfs_87020_2_3_mid.jpg (540x405, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ji5fpUdYOmE&t=28s
youtube.com/watch?v=v8TdqxGq6Sg
youtube.com/watch?v=g3QYSoBx1ts
youtube.com/watch?v=TY0WQofidZg
youtube.com/watch?v=exitUhNu52U
youtube.com/watch?v=vVh-U8oysCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=YL9EDi-6ako
youtube.com/watch?v=oVTOPYoN7t8
youtube.com/watch?v=5nbYxEP2tDE
youtube.com/watch?v=z3g8VF6f4MU
youtube.com/watch?v=8btnaFsKqiY
youtube.com/watch?v=8dx0q4UlTLY
youtube.com/watch?v=3yjqaeO14c4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'd say more it's PS1 games

low draw distance and lots of fog to hide that fact. and sparse level detail. N64 games could have very haunting, spartan atmospheres even with bright color palettes.

The Brapcodes

>low draw distance and lots of fog to hide that fact.
First thing I thought of. Just look at this shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=ji5fpUdYOmE&t=28s

Attached: 1-Quest64Usnap0289.jpg (640x480, 197K)

Glover was a game where it seemed like everyone had it but I never knew anyone that actually liked it.

The music certainly helped make things more unsettling.

Attached: 2-Quest64Usnap0290.jpg (640x480, 120K)

I remember renting it once and it creeped me out bad enough to not rent it again.

I owned it and beat it a couple times. I really loved the soundtrack it had.

Attached: slash.png (1214x832, 240K)

Fuck this game.

youtube.com/watch?v=v8TdqxGq6Sg

Attached: n21zbwLD0E1s3uawvo1_r2_400.gif (400x278, 1.66M)

youtube.com/watch?v=g3QYSoBx1ts

Attached: GoldenInsistentDamselfly-size_restricted.gif (334x251, 2.52M)

youtube.com/watch?v=TY0WQofidZg
Probably the most unsettling game on n64. Every part of the game feels wrong on a primal level. You feel like you shouldn't be there, and the game knows it too. It's very eerie and uncanny even during the 'cheerful' sections.

Attached: aidyn chronicles.jpg (1280x720, 102K)

I loved it but it was way too hard for me as a kid. tried to play it as an adult and didn't find it fun enough to keep playing

Eerie fog
Fat, sometimes barren worlds
Early 3D leaving more to the imagination

Other N64 games i find very unsettling for some reason are Jet Force Gemini, Gex: Enter The Gecko and the fucking Rugrats board game

Its okay
The gimmick is actually pretty cool and the ceiling for sick skill based platforming is high.
The levels can be bland though

fuck you I loved glover, rented it 5 times my bitch mom wouldn't buy it for me, j/k love you mom

Doesn't help that the snow wookie enemies look like zombies.

Glover had some good tracks.
youtube.com/watch?v=exitUhNu52U
youtube.com/watch?v=vVh-U8oysCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=YL9EDi-6ako
youtube.com/watch?v=oVTOPYoN7t8
youtube.com/watch?v=5nbYxEP2tDE

youtube.com/watch?v=z3g8VF6f4MU

Attached: 1-Quest64Usnap0146.jpg (640x480, 196K)

GLOVER 64, FOR THE NINTENDO 64
LOVE THE GLOVE

youtube.com/watch?v=8btnaFsKqiY

Attached: boo mansion.jpg (1280x720, 83K)

even back as a kid I knew this game looked like shit

youtube.com/watch?v=8dx0q4UlTLY

Attached: shadows of the empire.jpg (800x500, 60K)

I think part of the problem is learning how 3D graphics are made kind of ruined the magic for me. I literally had no idea how any of this shit worked, and in the early days you'd get this baffling glitches and bugs that would get you a peak behind the curtain. I remember reading about how if you weren't careful in GTAIII, you could fall out of the world and end up in the "blue hell." I didn't even have a picture or a video, there was just a warning to be careful that your character doesn't slip through the cracks and fall into hell.

Early 3D games also did have this odd sensation of being infinite. The world was surrounded by fog, or darkness, or something and you honestly didn't know where the world of the game began and ended. It's so weird to see how truly tiny these maps were, looking back.

I'm playing Amid Evil right now and it's one of the few games I've played recently to give me these vibes. I wish more games would dick ride early 3D half as much as they did fucking SNES sprites.

Attached: n64vspstextures.gif (1024x1024, 959K)

What do you mean? Mr. Tip was kino

top kino

This game is mostly comfy, until it needs to be very very creepy.
Scared the shit out of me at 7

>Early 3D games also did have this odd sensation of being infinite. The world was surrounded by fog, or darkness, or something and you honestly didn't know where the world of the game began and ended. It's so weird to see how truly tiny these maps were, looking back.

This. I remember having no idea how games worked and thought I could find tons more levels/areas in Mario 64 to explore if I could just get past the boundaries.

YES SIR

youtube.com/watch?v=3yjqaeO14c4

This game definitely gave me unsettling vibes in youth. This is a thread talking of the visual aspect of the limited N64 tech, but the compression of audio from this game is a humongous part of the atmosphere.

Despite clunk, it's still one of my favorites.

the fog

It wasn't.

Attached: 691f6e9.jpg (656x845, 46K)

>What made N64 games so unsettling?
The controller not being designed for actual humans.

Playing Mario Kart 64 by yourself in the time trials was top creepy if you turned off the music. You feel like you're the only thing alive in that entire area but it feels like someone is watching you, sometimes it's an inanimate object like a train or the smiling snow men. So you want to keep a low profile but your engine is making all this noise so whatever else is there certainly can hear you.

Attached: Mario Kart 64 Kalimari Desert.jpg (1600x902, 164K)

>he can’t pick up a 64 controller right this second and feel comfortable. Lmao fag

Zoomer