Why have no Assassin's Creed title managed to capture the feel of the first game?

Why have no Assassin's Creed title managed to capture the feel of the first game?

Attached: creed_box.jpg (480x604, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hx9Q3PtTRrs
youtube.com/watch?v=atYFVDLrSR4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Unity kind of did but the gameplay and the story were absolutely horrendous thus killing the series

Origins and odyssey are arguably the best games in the whole series but they are a completely different thing

I honestly like the 2nd one better.

2>Black Flag>>>>>Everything else

Attached: 81s2LdTj7qL._SS500_.jpg (500x500, 48K)

This. Unity was the right direction but Ubisoft had to fuck it all up releasing a broken mess.

First game built everything around the next target, and the targets felt like actual tangible entities. Threats. Combined with the Crusaders not fucking around, the world felt less like a freeroam sandbox littered with chores and a little more hostile.

Not that much, though. By degrees. Even Ubisoft's Prince of Persia series was monotonous, and their Assassin's Creed series ramps that to 11.

because literally every other game is an improvement gameplay wise

Black Flag is the best simply for the setting

Attached: blackbeard.jpg (1280x720, 71K)

Origins is fine but they went too far with the grinding and randomised equipment in Odyssey.

Also Kass is shit

OG Assassin's Creed was possibly the last original, non-deriverative IP created by a AAA game studio. Everything since it has been a remaster, a sequel, or it is too deriverative of other works to be considered original.
Everyone who played it when it dropped knows I'm right because they have a strong and fond memory of it, which hardly any singleplayer game since has been able to establish.

Is it still broken?

that's a lot of words to say "I played it when I was twelve"

>Why have no Assassin's Creed title managed to capture the feel of the first game?

because other assassins actually know how to swim.

brotherhood

Couldn't help but notice that you ignored my premise and attacked my character instead, so I'll rephrase my premise to help you conceive an opinion:

Name a SINGLE one-player game that is as original and non-deriverative as OG AC that came out after it.

I think 2's a better overall game, but it's like what said. It's like Assassins Creed 1 is the only actual 'Assassins Creed' game, because you're supposed to plan, kill your target, and get out. Trying to fight is going to get you fucked up more often than not, while in every game after 2, you turn into a demon that can 1-shot an entire battalion because they only attack you one at a time and counters are easy.

Unity kinda did, it was definitely the closest one.
You see, II was supposed to be Ezio's only gamr. While 1 was Altaïr's journey regaining his status and ending with him in control of the Apple while hearing Al-Mualim say "destroy it, you said you'd destroy it!" and Altaïr replying he "can't", II was supposed to be a far more personal journey of Ezio using the Brotherhood as some kind of means to an end and achieve his vengeance. Just like with Altaïr, his ending was supposed to be foreboding; in his case, the fact that 23 years of vengeance were in vain as he was only a conduit for Desmond. The last time we should've seen Ezio was with him under Rome, baffled and with more questions than answers as he's abandoned by Minerva.
Then in comes Ubisoft's suits realizing this IP quite literally prints money so I hope you enjoy two spin off titles than needlesdly continue both Altaïr and Ezio's stories, firing the guy that created the games in the first place so they can bastardize the franchise, then kill Desmond in the game that has tons of cut content to make it to the meme 2012 date, and then you get to play the best pirate game ever as a fucking AC of all things.
Unity is the last good one.
I'm still fucking mad.

Attached: 1558802590471.jpg (1024x631, 116K)

Unity now after the patches has great graphics, good quests and a lively city. But most importantly, it puts the focus back on being an assassin. I only played AC 1 and 2; hated Origins and love Unity

Retards like you need to fuck off. AC1-Syndicate all had the same feel. It's the nu-AC witcher ripoffs that have nothing to do with the original games

Assassin's Creed Unity is one of the only games in the franchise worth playing and revisiting. It's the last good game in the series as well. There's much more emphasis placed on stealth gameplay. Assassin's Creed Unity is more of an evolution of the original Assassin's Creed. Chain killing has been removed, though you can still parry and stagger enemies in open combat. Unity has plenty of weapon variety and customization options for the character. Pole weapons, axes, one handed swords, maces, cleavers, much more. Though you have to enter numerous sub menus just to change your gear. The game needed some sort of radial menu to swap out weapons.

The story isn't too bad either. As a character, Arno doesn't amount to much more than a retread of Ezio in Assassin's Creed II. I liked the situations that Arno was placed in, however. Unity was pretty interesting if you find the time period of the French Revolution interesting. For a good chunk of the game, you're on the side of the French Royalists who defend the monarchy. Some missions have you doing activities such as destroying letters of correspondence between King Louis XVI and the Parisian leader of the Assassins, there's another mission where you put a stop to an assassination attempt on King Louis XVI, and you bring an end to the Reign of Terror when you capture a stereotypical demonized Robespierre. In Assassin's Creed Unity, the Reign of Terror is portrayed as though it were some sort of Templar conspiracy to gain control of the middle class through paranoia. When Unity first released around the end of 2014, there were a few leftist French critics who condemned the game for fueling counter-revolutionary narratives, but Arno speaks in favor of the French Revolution when he talks back to his assassin mentors from time to time, so the game isn't wholly counter-revolutionary.

Attached: 1542716599300.jpg (1920x1080, 1.73M)

It's a natural course of action for conspiracy theory cliches (Unity's depiction of the Reign of Terror) to come about through a counter-revolutionary narrative, and conspiracy theories are part of what made the original Assassin's Creed compelling. If anyone claims that Assassin's Creed Unity is purely counter-revolutionary it just exposes that person as short-sighted.

If there is anything weak about Unity's story, then it all comes down to Arno and his Romeo/Juliet romance with Élise . Arno is born to an Assassin father, then later on Arno is orphaned and the Parisian Templar leader adopts him. Arno's adopted father has a daughter (Élise) and she eventually joins the Templar cause while Arno follows in his biological father's footsteps. Even though Arno and Élise are of two different factions they love each other. As the French Revolution comes to a head, the Parisian Assassin leader and the Parisian Templar leader wish to secure their power structures so they sort of come to a temporary truce. And with Arno as protagonist, we see the story through his eyes and he longs for the days of security from his childhood. That's also why Unity gives the impression that the populist revolutionary movements are wrong, though some of the antagonists in the game have compelling viewpoints. There was plenty of nuance in the story. Arno was just too weak of a protagonist. Ezio playboy 2.0 doesn't fit this type of story that well. A more ideologically driven protagonist could navigate the mess of the French Revolution and find a better alternative. Unity raised a lot of questions regarding stagnation, extremism, corruption etc but everything gets swept under the rug in favor of Arno's romance with Élise.

Attached: 20f8441513e220bcf57de989d39f7aaf60f5500eb2ad7663c757726e95eabf89.jpg (1616x1080, 174K)

>2
>the main reason why the game abandoned stealth in favor of infinite counter kills and started the whole trend of Templars and Assassins being responsible for pretty much everything that ever happened
The setting and the soundtrack was top tier tho.
>youtube.com/watch?v=hx9Q3PtTRrs

>Also Kass is shit
Itching for a fight, are you?

Attached: kute.webm (960x540, 2.52M)

>started the whole trend of Templars and Assassins being responsible for pretty much everything that ever happened
1 already did that though. Sort of. The very last computer you gain access to in the first game talks about the Crystal Skulls and the Project Philadelphia among other things

Like I said, you couldn't fight off an entire city in AC1. You can't in syndicate either, unless you're a high enough level. Every AC in between that turns you into a god instead of an assassin.

>1 already did that though
My point is that the whole deal with those two factions should've stayed mysterious and vague instead. Same thing with Reapers - revealing what they and their plans are ruined them.

AC is just open-world Prince of Persia,

aren't you fighting off an army at the end of AC1?

just got origins on PS4 and the audio quality is terrible and everything is floaty, is this normal?

Only a couple of soldiers then you fight the bald guy
Not a real army

>Unity
>bad gameplay
Its gameplay is the absolute peak of the series. It felt like the perfect evolution of its parkour, not to mention its open assassination missions

>sneak behind someone
>try to stealth kill it
>can't because not enough level.

I fucking loathe forced RPG mechanics that go againts the principles of the game. Should've focused more on the "Assassin" part or make an entire new franchise that dumps it in favor of making an actual RPG.

Unity did, it was the last real ac game. also got unity at midnight on release and experienced hardly any bugs and really liked it, guess i was lucky. Though sadly it was tainted for me as it was part of the new post 3 (3 was shit but could be overlooked) lore/games and as enjoyable as Black flag was it shat all over ac for me mainly with that fucking retarded modern day game development story that ruined my ability to take it seriously. Also the final assassination of unity where arno slowly slides the blade in was pretty impactful and conveyed alot of emotion. It's arond the 4 minute mark i believe. youtube.com/watch?v=atYFVDLrSR4