How come water always look so good in video games?

How come water always look so good in video games?

Attached: 1532527258631.png (1160x653, 1.02M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ipsd6rYj6Mk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: nice water.png (1000x1000, 1.46M)

Amateur 3D modeler here. Most water you think looks good is just a reactive displacement map, and because of some minor culling and particle effects, it reacts accordingly to simulate an actual baked water simulation.
In the future, ray-tracing will likely improve, and allow real-time water simulations to occur. However, in most cases, what you are seeing is 'units' of bound physics objects that just come tight together to look like water.
It hasn't always looked so good, though. A lot of water in games is quite literally an animated texture with a large bump map, and maybe a transparent splash effect that triggers when you enter it.
As to why it looks so good, I'd wager it's because cloth + liquid physics have always complemented each other's development throughout the history of 3D motion graphics.

>always
As a water fetishist I can tell you there's plenty games with SHIT water. And don't get me started on there not being any splash or ripple effects.

Attached: batman.webm (1920x1080, 1.53M)

It's psychological. This is the part of the game where you escape where you really are and get to imagine you've escaped to someplace that isn't completely terrible.

I bet it was still the best looking part of the game though.

Eh, looks better IRL.

Based.

Arkham Knight is STILL the best looking game of the generation.

I liked how vanilla Morrowind has nice water. the game came out in 2003 and the water effects are still the only graphical part of the game that hasn't aged that badly.

Is that fucking jelly?

STILL has the best looking water almost 20 years later. how the fuck did they do it? It looks AMAZING

Attached: Super_mario_sunshine.jpg (256x363, 125K)

i hate using graphical overhaul mods, OpenMW or the graphics extender because they all replace the default pixel shading that makes the water look so good

Witcher 3 has probably the worst looking water out of all modern games.

>how the fuck did they do it?
That's actually pretty interesting. It's dead simple and crafty.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ipsd6rYj6Mk

twilight princess actually has amazing looking water

Is it finally playable on PC? Or should I just get it on PS4?

No point in having amazing looking water if your character can't swim (or even dive).

I played it after all the DLC was out on PC. Played just fine then.

all the amazing looking water in the world doesn't mean shit if you can't actually swim in it

I played this game at 1440p when it came out, maxed out. It almost looks like CGI at times, even when you fly around the city. The craziest part is that it runs on an ancient Unreal Engine version. Modified 2.5 or some shit.

Wrong?

>Mogs your water

Attached: SeaOfThieves -Water2.png (1920x1080, 2.79M)

It is CGI. That's the inherent nature of most video games.

Attached: SeaOfThieves -Water3.png (1920x1080, 2.13M)

Attached: SeaOfThieves -Ship1.png (1920x1080, 1.96M)

>computer generated images look like computer generated images
whoa...

This, when I first got the game, the water blew my mind, it looked so good.

Yeah my boy here knows what’s up!

CGI used in any context refers to pre-rendered movies, you dumb dumbs.

>Always

Attached: 1563055194648.gif (294x244, 480K)

Le dunning kruger has arrived.
Water in video games is actually just a dedicated GPU shader.

Seems like the secret is the right shade of turqiose to give it that nice tropical vibe

Best water is in waverace 64.

Because we are made of water and skeletons

fpbp, came in this thread hoping to see this image and it was better than I could have expected.

works fine on pc for me and my 2015 high end gpu

Honestly coloring the water correctly for its environment is like 80% of selling the effect. Tropical colored water in a forest lake is going to look wrong no matter how good the tech behind it is and vice versa

Unless it's STALKER and you just came across an anomaly.

I still remember being blown away by Wave Race 64 as a kid.

Attached: 5654.gif (400x400, 2.94M)

Haven't even played Wave Racer, but I love the style that gif has. Compressed soul.