Attached: fishing.png (1000x761, 1.03M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=glT-IvRRgCA
youtube.com/watch?v=iTgJHU3MB24
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

having fewer polys gives you more time to have sex

how come tho

Which game?

soul. Image looks comfy as fuck, I love fishing in rpgs. Fantasy life was amazing for that because it made a whole class out of it.

Let's your imagination fill in the gaps

it from old game and old game have soul so low poly mean soul!

S O U L

Attached: lowpoly.gif (512x384, 2.76M)

This, but also, there are many ways to depict a tree with low poly, while paradoxically there's only one way to show a realistic tree.
Yes I know hi-res doesn't always mean realistic but they're just often associated.

You can fit more objects on the screen at once.

It's comfy

Attached: treasure.png (750x750, 504K)

more artistic freedom and coherence instead of shitty photorealism that will look outdated in one year

Attached: 1545468519286.png (800x680, 109K)

Soul

i get fucking hypnotized if the game is too hyperrealistic, it all comes off as a blur, but it might just be my super autism

Purity.

low poly:
>less triangles to render
>art style
>higher quality shaders with less of a performance hit
>RTX viable
high poly:
>trillions of triangles that you wont notice during gameplay
>art style traded for photorealism
>low quality shaders
>RTX quarters your framerate

It reminds you of the past, that past that will never come back and the only way to apparently relive it is through old games.
Aka nostalgia

i love low poly but breath of fire 4 looks better with sprites.

Attached: 37CrCeL.gif (500x375, 551K)

soul
cutting costs and not being graphicsfag shit means the devs don't need every sub-human mouth-breather to buy the game in order to recoup production costs; so, devs can instead just make an actual game without minimaps, cutscenes, objective markers, regenerating health, fast travel, third person perspective, and other movie shit

Game?

>that you wont notice during gameplay
Isn’t that kind of the point?

With the right artstyle they're timeless. They also allow your game to be visually unique as opposed to realistic games where the only real difference is the kind of filter they use.

the point is that you dont need an excessive amount of triangles to depict an object, its called deminishing returns.
low poly makes it into its art style

Pixel art and low poly games actually looks like games, wanting games to look like movies proves how immature and insecure the medium, the industry, and the audience are

Attached: tiki.jpg (1200x672, 259K)

Some kinda goddamned Wizard of Oz game for the DS.
youtube.com/watch?v=glT-IvRRgCA
Check the 20-second mark.

Attached: 1535615291382.png (1030x775, 534K)

tfw no low poly sonic game outside of that small area in Sonic World

Attached: FF40DC2E-51AC-4A06-B2ED-ABA536B2D555.gif (720x404, 748K)

SOUL
Should I play this version now that the translation is out or should I wait for remastered on Switch?

nostalgia

but if this becomes a new indie wave, 99% of devs will screw it up having """low-poly"" models designed in 1080p or something. Low-poly was good because people worked with huge constraints to make it look decent regardless

In sonic mania there are low poly 3D sections hidden in each level. They're my favorite part of the game

resolution has nothing to do with the poly count

That's not what I mean. I meant how high-res and fps will make the lowpoly look so out of place anyways
youtube.com/watch?v=iTgJHU3MB24

I'm assuming there's a portion of people who are expecting PS1/N64-tier aesthetics when they crave for lowpoly so you can't forget about the res and fps

It's like with painting. low poly is like using big broad brush strokes and implying a lot of detail and high poly is like hyper realistic paintings tiny little brush strokes filling out every detail. a lot of the time leaving out details makes things more aesthetic and allows for inventive art styles

this is autism

This

It's the same reason why people find cartoon/anime characters appealing. People in real life have imperfections; long nose, freckles, pimples, puffy cheeks, small chins, protruding forehead, etc. Low poly art styles usually removes that, only keeping the basics. Of course that doesn't mean simplistic art styles are always good. Some people like myself like having some disparity here and there.

Pic related.

Attached: wolf biker.jpg (1600x1143, 559K)

More games are starting to look the same with photorealism, pixel art, hand drawn animation, and, the abomination that is the Fortnight color scheme. So now many game devs, wanting their games to look distinct, are emulating another part of video game graphic history for their artstyle

What's the appeal of high poly games?

There is an unlock where you can play as Sonic in Christmas NiGHTS at least. I think it was omitted from the digital re-release though (Maybe someone can correct me on that).

Attached: sonicitd.jpg (1280x720, 49K)