How good is this game?

A friend told me that this is the best GOW with a more complex story and better combat than the previous GOWS. I also saw that it got GOTY but I'm still skeptical. What are your honest reviews?

Attached: GOW.jpg (1200x630, 336K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IERHMMXeshc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>it’s phenomenal, play it
>it’s shit, don’t bother
There, that’s all this thread is going to be. We can all go home now.

Just check reviews on youtube to see if its something you'll be in to

>walking simulator
>complex

Attached: 1558642280681.jpg (200x177, 12K)

story is more hollywood than other games, so maybe more complex in that way. combat is worse as fuck

I don't know if it's *better* than the other GoWs, but it's very different, and very good on its own.

I got it for free from account sharing with a friend and got bored after 2 hours

The fact that few people have come to attack it of defend it in your thread should tell you all you need to know

very solid game actually that feels complete.
im amazed that a ps4 exclusive didnt have dlc.
the fighting system was ok but the lack of weapons and the camera right up your butt all the time was definitely a let down for me but it does feel satisfying to land hits and actually kill enemies.

That tells me that it is just an average game at best.

It's pretty good. Fun to explore the areas, recommend playing on the second highest difficulty. Could use more weapons, but there's a lot of customizable abilities you can switch up

/Thread
It is good though

Great combat
Great story
Good puzzles
Encounters can get pretty hard

Definitely deserves GOTY.

overrated but not bad at all

The tone shifted from rage to fatherhood, but it feels like that was their intent all along. Though there is no more hoes to bang for orbs it's still not SJW in that it's actually his son despite the memes and there is no forced homos/nig nogs. They also did their homework with Nordic mythology, you can tell they went to the direct sources.

Wait until next gen remaster on a hard drive that isn't operating over usb LOL

overrated. but not bad
the good things
>graphic
>no loading screens
>ok gameplay
the bad things
>shity puzzles
>focus more on story and less on gameplay/world
>shity bosses, they recolor the same bosses
>highest difficulty add nothing, just enemy can kill you in one hit and you need 10 to kill them

overall, not a bad game, but is not worth more than 30 $

Attached: 1561351914308.png (1880x1418, 2.57M)

>a more complex story

Attached: 1533744063801.jpg (500x338, 21K)

>STORY BAD

Attached: a8e.png (404x399, 9K)

I've never seen such a good looking game.

Personally, I found the difficulty pretty inconsistent. I found the normal difficulty kinda tricky, but the one below it was braindead. I#ll admit that I've got worse at games as I've gotten older, and I only have a limited amount of time to play, so sadly I had to drop it.

The original GoW story served its gameplay aka the best kind of story for a game

I think you are missing the point. He is more likely saying that the story isn't complex, not that story itself is inherently bad.

>NO YOU CAN'T WRITE A VIDEO GAME STORY THIS WAY!!!!

Attached: 015.png (434x327, 37K)

Yeah you might as well make a movie if you want to make a story that actively hinders the game

pretty good
the only bad thing is the lack of ennemy and boss diversity
and lack of violence and gore
this will be inclued in the sequel hopefully

it doesnt do anything new but what it does have is phenomenal polish

The hardest difficulty is ridiculous, engaging ,very challenging. V just shits on this game because to thought it was going to be a cuck simulator, but it really isn't. Very good game.

it's pretty b a d __

It’s ok, especially when the game opens up at the lake. But I can’t stand the leveling system and the shitty camera.

Beautiful game with fun combat and easily the best story since the first game.

Graphics: 10/10 (you can still see the concept art, every sight a painting)
Music: 8/10
Combat: 9/10, (though there could be more enemy variety. Fun bosses.)
Story: 8/10 (good character focused story, setting up sequels, all (side-)characters are fun or good but there's not many of them.

Deserved to be GOTY as far as I'm concerned.

Attached: MV5BZmY3ODk0OGMtMzM3Ny00NmY5LWFjYjMtOTk1YjVhZTg5M2VjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_.jpg (1280x544, 124K)

How does this game compare to DMC 5?

bit overrated but it's actually decent, play it op

>no forced homos

Attached: sindri.jpg (950x935, 140K)

Having to watch cutscenes doesn't actively hinder the game

Attached: ed745093e8f7789950e065e840effe7d.jpg (1024x768, 52K)

I think it did do something new, there are no over the shoulder fighter games like it.

Well I guess godhand is similar but that was a long time ago, and it bombed.

medicore combat
utter shit story
braindead puzzles for idiots zoomers

deserves shit award

>Brothers
As for his personality there are plenty of fussy men who're not gay. In fact is extreme fear of germs would make bumsex impossible.

at least it has some actual r34 now cause of sseth

How anout not letting you jump when you want because it would look silly in their ultra serious story

The hardest difficulty is fighting huge HP sponges, exploiting the poorly designed mechanics (especially cooldowns), dying to teleporting enemies and cursing the abysmal camera.
It’s a mess

How many people in here who played it beat it on the hardest difficulty?

Story is better in GOW but everything else(combat, bosses, music, framerate, replayability, etc) are infinitely better in DMC5

Sounds like u shud git gud

That's not a flaw

That is a flaw becuase its taking a mechanic away from previous games in the series, making the gameplay worse

The skill ceiling of using your completely safe cooldowns when they’re up and running away when they’re not isn’t very high, but it’s enough to complete the hardest difficulty

I played it start to finish on youtube and seemed alright.

The harder difficulties in this game are really bad, some of the worst I’ve seen.

Design is perfected when there is nothing left to take away

Sounds like you don't block and Dodge and use your tools efficiently. Did you just cheese the whole game instead of actually learning to fight?

Git gud, it's like dark souls.

But the only reason they were taken away was to serve the serious story. Also, is it really perfected when those taken away mechanics are replaced with tacked on rpg mechanics and minutes long walking sections?

Despite the praise they got I really hated the Balder fights. Beating him isn't very fun because he's just a homeless guy going "nuh uh" whenever his health goes down to zero.

>WALK BAD
>JUMP GOOD

okay

gameplay: good
story: don't really give a shit
music: ok

8/10

Attached: 1513502233142.jpg (1000x1000, 107K)

>I think it did do something new, there are no over the shoulder fighter games like it.
*blocks your path*

Attached: God Hand.jpg (484x682, 66K)

Yes jump is good becuase it opens up more possibilities for gameplay where as walking is tedious and useless

I referenced godhand already below my post

here.

It’s pretty different from the other games in gameplay and tone, but I think for the most part it’s for the better. There’s less button-mashing and more focus on defending and parries, which turns out to be pretty interesting.

However sometimes the pacing gets quite slow when you’re in-between significant story events, so your mileage may vary.

It’s quite a bit overrated IMO, but certainly a good game.

I didn't hate it or anything, but after beating it I had pretty much no desire to touch it again. I found it had too many long and unskippable walking sections and too little enemy/boss variety for there to be much replay value. The puzzles weren't interesting either and I can't remember any that deviated from the formula of either A) freezing/unfreezing obstacles with the axe or B) quickly hitting those nodes when the Blades are enchanted with Hel's wind.

In terms of bosses, I thought it felt like they poured all their effort into Magni & Modi and treated the rest as an afterthought. Hraelzyr in particular would get my vote for worst boss in the series. Mechanically speaking he's really restrictive and he doesn't have much going for him in terms of spectacle, something GOW bosses are normally good at. At the time, I didn't even notice that the way you kill him was a reference to how you kill the Hydra in GOW1 because the fight bored me so much.

I think changing Kratos' voice actor was a big mistake. It was already difficult to see this Kratos as the same character given that he behaves so differently & we aren't shown how he came to be this way (all of his "character development" seems to have happened before the game begins). Christopher Judge sounding so different to T.C. Carson really exacerbated this issue for me.

What difficulty did you play it on?

Having played every GOW game apart from Ghost of Sparta, whose story I'm still familiar with, the story didn't do anything that the series hadn't already done before. Chains of Olympus, Ghost of Sparta and Ascension in particular were all really effective at humanising Kratos, and I would argue much more effectively than GOW 2018, since Kratos in those games had a violent side to contrast his more human side against.

Kratos and the violence in GOW 2018 in general are really tame. The only particularly violent execution animation I can remember is the Wulver's. In places, it feels like the devs wanted it to be as cathartic as the previous games, but stopped halfway there because they were afraid of making this new Kratos seem like not such a nice guy.

This half-baked approach rears its head again in another area, the "theme" of grey morality. The Dark Elf king's dying words implies that Kratos & Atreus helped the wrong side, but this is never brought up again or expanded upon. Earlier than that, they dedicate a fairly lengthy scene to Kratos consoling Atreus after killing a bunch of human raiders, but this is the only time you fight humans in the entire game (when earlier versions of the game had you fighting humans much more often). The gameplay reveal trailer also showed a troll begging for mercy just before Kratos kills him, but they cut this from the game too. The story would have been more interesting if they kept this sort of stuff in.

The OST really disappointed me too. GOW has always stood out to me as one of the few series with an orchestral soundtrack that really stood out from the rest, but I can't remember a single track from GOW 2018. Felt like white noise most of the time. The worst part is that there isn't a remix of Zeus Wrath Divine/Phoenix Rising/Brothers of Blood.

Some things I thought it did well:
>the hitstop makes the weapons feel very good to use
>decent amount of side content
>the voice acting and dialogue were generally good
>the art direction is good and the game in general looks very nice

TL;DR I wouldn't call it bad, but it tries to do too many things and as a result doesn't do any one thing particularly well. The previous GOW games do most of the same things but are much less bogged down by design trends of their eras, so both their combat and stories feel much more focused.

Like a lvl1 dark souls run maybe. Enemies never take this long to die in Dark Souls unless you’re purposely giving yourself an extreme handicap.

Dark souls is easier than gow on the hardest difficulty I agree. That's why it's so good.

Normal at first then I bumped it up one. The highest difficulty is completely bullshit in the beginning. Like harder and less fair than NG of Master Ninja.

if you own a ps4 and haven't played it yet, what the fuck are you waiting for. it's excellent.
/thread

I bought it a year ago and never got around to it.

You must learn to parry, dodge, shield break and use your axe efficiently. It's not cheap, it forces you to get good with the mechanics and the enemies.

Wasn’t a fan of the GoW hardest difficulty. Enemies not only do a ton of damage but also have ludicrous health pools and take a lot less hitstun. It just means you need to kite literally everything and hope nobody teleports up your ass.

hmm i feel like with they may have expanded alfheim with dlc but decided against it. Is there anything in norse mythology that might give us some clues?

give me god of war is a lot more fun with the zeus set

Not being able to see behind you makes the game more engaging, you have to have more spatial awareness.

youtube.com/watch?v=IERHMMXeshc

But there is an ng+ which has new armour and you can use blades of chaos from the beginning.

I mean, yes I know how to do these things and only attempted it after beating the game once, but the early game is totally lopsided on a hardest difficulty even if you play it properly.

Guys, why everyone keeps talking that this game is linear? There is an entire hub world that drastically change after water level lowers, side quests about gnomes and their kingdom, mission where you can free dragons, treasure hunts, muspelheim realm with challenges and niflheim realm with dungeons.

>t. bitter incel

I could see that, it’s that starting from 0 is like inordinately rough.
Off-screen attacks are almost never good in an action game, especially this one where you easily get like 3 shot in the beginning on give me GoW.

I mean, I liked the game but don’t see myself having any fun on a new file Give Me GoW run.

You can hear them and predict them, also can turn the camera to watch for them while swinging

Attached: offscreen attacks.webm (640x360, 2.98M)

Whatever, I thought it was great that they had a difficulty that hard.

It's just an average game, none of the elements are done particularly well.

It makes a statement about over-loving, single mothers.

I was shocked that was barely any ambient music when exploring which the previous games had, it really added to the atmosphere.

Story-wise...

it's pretty good but not AMAZING, temper your expectations and you'll enjoy it

Ill make my point as to why its a bad game without sounding like a sperg then:

>claustrophobic camera which resembles more what you would find in a survival horror and not an action game, especially a god of war game.
I can only assume they went for this camera to try and mimic The Last of Us since its the greatestest fucking game in the universe and the parent-child dynamic is such an easy way out for bad writers
>only one weapon for most of the game and then you get one more
>CONSTANT cinematic walking and hidden loading screens where you cant run or sprint because you are supposed to have some forced conversation during a hidden loading screen, huge gate opening or climbing section.
>boring soundtrack
>shit enemy design. Most of the times you wont be able to see what the fuck is going on in the screen because the enemies and the environment are using the exact same colour patterns while theres a million effects flying around.
>repetitive as fuck bosses. You will fight "Troll" or "Ogre" at least 15 times. Only exceptions are the valkyries (the queen being a copy of the previous ones), the dark elf and the main antagonist. The main antagonist, by the way, is the shittiest one Ive seen in a game in my 20 years of vidya, hes a whitetrash numale with tattoos and mommy issues, and his power is that he cant be touched or hurt by anything! HA WhAT CreATIVITY!
>all the skills are boring
>nordic setting is boring as shit. I dont give a fuck about what some weak bearded redditor says, vikings are shit and so is their pantheon, go fuck yourselves.
>"odin this" "odin that" "thor this" "thor that"!. Theyre never in the fucking game.
>shit rpg elements, shit sidequests and shit skill trees. every single one of these is boring
>that part in the game where the kid finds out hes a god and starts acting like an asshole in the absolute worst writing Ive ever witnessed in a videogame (seriously look it up and just watch that, its amazing)

Attached: 1528692091095.jpg (558x504, 57K)

Its a good game but a bad god of war game.

Combat is fine, but not amazing. Story is fine but not amazing. It looks very nice. Pass on it.

WRONG

If you don’t like long walking and talking segments, long unskippable cutscenes, hidden load screens that are just risk free climbing segments, or a game prioritizes story over gameplay then no.

I’d rather have a loading screen than having to hold forward so the game can catch up. At least I can use the bathroom or check my phone with load screens