God i hate cryptic progression in 80s and 90s retro gaming

god i hate cryptic progression in 80s and 90s retro gaming.

i'm replaying tons of retro games currently since i like their newer games (like Zelda, Metal Gear, etc.)

but there is stuff in those games where i'm running around for hours without any clue what to do. latest thing happened in Metal Gear 1, where the game expected me to detonate a RANDOM WALL without any clues whatsoever to progress. nothing hints at that exact spot, i would have needed to try every single wall in the game to progress. so i looked it up then.

or currently i'm playing Zelda A Link to the Past for the first time and i'm stuck. i just got the moon pearl, Master Sword, and Zora Fins.
i always ask the fortune teller where to go next (which costs fucking rupies everytime) and he says that i need to head to the smittys well next. which has some sort of wooden pillar blocking my way. i have absolutely no way of knowing how to progress and i'm thinking about looking it up, but that would be really gay

Attached: zelda.jpg (300x217, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qtc6q5qfNRc?t=237
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nice blog post.

git gud

theres nothing to get good in user. no skill involved.

its like asking you about a random number that i write down on a noteblock and you have to guess the exact number. nothing to hold on to, no skills involved. so please stop saying that i need to "git gud" cause thats not true, i'm not bad at videogames at all.

Metal Gear 1 is kind of strange about that stuff sometimes. Needing to call Jennifer to open a door is another example. It's still a great game, but that stuff holds it back. Metal Gear 2 is much better about that.

A Link to the Past is not difficult whatsoever to figure out where to go, though.

fuck zelda's pusy

This is bait, right?

Well, Souls games are like that and everyone seems to be happy with that.

How about you just pay attention and learn the game

>My first playthough of Dark Souls was blind and offline
>After the first tutorial mark teaches you to smack walls for hidden secrets, smack every wall I could find
>Found the hidden path in the dead tree that led to Ash lake
>Mind fucking blown

You're the cancer killing immersion in games

>immersion

Attached: 7C44C77F-9668-4855-93DB-AB74C1E99347.png (454x520, 13K)

Those games were made by literal autists for literal autists

>Metal Gear 1, where the game expected me to detonate a RANDOM WALL
You mean the wall that's visibly different than other walls? You know you can get into 1st person view and inspect things, right?

user old games needed to have artificial longevity to a) sell strategy guides and b) to take more than 2 hours to beat because the storage medium is tiny

Metal Gear 1. user.

Not Metal Gear Solid.

Here’s your reply.

I dont know how it is in the NES version but in the MSX version a person who tells you about where to find a whole bunch of items never calls you during the first half of the game nor are you told their codec number. Maybe its mentioned on the manual (possibly as an anti piracy measure), but as it stands the game is incredibly difficult to progress in the modern day without a guide.

The whole point of getting the master sword is so you can beat up the wizard. So go beat up that fucking wizard. Honestly the game makes that pretty clear extremely early on.

oh OK

Fucking retard
A Link to the Past is as uncryptic as it gets, literally spells it all out.

>old games needed to have artificial longevity
No they don't.
They could make games that are just fun to play. But making super difficult shit for autists is much easier.

What is wrong with exploring a bit? You if this is to open for your taste play more linear games. No harm in that. Not all tastes are the same

I agree about MG1 being convoluted, as said it was probably meant to be played with a manual at hand.
Now ALttP is as straightforward as it gets, no clue how you can get stuck on this.

Sounds like he's explored the light world as much as he can for that point in the game. Issue seems to be he's too fucking dumb to go back to the castle to achieve the entire point of his quest before the bait and switch happens.

Maybe explore a bit and start paying attention? This is what happens when you grow up with quest markers, stop blaming the game for your zoomer brain.

I beat this game as a literal child, sit around and think about what you should do, that's how we did it as kids. Your ADD medication riddled brain is making it hard for you to think.

There is literally NOTHING that is hard to figure out in old Zelda games.

LITERAL CHILDREN played those games back then. You have literal non-meme autism if you have any difficulty whatsoever with them.

Okay NOW i got it, playing the game parallel to checking the thread.

HOW was is meant to figure out that i can break the lightning covering the gate on top of the castle with my sword??

Especially when the Fortuneteller says, that i cant beat the wizard with my master sword without upgrading it before and sends me to the smitty.

Like: the game gives you clues to progress but you have to do something whole different that completely breaks the set rules for the games. At no other point i had to Swing my sword at fighting lighting.

No fucking way

>HOW was is meant to figure out that i can break the lightning covering the gate on top of the castle with my sword??
youtu.be/qtc6q5qfNRc?t=237

Multitasking is not good for concentration.
Focus on the game and all will be much more self explanatory.

Boomer focus>zoomer ADHD

*not to mention the hours i wasted into checking the dark world. Since i got the moonpearl which brings NOTHING. besides some rad ether spell

>you need to get the Master Sword to beat Agahnim!
>gets the Master Sword
>doesn't try going after Agahnim
Based retard zoomer

Please don't shill your channel.

Attached: 1554381542546.jpg (680x339, 35K)

Back to your quest marker games with you zoomer.

You were told the Master Sword would help you, and then you got the Master Sword.
Me personally, I just assumed that it would destroy the seal because
>what's the worst that could happen if it didn't?
and took a swing at it.

>i always ask the fortune teller
Just explore dude. I mean you've made it this far so you aren't completely incompetent. Open the map and look at the flashing shit on it. Go to each one and see what you're able to do. Otherwise just walk around, explore the world, keep track of where you've been, and talk to NPCs.

The "plot" is literally:
1. Zelda telepathically asks you to rescue her in the castle. You do.
2. "Go get that Master Sword so you can kill the wizard".
3. Get the master sword.
4. Zelda gets kidnapped by wizard. Old man says "Go save Zelda from the wizard".
5. Kill the wizard.
6. WHAT A TWIST

Honestly OP, it seems your brain duddens works too groods.

There's a reason Nintendo fanbase consists of the most retarded autists.
What other company made so many games focused on autists?

>No they don't.
Yes they did. There were plenty of super simple games to play. But for anything other than "run forward and press A and B" you either figured it out or you bought a guide. There was no internet. I know this might be hard to understand, but some people, even without autism, find fun in a challenge as opposed to being told exactly what to do and when to do it. There's a satisfaction in solving a puzzle without help.

Old games were shit, what else is new.

>There's a satisfaction in solving a puzzle without help.
Only retards find satisfaction if random trial and error "puzzles" which is all this shitty games have.
All the "puzzles" in these shitty games are just things to make retards feel smart.

The game didn't expect you to randomly bomb a wall. It expected you to know a kid who knew because he knew a kid who knew a kid etc who used a hotline or had a strategy guide.

This is no better or worse than the modern practice of shoving bits of content behind pay walls now. It sucked, but it was a part of gaming in its age.

At least the old shit got kids talking a little.

The metal gear walls are a different color and you’re specifically told that they didn’t have time to paint them.

You are a babby retard who needs an objective compass. Fuck off.

>people that can do things i can't do are retarded
lol what a stupid fucking reply

Metal Gear
Not Metal Gear Solid

In what way? It's pretty obvious what's a door and what isn't in Dark Souls. You never have to do random, unintuitive shit to beat the game.

Notice how defenders of old (Nintendo mostly) games always sound like the biggest autistic retards. Or just Nintendo fanbase in general.

If you aren't convinced these game were made by autists for autists try playing Metroid. Even the fucking manual tells you to shoot at every wall.

And you are a babby retard who can't read.

>latest thing happened in Metal Gear 1, where the game expected me to detonate a RANDOM WALL without any clues whatsoever to progress
Walls you can bomb will make a question mark appear over Snake's head when you punch them.
>>If you aren't convinced these game were made by autists for autists try playing Metroid.
Metroid doesn't have anything cryptic about it. The game just has repetitive environments and a whole section of Kraid's Lair that exists just to waste your time.

I got further in lttp than you when I was 3 years old. I got stuck at the first dark world dungeon, and that was only because I didn't have enough rupees to pay the monkey and I was too young to be able to read what he was saying. git gud retard

personally i just don't find alttp to be that good. game manages to be as slow as molasses, especially compared to the other 2d zelda offerings at the time (link's awakening, oracles, games that managed to be buttery smooth in spite of some boneheaded decisions like your sword and shield being items that you need to have equipped, power bracelet needing to be equipped in order to actually move shit, and the pegasus boots)

See how shit games like Pokemon and Smash have the most retarded autistic fanbases. Just because they are made by Nintendo. They release the same one game over and over and these retards are always hyped for it, to buy the same game they already played.

when someone says Metal Gear everyone thinks of MGS you faggot

He said Metal Gear 1.

You are retarded.

and everyone thinks of MGS1 you fucking retard, most people don't know about the NES game you retarded faggot

MSX you troglodyte, just because you're a newfag doesn't mean everyone else is.

So what is he supposed to say then? Metal Gear 1 on MSX and NES? Go fuck yourself, tool.

Well maybe "everyone" should learn to fucking read. Metal Gear 1 is not the same as Metal Gear Solid 1.

>especially compared to the other 2d zelda offerings at the time (link's awakening, oracles, games that managed to be buttery smooth in spite of some boneheaded decisions like your sword and shield being items that you need to have equipped, power bracelet needing to be equipped in order to actually move shit, and the pegasus boots)
All of these came after ALTTP.

you are only proving you are retarded autists

>metroid, zelda 1+2, nes castelvania (specially 2), harvest moon
these games were made to be super tedious grindy shit that only autists would enjoy and only autists would make

Big words from the retard with no reading comprehension.

didn't punching walls give you a different sound if you could blow them up

of course you retarded autist can't comprehend why people assume it's mgs1 you retarded piece of shit

I also got lost in LttP, couldn't figure out how to use the mirror to get to the top of Death Mountain. It's not hard so I must have been impatient at the time or something. That was the first time I ever used Gamefaqs, and yes it is gay, big mistake.

No I can understand why you made the assumption. Metal Gear Solid is the more popular series.
Doesn't make you any less of a retard though.

Metal Gear 1, 2, and solid all reuse the exact same gimmicks to the point that even solid acts self-aware about it.

OP here. Got stuck on that too for a good while and only figured it out by accidentally having the mirror equipped while trying to actually shoot the dudes up there.

I dont really blame the game for getting stuck there though

I don't know about MG1 but MGS1 was definitely just a 3D remake of MG2. I'm surprised they got away with releasing the same game again.

In the case of adventures of Link, you just have to pay attention to what people tell you and ignore your brainlet, zoomer instincts of just plowing through it until a cut scene pops up. Part of the fun of the games is figuring things out for yourself. It's what makes exploration actually feel like you're exploring.

Meant to link reply to OP, btw

A very good one actually. Subtle enough.

>retard reads Metal Gear 1, assumes Metal Gear Solid 1
>gets called out for his retardation
>proceeds to call everyone else retarded???

Comedy gold in this thread. Thanks for the read before work, fellas.

OP isnt wrong. SNES is one of my top consoles but the "action adventure" games on it are full of shit like this.

Why are you working on the sabbath?

Capitalism doesn't care about God.