Gabe self insert

>A sentient Xen crystal
>A Combine overlord
>A fucked up Combine creation
>An interdimensional "god" fucking with shit for laffs
>An interdimensional "god" fucking with shit for an unknown purpose
>Gordon from the future
>Gordon from the past
I'm thinking he's simply a plot device with no real story behind him. He was put in the games cause Marc Laidlaw liked the idea of an omnipotent fucker manipulating things behind the scenes. With Marc gone, and no HL3 (never ever) its safe to say G-man will NEVER end up being anything.

who are the g-men?

Attached: Gman_Squad_logo.jpg (468x360, 26K)

i always liked entertaining the idea that the g-man is just gordon from a different timeline or whatever

He always reminded me of Agent Smith from the matrix.

Good times

He's literally nothing until Valve releases a game that reveals his identity. Friendly reminder that he was HL1's Administrator per HL1's story script, until HL2 retconned it with Breen. I bet they didn't think him out much further than "mysterious magical creepy man".

Half-Life is a shit game. I only bought it because it was $6 and I played it once. Yawn.

Isn't he some intergalactic broker who does shit based on who pays him. At least that's what you gather from the way he talks.

So what you're saying is that he's Mark Laidlaw?

This pretty much, he's more a prop than a character. In a hypothetical HL3 there are two things that can happen.
>G-Man goes crazy and tries to kill you after you uncover the truth and "ruin everything" in which the real plot is laid out
>The game ends, G-Man enjoys this expected outcome, and leaves as mysteriously as he arrives

Seeing as the Half-Life universe is basically a non-understandable never ending series of "always a bigger fish" in regards to the immense nature of the combine, the latter makes sense. He's the window into the true level of the politics there.

Reminder that the gman has "employers" which must be even more powerful than him.
Reminder that the combine telepath slugs are "advisors". They too are just underlings to something even greater.

Half Life certainly employs the Carmack approach to story with the levels hand waving
able to accommodate any game

HL1 is still good.
HL2 aged poorly.

you have it backwards user

Redpill me on why people say HL2 is the best game ever made? I've seen many games with variety, open levels, great stories, visuals and soundtracks. Why does HL2 still top ranking lists for tons of people?

>I admit I have a fascination with those who adapt and survive against all odds. They rather remind me of myself.
He's Adrian Shepard.

G-man is a gay man he doesn't do anything except stalk the male protagonist. That's pretty gay

He was a much more effective character during Half-Life 1, when it was still plausible that he might belong to a human organization. It's much harder to take the guy seriously when he's a magic interdimensional agent who transcends both humanity and the Combine.

EEHHH
YA FAGGOT

Shitting on HL2 is a good litmus test for how much of a fucking zoomer fag pleb one is. You must be 18 years or older to post on this board.

The music, characters, atmosphere, story, sound design, visual design, pacing, and level design are all fucking amazing and cohesive. Not every game has to be enjoyable for the exact same fucking reasons.

Name a game that's more holistic and has a better flow. You can't. Just because there are one or two things about it that aren't as impressive as they were at release doesn't make it any less of a game. HL2 doesn't just have soul, it *is* soul.

Jesus, user. I wasn't shitting on it whatsoever, I wanted to start a discussion on why it ranks among people's top games.

He is an embodiment of game developer intent, his employers are Valve themselves

It isn't as fun as HL1

>the G stands for "Gabe"

You’re a fucking faggot

I know and I apologize, just really wanted to use this pasta in the thread. Although I do love the game for the reasons explained in the pasta, I probably also was influenced by it since I played it at such an early age. The physics blew me away when it was on my Xbox.
I played HL1 after 2 and appreciated it, though it was one of the more dated games I played. Oldest 3D game I tried to play and couldn't because of the graphics, was System Shock. I really wish that remake would have still been worked on.

>it was still plausible that he might belong to a human organization
I don't really see this. He obviously has crazy dimension-warping abilities as shown in the final scene

Half Life 3 when? It's been years now

HL2 would have blown HL1 away if it stuck to the beta. As of now OpFor is the best.

This is accurate

Gman might be an adult version of the combine advisor grubs, the Shuulathoi.
>Breengrub says that the ones you see in-game are slaves to the combine and have their powers restricted and cannot mature out of their larval form
>a mature one can alter its appearance and bend space-time

It stands to reason that Gman could be one, whose motives are liberating his species or at least doing some damage to the Combine, and is content to use Gordon as a cudgel when convenient.
He takes the form of a business man in a suit because that's the most inconspicuous form to take in a research facility on Earth.

Attached: 1559529102217.jpg (1192x670, 145K)

Breengrub also says the adult ones are just mindless mating machines with short lifespans

Attached: mrfreeman.jpg (668x471, 39K)

youtube.com/watch?v=BgYzOLQ8sU8
BUT HEY,

THAT'S JUST A FULLY

That's why I said "during". The final reveal should've been the end of G-Man's shenanigans, but they kept stretching out his mystery to the point of farce.