Oh boy, I can't wait to start my fun light-hearted adventure!

Oh boy, I can't wait to start my fun light-hearted adventure!

DQ thread

Attached: Z.jpg (200x251, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iwGhFFCZlMY
gematsu.com/2019/07/dragon-quest-ix-staff-discuss-possibility-of-remake-during-10th-anniversary-live-stream
youtube.com/watch?v=VL_UzXs03N8
youtu.be/e6QY1vxo_EQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: Dragon Quest 5 MC.jpg (1000x785, 404K)

How do you beat the haunted mansion boss in 5 without grinding? I tried to do it for at least an hour and Im pretty sure the only way to do it is to get lucky crits

It was fun and light hearted you went to a fairy land

travelling with your kids is fun and light-hearted

Are you guys enjoying DQ builders 2?
I feel like the whole frame drops on switch deal was completely overblown everything seems fine on my machine

Don Ramón is the best character in 4

Attached: dq4.jpg (234x320, 28K)

the first boss normally has you do a little bit of grinding in DQ games, especially just to get heal

i grinded a bit until bianca is level 5 before going to the mansion

>Ywn be as much of a chad as the main character of this game

Thanks doc.

so far so good on the switch. the only thing i hate so far is brittany, she has to be the most obnoxiously localized character in existence

thx doc

Get the boomerang

I only have a DS lite and a 3ds, what DQ games can/should I play?

Attached: 1458459153409.png (448x291, 86K)

arigatou, doctor

All of them
All of them

NES and SNES inject the old games
Play the ds remakes
Play 3ds ports

>Only
Just by normal means, you can already play 4, 5, 6 and 9 just on the DS, then VII and VIII on the 3DS plus some spin offs on both.

You can also export X and XI for 3DS, and by emulating, you can very much play all of them on 3DS (BTW, you can play almost all the games on the phone too, and they are really decent ports)

But in any case, leaving things as, purchasing games on the systems you have, by normal means, I would say 5 for the DS and VIII on 3DS are a sure bet, 9 is very good too, but the lack of character on the party has make me drop it multiple times, even though I enjoy the stories on each chapter.

That boss is so much easier when she learns Sap. Literally night and day.

>the part where you go back in time and tell your younger self that no matter what happens they must be strong and not give up

Attached: 1560975939741.png (426x410, 144K)

>I only have a DS lite and a 3ds
that means you can play literally every single one besides X

it is a real thing when your town is nearly as big as the las vegas strip because there are too much shit at this point, didn't help that SE for some reasons choose to go with 1080p in handheld 30fps instead of 720p 60fps

but for just the normal story and if you don't build a huge town with insane amount of shit it runs fine

How long would it take to learn Japanese to a level good enough to play XI on 3DS?

Thanks lads, looks like I got lots of vidya to play now. I said I only had those 2 because I actually know nothing about DQ except that its on nintendo consoles

Attached: 1562631722680.png (456x576, 523K)

probably months if you are really good, or years normally

the realisation when you actually go back is what makes that scene so great, since when you first meet the you from the future you don't know who the fuck is he

do you really go back in time? i'm only at the fairy kingdom and while it's pretty fucking obvious that it's you, i'm not 100% that it's you

it's waaay later
I think it was when you had your kids with you

user get out before you get spoiled

The wild ride is just beginning

Filename.

Attached: Dragon Quest V.jpg (1028x500, 148K)

Someone change God to Nimzo.

You're a retard and missed the point

People need to chill, the game has much more highs than lows
It's honestly a dumb meme

Beat DQ3 for a second time. Still a fantastic game. Only annoyances I had was it was a bit too vague with some of the orbs and plot items but overall a damn fine game. Playing DQ4 on NES (tried to DS and really couldn't handle the localization so I hope this one is better) which might make things a bit clunky but wish me luck.

Attached: DQ3 SNES.jpg (1280x1184, 69K)

Stop seething over a dumb pic mate.

i'm already at gen 3 when i'm getting another gold orb so i think i'm fine unless this game has a major swerve ahead

You could try the PSX re-release. Its basically the same thing as the DS version. It was never officially released but I think there's a localized ISO out there, which was made prior to the nu-DQ localization days (no accents, etc)

which to play after VIII?

I use this

Attached: 1560842240168.jpg (3376x1440, 3.14M)

kino

When I looked and haven't seen any fan translation of DQ4 PSX.

"Nah."

Attached: numen_lrg.png (1113x1042, 540K)

He looks like a fag instead of a Chad .. Only the royal ser and the best staff of the game sabes this image

V > III > VIII > XI > VII > VI > IV > IX > I > II

>IV that low

COR BLIMEY

Attached: CE6ohHxWYAAp4E2.jpg (275x303, 23K)

*Ron Damón

IV is good, like 8/10. I just liked the others better. The only DQ games I'd say I wasn't a huge fan of are the last 3.

*Seu Madruga

I think that user is confusing the PS2 version of DQV with the PS1 version of DQIV. DQV does indeed have an English fan translation while DQIV PS1 almost had an official localization before Enix America went under

I married Bianca but only because the game made me feel guilty.

Just do another play through and choose another girl. Debora has great party conversations. Nera is the most boring.

IV

>I married Bianca but only because the game made me feel guilty.
Bro she has a happy life with her husband, father and village if the player doesn't pick her. Deborah dies a lonely virgin if the player doesn't choose her.

the DS version has a third girl right? how was that handled? i feel like in the PS2 ver biance is the obvious choice sole from the fact that i don't know a single thing about the other woman other than the fact that i passed by her 10 yeears ago

That's what I'm thinking. Sadly it's the one that really needs it. NES seen fine if you are ok with NES JRPG. But if not your option is either DS with a pretty annoying localization and removal of party chat or mobile with the same localization with a quickly done party chat.

So someone either just fan translated the PSX certain it would be amazing. But sadly seem most people feel it would be a waste of time.

I have to leave now but please remember to play VI.

I don't want someone with that attitude ruling over a kingdom. I heard that in the original version bianca dies sad and lonely on a farm if you don't pick her.

not happening, gonna move on to 4 or continue going through 9 after. Besides Bianca is probably going to be the canon waifu in the movie.

>Deborah dies a lonely virgin if the player doesn't choose her.
That's no one's fault but her own

>I don't want someone with that attitude ruling over a kingdom.
Except it's not Deborah ruling, it's you.

Exactly. Still the best one.

Purely gameplay - nera is pretty much the best magic user, Deborah has less MP but is more offensive and Bianca has light mp spells like frizz and sizz, deberah doesn't change much apart from party dialogue and the wedding scene is a bit different with the protagonist sleeping on the floor during the wedding night

Nera is treated as a joke option in the story.

I would love to play DQ4 PS1 in English, but unfortunately, yeah, it's one of those fan translation projects seen as unnecessary.

Sorry, meant to say Deborah.

>go to talk to nera the night before the decision
>she's fucking sleeping
Nah, Nera's basically a joke option too

Attached: 0bd3995011d909120e118e3e3d9c5aaf.png (736x1024, 251K)

the ending dance scene is different too

I see now
Thanks user
Also yeah a little pissed they went for Graphics over frame rate
I noticed it was a way slower than DQ Builders
Aside that this game is exactly what I wanted

i kinda get it now, thanks.

oh yeah, this pushed me to marry bianca

Isn't this the one where his dad dies, his mom vanishes, he becomes a slave, finally finds happiness only to get turned into stone and then saved by his kid?

No... Yes. Five had a hard life.

Should've had his son appear in the Final Smash

>go back to Coburg as an adult
>Harry's kid goes missing
almost gave me a heart attack thinking "it's happening all over again"

Best class of all time coming through.

Attached: DQIII Gadabout.png (606x599, 303K)

Attached: DQIII Gadabout Female.png (498x600, 267K)

make way for the fucking MVP

Attached: SlimeKnight.jpg (203x249, 9K)

>guy in VI forces his wife to be a full-time bunny girl
I'm amazed that seemingly no one else thought to do this

Attached: c9b99bd6d8569a1bcc83a310cef8ae37.jpg (600x848, 129K)

>One of the best monsters in DQV that can carry you through the entire game and you can recruit him early
He's too good to us, Yea Forumsros...

I wasn't expecting to enjoy this game's story so much (I just read harry's message in the empty treasure chest and it was sweet as fuck), it's simple but poignant. How's the story of the ther DQ games, I expect 8 and 11 to be interesting. Or did I peak early by playing V?

Attached: 1562104430298.jpg (750x1000, 494K)

youtube.com/watch?v=iwGhFFCZlMY

Attached: 1382325152441.jpg (125x97, 4K)

It almost feels like cheating to bring him with me

You peaked it's all downhill from here... Either DQ8 or 11 are excellent choices if you enjoyed the story in DQ5

Yeah. It's kind of weird since even fan translators say DQ4DS want handle well yet say "well what are you going to do" and move on to something else.

When's the translation for the mobile version of 7 coming?

Considering his relatively modest 25% recruitment rate compared to other monsters plus how useful he is, I'd say it was by design that most people end up using him in their playthroughs.

5 is arguably the best game in the series, but both 8 and 11 are pretty great still. 3 is worth playing for the fact that its one of the most important jrpgs ever, however, mechanically speaking, lots of things got pioneered in 3, it even has something similar to pokemon natures in it.

>marry Debora
>son is the spitting image of Pankraz
based

one of the few, if only, protags that is mostly a physical fighter that uses a fucking stave as his ultimate weapon, and its not even like a bo-staff, its just literally a fucking stave that he beats shit senseless with.

tell me about puff puff is it just sex?

it's smile sex

>party members almost always have something unique to say in response to almost every NPC's lines
I love this
Talk to some random person, they mention something, I wonder if my wife or the kids or sancho etc. might have anything to say about it
and they do

Attached: download.gif (500x375, 572K)

Deb's kids are the best kids.

Attached: DQ V children.jpg (1280x720, 172K)

Ffffuck beat me to it

Attached: 1433548584082.gif (497x373, 328K)

I cant put it down!
Im seriously like 20 hours in and still on the first island, but im really enjoying just farming, builing my town and exploring

this is seriously my favorite game of the year so far!

wait what? How is it 1080p in handheld mode?
the max resolution of the switch screen is 720p

Pic related.

Attached: DQ MC.png (320x341, 79K)

the framerate issues were completely overblown, yes theres ocasional drop but for the most part its pretty solid. really good and relaxing game to play in bed for a few hours too

DQV protag is best protag and VII is a garbage game and the 3DS remake didn't save it from being so

Attached: yoshihiko and the demon king's castle boobies over demons.jpg (1006x1000, 159K)

I enjoy DQ5 but feel the way it forces Bianca onto you is a bit much.
"Ok your choices are someone you only spoken to once and even than knows nothing. OR the girl you had a childhood adventure with and even adopted a baby sabercat together!"

Debora being a joke wife at least gives enough laughed to be something worth doing.

Why was Maribel so useless bros?
She doesn't even give her equipment back when she fucks off, meaning you either have to lose your stuff for a solid 10+ hours of the game or get her back after said hours completely useless since you're cut off from nearly every shop carrying decent equipment for her, and you have to give her temp equipment, only for her to fuck off AGAIN and promptly be useless in the final battle due to Mervyn and Aishe both doing what she can better

Attached: maribel.jpg (163x309, 10K)

Nah, VII is crazy fun. Alltrades Abbey part being so brutal really sold me.

yeah you are correct
i meant to say switch docked
anyway, SE chose to stick with graphic over framerate for this one unlike 1.
which in imo is a mistake since with the graphic style of dgb you don't need to focus hard on it, framerate is more important

I really miss Toriyama's old art style.

Attached: 1560787872598.jpg (525x810, 81K)

Just don't accidentally trigger the glitch with her unless you really want to have a bad time.

Yeah they're the only one that actually look like the Hero

How come V's Hero never got a sick figure like Solo?

>old artstyle
art is a skill, the more you hone and practice it the better you get (well most of the time)
his "current artstyle" is just his old but with years of practice and experience.

will my boy Tuppence ever find love?

Pigtail Tien is surprisingly cute. And somehow girl thief has been invading my dreams.

>glitch
w-what are you talking about? It's not in the 3DS version right?
Alltrades was really unfun at the start .
it was just WORDS WORDS WORDS about characters you barely care about and forced loss battles until like halfway through, where your forced to stock up on medicinal herbs even you want a bat's chance in hell of even beating the mid-bosses
I enjoyed it more after that portion though, ti actually felt rewarding to beat the arena rush and get your abilities back, more games should do that kind of thing, without the less fun first half

>Budohka
Why are they dressed as Yamcha?

Attached: DBFCM_023.jpg (665x1024, 451K)

Attached: 1437926757932.jpg (827x832, 600K)

what game that isn't DB or DQ let me do that?

Every female in 3 is peak DQ. Except the thief in the SF remake.

The dad's hollow smile gets me every time.

I'm stuck in 7 at the cumulus vex boss, which is fucking annoying as they were just normal enemies in 9 but this faggot boss keeps killing me with his bullshit all at once whirlwind. It doesn't help that the walk to get to him is excruciatingly long.
Am I underleveled? My party ranges from 28 to 23 levelwise and have taken on many vocations. What vocation teaches me kabuff? That would be useful to know.

Attached: see.jpg (177x219, 18K)

Girl thief is pretty cute

Attached: 8e3cbe76d64a08bdb842e3b39fb6c631.jpg (826x1006, 317K)

I liked all of it because it was so out of left field to pick these heroes who had just lost a friend and put them through even more shit, making the player feel powerless, weak and small in-universe. As a first time player, there was a lot of tension and the stakes got really high all of a sudden.

>Why are they dressed as Yamcha?
Cause early DQ character were literally DB characters in cosplay.

Attached: 1547562623963.png (321x704, 179K)

Bianca’s father dies; Bianca herself becomes a tavern wench and is routinely molested by the patrons.
In the remakes they tone down the depressing stuff and I think Bianca might even get a boyfriend (not certain though).

>turns out Bianca/Nera meet up with Slon before
oh no oh no oh no etc

DQB2 came in the mail yesterday so I started back up in DQB1 (bought it a month or so ago...) and just finished Rimuldar.. game is fun as fuck and I normally loathe minecraft type shit...

Is DQB2 better? What's different about it besides co-op? I want to finish the first one before I start on 2, though...

The biggest issue is DQ battle system is build on spells. With a major focus on buff and debuffs. Where it becomes also a tug of war of sorts. Removing spells just made it where you just mash attack and hope the sage stone gets you through it which isn't really fun.

This guy really doesn't look like anyone in Dragon Ball though. No one major at least.

>priests carry clubs/maces because in medieval times holy men were not allowed to use edged weapons that would spill blood

it's the little stuff

sold

I enjoyed the idea, don't get me wrong. And it certainly made you feel powerless
I just didn't enjoy how much of a slog it was at the start

Kek it's literally GT Yamcha.

Attached: 1535305307179.png (150x500, 55K)

It was really fun for me to have one section where I was sweating bullets in the same way the characters were. It was like walking a tightrope, and I don't get that feeling from turn based games often.

It's in the 3DS version. There are a few cutscenes where she isn't supposed to be there because she leaves the party for a while for story reasons. After she's back, if you watch one of those optional cutscenes she's removed from your party and you can't fill that slot anymore. It makes it impossible to get through the last dungeon. I don't remember which places and which cutscenes trigger it, but to be absolutely safe don't have Maribel in your party until you see all the cutscenes in the past after she rejoins

Damn, I don't think I've ever seen Yamacha in a bad getup.

I agree, would have been cool to see Debora’s son in the final smash.

I mean I enjoy those minor takes where you feel helpless. I just felt it lasted way longer than it should.

Playing for the first time on DS, this may end up being my favorite JRPG of all time

See you in August Smashfags

Attached: erdrick with a gun.png (420x412, 126K)

Playing it on my PS4. I played the Switch demo and the PS4 demo before choosing PS4. I will say that PS4 isn't "rock solid". It generally hits 60, but if the town gets too big/has too many effects, it will shake and dip a bit. Like 5-10 frames to a point where the stuttering is noticable.

That said, it's not that often, and considering the demo damn near killed my poor switch, I can only imagine it being worse for the Switch in the same parts.

Honestly, it just feels like they overestimated the hardware, or used crazy powerful PCs to play test the game on. I would have been way happier if I could have played this on my Switch like Builders 1 did. Builders 1 at least ran really smoothly on Switch.

For me, it's Dragon Quest 9

Attached: dq9.jpg (362x500, 89K)

i loved it as a kid. haven't played it recently though

gematsu.com/2019/07/dragon-quest-ix-staff-discuss-possibility-of-remake-during-10th-anniversary-live-stream

Attached: 1387316112284.png (554x436, 71K)

I need to get around to playing V, but I'm already playing through a few DQ games. After I beat IV I'll start it

This is still my favorite DQ.

Same

Attached: oh shid.jpg (900x702, 83K)

You think THOSE are opinions? Watch this:

I > 8 > 4 > 3 > 11 > 2 > 7 > 9 > Power gap > Dog Shit > 5 > Power gap > 6.
Unironically.

Good to know. I have high hopes for 8 and 11. If not for the story then for the party banter.

Will my wife say anything about the puffpuff npc? I assume puff puff is on V too.

Attached: 1561431768492.gif (717x313, 85K)

why are hipsters such fucking chads?

Attached: HIPSTER DANCE.gif (340x400, 2.1M)

It's so hard for me to find a favorite DQ game. If I had to choose I'd be a basic bitch and say 8 or 11, but they're all so good.

>1
>good
you just walk around grinding monsters until level 30 and fight the big bad

>1 that high
at least put more effort into your bait

is dq8 on 3ds worth it? i don't know how to mod in the og music on citra.

>Everyone tells me Erik is shit and that I should drop him for Jade or Claw Rab or the secret party member
>Turns out Erik is the best damage dealer in the party
Why did you lie to me, Yea Forums?

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 85K)

1 has the most interesting mechanics involved in the series and the best design, and is easily the best video game of the Dragon Quest series.

All of the Dragon Quest series gets blown the fuck out by Final Fantasy 1, 3, and 5.

It was a good time.
I'm pretty excited to hear them think about adding to the XI story.

Attached: dq9_wp04_1920.jpg (1920x1200, 2.91M)

a lot of improved QOL, more shit to do

Attached: 4b93607903ba73ccaa590fd7f85b4df5.jpg (1056x818, 483K)

>1 has the most interesting mechanics involved in the series
>attack
>heal
>get hit by sleep and get buttfucked until you die

Attached: 2qmjbs38m4o11[1].png (544x416, 384K)

oh i remember you

>Brainlet focuses on the names of the commands you select as opposed to the overall meta going on behind each battle and the overall game
I can see you usually play Final Fantasy.

>adding to the XI story.

did you mean 9 or are they really going to add to the XI story beyond the S edition?

>Play one Dragon Quest game to completion
>Completely burnt out on Dragon Quest for the next 3 years
Anyone else know this feel? I don't think it helps that the combat/story elements/art style/music are all so similar every single game. I understand that's part of the charm, but that makes it hard to marathon them, or, hell, even play two in a row.

Attached: 1545694413499.png (253x271, 44K)

The only flaw of that game is that there's only 1 character you can talk to in the adventures and its the fairy, which is not even that bad just not enough to hold for the whole 100 hours of gameplay

i'm pretty sure we've had this exact same conversation in another thread a week or two back. The game's completely barren of content.

>FF3
Personally FF 3 and 12 are the worst in the series. 3 might win out since most of the classes are so fucking wasteful. DQ3 classes are smaller but each are so different than the other unlike FF3 system.

oh yeah, i meant 9

nope, not me
i finished 4-5-6 in a row

Its completely understandable and not at all uncommon

I always have a few months in between games
years though? no that's ridiculous

Are you fucking telling me, user, they created ANOTHER FUCKING GAME BREAKING GLITCH WITH HER LEAVING?!

HOLY FUCK, SHE STOLE MY RAINBOW DEW OR SOMETHING IN THE PS1 GAME WHEN SHE FUCKED OFF

GUESS WHAT ITEM I NEEDED 20 HOURS LATER, AFTER I HAD SAVED MULTIPLE TIMES?!

If you were there, then you would have seen me list out all of the actual good game design that went into 1 then. Unless you have something new to add to that, then let's not retrace you getting BTFO'd again.

Honestly, for me, FF goes 1, 5, 9 for nostalgia reasons, then 3. I think 9 is a technically inferior game and the story goes a little batshit towards the end, far beyond what I feel the other Final Fantasies did other than 8.

Favorite side game?

Attached: ROCKET SLIME.jpg (640x574, 190K)

You posted it

>tfw the other slime games aren't translated.

You are like little baby. I marathonerd 1-5 back-to-back before I burned out

I've been playing them since 2007, so I've completed a healthy chunk of the DQ games. Meanwhile I've beaten at least 3 Pokemon games a year in the same time period. I don't know why, maybe because Pokemon is usually far shorter and has way more replay value with being able to choose your own Pokemon.

Hell, I only need a year break in between Tales of, Ys, and Grim Dawn/Diablo games, and I replay at least one Xenoblade game a year.

user, this is like bragging about doing the meths.

never trust anyone, not even yourself

>Why did you lie to me, Yea Forums?
As a joke, mostly.

Quick, everyone, post your favorite DQ game and your favorite non-DQ RPG

>Dragon Quest IX
>Xenoblade Chronicles X

i hope the movie got limited release in the west, i would pay to watch it

DQV
Earthbound

>We trained him completely wrong
>As a joke

Attached: 1545453999499.png (616x637, 225K)

damn, what about Xenoblade Chronicles I to IX?

Attached: 1388087577218.gif (500x490, 971K)

She's just a natural born troublemaker I guesd

Attached: 65015250_p0.png (1200x840, 946K)

Hey "hero", how's your wife?

Attached: DQV_Kon_the_Knight.png (459x408, 225K)

XI
Paper Mario TTYD

Here's the bait image you requested, sir. That'll be $8.99 plus tip.

Attached: 1546452172467.png (1540x1069, 1.01M)

It was the best crack ever

How is builders 2? Grabbing it on the switch Monday.

very fun once you get going, the game treats you like a retard for the first 4 hours and gets way too wordy for shit you could figure out by just playing

DQ1 fag here.
Favorite game period is EarthBound.

She's doing just fine, thanks for asking

Attached: 73_10002.jpg (640x640, 28K)

g-good

Attached: DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS 2_20190713003541.jpg (1920x1080, 385K)

XI is my favorite DQ with VIII close behind
Xenoblade 1 is my favorite non DQ rpg

fantastic

Attached: noice5.gif (141x141, 483K)

not mother?

earthbound reuses so many set pieces and ideas while improving the gameplay that it is just straight up better

>IX
>Pokemon Silver

>out of nowhere the game drops an almost perfect reenactment of the kidnapping scene that ultimately led to father's death
>party chat suggests mc getting vietnam flashbacks
I could feel my heart sinking the moment it happened too, goddamn what a good game

It's not unusual to think I'm a really obnoxious oldfag holding onto nostalgia and that I think old good new bad, but I really do like 1 for the gameplay, and I legitimately judge it by today's standards.

EarthBound is just the full package. Great gameplay, great dialog, great writing, while keeping the player in the driver's seat as opposed to having the player be a passenger in the anime-hero's journey. EarthBound also solved a lot of issues that JRPGs had and was so far ahead of its time it took other games years to begin to implement the things it did.

Hell, enemies appearing on screen was used in Secret of Mana series, Crono Trigger, and then a huge, HUGE powergap until mid-2000ish with Persona series.

>laying in the grass as a statue staring up at the sky as season after season passes by
screaming internally

The first one had that issue as well, sad to know they didn't fix that. The entire first chapter was obnoxious in the first.

What’s the best battle theme?

V > VIII > The rest

youtube.com/watch?v=VL_UzXs03N8

Attached: 1355368515979.png (144x233, 33K)

VII > VIII > V > the others

wow that does sound extremely nice

i thought that xenosaga is related to xenogears too?

Fun fact Sugiyama did not compose the music for Swords, Manami Matsumae did.

yeah but blade broke changing to gear is easier to shitpost, it is a bait image user
unless you have better explanation to fit the saga to blade and gear

Xenogears is the original. Unrelated to the other 2 series officially, but they all relate back to it on a meta/story telling/thematic level. The concept of the Zohar from Xenogears is reused in Xenosaga and Xenoblade a lot.

Xenosaga is a really kitschy, 2000's-era reimagining of Xenogears. It started the trend of massively bloated cutscene::gameplay ratios, by virtue of having to condense a story that was intended to be 6 games into 3. The games are still good, but they're basically the DQ 2/3/4 of the series.

Xenoblade is the 2nd restart, and it starts off as a standalone story unrelated to the wider series until Xenoblade 2 brings back the Zohar, which directly links Xenoblade to Xenoblade 2, which also links to Xenosaga 1 - 3 and Xenogears.

Attached: 1538364858817.jpg (580x379, 34K)

It's complicated.

Attached: xenosaga not fei.png (352x1218, 350K)

local trash mob becomes god with just 5 wisdom seeds

Attached: 300px-038_goody_bag_companion_card.jpg (300x238, 23K)

No wonder it sounds good

Yeah i could tell he didn't do it

>It's complicated
I feel like you could complete every Dragon Quest mainline game in order before you could adequately explain the story of the Xeno-games and Takahashi. Hell, the starting point is actually 4,000 years ago in the fucking Middle East, and it only gets worse from there.

Like, how do you even begin explaining why the lovable mascot character gets fucking crucified?

Attached: 120[1].jpg (120x240, 5K)

>when his son earnestly asks for his help to take down the demon king via party chat
That shit was wholesome.

Attached: 1479260452189.png (796x800, 386K)

Oh what's this
>and was first released in Japan in July 2007, and worldwide the following year.
okay so at least it's in english always have to check for that first
>Dragon Quest Swords utilizes an on rails first person battle system.
pretty cool
>However, instead of a gun, Dragon Quest Swords uses the functions of the Wii Remote as a sword and a shield. The direction of a sword slash or thrust is dependent on the direction the player sways the Wii Remote.
oh no

i know it's a bait. I was just thinking that you can make a lame joke about retrelling the stories into a 3 part ((epic)) saga or something

DQ7
Maybe Morrowind

Also I really loved XCX and honestly hates XC2. Worry 2 was such a giant seller they would just double down on 2.

Anything, this series doesn't have a single bad game by some miracle. I just recommend going with the SNES remakes and fan translations if you wanna play 1-3.

X is so good. It had even more customization than DQIX, and it had actual characters, too. And the deepest lore imaginable.

Attached: Alex Kills Man.webm (1280x720, 2.75M)

what's the best way to play dragon quest joker 3? I've always been a huge fan of the joker series and always wanted to play 3, should I get an emulator or hack my 3DS?

Attached: splat sploot.jpg (676x581, 54K)

nah his current art style is ass

not all artists get better with time, they get worse

Fuck those things in the Pyramid.

Attached: yamcha.jpg (1300x648, 60K)

Attached: download (13).jpg (262x192, 15K)

The only real issue I had with X was switching party members was handled poorly and the mech fight wasn't really fun since Xeno system is all about positioning which in the mech fight it's just mostly raw damage.

>MC isn't just generic warrior type
>has monster taming powers, wind magic, teleporation magic, and healing
>can use all kinds of strange weapons not typically associated with JRGP heroes
>because he's not the hero, and takes after his mother more than his father
very refreshing

I thought switching was cool. Then again, I also liked Chrono Trigger's way of switching party members. Being able to talk to them and get their input at any time in the story added a lot of character to them.

>in the mech fight it's just mostly raw damage
True, but they turned the mech fight philosophy into the main combat system for 2, and people really liked that. I'm afraid Monolith is going to make the combat in their next Xeno game be even more braindead than Skell/Xeno 2 combat.

Attached: Vortex.webm (640x360, 2.57M)

I still haven't forgiven Yea Forums for that time time I was told to keep yurt the silent chef alive as he is the only one who can solve the murders.

Attached: images (1).jpg (300x168, 7K)

>xeno 2 combat is brain dead
funny you said this because the one complain i heard the most is how they are too much and complicated

Seriously? He's a total beast dual wielding swords with his extended skill tree late game. Buff him, then divide and falcon slash and watch the craziest damage numbers in the game.

Early game the knife skills can be pretty useful if you can poison/sleep bosses too.

I actually really like the new style. What I hate most is the artstyle from GT era, the artstyle used for the III remake just looks plain gross.

Attached: 1560444117345.jpg (1508x1636, 1.03M)

I’m dumb, how do you remove a laid blueprint on DQB2? I accidentally set the bathroom blueprint in the most awkward place.

Nah, i'm done doin that now

My biggest issue with XC2 was the gatcha system with the blades. So fucking bad it made everything else completely shit.

I would have been a fan of the party switching if they where all together in your base. Instead they were spread out in the city and needed to know where they were to put them in. And trying to up their relationship with that made it a bit tedious. Hopefully if X2 ever happens they will do more with that and make it easier to bounce around characters.

>I actually really like the new style.
His art style after 2010 is hideous. Dragon Ball Super is all noodle arm weirdos and potato faces.

the street?

Are there any good guides for playing X with hacks on actual 5.5.3 hardware? Wanna replay it but not much into regrinding for items... and that lack of online for the tickets...

No it is right in the middle of someone’s house and a farm.

Nevermind I figured it out. Crisis averted.

i just bought a factory sealed copy of 3 for the GBC. gonna try to get the full series boxed if i can

I play a DQ game once a year, sometimes once every two years. This isn't really all that weird for the series.

Just got here. It kinda stings

Attached: Annotation 2019-07-14 135821.jpg (771x509, 89K)

He's extremely good in general late game, boomerangs actually do absurd damage too and it's the easiest way to cheese some of the trials.

>That fucking model of the older hero.

So Glad I played the DS version

>Just played through DQ 1-3 SNES
>Started DQ4 NES
Maybe after this I'll take a break and play through 5 and 6 but still going to buy 11 on Switch

Eek those models.

Attached: 1363329306021.jpg (750x1000, 244K)

BASED

Attached: maiwaifu.jpg (602x792, 183K)

eh, they're fine for me and i also like the orchestral music that's why i played this instead of the android port

>eh, they're fine for me
Your hero looks like he's wearing short-shorts and has Pop-Eye/Gorilla arms.

They should really consider making a full-fledged Dragon Quest SRPG. DQ Wars on DSiWare was literally just a tech demo.

Attached: 1504679539208.jpg (160x128, 12K)

you say that as if that's not the case in other versions

Attached: DQV_-_Hero.png (355x600, 264K)

I'm pretty sure the armory remains open even at night, so just go back and use whatever money your got by then to make yourself fucking invincible before fighting the boss.

>You actually meet God
>He talks like Ned Flanders
>He's been stuck riding a minecart for years

>V (VIII and III are pretty damn close)
>Lunar SSSC

Noice.

It's not open at night but you can sleep want up in the morning buy your gear and when you go back to bed she wakes you up to continue. I tend to buy a few herbs explore the mansion exit when rub out buy gear in the morning and do it again. It's a way that is kind of grinding but not circling around town fighting the same enemies.

Gohan Morado con Palo Grande was always my favorite DQ hero.

>Someone made a picture of Flora and Bianca performing Muscle Docking
I did not know I needed this.

It's not. Just look at your picture. His robe hangs down damn near his knees, and his arms are quite proportional to everything else. Up here, , the hem of his robe looks like it's touching his dick, even though they're still above his knees, which makes him look awful and like his body got squished on the top half and stretched on the bottom half. This isn't helped by the fact that he's wearing boots that seem to go up to the same knees as well, along with blue socks that go higher, making it look like he's wearing knee-highs in rainboots like an autistic kid getting off at daycare in the middle of summer. Then to top all of this off, his arms are reaching the proper height that a human body should have, but because of the stretched proportions and the awkward placing of the knees, they probably had to make his arms look crazy gorilla thick or risk people thinking he was some kind of slenderman.

Also just look at his fucking belt in the PS2 version. That also doesn't help with the full image. It's supposed to go on a man's hip/waist, which is what gives his body such a huge shrunken appearance on the top half. It makes it look like his belly, chest, and shoulders are all occupying the same space on his body like he's a fucking monster who's face is also their body.

That's really what the major problem with this is. PS2 Hero looks like Kirby became slenderman.

And don't even get me started on that stupid looking haircut he has jutting out of that zit on his head he calls his """"hat"""".

>It's not open at night

You sure? It's been a while, but I SWEAR you can enter from the back.

Based. Fuck that horse non literally

Maybe but I remember not able to buy anything until the morning.
While I love Lunar SSSC I'm a bit of a sucker for Sega CD Lunar
youtu.be/e6QY1vxo_EQ

i like you user, i never said that it looks better, i just said it's enough and the main reason why i chose the PS2 version is mainly because of of the orchestral soundtrack and the fact that i can play in widescreen but you've convinced me to try the DS version next time, at least on the next playthrough.
Now let me enjoy the game, i'm trying to get the dragon orb.

I haven't played Sega CD version. I keep telling to myself 'This year, I'll play Lunar 1 and 2 on emulators!', but I never do.
I did, sadly, play Lunar Legend and Lunar Silver Star Harmony, but I just couldn't finish them. Not to mention Dragon Song.
And why WHY the fuck did they change Boat Song in SSH?

Wew older hero doesn't look good here.

>Now let me enjoy the game,
If I intended to let you enjoy a game, I wouldn't come to Yea Forums.

>tfw you realize that DQ4 w/ party chat is a more cohesive experience with better party character interactions than Octopath Traveler could ever hope to be or have
Damn, it's almost like actual fucking friendships are built in DQ4's party through the adventures they have with each other. And Yea Forums says modern, more "innovative" JRPGs do better than what DQ started. Name a more kino DQ ending with solving each of the party characters' problems, then all the characters showing up to celebrate Solo's problem solved.

Attached: 1540431951147.jpg (433x650, 64K)

DQ4 had party chat?

I did 1-7, got a little in to 8 but fuck 7 burnt me out hard

>Young Madason's eyes
>Adult Madason looks like a Fable NPC
Poor guy can't catch a break.

I'm sure Lunar 1 and 2 hold up as fun lighthearted adventures with timeless chsrming geaphics but I can't play it again. It was one of those childhood defining experiences for me long time back, and I played it on the psx emulator on my pc, early 2000s

I own both playstation versions now though.

In the mobile version and the japanese release of IV on the DS, also there are some efforts to restore party chat to the DS

Mobile version has it. According to an interview, the DS version had it cut because Squenix didn't have faith that it would do well in the West, and apparently the party chat was 1/3rd of the total dialog in the game. Squenix basically said "It doesn't technically change the story, and we're not paying for all that text, so just cut it". The translators kept fighting them on that decision, and it's only because they kept fighting that we got it on 5's.

It was supposed to in the english DS version, but Squeenix cut it out so that they could get the game out faster, which pissed off a lot of western DQ fans. That's why we have party chat in DQ5 and the like. They re-implemented it back on the mobile port, though,

Because they're lame. I dunno really but it makes the most sense to me. Haven't played Lunar CD yet myself but damn do I love SSSC. Lunar Legend gets shit on and I get it, but I enjoyed it myself. Maybe because it was my first experience with the series and it reminds me of a time when I only I had it and a GBA.

I know about Japanese version, I remember all those threads about removed party chat, but I didn't know it was present in mobile version. Thanks for info.

The text exists and I hear there's a way to patch it in, but I'm not into that sort of thing, so I couldn't tell you how to do it or where to go for help on that.

Thx anons.
I really want to replay DQ4-6, but my DS died long ago and I don't want to play mobile version. Or pay. God damn, those games are expensive, at least on ''my'' store.

>He talks like Ned Flanders
This was the best shit ever.

I remember 6 being literally dirt cheap for years then all of a sudden the price jumps up insanely.

I'm a giant sucker for pre HD anime style so to me anything but Sega CD or PSX of Lunar is just wrong.

Hmm well I think some or maybe all flashcards are working on 3DS now. Or emulation.

Explain.

>tfw you own the artbook
>IV
>Rune Factory 4

Attached: 20190714_190832.jpg (2988x5312, 3.08M)

>DQV
>Chrono Trigger

DQ3
Genius of Sappheiros

Yeah but that's just alot of Goku.
Jokes aside pretty nice user.
Only ones I played are 1 and 11. I did enjoy 11.
Okage

>Okage
Nice taste, user

>watch speedrunner play dq4
>he picks sofia
Based

Attached: ed6db663d635c74fdb1c1303a9b89153.jpg (700x631, 150K)

There's no concept art or whatever, its just the official art of villains/enemies/teammates/protagonists for games I to X and some of the spinoffs, the book came out before Builders and XI

Don't know why just looked weird going from the models on PSP to Lunar anime scenes just feels off. And the less we talk about the GBA version the better.

I got the newest book which has a few Builder. Enjoy it but which there was more sketches of the enemies than just the official design.

Seriously? I'm glad to meet someone else who likes it. I've only ever gotten shit for it. Isn't it just fun though? I just want something to give me the same feeling it gives me whenever I play it.
Hey still pretty neat.

Attached: okage-8.png (640x480, 309K)

Attached: purple gohan.png (300x500, 138K)

dq3
skies of arcadia

V-tag never jobbed, though.

>he just stand there and let Ladja turned him and his wife into statues

Do these games have a continuity? I could swear I heard somewhere that XI takes place before III which takes place before I
I'm a sucker for playing new games then revisiting the old ones and seeing the connections and references

seems like a cool guy but I fucking hate jrpgs

1-3 and 11 are if I'm remembering correctly as are 4-6

1-3 are a trilogy, 4-6 are a light trilogy, and the rest are not connected or only have cameos and references. 11 is a great place to enter the series with, but you will get a greater enjoyment out of the game if you have played 3.

I forgot to mention as is at least the original DQ Monsters to 6. Caravan Heart and 7 have a connection as well.

why are the IV protagonists the only ones with actual canon names

Attached: DQIV_Hero_and_Heroine.png (1370x1170, 2.67M)

Because they're the best

Also in what world is Erdrick/Loto not canon

Attached: 024252157cce3cd3db8ffc8f98017acf.jpg (600x848, 472K)

Erdrick is like a title apparently.

Didn't the original game have the horse monster curse them to stone with his dying breath, though?
They sort of changed Ladja's role just so you'd immediately have someone to beat into the fucking ground when Mom dies.

Attached: 1560315856313.png (1442x641, 1.18M)

This. It's a title, not necessarily his name. You earn that title at the end of DQ3.

A bunch of them have "canon" names that are said in the voice dramas and in official manga.

Seems more like an excuse for the fact that most players are going to put in a different name because they don't know about the big twist already

Attached: 64c875da94206b172c2c72168bb9e843.png (2508x3541, 2.99M)

But Eleven gets the title of Erdrick at the end of XI

Attached: 1562278057943.png (1051x694, 646K)

as well as XI
Just giving ya the information at hand. I figured it was a name too. Feels like a good name for a Hero.

I see it as the the legend of the DQ3 hero being passed down by word of mouth. Most people know that hero by his title: Erdrick/Loto. So that ends up being his name as the legend is passed on.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Man that was so cool.

>The writers unintentionally created the first cuck protagonist
did the writers seriously didn't think about the implications?
it's just as bad that he gets turned into stone by cuckhorse, but even worse that he's not the one who saves his wife, it was his kid

Attached: 1476354613244.png (418x394, 298K)

His art isn't getting worse, its just that hes getting old and doesn't have the energy to shade and detail everything as much as he used to.

Uh, no. His kids save him.
He and his kids go save his wife.

Yeah I spent like 160 hours just really enjoying the fuck out of it. And seeing that end was so fucking cash.
XI had himself a tough time.

What are some of the Hero names you all like to use? My XI was Dyne but I like to use it alot. Dragonmasters are cool.

seriously? could've sworn your kids rescued your wife first, been a while since I last played it
hmm need to replay it again just to be sure

Wife comes last, pretty sure her statue ends being brought in an auction or by some rich cunt and you have to go get her.

Play Kinobuilders 2

Attached: 16.jpg (1920x1080, 219K)

Can't believe they make another model for Malroth instead using existing one.

I'm boring and use Arus a bunch. Well I did after I graduated high school. Before then I always used my irl nickname.

Yeah she actually ends up not being sold. The dudes that took you sold you to some rich asshole and they decided to not sell your wife since they had "other plans" for her. She somehow ends up in that place where you were enslaved. Where they built this temple or something high up in the mountains. I forgot it's name.

why there is so goddamn much ntr content related with this game?

Attached: 1540820934204.png (374x376, 178K)

DQ1-3 is a story trilogy
4-6 just uses a lot of the same names but each are by itself
7-9 are by itself
10 MMO
11 is just a great game by itself but it's reference past DQ games and feels like a link to 3 but heard it's mostly just fan service

the game wrote itself

I am. I'm trying to figure out how to make a fuckign giant bath and a coop for my chickens. I picked a spot on the main isle and I've spent like 5 hours terraforming it so far.

I just beat V a while ago and feel like maybe jumping right into XI
Would you say it's a similarly enjoyable experience? V has set the bar pretty high here

Squeenix please put builders 2 on pc so that I can play it at a good framerate.
The chugging is getting ever more noticable as I keep progressing with the game.

Attached: 1538438614445.png (800x800, 390K)

Yeah, the remakes made some questionable changes.

When you rescue your waifu from Rapehorse, Rapehorse will sacrifice his life to curse you both to stone.
In the remake, Rapehorse just dies, then Ladja shows up and effortlessly turns you to stone because that's apparently a thing he can do. Then he just fucks off and the story goes on like normal.

When you get the orb to turn Ned Flanders back into a dragon, Ladja will be there and that's when you kill him.
In the remake, it'll just be that guy who was there with Rapehorse when that thing with your dad goes down. You'd kill him earlier in the dungeon in the original.

When you kill the crocodile cult leader, he prays for Nimzo to open the way to the underworld so you can go there and get killed by him, but nothing happens and he dies. Then you find the Ring of Life on him, which just so happens to be the last thing you need to open the way yourself.
In the remake, Ladja shows up, fireballs him to ash, then fucks off. Then your mother contacts you, tells you not to come after her, then GIVES you the ring... which is the one thing you need to go after her. This is dumb.

Then when shit goes down with your mom, that's it.
In the remake, Ladja shows up to gloat about it, and you FINALLY get to kill him. I am definitely in favor of the game putting it off until now. It gives you a relevant midboss for the final dungeon, as well as a face to punch immediately after the most depressing scene in the game. I am NOT for those two previous extra scenes where he pointlessly shows up to remind you that he exists, as well as fucking up the context of the scene.

>he thinks a square game will be optimized for PC
the two heroes games and to a degree XI all run like shit on PC

I ran 11 at 60fps on pc with only Heliodor giving me the chugs.
And the Hero games are KT who aren't great at PC period without post launch patches to make games run better ala Nioh.

New to DQ, what should I play on mobile ports or emulator? Im going to start from the 1st one because it makes sense or should i skip around? I got a 2Ds also if I need to hop on to that if need be.
Gib reccs and advice pls!

for 1 i would go with SNES or mobile
2 go with mobile because the SNES has a game breaking bug
3 is best on SNES for graphics, best on GBC for extra dungeons
4 on DS or mobile
5 on DS or mobile (im still partial to the SNES)
6 on DS
7 on 3DS
8 on 3DS
9 is only on DS
10 is not in english and never will be
11 on switch for content, PC for graphics, dont bother with ps4

I'd just emulate. 1 is...well...1. It's very old. Keep that in mind going in, and don't be afraid to check a walkthrough for some dumb shit. GBC version is best from what I remember, but it is a fun game.

That said, you can skip around without any problem. With your 2DS, you have VII (don't start here, please) and VIII (very good game, not sure was the 3DS remake changed from the original PS2 version)

There's also the DS remakes of earlier games which are great.

see Red stamp means you can jump in at that entry, but you can also either play them in order, or play whichever interests you the most. It's up to you.

Aight thanks lads, looks like i could do all the way to 8 or 9 till now. I will try emulating 1 for now and if i like the series i will play the rest following that DQ guide

After getting to post-Murdaw DQVI I've decided that it really just suffers from a poor first impression

Attached: 5e7d6b27c5ea6a4e7f053595a7ca72a7.jpg (600x800, 343K)

Best to play 1-3 on the same system. Since there might be some mix up in localization which will mess with some things.

Mobile might be for the best mostly because of DQ2. Not just because of the bug but heard it's easier (and by god DQ2 needs it) but also hidden stuff on the floor has a sparkle which is very helpful with some of the bull shit the game pulls.

Guess don't look down at the series of you don't like DQ 1 and 2. Those games where so ahead of everyone else and just never really got the whole "level balance" until around 3 (even than there's some bumps here and there in 3).