"To my knowledge...

>"To my knowledge, no one in or out of the field has ever been able to cite a game worthy of comparison with the great dramatists, poets, filmmakers, novelists and composers. That a game can aspire to artistic importance as a visual experience, I accept. But for most gamers, video games represent a loss of those precious hours we have available to make ourselves more cultured, civilized and empathetic."

Is sammy right?

Attached: Headshot2.jpg (400x499, 150K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ptnEtmGKM2g
youtube.com/watch?v=i8FudntXfR8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>"To my opinion,
ftfy

>comparing a title with artists
>But for most gamers, video games represent a loss of those precious hours
>for gamers

Pathologic 2

Checkmate.

>entertainment is now considered "loss"
WTF do these dipshits think we SHOULD be doing?

OH RIGHT, Sam the Ham believes in objective morality which means I believes there is an objective purpose to our lives.

What a joke, kek.

>a loss of those precious hours we have available
it's called free/leisure time

There's definitely a few games that would fit his bill of "cultured, civilized and empathetic". The problem is that games will always and forever been seen as kitschy or pretentious if they try to be anything more than "wastes of time". Because to most people, games will always just be bing bing wahoo's.

Doesn't matter what you say or what games you name, it's an argument you can't win.

Attached: 1561145793606.jpg (538x600, 32K)

youtube.com/watch?v=ptnEtmGKM2g

I don't even wanna have a conversation about how much of a douche-bag this guy is.

Silent hill 2 gay nerd man

your shoes are untied

harris and peterson wannabe galaxy brains can fuck off

this pains me because I used to be a Harris pseud in high school and it's fucking embarrassing

Shakespeare was literally the equivalent of mindless sitcoms and vidya, yet every school teaches him and his plays have thousands of studies. Really makes you think

Video Games are literally too much for people to handle, truly the most compelling of the arts.

Ben Stiller's movies are shit, why do we care what he says?

>more civilized
>i fucking hate muslims lmao
way to go schlomo harris

The irony of these kind of stupid arguments is that they are more likely to have some give on """games""" like 'That Dragon Cancer' or 'Everyone's Gone to the Rapture', than games like 'Silent Hill 2', 'Shadow of the Colossus', and 'Shenmue'

unironically true. The medium fucking started as quarter-grubbing machines for bored adolescents. It will be years or even decades before we start seeing the meaningful work of true auteurs.

please get out

>make ourselves more cultured, civilized and empathetic

Attached: C08853E6-DF9D-4528-A5F0-3B8DDF91811D.png (827x953, 279K)

Attached: 5104D419-018B-4F0B-86D9-69003480BDB1.jpg (990x990, 98K)

Sammy is not right for the simple reason that he couldn't and can't anticipate the tools and methods gaming technology can provide to create a work of art which the real world doesn't because he's not an artist and doesn't think like one and therefore doesn't have the mental capacity of an artist to recognize value or potential value of something as a tool to a means and result rather than just a medium to entertain.

You get VR, a tool created out of gaming, and shit like vid related, and you can't reproduce it in reality. You also can't built a fucking geographic location in real life to your own image without being a billionaire and going to all kinds of documentation and grants and government contracts and shit.

Attached: гифки-VR-vr-art-хз-какие-теги-5296414.webm (460x344, 2.7M)

The town made him stupid

Sammy didn't say that, this guy did.

Attached: robert_ebert.jpg (928x523, 60K)

> I killed my wife but I forgot
> good story

>To my knowledge
>I accept
lmao what a pedantic, pretentious buffoon

(OP)
Source?

he obviously hasnt played fornite

i was a fedora in high school too buy then actually reading harris made me reconsider due to how smug and retarded he is

The funny thing is gaming offers more potential growth as a person than other entertainment because the player is in control. If jimmy dies in a painting/movie/song that's what happens. Jimmy might not die in a game at all if the player chooses to save him.

>I'm rich but miss my sled
>good story

I dream of making a game that subtly helps players improve their social skills

We invented shit that makes video games, even the shitty ones a cultural grand tour in comparison.
Social media for example.

>samposting
is this 2014 Yea Forums?

Even trying to compare games to art is a category error. Games are a fundamental part of the human experience, it's how we develop models to interpret the world and practice real life. Art is just expression.

I can't wait until these types of boomers die. Especially the fart huffing atheist ones.

Sam Harris needs to smoke weed once.
>inb4 DUDE
hear me out.
One experience with a relatively tame drug like weed might cause him to realize there are things outside our understanding, that we don't have to sit and put every fucking thing into boxes with labels.
I used to really like Sam, but he's such a fucking tryhard, he's his own worst enemy.

I think vn type games that have realistic outcomes to their dialogue options without hints do that.

Is this Rhythm Heaven

Incel gamers gettin dabbed on by based sammy boy

No one praises Kane for the story.

And to my knowledge no one has made a car that can toast bread as well as a toaster. So fucking what?

>we should be spending time on cultivating civility and empathy, so we may once and for all eradicate the muslims and the niggers who are scientifically proven to be low IQ and thus deserving of genocide

jesus christ sam

Attached: 1556999038115.jpg (720x725, 40K)

Considering he's the literal opposite if right you're probably equally as incompetent as he is in this area. That kind of declarative statement is the exact thing he argues against in religious people. That inflexibility is a sign he has stopped growing as a human.

>le reddit brain number

>vn
>realistic outcome

umm sweetie, the science is settled

why do video games have to be art?

Attached: tumblr_oq1u3xcCiC1vpfb0go1_1280.jpg (576x576, 84K)

Pseud who cant argue coherently spotted

So people will stop making fun of me for spending all my time on them.

Well if we're going to get into a fucking art discussion then we have to agree on a definition for art. To me it's anything that elicits an emotional response in someone (be that positive or negative). So of course video games would fit that definition. There are games that make you experience pretty much any emotion you can imagine. I'll list some examples:

joy - Katamari Damacy
power - Ninja Gaiden Black
fear - Dead Space 2
sadness - Mother 3
isolation - Metroid Prime
desperation - Rain World
jealousy - Any MMO with rare drops
bewilderment - Myst
rage - Battletoads

Yeah, jews and asians are superior to whites

So you're terrible at English. Sorry cletus.

What a retardedly narrow view of what video games are.
Sandbox games like Minecraft are a medium with which art can be made like a canvas, and I would say actually exercising your creativity and making something that you can be proud of is infinitely more worthwhile than watching some shitty movie or reading some shitty poem.

Doesn't make any sense. Every medium of art has its shitty pop examples, does big bang theory mean no shows can be art?

>that stage of your pseud development where you pick a popular undergrad-accessible author to hate on the basis of the kind of dubious claims and data errors that exist in literally all undergrad accessible work

oof, harris is such a telling one too. you must be lower middle class. w/e at least you didn't pick DFW

>Considering he's the literal opposite if right you're probably equally
No one has any clue what opposite means in this sentence. Maybe you did jn your mind but you either suck at English and cant make it clear have autism

Attached: 1562888579803.jpg (640x635, 80K)

no. wrong. jews and asians cheat on their scores. the white man is incapable of lying because we are pure of soul, so when you remove the fake scores we're #1

Phone posting, replace if with of, not hard to figure out.

>jn

youtube.com/watch?v=i8FudntXfR8
Peterson may be a meme but he isn't a complete retard on this topic unlike Sammy boy

Unironically Saints Row 1 is. The manual itself has more character, story, and effort put into it than most games do full stop.

>mcfuck
>paying more than market value for prostitution
broke my immersion

They don't, but they are.

Movies are objectively a less artistic medium in this day and age when compared to video games. It's literally just cape shit or art films trying to normalize fags and pedophiles.

is the creation of sculptures in this way profitable in any way?

gamers aren't compatible with judeo-christian values of the west.
It's Japanese disease

lol fucking jews and their eternal hairsplitting.

if i would be stuck in Limbo for 1000 years the only media i would want with me would be Dwarf Fortress
nothing in literature comes even close to the shadow of what Dwarf Fort has accomplished

go away sam, we can smell the smug in your post

If you have a means to sell it as a package and the basic marketing prowess to create an angle, and someone is willing to buy it, then yes. Since it is VR you will be tackling eccentric richfags and upper middle-class fags so you will certainly find buyers.

>(((judeo-christian)))

Attached: BF50C849-C1DE-4476-9E92-3E389421365E.jpg (600x590, 135K)

kek

>To my knowledge, no one in or out of the field has ever been able to cite a game worthy of comparison with the great dramatists, poets, filmmakers, novelists and composers.
True, but games are extremely young. Putting aside the idea of a game with perfect design being a masterpiece because that's entirely different, although still worth considering, there are very few games at the moment that will still be held as masterpieces when the medium has had more time. There is no Hamlet of gaming yet, but games haven't even been around for 50 years yet, they're still in their embryo stage.
>That a game can aspire to artistic importance as a visual experience, I accept.
I don't think this thread realises that he's saying games can be art.
>But for most gamers, video games represent a loss of those precious hours we have available to make ourselves more cultured, civilized and empathetic.
This is completely true, he's talking about bing bing wahoo soibois, mindless multiplayer addicts and zoomers who play FOTM bullshit, and he seems to be implying that this is bad if you ONLY play games, which is true. I read books, I play games, I play music, that's fine, but I've grown out of playing every new AAA annual game because it's a waste. As long as you're not braindead, have other interests and are capable of moderation, it's fine.
Also, threadly reminder that a lot of 'games are art' bugmen literally only play video games and maybe watch Marvel/Star Wars, and therefore they have useless opinions. Don't seriously try to argue about what is or isn't art if you don't even know what an epic poem is.
Going back to what I said about sublime design, I think that's genuinely worth considering too. There might be an argument for the beauty of Super Metroid or SotN or RE4, especially combined with the visuals of the former two and the soundtrack of SotN.
And then there's shit like Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft which are impossible to classify under traditional definitions.

How do you keep people from sharing the sculpture file on peer-to-peer networks that are typically used for legitimate files?

Attached: 1561345212304.webm (720x404, 469K)

Sorry we dont inhabit your autistic mindspace, that isnt obvious. Have sex

You don't. You do like pic related did and go use those sites as a marketing tool as well.
If your art is interesting and people recognize skill in it, and you leave goodwill in your communication, there's always gonna be people who want to support your shit or spread the word in the art circles.

Attached: Social Retards vs Social Rationals.png (1004x982, 555K)

thank you for reminding me.

the sense of smell is the most pedestrian so i suppose that fits

t. Joe Rogaine

he's nearly right, though the ideal universe would be one where every conscious being has the maximum amount of wellbeing other than you.

He still has a good podcast and meditation app

Considering "durr hurr country has cunt innit" is considered the peak of English literature I'm glad, video games haven't hit that low

>the medium started as quarter grubbing machines
So did movie theaters dipshit. Look up what a "nickelodeon" really is.

He's literally talked repeatedly about doing lsd and MDMA when he was in college

The hell is this cunt talking about

Art is gay. Educational material is the only meaningful thing you can spend your time on.

pre-fame peterson seemed smarter